Album No. 18

Play the Keys to My Heart

Album No. 18

:: Track 01 ::

"Omma! Na wasseo!" Kim JaeJoong yelled into the house when we finally got there. We both slipped off our shoes and then I glanced at him holding his hand out to me. (Mom, I'm home!)
"...What?" I asked him, staring at his empty palm. What did he mean by that? Did he want me to hold his hand or something? Yah, it's making me blush!
Kim JaeJoong rolled his eyes and flicked his hand. "Your jacket."

Like a signal, a maid rushed towards us and offered to take it instead. For a second, I had forgotten that he was filthy rich.

Kim JaeJoong motioned his hand for her to go away. "No thanks. I got it," he told her and I took off my coat, slowly handing it to him.
This was so weird... him being nice... like a gentleman. Not that this was bad but what gives?

"Ah, JaeJoong! You brought BoA," Mrs. Kim said with glee as she came down from the stairs.
Kim JaeJoong placed our jackets side by side on the rack and bowed towards his mother. She must be the reason.

I bowed alongside him too. "Annyeonghashimnika~"
When I stood up straight, she was right in front of me. Talk about a shock.
She raised my face by my chin and smiled gently.

"Omo, BoA is so cute in her Ongaku uniform." I blushed and bowed my head with thanks. "I'm happy that you've come over dear," she said and then pulled me by the wrist.
The wrist! Oh this family and their habits. "If you will, follow me this way, BoA~"

Of course I wasn't going to say no but suddenly Kim JaeJoong cut her hand off from mine. We both snapped back at him and I noticed that his eye was twitching. He didn't look pleased.

"Omma..." he began and it felt like a dark cloud was looming over his head. "Don't do anything unnecessary," he said through gritted teeth. I glanced back at Mrs. Kim and she was smiling, kind of like how my mom does every time but I didn’t get it.

"Daijyobou~" she told him. Wait, what?! What kind of language was that?! Did I suddenly step into a Japanese manga?

Kim JaeJoong, our hero, only crossed his arms and glared through his narrow eyes.

Okay what am I thinking? I shook my head from my silliness and before I knew it I was led into a suspicious room. It was all dark and naturally, I couldn't see a thing.

A flash of lights soon came on and what felt like thousands of little sparkles were beaming back at me. It practically blinded my eyes.
"How do you like it, BoA?" Mrs. Kim asked and I blinked rapidly at her, trying to keep my eyes open. The shimmering crystals were making it rather difficult. "You can pick and choose whichever you like here sweetie."

I had both hands shielding my eyes and I couldn't help but ask, "Not to be rude Mrs. Kim but... what is it for?"
She smiled brightly and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Why BoA it's for-"
"AHEM AHEM," A voice coughed and we both glanced over to none other than Kim JaeJoong.
He had that scary look in his dark chocolate eyes again. "OMMA,” he warned and it was like his brain vessel was about to burst.

Mrs. Kim put a hand over and giggled. "Oh yes yes. I didn't forget," she said to him with a wink and then faced me.
"I'm just curious about BoA's taste and would like for you to help me pick a necklace for a party that I will be attending."
She answered kind of fast and out of the blue but whatever.
"Ah, okay. Then leave it to me!" I exclaimed and rushed through the enormous gallery.

Gosh there were so many pretty pieces of jewelry! I never knew how many different styles artists could shape the crystals and things. It was amazing.

"They're all really glamorous Mrs. Kim," I spoke when I felt a presence next to me. I glazed some diamonds over with my fingers carefully. "I don't know which one is best and my style is not that great. Maybe you should have someone else help you pick-"

I looked up and as sure as I was Kwon BoA, it was Kim JaeJoong standing over me instead. I quickly spun around looking for Mrs. Kim but I guess she had already left.

"Where did your Ommeoni go?" I asked him and he shrugged casually.
"Who knows," he retorted and leaned on one of the glass cases. "Just pick something you think is nice."
Did he not hear what I just said?

I winced and scratched the back of my head. "I don't know. I don't think I'm suited to do this. Your mother is so elegant and I-"
Kim JaeJoong sighed and stood up straight. He leaned on me from behind, forcing me to look forward at all the jewelry cases. His hands even secured my wrists against the glass table.
"Just look," he whispered into my ear and a tingle went down my spine. I could feel his warmth on the back of my neck. This was weird!

