What Happened

A Heart's Melody

Author's Note:

Thank you to all that commented at the last chapter. Now I finally know who to choose. But until then, it is a secret. You still have to wait a few chapters more.

Anyway, here's another crappy chapter to all of you.

 


 

Jessica’s POV

 

I am currently alone with the girl who captured my heart in this cold Friday evening. Everyone else left for dinner a little earlier and said that they will just bring us food when they get home. I really wanted to join them, but because of a sleeping Sooyoung who did not even budge out of extreme tiredness, I was left here to look after her.

 

Stepping out of the bathroom in a new set of clothes, I grab my phone on top of my desk and walk out of the room to see if the tall brunette is awake. Sooyoung is sleeping on the couch at the living room, which is why her parents reminded me over and over again to never leave her alone because she might fell or be kidnapped or whatever excuse they have to make me stay with her.

 

I take light steps towards the living room and find Sooyoung still peacefully sleeping on the half lit room. I take steps closer to her and position myself in front of her while sitting down with my legs crossed on the floor.

 

Sooyoung is hugging a couch pillow with her knees drawn up and her chin tilted. She looks like a child with that sleeping position of hers. She looks so cute and innocent. She makes me want to kiss her and hug her all night long.

 

 

But I know...

 

 

That would just be a perfect delusion...

 

 

That would never come true...

 

 

I gently trace her forehead, down to her nose, and eventually stop on her lips. Feeling her lips with my finger makes me want to lean in and kiss her. Her lips are very tempting right now. But if I do that with her current state, then it would be considered taking advantage of someone. And I don’t want that, which is why I retrace my finger before I could do something foolish.

 

 

*Sigh*

 

 

“Why do I have to fall for you?”

“...”

“It would have been easier if it were Yuri or anyone else.”

“...”

“But why amongst all people did I fell for you?”

“...”

“Someone who...”

“...”

“Someone who I can’t have...”

 

 

And might never have...

 

 


 

Yuri’s POV

 

I silently enter the gates of the Choi residence with the spare key Siwon oppa gave me. I left my sandal outside and got inside the house. The rooms are half lit and the corridors are silent. There are no other people in sight which only means one thing, they all went for dinner.

 

Geez...

 

What a perfect timing I have.

 

I am really looking forward to see Jessica tonight especially that I this will be the first time that I will see her ever since we came back. But I guess I can’t see her tonight. I’m sure that she will tease me again for being too much into my work that I did not even meet her for how many days now. And I hate to hear those words come out because it would totally make me feel like I am a very bad friend to her.

 

 

*Sigh*

 

 

How unfortunate.

 

 

I searched around the rooms and still found no one, until I enter the living and found Jessica with tears flowing down her eyes, sitting on the floor and looking at a sleeping Sooyoung.

 

She looks so fragile and in pain.

 

And by the looks of it, it must be something connected to Sooyoung and Yoona.

 

Something...

 

That made my friend into this pitiful state...

 

 

“Why are you crying?” I said in an audible voice which is enough to make Jessica turn to me with that tears filled eyes of hers.

 

“Yuri?”

 

I smile, “The one and only.”

 

“Why are you here?”

 

I shrug, “To see you.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Do I really have to answer that? I’m sure you know the answer by heart right?”

 

She smiles.

 

“You’re right...”

“...”

“Jerk...”

 

 

Sigh.

 

 

And so the ‘making Yuri feel bad because she didn’t visit her friend because she is to focused with her works’ operation is definitely going to happen...

 

 

Lucky me...

 

 


 

“Here you go.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Yuri drinks the coffee that Jessica made whereas the blonde takes a seat beside her at the table.

 

“You make good coffee Sica.”

 

She shrugs, “Well I learned from the best.”

 

“By best you mean Sooyoung?” Yuri shoots her a teasing look.

 

“Yeah. She has been teaching me how to make coffee this past month.”

 

“That’s so sweet of her then.” Yuri teasingly said.

 

Jessica rolls her eyes.

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Bitter much?”

 

“No, just annoyed.”

 

“Of whom?”

 

“You.”

 

“Ouch...”

 

Yuri places a hand on her heart as if she was really hurt with the blonde’s words.

 

Jessica sighs, “Stop fooling around Yuri.”

 

“But –”

 

“Instead, just tell me what happened between you and Yoona.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Just curious, that’s all.”

 

Yuri lifts a brow. She knows that behind Jessica’s question lies a deeper question, a question that will reveal the answer once she will tell what happened between her and Yoona. But she doesn’t know what it is, and only Jessica knows.

 

That’s why she decides that she will tell her...

 

To help her friend discover the answer of her question...

 

 

“Okay, then listen carefully.”

“...”

“I’m going to tell you what happened to us just once, okay?”

“...”

“Okay...”

 

Yuri takes in a deep breath and remembers what happened on their time together.

 

“Here it goes...”

 


Flashback...

 

“Are you cold?”

 

Yoona lifts up her head and smiles reassuringly at a worried Yuri.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“But you don’t look well.”

 

“Trust me...I’m okay. Besides, I already got treated a month and a half ago. So that means you don’t have to worry like what you used to Yuri.”

