The Girl With The Broken Smile

My Everything

CHAPTER FOUR 

*********************************************

Hana’s POV

In just a month, so much had happened. Kris and his gang insulted me whenever I walked past them. I decided to ignore them; I didn’t want anything to do with them. I hid my head down to prevent my tears from falling. I was never too strong to speak up every time.

*****************************************************************************

I opened the door and hastily went inside. It was Friday, which meant I had time to relax, since I don't have school tomorrow.

Something is weird.

It was 5pm. I heard someone talking in the kitchen, on the phone. The voice was getting louder and then it turned into sobbing. I quickly went in and found my mother sitting at the dining table, clenching her mobile phone while crying her heart out. When she saw me walk in, she stood up and hugged me tightly. I had not seen her like this for a long time, she hardly cried. All I could do was pat her back to sooth her. About ten minutes later, she let go of my embrace and took a seat. She looked older, framed with worry and fatigue.

“What's wrong, Mom?” I asked anxiously, looking down at her worn down face.

“Igotfired” she mumbled emotionless. 

My eyes bulged out of my head.

“What?” I couldn't believe what I heard; I didn't want to believe it. 

“I got fired! My boss said he had a better worker than me” her voice rose; she was really upset.

A million questions were running through my head right now.

How are we going to live?

“But we still have money in the bank right? We can use that” I asked, trying to reassure myself that everything was fine.

“You know we never had much. Besides, we wasted a lot of money on moving a lot,” she sighed.

I felt as though the weight of the world was on my shoulders. I knew what this meant, it meant the start of a new life; I had to get a job.

****************************************************

(Saturday, 1pm)

It was autumn at its best and I didn't want to miss it so I decided to go out to the park. I put on my large faint yellow hoodie, my favourite sweats and my brown boots. My hair was tied up in a messy braid and I had my camera around my neck.

“Mom, I’m going to the park!” I shouted and rushed out not waiting for a reply, hoping she’d heard me.

I stuffed my phone in my pocket and put on the headphones, tuning in to my favourite songs. I arrived at the park. Many golden hues formed the colour of the leaves that were scattered around. There was happy laughter everywhere. I was admiring the view. A slight breeze whispered along. I smiled something that was rare to me during the last couple of days.

It all felt so beautiful, I started capturing every moment. I wanted to capture it all. From the children playing tag to an old couple holding hands, their eyes concentrated on each other. I suddenly got reminded of my father, who gave me my own camera. I was 10 back then.

**Flashback…**

“Happy birthday, Hana! You’re a double digit number now, do you know what that means?” he exclaimed seriously.

He gave me a package, wrapped neatly in red wrapping paper and a pink stripped ribbon. I hastily opened it and found myself gazing at a brand new Canon camera. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in the world.

********************************

I miss him, my father died in a car accident. I was the only one who survived. I wish I’d died with him, or I died instead of him. I wouldn’t need to suffer so much now. But then again, I wouldn't have wanted my father to suffer like this for me.

“Every single moment of life needs to be remembered. Sorrow or happiness, every moment should never be forgotten. Everything has its remarkable beauty, it has to be captured.” My father told me those words. The man who sparked off the passion for photography in me.

I felt my knees weaken and my eyes well with tears. I sat under a tree which seemed like the biggest tree in the park. I protectively put my arms around my knees and ducked my head in them. I cried and cried.

I’m tired of holding it all in.

Tears kept flowing down my cheeks, they seemed unstoppable. I wiped them away, but they seemed to flow even harder. Everything was because of me, everything. It was my entire fault. 

After crying for what seemed like a lifetime, I was pretty sure I looked like a zombie. I untangled my braid and let my hair fall loose, letting the breeze stream through them. I lifted my head up and ran my eyes on the scenery in front of me. Everything seemed normal, and then something caught my eye.

There was a guy, sitting underneath the tree opposite me. He was holding a sketchbook and…drawing? Once in a while he seemed to look up at me. I took a quick picture of him. It was Kai. I don’t know why but my feet dragged me towards him. His eyebrows pulled up a little, as though he was asking why I walked towards him. I sat beside him. Silence filled the air, comfortable silence.

I peeked at his work. It was of a girl looking sad, her head on her knees. There was a messy yet perfectly drawn braid. Beside her, a camera laid on a heap of leaves. Underneath the drawing, there were two words written and I gasped after reading them.

Intrigued and surprised, I shifted my gaze on him. His chocolate eyes were observing me.

“I-Is that me?” I asked hoping the answer was yes.

Why are you hoping that?

He bobbed his head up and down. He looked perfect.

Why wasn’t he answering me? Is he mad at me or something?

“Did I do something wrong?” I tilted my head and inquired, fearing his answer. He put his head down, and shook his head lightly. On the spur of the moment, it clicked to me. He was mute.

“I’m so sorry; I didn’t mean it like that.”

Something flickered in his eyes. He quickly scribbled, “No pity, please” I nodded, understanding. I know how he felt.

“No, I hate pity too. Do you mind if I join you?”

He instantly relaxed, and shook his head. I felt relief flood me. I put my head on his firm shoulder. I don’t know why I did that, but it felt right. My heart’s pace quickened. He tensed, only for a split second. He was warm.

It feels so right

He started drawing a new piece.

I closed my eyes and savoured the moment. A million thoughts were running though his mind, I could feel it. All I could think of was the scribbled words under his drawing, a drawing of me. Two words, which made me, feel confused yet utterly happy.

‘True Beauty”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: 

Hey everyone! Chapter 4 is up! :)

I'm sorry for the delay in the updates, I've been busy with my studies and other activities even though it's the holidays now :(

I wanted to show Kai in a different light. The Kai that we all know is the y dancing machine, whereas here he is the quiet Kai :)

Thank you all for reading! Please comment, upvote and read. I really would love to hear your opinions about the story. :)

-RinRin ^^