I really wanted to yell, 'Yah! Kim JaeJoong! Get the hell off!' but my body wouldn't let me. It was like I couldn't retaliate anymore. Gah, I'm really giving in...

I stole a glance at his face, which was right next to mine. I wonder if you could picture this but he was standing right behind me, chin on my shoulder, nearly cheek to cheek. His dark chocolate eyes were scanning the rows and rows of necklaces seriously. Before long he had caught me staring.

"I know my face is charming pabo but please look at the jewelry."
I almost choked when he said that and it was like my body had a hot flash or something.

I think I should get this over with. Too much Kim JaeJoong all up in my space is making me feel funny.

I studied the cases more cautiously and suddenly a necklace with a dangling treble clef caught my eye.
"Ah, this one!" I exclaimed excitedly and pointed at it. It was perfect and about two feet above my height so I jumped up to reach it. You know me and my shortness.

Kim JaeJoong then let go of my hands and lifted his weight off of me. I spun around with a questioning look. I mean, I got what I wanted- him getting off of me- but my inner desire really wanted him to stay.

Kim JaeJoong coughed and I knew that he was purposely avoiding my gaze. He was blushing!
He then put his hands in his pockets and yelled at me with a stutter, "Y-yah pabo. Are you sure that's what you want?"
I pushed a finger on my lower lip and nodded. He was acting embarrassed. Was it one of those moments where he was '' again? Omo, it is! It was that same face as last time!

Uwa, he's such a ert! Why'd he have to be so close to me?!

"Y-yeah! I-If that's all, I'm going t-to leave!" I shouted, so loud that my voice was echoing in the hall.

Pft, I can't be in front of a guy when he is like this. Kim JaeJoong might do something to me... which wouldn't be a bad thing... NO, wait- that's a very bad thing BoA! What are you thinking?!

I speed-walked out of the room but I turned my head back slightly to check if he was following. From a reflection in the glass, I saw his back and that he was looking up at the necklace. It made me wonder why they told me to pick it instead of anyone else. It was really strange.

Once I stepped out, Mrs. Kim appeared by my side with a beam.
"How was it? Did you select your favorite?" she asked sweetly and I told her that I did.
She smiled beautifully. "Oh I am so glad BoA," Mrs. Kim told me and gave me a surprising hug. I guess the only polite thing to do was hug her back and I did. I can't believe that these are the parents that Kim JaeJoong used to avoid.

"You know BoA," Mrs. Kim suddenly struck another conversation. She pulled me towards the living room and we had a seat. I glanced back but Kim JaeJoong still hadn't come out of the gallery yet.
"You are the first girl that our JaeJoong has ever brought home," she said and at first I felt really good. It made me feel special for a moment but then, I remembered.

My smile faded and I looked down with doubt. I suppose that Mrs. Kim saw my face and she was worried.
I felt her hand on my back. "What's wrong dear?" she questioned but I didn't look up just yet. "Has ahjumma said something wrong? Something you don't like?"
"Ah, no~ it's nothing like that," I answered, giving her a small smile. "It's just- I heard about this other girl..."
I didn't want to mention any names, especially since I wasn't supposed to know.

"Oh, our JaeJoong told you about her?" she asked and I stared at her blankly. If anyone asks, I never said yes.
Mrs. Kim patted me on the hand and sat closer to me. "It is true that JaeJoongie's first love was Stephanie."

I knew it.

"But don't worry!" Mrs. Kim quickly exclaimed. "That was a long time ago. Just an innocent young puppy love kind of thing. They didn't date or anything. They were practically just kids and now Stephanie isn’t even in Korea anymore so don't worry."

She tells me not to worry but those things are easier said than done.
Agh, why was I getting so upset anyway? It's not like Stephanie was here. It's not like he is with her, right? But still- a part of me wished that he never had that first love...

God I’m selfish! I've dated a bunch of guys and here I was getting upset over this one girl in Kim JaeJoong's past who wasn't even his girlfriend! Kwon BoA, you hypocrite! You idiot!