 

The doe-eyed smiles sadly and turns back at the busy streets at night while leaning on the railings. Yuri just watched her, but she can’t help to think that there is something going on with her ex-lover’s head. And knowing her for years, she knows that Yoona misses a certain someone with the way she is acting right now.

 

“Miss Sooyoung?” Yuri leans on the railings.

 

Yoona sighs, “So much...”

 

“...”

 

“You know...if she were here, she would have already placed her jacket on my shoulders and hugged me from behind to make me feel warm.”

 

The way Yoona fondly said each word made Yuri see how much the girl loves Sooyoung. How much the doe-eyed loves the girl more than anyone else excluding her father. And that is why Yuri cannot help but feel a little jealous with her friend, who made her ex-lover that she is still in love with, fall in love again.

 

“You really love Sooyoung so much do you?”

Yoona turns to Yuri and lets out a gentle smile.

 

“Of course I do.”

 

“So does that mean I don’t have a chance?”

 

The made Yoona froze.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Yuri sighs and grips on the railing for dear life.

 

“Do I still have a chance?”

 

“On what exactly...?” Yoona hesitantly asked.

 

“Making you mine again.”

 

“Yuri...I...”

 

“...”

 

“I want to confess to you that I still love you.”

 

Those words made Yuri’s heart beat faster.

 

“You always will have a special place in my heart.”

“...”

 

“But being away from Sooyoung for too long and being here alone with you made me realize that...”

 

“...”

 

“I don’t love you...not that way anymore...”

 

Yuri’s heart came to a stop while she fought back tears daring to fall.

 

“Yuri...what we had is in the past. We could never go back in time and bring what was lost. Our relationship back then was beautiful while it lasted. And it will always be a good memory to me whenever we will get much older.”

 

Yoona takes a step forward and wraps her arms tightly around Yuri’s waist, burying her face on the girl’s shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry Yuri...”

 

This time, Yuri didn’t hold back anymore. She let her tears flow down as she wrapped her arms around Yoona’s neck, pulling the girl much closer than ever before. She bask in the warm feeling of having the girl close to her like this, because maybe, maybe this will be the last time that she will get to hug the girl she loves before they will go back to Korea in four weeks.

 

“I guess this little trip of our finally made you feel the closure you need, am I right?” Yuri whispered.

 

“Yeah...”

 

“...”

 

“Could I say something crazy to you for one last time?”

 

“...Sure...”

 

“...”

 

“I love you.”

 

“...”

 

“I love you too.”

 


 

"And that's what happened."

 

“Oh...”

 

Yuri drinks her coffee and afterwards let out a breath.

 

“So enough with us. I think it is your turn to tell me what happened between the two of you.”

 

“But –”

 

“No buts Jess. Fair is fair. You should share what happened between the two of you.”

 

“But I –”

 

“Yuri?”

 

The girls turned to the direction where the voice came from and found Sooyoung standing by the entrance of the dining room.

 

“Sooyoung? When did you wake up?” Yuri stands up and gives a warm hug to her friend who reciprocated immediately.

 

“About two minutes ago.”

 

“Well anyway, why are you here Yul?”

 

Yuri shrugs, “To visit Jessica.”

 

“Jessica?”

 

Somehow, the tone of Sooyoung changed into a different one as what the two girls noticed.

 

“Yeah, I haven’t seen her since we got back. That’s why I decided to give her a surprise visit. And it was lucky for me that the two of you didn’t join everyone else for dinner.”

 

“Well I have been busy these days, but not like you who always keeps on working and working even if I offered to treat you to any place you want just to pull you out of your work for how many times now.”

 

Yuri gives her a cheeky smile.

 

“Sorry about that. I promise to make it up to you next time.”

 

“Make sure you will keep that Kwon.”

 

“I will Choi.”

 

The two girls giggled at their silliness until they heard the door slide open at the main entrance.

 

Jessica approaches them, “What was that?”

 

“Maybe they are already back.” Yuri replied.

 

“But Siwon oppa or Sulli would announce that they returned home.” Sooyoung informed.

 

Jessica nods in agreement, “Sooyoung’s right.”

 

“...”

 

“Should we check it out?” Yuri asked.

 

“Sure.” Sooyoung replied.

 

The girls move out of the dining room with Sooyoung holding Jessica’s hand tightly to protect her from any incoming danger. The girl knows that Yuri could protect herself very fine, but Jessica on the other hand is a princess meant to be protected by a prince, or in their case, a princess.

 

“Should we call the police?” Jessica whispers.

 

“Not yet.” Yuri answers.

 

The three girls continued to walk silently at the main entrance until they saw a silhouette of a man standing by the door. They slowly approach it cautiously and prepared themselves if anything would happen to them.

 

But when Sooyoung and Yuri are about to knock the man unconscious, something unexpected made them stop on their tracks.

 

 

 

Something...

 

 

 

That is completely unexpected...

 

 

 

“Dad?”

 

The man turns around and smiles widely when she saw Jessica.

 

“Jessica! I missed you!”

 

He hugs his daughter, which was reciprocated instantly, and places a kiss on her temple.

                             

“Dad I missed you too, but why are you here?”

 

“To bring you back home.”

 

“...”

 

“And to get you engaged with the person who helped us with our bankruptcy issue.”