Abrupt Decision

A Heart's Melody

Jessica’s POV

 

It has been a week since Sooyoung left. There were no phone calls or texts coming from her. Sulli said that they are used to this situation since the brunette does this every year whenever she is too tired or wants some space for herself. They said that I shouldn’t get worried since the last time she did this, it lasted a month. But still, I can’t stop worrying about her.

 

My father has been visiting us every now and then. He would take Krystal and I for lunch or dinner. He would ask what we have been doing these past months in the care of the Chois. He even congratulated Krystal for finding a girlfriend. But when Krystal asked him to cut off my engagement, he said that he cannot since he owes the one who helped us, and also, he thinks that that person would be great for me.

 

 

And that person he was talking about is Kim Jonghyun...

 

 

The man who has been courting me for three years...

 

 

Honestly, the guy is nice. He is a real gentleman and all. He is handsome and intelligent. He is a great businessman and musician. He makes the ladies fall in love with him with his smooth talking and charms. His singing and dancing ability is also a bonus. But he was never my type.

 

But amongst all of the ladies and gentlemen who I have met because of my parents, I am glad that they choose him for me rather than some rich stranger who I am not comfortable with.

 

 

 

If I would end up marrying him then maybe I could learn to love him.

 

 

But I know my heart would not lie...

 

 

 

Because my heart only beats for one certain person...

 

 

 

And that person is Choi Sooyoung...

 

 

 

A girl who I might or never have...

 


Yoona’s POV

 

I placed the cup of coffee on top of the desk and took a seat at one of the chairs in front of Yuri.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“No problem.”

 

Yuri takes a sip on the coffee that I made. I smile eventually formed upon her face as she puts the cup down and looks at me.

 

“You still make the best coffee.”

 

“I learned from the best.”

 

She chuckles.

 

“Of course you do.”

 

“...”

 

“Yoona...?”

 

“Hmm...?”

 

“I missed you this past week.”

 

“Yuri...I...”

 

She slightly shakes her head.

 

“Sorry about that. Never mind what I said.”

 

Yuri lets out a smile. But I know what kind of smile that is. It is the one that I hate to see the most from her, a forced smile. The one I often see when we could not spend time together because of our busy schedules before. And also, it is the last one that I saw when I told her that I cannot bear a relationship with her.

 

A relationship with no contact and trust...

 

 

“Don’t give me that forced smile Yul. You know that I hate to see that so much. It brings me memories of what we used to have, a relationship that we know would never last.”

 

Yuri stops smiling and intertwine her hands together.

 

“Sorry about that.”

 

I put my hand on top of her intertwined ones.

 

“No need.”

 

Yuri stares at me, hesitation is clear in her eyes.

 

“Y-Yoona...”

 

“Yeah...?”

 

“I know you must have noticed that Sooyoung is acting a bit strange. The three months that we were gone must have triggered it.”

 

“I...”

 

Please don’t say it.

 

“I think she’s –”

 

“Yuri!”

 

We turn around and found Jessica standing by the door with a surprised expression.

 

“Yoona? Why are you here?”

 

“I’m here to talk to Yuri.”

 

“Oh, is that so?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Well anyway,” I retraced my hand.

 

“Since you are here Jess, do you want to come with us?”

 

“Where...?”

 

“Where Sooyoung is currently staying.”

 

“You knew where she is?”

 

“I always do.”

 

“...”

 

I stand up, “She goes to that place whenever she needs some space. And I would always go there when I know the time is right. And I believe that by now, she finally cleared her mind.”

 

“But how do you know that...this is the right time?”

 

I smile.

 

“By instinct...”

 


 

I slowly parked my car in front of a villa and unbuckled my seatbelt.

 

“Are you sure she’s here?” Yuri asked.

 

“I know.”

 

I open the car door and got out, slamming the door in the process.

 

“Just stay here. I’ll be back.”

 

I didn’t wait for their reply and head inside the villa. I didn’t bother looking at the rooms because I know by heart where that lover of mine is at. I went up the second floor and walked slowly through the hall. I stopped in front of a wooden door that is very familiar to me and opened it.

 

 

And there sitting at the table...

 

 

Is the angel that I have missed this past week...

 

 

“You’re here...” Sooyoung slowly turns to me and gives me a warm smile.

 

I could only smile in return and walk towards her, cupping her cheeks and pulling her for a kiss.

 

“I missed you Youngie.”

 

Sooyoung chuckles and caresses my cheeks.

 

“I missed you too Yoongie.”

 

“Are you ready to go back?”

 

“Yeah but...could we go back later? I just want to spend the rest of the time with you.”

 

“If that’s what you want then, okay.”

 

Sooyoung pulls back her hand and goes down the table. She carries me up bridal-style and seats at a wooden chair at the centre of the room with me sitting on her lap. I scan the room and notice a new batch of paintings standing at a corner.

 

“You painted a lot again.”

 

Sooyoung giggles and tucks her chin on my shoulder.

 

“I tend to paint a lot when my emotions get to me, you know that right?”

 

“Yeah...I know.”

 

“...”

 

“...”

 

“Sooyoung...”

 

“Hmm...?”

 

“Do you love me?”

 

Sooyoung looks at me sceptically and nods her head.

 

“Of course I do. Why do you ask?”

 

“Because I would like you to be honest with me...”

 

“Honest with what?”

 

“If you have feelings for Jessica or not...”

 

Sooyoung froze.

 

“I...”

 

Her speechlessness finally confirmed it.

 

She finally confirmed the thing that I am most afraid of.

 

Her falling in love with someone else...

 

“You do...don’t you?”

“I...”

 

I could only force a chuckle and get up from her lap.

 

“Right from the start, I knew that this relationship would not last.”

 

I turn to look at her and tried to hold back the tears that are about to fall.

 

“I always lacked time for you. I have always been busy despite you rearranging your time just to spend time with me. You have always been the one adjusting. You have always been the one apologizing. You have always been the one caring. You have always been the one keeping calm whenever my temper rises up. You have always been the one giving all your love. And I...thank you for that.”

 

Sooyoung abruptly stands up and holds my hands.

 

“Baby...what are you trying to say?”

 

“What I’m trying to say is...”

 

“...”

 

“I think we should break up.”