"Ommeoni, are you done yet?" Kim JaeJoong came out of the room and asked Mrs. Kim in an slightly annoyed tone. Gosh, Kim JaeJoong, you just made up with your parents and you're already starting to rebel again?
"If you are, I will be taking my pabo back," he said and my heart skipped a beat. He came over and grabbed my hand, pulling me away from the living room. I glanced back at Mrs. Kim and she was only smiling.

"Y-yah!" I yelled at him and shook off his hand. "I'm not a pabo! And I'm definitely not yours!"
I could hear Mrs. Kim's lady-like laugh behind us. "Omo, you two are so cute~"
I didn't even know how to respond to that and continued glaring at Kim JaeJoong in front of me. I swear that I heard him growl and his eyes looked clearly very angry.

"Wae, wae?" I asked him with my arms swinging at my sides. He kept looking at me like he was going to kill me. Suddenly he swooped over and picked me up, throwing me over his right shoulder. Kya, what the heck!?
"YAH! KIM JAEJOONG-AH!"

"Be careful sweeties," Mrs. Kim teased and then she was gone.

:: Track 02 ::

I kept slapping and smacking Kim JaeJoong's back and kicking my legs as much as I could until he let me down.
Every time I attacked him, he only squeezed my waist tighter and walked even faster. I didn't even know where we were going!
All I wanted was a piano lesson and I get stuck in this strange situation where I-

"Oof!" I made a noise when he finally put me down on my feet.
I blew my bangs away and moved my hair out of my face. I pointed at his stupidly good-looking face. He still looked pissed too.
"Yah! What's wrong with you?! Picking up people randomly and bringing them to- to-"

I stopped my rant and gazed around the place. I recognized this room- it was his bedroom.

I quickly hugged myself and felt the butterflies go crazy inside.
"WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE!?" I screamed and he didn't answer, only going to a drawer to take out something.

He then turned around with a roll of green duct tape in his hands, walking toward me.
OHMAGOD! What is he planning to do to me?! Someone, save me from this ert!

Kim JaeJoong was close and so I extended my arms in front to push him away.
"Yah, get away from me dummy! I'm going to make your life a living hell if you do anything to m-"
He put a piece of tape over my mouth and then tossed the rest of the roll aside.

"You. Are. So. Noisy. Do you know that?"
I blinked at him rapidly and if I could, I would argue that but I couldn't - clearly.

I tried though but all you could hear were my strained muffles. Kim JaeJoong closed his eyes with a sigh and put a fist to his forehead.
“You give me such a headache,” he said and then dragged me to the other side of his room. It was only then that I noticed a piano, and I swear that it wasn’t there last time.

I pointed at it and jumped up and down in my spot.
He glanced at me and smirked. “What? Have something to say?”

I knew that my face burned up and I put my hands on my hips, glaring at him with all the anger I had. He laughed and I slammed a foot on the floor in frustration. I can’t believe that I was letting him do this to me. It was then that I also realized that I could take the damn tape off myself.

I really am a pabo.

“AH!” I screamed when I pulled it off myself, forgetting that it would hurt me. Kim JaeJoong just fell to the floor, laughing his off at my stupidity. I couldn’t disagree with him this time. I really was dumb and it must be because I have been hanging out with him too much that all his stupid was rubbing off on me.

I cupped my mouth and made a sour face. “This is all your fault!” I accused and he then very seriously stood up and folded his arms to his chest.
“What! Don’t blame it on me pabo,” he argued and I scoffed.

“Well if you didn’t put the tape on my mouth, I wouldn’t have had to rip it off and hurt myself!”
“Well if you would have just shut up and stop assaulting me, maybe I wouldn’t have to put the tape over your mouth in the first place!”
“Huh! Well if you didn’t just pick me up and carry me to your room without my permission, then maybe I wouldn’t have hit you so hard!”
“Well maybe if you just listened to me and followed me here, then I wouldn’t have had to force you to come!”
“Ha, since when did you ask me to follow you to your room?”
“Do you really think your slaps hurt me?”
“Then why were you complaining about them?”
“Maybe I just like to annoy you?”
“What’s so fun about annoying me anyway?”
“Because your reactions are cute!” Kim JaeJoong yelled out and we both froze for a moment to catch our breaths.

