Unexpected Truth

A Heart's Melody

An hour after touring Jessica around campus, which made the blonde exhausted from all the walking around the huge campus and left the brunette no choice but to carry the blonde on her back and ended up getting a lot of attention from her peers, Sooyoung brought Jessica to her private music room at the very end of the school where the brunette asked her parents if they could build a new building just for her, and of course her sister.

The brunette let out a few quick breaths when they reached the music room and afterwards called out to Jessica to come down from her back.

 

“Jessica, will you go down now? My back is aching so much.”

 

Sooyoung received no reply from the blonde so she called out once again.

 

“Jessica?”

 

Again, only silence answered the brunette.

 

Sooyoung let out a sigh before taking a few steps towards the full wall mirror and saw that the blonde on her back is fast asleep. The brunette groaned and felt cheated that the blonde was sleeping comfortably while she does all the labour. But, as she looked back once again on the mirror, she can’t help but put a smile on her face because of how peaceful Jessica looks while sleeping.

 

‘She’s much better when she’s asleep.’ Sooyoung thought to herself.

 

The brunette then walked towards the black couch and slowly sat down and removed Jessica on her back and afterwards gently arranged the blonde into a laying position and got a pillow to put under Jessica’s head.

The brunette stared at the sleeping beauty for a while before going to the grand piano and started playing the opening notes of a song and started to sing.

 

Who'd have thought
This is how the pieces fit?
You and I
Shouldn't even try making sense of it

 

When the sound of piano entered her ears, Jessica slowly opened her eyes and heard Sooyoung’s mesmerizing voice filling the corners of the room.

 

I forgot
How we ever came this far
I believe we had reasons
but I don't know what they are
So blame it on my heart, oh

 

Love moves in mysterious ways
It's always so surprising
When love appears over the horizon
I'll love you for the rest of my days
But still, it's a mystery 
How you ever came to me
Which only proves
Love moves in mysterious ways

 

Jessica let out a smile. She never knew that her friend’s voice would be this mesmerizing and gentle. The blonde then slowly stood up and moved closer to Sooyoung without the brunette noticing for she was so into the music and has her eyes closed. Jessica’s smile got even wider and afterwards took the next line.

 

Heaven knows
Love is just a chance we take
We make plans 
But then love demands a leap of faith

 

Sooyoung was shocked, which caused her to abruptly stop playing. She snapped her eyes open and turned around. She found Jessica smiling at her and gestured for her to continue. The brunette could only smile before scooting over and patted the space next to her.

Jessica got the idea and immediately sat next to the brunette who watched her shift around to make herself comfortable and afterwards continued to play with Jessica singing.

 

So hold me close
And never let me go
'Cause even though we think we know 
which way the river flows
That's not the way love goes, no

 

Sooyoung joined the blonde on the chorus and started to create a beautiful harmony together.

 

Love moves in mysterious ways
It's always so surprising
When love appears over the horizon
I'll love you for the rest of my days
But still, it's a mystery
How you ever came to me
Which only proves
Love moves in mysterious ways

 

Jessica then took over while sneaking glances at the smiling brunette next to her with her eyes closed once again.

 

Like the ticking of the clock
two hearts beat as one
But I'll never understand
the ways it's done

 

Sooyoung joined Jessica again for the chorus.

 

Love moves in mysterious ways
It's always so surprising
When love appears over the horizon
I'll love you for the rest of my days
But still, it's a mystery

 

How you ever came to me
Which only proves
Love moves in mysterious ways
Love moves in mysterious ways

 

The sound of the piano’s echo slowly faded away into thin air. Sooyoung removed her hands off the piano keys before opening her eyes once again and looked at the blonde beside her and caught her staring at her. Jessica turned away from the brunette in a swift second to hide away the blush that crept on her face.

 

‘Why is my face getting red and my heart beating so fast?’ Jessica thought. She placed a hand on her chest and felt her heart beating rapidly. The blonde let out a few breaths to calm herself, but only be left unsuccessful when the image of Sooyoung flashed on her mind.

 

The brunette on the other hand only looked at her friend in wonder with her head tilted a little on the side. She continued to stare at Jessica’s back before shrugging and standing up. Jessica, with her eyes squeezed close, felt that the presence beside her was gone. So she opened her eyes and colour her surprised when a wondering Sooyoung is now crouching in front of her.

 

“Soo!”  Jessica exclaimed in a high pitched voice which sounds like a dolphin.

 

Sooyoung then immediately covered her ears and groaned.

 

“Argh! Jessica! My ears are bleeding!”

 

Worry struck the blonde in an instant as she quickly bowed down and told her apologies.

 

“Mianhe Sooyoung-ssi! Mianhe!”

 

When Sooyoung’s hearing came back, the brunette let out a smile and removed her hands on her ears.

 

“It’s okay Miss Jung.”

 

Jessica peeked at the brunette with one eye and saw Sooyoung smiling at her. The blonde let out breath, glad that the brunette is alright and lifted her head up. The brunette then put a hand on the blonde beauty’s forehead to check if she’s alright.

 

“Oh...You’re alright.”

 

Sooyoung then retreats her hand and smiled again at Jessica.

 

“What do you mean?” The blonde knitted her brows.

 

“Well, your face was red earlier, so I thought that you are having a fever. But I guess you’re alright now.”

 

Jessica stared at the innocent shikshin blankly and after a while burst into a fit of laughter.

 

“Why are you laughing?”

 

Sooyoung tilted her head again; curious to know what’s happening to her blonde friend.

 

Jessica only shook her head and continued to laugh. A while later after her continuous laughter, the blonde’s laughter subsided. But, a smile is still plastered on her face.

 

“So do you mind telling me now why did you laugh?”

 

Jessica stuck out her tongue.

