Keeping A Hard Secret

A Heart's Melody

Jessica’s POV

 

“She has cancer.”

 

I didn’t know how to react. My mind short circuited. I didn’t know what to feel. Because all I thought about is what Sooyoung’s feelings are regarding this situation of her beloved. I’m worrying about her safety. She might never love again, or worse, she might kill herself due to depression.

 

And I shivered at the thought.

 

“D-Does Sooyoung k-know about t-this?” I stuttered out.

 

Yuri shook her head.

 

“Unfortunately, no. We can’t let her know about this.”

 

“But why? She deserves to know of all people with the exception of Yoona’s father.”

 

The black-haired sighed.

 

“Listen, okay?”

 

I stared at her eyes for a minute before nodding my head and gestured for her to go on.

 

“We were just told about it earlier this morning. When Yoona and her father went to the hotel where Yoona’s father’s cousin is currently staying, her asthma began to attack. Mr. Im rushed her to the hospital since Yoona is struggling to breathe. Then, when Yoona is sleeping, their personal doctor came in and told Mr. Im about the news, that Yoona’s asthma turned into a lung cancer. Mr. Im called me immediately since next to Sooyoung, I’m Yoona’s closest friend. He begged me not to tell it to Youngie since he’s afraid of her well-being.”

 

I latched on every word that left Yuri’s mouth.

 

“So...W-What stage is she now?”

 

“Three.”

 

“Oh...”

 

Silence took over between us. I tried to process everything that Yuri said. But, even if my mind already figured it out, my heart still refuses to believe it.

 

“Are you sure we are not going to tell Sooyoung?”

 

She nodded.

 

“But-”

 

“Let Yoona be the one to personally tell her. But now, she’s not yet ready. Please do obey our friend’s wish.” Yuri bowed down.

 

“Fine, I will.”

 

Yuri rose up and gave me a small smile.

 

“Thank you for cooperating, Ms. Jung.”

 


 

The two came back with food in hand. They slowly pushed the door open and entered inside one by one. Their eyes instantly fell on the girl who is laying on the bed but is now awake. Yoona noticed them enter and diverted her attention from her girlfriend and looked at the two girls standing by the door with smiles on their faces.

 

“Yul! Sica!” She happily called out.

 

Yuri chuckled at the girl.

 

“So energetic now, are we?”

 

“Well, it’s better to be energetic than being weak and waiting when you’ll be out of this hospital.” Yoona shrugged with a cheeky grin plastered upon her face.

 

Yuri just smiled and made way to Mr. Im, who is now smiling but deep inside is hurting, and gave him his food.

 

“Gomawo Yuri-ah.”

 

“It’s no problem Mr. Im.”

 

“Yul, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Uncle whenever it’s only us around?” The man raised his brow.

 

Yuri could only giggle.

 

“I’m sorry Uncle. It just slips my mind sometimes. It’s just you’re this big boss when others are around. And besides, I’m used to the way I call you Mr. Im or Sir.”

 

“Tsk! Excuses.”

 

The man playfully rolled his eyes.

 

Yuri could only laugh at his silly antics.

 

Jessica, who was oblivious to what they are saying, is getting confused by the second.

 

And so, she couldn't take it any longer and opened to speak.

 

"So Yoona and Yuri are cousins?"

 

Everyone, who was so absorbed with one another, snapped their heads to the innocent blonde beauty.

 

"No, we're not." Yoona denied.

 

"It's just that our family, including Youngie's, are so close to each other that we call each other's parents as uncle and aunt, or sometimes mom and dad when our famillys get together in a vacation." Yuri continued.

 

"Oh...So that explains it." Jessica mumbled to herself.

 

Sooyoung who is watching the blonde with an amused smile let out a giggle.

 

"Jessica is really cute." She cooed.

 

"Yeah, she really is." Yoona seconded.

 

Their comments made the blonde blush a little and let out a pout with her arms crossed.

 

"You're just teasing me."

 

Sooyoung chuckled and stood up from her spot and moved behind Jessica to give her a back hug.

 

"We are not teasing you Sica." 

 

"Oh shut up Youngie."

 

"Yah! Watch your mouth young lady!"

 

"Gah! You're so loud Soo!"

 

"What?!"

 

They continued their bickering session that they didn't even notice that someone is already hurting inside.

 

Someone...who is watching them in pain.

 

'Maybe It's time for me to let you go, Soo.'

 


 

A few hours after, Mr. Im left first. He asked them to take care of Yoona in place of his absence. The girls bid him goodbye with smiles upom their faces. Two hours after, Sooyoung was getting hungry even after the amount of food that she ate earlier. She brought Yuri along with her and left Jessica alone with Yoona.

 

Jessica looked away from the door and headed to the chair next to Yoona and sat on it.

 

Yoona watched her movements and let out a small smile.

 

"I'm sure you have questions to ask." 

 

"I guess I can't keep anything from you, huh?"

 

A smile graced the blonde's face.

 

"Well, I can read your actions clearly Sica."

 

Yoona shrugged.

 

A moment of silence came before them until finally, the blonde took courage and spoke up.

 

"Why won't you tell Sooyoung?"

 

"So...Yuri already told you huh?"

 

Jessica nodded.

 

Yoona looked at her with sad eyes as she let out a sigh.

 

"Because it hurts to see her cry when she'll know the truth."

 

Seeing the sad look upon her friend's face made the blonde to realize that she shouldn't meddle with such things as serious as this.

 

"So when will you be ready to tell her?"

 

"I'm sure that I will always be not ready to tell her but, I'm also sure that Sooyoung will catch up with this secret we are keeping from her. She's too smart for her own good." Yoona faked a laugh that Jessica could see through.

 

Jessica let out a sigh and placed her hand on top of Yoona's and gave it a squeeze.

 

"I guess she is."

 

"Jess?"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Will you promise to keep this secret from her?"

 

The blonde stared directly at Yoona's pleading eyes and afterwards made her decision.

 

"Yes, I will."

 


 

An hour after, visiting hours are over, which means that Yuri and Jessica has to go. But before they bid goodbye, the blonde asked if she could be alone with the brunette for a little while. Yoona and Yuri understood her wish and allowed her to be alone with the shikshin. 

 

Jessica pulled Sooyoung out of the room with her hand gripping on the brunette's wrist and gently closed the door.

 

The blonde then released her grip on the bewildered brunette and gave her a hug.

 

"No matter what happens Youngie, I'm here for you." Jessica assured.

 

Sooyoung, who doesn't know what's going on, awkwardly hugged Jessica in return while gently patting her back.

 

"I'm not sure what you're talking about but, I'm glad you said those words Sica."

 

Jessica just nodded and buried her face on Sooyoung's shoulder.

 

'I'm always here for you.'