Did he just call me cute… again?
Oh, here come the butterflies.

“Yeah, I said it!” he added with a tomato-red face. I knew that he was embarrassed and it was hilarious watching him cover it up. “So what if I think you’re cute? A lot of girls are cute! It doesn’t mean anything! And you’re my supposed pretty girlfriend so it’s only natural to say things like that!” he defended and my knees grew weak. I totally forgot about that whole ‘pretty girlfriend’ business, ever since the little girl called me that on the bus. I’m surprised that he still remembered.

“It’s like-like how you think I’m good looking!”

I let out a short laugh and answered with confidence. “Tch, I never said that dummy.”
He knitted his eyebrows in thought for a second. “…Well I know you think it so shut up! End of conversation,” he claimed, pointing at my nose. “Yeah because you see, this conversation- it’s over. Enough said, done deal, let’s move on with our lives.”

I stared at his back when he went to uncover the piano keys and sighed with satisfaction. I love it when he’s shy.

“Yah pabo,” he called and I trudged over to his side, smiling.
“Neh?” I replied, in a cute-ish kind of way, blinking at him with big eyes.
He noticed what I was trying to do and made a face. “Stop that.”
“Stop what?” I pouted and nudged him with my shoulder, stepping on his pride while I still can.

Kim JaeJoong covered his eyes and turned his face away. “Just sit down and practice already. You’re annoying me.”
His cheeks were so red. It’s the first time I’ve seen it. Was he falling for me?

“Yeh, sunsaengnim!” I exclaimed with a salute and sat down at the bench, ready to play but all of a sudden something sparked in my mind.

(“You should always address me as sunsaengnim,” he stated very seriously and I widened my eyes at his demand, putting the distance problem aside.
“What?! Why do I have to call you teacher?” I bursted out in disbelief but he kept his teasing grin.
“Because technically, I AM your teacher,” Kim JaeJoong answered plainly. “A piano teacher, but a teacher nonetheless.” I hated that cheeky look on his face.
“No way, Kim JaeJoong! The day I call you sunsaengnim is… is the day I fall in love with you!” I stood up on my feet and exclaimed. I had my finger pointed at his stupidly perfect nose again but suddenly my heart started to beat irregularly. Why the heck did I scream out such a thing?)

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. All my nerves were back and I was scared that JaeJoong, I mean KIM JaeJoong, would say something to that.

My fingers were curled on the white keys but I didn’t move. I didn’t even blink and kept my ears open for something to happen. 1… 2…

“What are you waiting for pabo?” he finally asked and I exhaled a sigh of relief. I didn’t dare look at him and only heard his scoff. “Did you forget the notes already? Yah, this is why I tell you to bring the sheet music.”

Oh. So he doesn’t remember. Why do I feel kind of disappointed?

I kept silent and let him scold me so that everything will slowly flow back to normal.
I moved my eyes to its corners and saw him walk over to my book bag. I thought he was going to bring it to me and make me find the sheets but he rummaged through it instead.

“HEY!” I yelled, rushing over to get my knapsack. “Don’t look through my stuff! I’ll get it myself!” I insisted and he stared back at me with a glint in his dark chocolate eyes.

“Why? Do you have something to hide in there?” he teased with his arms crossed.
Well, I’m not going to lie- of course there is! Otherwise I wouldn’t have such a big reaction. It was simply because I had my notebook in here and I had written that emo page about how I should get over the jerk. Aish, remind me to burn it once I get home.

“This is a GIRL’S bag, okay? There are some stuff that GIRLS have that BOYS don’t that is embarrassing for both of us to uncover from a GIRL’S bag, get me?” I smartly answered and then he immediately shut up.

I taunted him with a fake smile and then pulled out the appropriate folder. It was the same old Hello Kitty folder that he had given me on the second day of our lessons.

Kim JaeJoong snickered. “You’re still using this,” he commented and I nodded.
“Of course. You gave it to me,” I answered without thinking and for a second I thought he was going to say something about that which I’d be embarrassed over again.

To my surprise, he patted my head. “Good girl,” he said, giving me a gentle smile and I smiled back.

JaeJoong.

It’s moments like these that I live for.