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Yah! That’s not fair.” Sooyoung pouted and crossed her arms.

 

The blonde mentally cooed at the sight, but on the outside, she rolled her eyes to hide the truth that she adores the look that Sooyoung is having.

 

“Nope.” She teasingly said.

 

The brunette, who is now getting irritated about Jessica’s refusal to tell her, gritted her teeth.

 

“Jessica!”

 

“Sooyoung!” The blonde copied the brunette’s form.

 

“Why do you have to be so stubborn?”

 

“Me? Stubborn? As if!”

 

“Why you...”

 

The brunette was ready to pounce on the blonde when a familiar voice interrupted her.

 

“Sooyoung!”

 

Both girls snapped their heads to where the voice came from and found a girl with black hair and dark skin standing at the door with a worried look upon her face.

 

“Yuri!” Sooyoung happily shouted as she got up from her crouching position and ran to the girl and gave her a hug. The black-haired gave the brunette a squeeze before pulling away.

 

“It’s nice to see you again Yuri.” The brunette smiled.

 

Yuri smiled in return, but the worried look upon her face never vanished.

 

“You too Youngie. But listen, it’s about Yoona.”

 

Sooyoung heart sped up at the mention of her girlfriend.

 

“Why? What happened to her?”

 

“Mr. Im called me to tell you that Yoona’s asthma attacked again.”

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widen.

 

“What?!”

 

Yuri only kept silent as the brunette processed the information and tried to calm herself.

 

“W-Where is she?”

 

“The usual.”

 

Sooyoung nodded her head.

 

“Yuri, will you bring Jessica along the hospital?”

 

The black-haired raised a brow.

 

“Jessica?”

 

Sooyoung turned around and pointed at the now standing blonde coming towards them. Yuri scanned Jessica first before nodding her head. “Okay, I will.” She replied.

 

The brunette gave her friend a thankful smile.

 

“Thanks Yuri.”

 

Sooyoung leaned in and placed a kiss on Yuri’s cheek, which caused Jessica’s chest to tighten, and afterwards sprinted off the building and headed to the school building where the parking lot is located.

Yuri watched the brunette’s retreating form before turning back to Jessica who is now standing a few meters away from her.

 

“You’re Jessica Jung right? The daughter of the owners of the Jung Enterprises?”

 

Images of her parents filled the blonde’s mind as she nodded meekly.

 

“Yes.”

 

They stared at each other for a while before Yuri let out a smile.

 

“You know, my family and yours are accomplices just like Sooyoung’s. So don’t worry Miss Jung. I won’t do anything to you. In fact, Mr. Jung called me a few days ago and told me to be friends with you and to check up on how’s your life with the Choi family.”

 

Jessica’s eyes widen.

 

“Wait, you spoke with my father?”

 

“Didn’t you listen carefully just a while ago?”

 

Yuri let out a chuckle.

 

Jessica only looked at her before shaking off the thoughts of her parents and eventually spoke up once again.

 

“Anyways, when we’ll be going to Yoona’s?”

 

“Right now.”

 


 

Yuri and Jessica walked at the hall where Yoona’s private room is located. When they found it, they stopped in front of the room before Yuri knocked gently and afterwards opened the door. Yuri was the first one to go inside followed by Jessica.

And as Jessica came in and looked at the bed where Yoona is laying, she felt her chest tighten at the sight of her friend looking so pale and lifeless. The blonde felt tears brim on her eyes. This is the first time that she saw Yoona, who is jolly and full of life all the time, being so weak.

Jessica’s eyes then shifted to Sooyoung who is sitting on a chair next to Yoona’s bed and is holding the black-haired’s hand tightly while caressing her face.

The blonde could clearly see the worry that is in the brunette’s eyes. No one would really want to see their loved one in this state, especially Sooyoung who has been with Yoona for quite a very long time. The brunette then brought Yoona’s hand on her lips and placed a kiss on it.

 

“Be strong Yoong. I’ll be here when you wake up. I love you.” Sooyoung whispered.

 

Jessica watched the scene in front of her before looking at Mr. Im who is seating on the couch at the other end of the room worriedly. Even though Jessica had only met him for a few times, she could tell that the man is very loving and kind, especially towards his daughter. Jessica felt even sadder for the man. So, the blonde walked towards him and sat beside the man who turned to look at her in an instant.

 

“Yoona’s going to be alright Mr. Im.” Jessica gave a reassuring smile.

 

The man smiled in return and turned to look at his daughter once again.

 

“I hope so...”

 

The room was silent aside from everyone’s breathing. They only looked at the sleeping girl on the bed with worry. They silently prayed that Yoona will be alright. And after a while, Yuri asked Jessica to come with her outside to buy food for them.

 

Jessica is the first one to head out while Yuri followed her. Once the door is closed, Yuri stopped the blonde from taking a step by holding her hand. Jessica then turned to look at her with curiosity.

 

“What are you doing?” Jessica asked.

 

“Do you want to know?”  Yuri replied with a serious tone.

 

Jessica knitted her brows together.

 

“Know about what?”

 

“About Yoona’s real health status.”

 

Now Jessica is getting confused.

 

“What do you mean real health status?”

 

Yuri looked at Jessica’s eyes before sighing. “Come with me.” The black-haired commanded and dragged the blonde further away. Jessica couldn’t help but just follow the black-haired to wherever she’s taking her.

 

A minute later, they stopped at a terrace that is overlooking the streets of Incheon.

 

“So, mind telling me what is her real health status?” Jessica asked the girl beside her.

 

Yuri kept silent for a while and leaned on the railings.

 

“Yoona...She’s...”

 

Jessica is getting impatient as curiosity coursed within her.

 

“She’s what?”

 

“She has cancer.”

 


 

Song: Love Moves in Mysterious Ways By Julia Fordham Covered By Nina