Runaway

A Heart's Melody

Sooyoung’s POV

 

I felt my heart squeeze when I heard those words come out of his mouth. It pains me to imagine Jessica leaving us just to get engaged forcibly to someone. Never have I expected her father to go here and bring her back. But a month has not passed yet. She cannot leave.

 

 

 

Not yet.

 

 

 

 

Not now.

 

 

 

“She’s not leaving.”

 

I move beside a paralyzed Jessica and intertwine my hand with her.

 

“Sir, as much as I respect you as her father and as our business partner, you just can’t forcibly make your daughter to marry someone against her will. She deserves to choose the one her heart desires. She’s not just a tool that you could use whenever you want.”

 

Mr. Jung looks at me from top to bottom with his arms crossed.

 

“Judging from your looks, you must be Choi Sooyoung right?”

 

“Yes sir.”

 

There was a dead silence between us.

 

“Who are you to my daughter?”

 

“Pardon me?”

 

“What is your relationship with my daughter?”

 

He takes a step forward towards me.

 

“Are you just a mere acquaintance?”

 

He takes another step.

 

“Are you a close friend?”

 

He stops in front of me.

 

“Or are you her lover?”

 

His aura is intimidating me. He is trying to scare me with his authority as her father. His eyes tell me to not try to oppose his wishes. But as I look at Jessica at the corner of my eyes, that sad and helpless look she is giving me brought me my resolve to stand up for her.

 

“I am a close friend sir.”

 

He sarcastically laughs at my answer.

 

“See? You said yourself. You are just a mere close friend. You have no right to tell me what is best for my daughter. Jessica deserves someone worthy.”

 

I scoff.

 

“So you’re saying that the person you want for her is worthy because he or she helped you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

I chuckle.

 

“I respected and admired you for how many years Mr. Jung. But I never knew how cruel and selfish you are to your daughter. I mean, do you even love her?”

 

“I do.”

 

“But then why are you treating her like she’s some ?!”

 

My loud angry voice made him speechless. Another dead silence came in between us as I glared at him. But after a while of soothing from Yuri, I finally calmed down and compose myself.

 

“I think you should leave sir.”

 

“...”

 

“This place is not suited for you.”

 

“...”

 

He sighs in defeat.

 

“Fine. I understand.”

 

He turns to his daughter and gives her a short hug.

 

“I will see you next time Jessica.”

 

“Okay dad.”

 

The man nods at her, then us, and finally left.

 

“What a jerk of a father you have Jess.” Yuri commented.

 

Jessica shakes her head, “No, he’s not. He just wants the best for me.”

 

I scoff, “Best my .”

 

Jessica turns to me and gives me a small smile.

 

“Thank you for standing up for me Soo.”

 

I only nodded and pull her in an embrace.

 

 

Gosh...

 

 

It feels so relaxing to feel her warmth against me.

 

 

This is the first time that I have been this angry for someone.

 

 

And I am glad that I did it for Jessica.

 

 

“I will always be here for you Jess.”

 

I can hear a whimper coming from her.

 

“Thank you.”

 


Yuri’s POV

 

I’ve never seen Sooyoung that angry before. Even if she rarely gets angry, this is the first time that I saw her about to lose control. Her eyes sparked with anger and will. She really wants to protect Jessica. And I can’t help but admire her for that.

 

 

But the way she is soothing Jessica now...

 

 

It feels different.

 

 

Maybe...

 

 

It has something to do with the time they spent together when we were gone.

 

 

There must be something that happened between the both of them.

 

 

But I am not in the right place to ask that.

 


Jessica’s POV

 

I snuggle close to Krystal who stayed with me all night when she heard what happened from Sooyoung when they came back. Sulli and Siwon oppa gave me sympathy and hugged me tightly. Mr. and Mrs. Choi only patted me on the shoulder and apologized as a close friend and business partner for my father’s actions.

 

Them caring for me, makes me feel like I really belong to their family despite that I am only just staying her with my sister for the mean time. I grew to love them so much. And the bond we build together would forever remain in my heart.

 

Especially that one person who helped me stand up against my father...

 

The way she held my hand last night brought shivers down my spine. And that way she embraced me tightly brought warmth and love all over me. It felt like she really wanted to protect me. And I can’t help but admire and thank her for that.

 

“Why are you smiling unnie?”

 

 I look at my sister and she is now fully awake.

 

“Just...It’s just nothing Krys.”

 

“Come on unnie, you can’t fool me. I know you are thinking about someone. ”

 

Guess I can’t hide anything from her.

 

*Sigh*

 

“Fine. I was thinking about Sooyoung.”

 

She smiles brightly.

 

“What about Sooyoung unnie?”

 

“How she stood up against dad.”

 

“And...?”

 

“How she hugged me tightly to soothe me.”

 

Krystal’s squeal made me push myself away from her and cover my ears.

 

“Yah! Do you really have to do that?”

 

Krystal pushes herself up with her elbow and beams that bright smile of hers.

 

“How could I not? You two are so cute!”

 

“Shush! They will hear you!”

 

“Fine. But still.”

 

This time she squeals again with a pillow covering her face.

 

*Sigh*

 

“Sometimes I don’t know if we really are related or not.”

 


Sooyoung’s POV

 

*Sigh*

 

I don’t know what is happening to me.

 

I don’t know what to feel and who to love anymore.

 

I don’t know if the love I feel for Yoona is still that love I have always felt for her.

 

And Jessica also...

 

I don’t know if I have developed deeper feelings for her not.

 

 

...

Aish!

 

I am so confused.

 

...

 

*Sigh*

 

Maybe I should runaway and unwind my mind for the mean time. I should clear my mind with all these thoughts swirling inside me. Or else if I continue living like this, I would go insane. And I don’t want that to happen.

 

I get down my bed and grabbed a backpack hung on the wall. I quickly put some clothes inside it and zipped it close. Carrying it on my shoulders, I left my room and proceeded to the main entrance.

 

“Where are you going unnie?”

 

I finish tightening my shoelace and turn to my sister.

 

“Somewhere where I can clear up my mind...”

 

“Will you be back tomorrow?”

 

I shake my head, “I don’t know yet. But please don’t look for me. I promise to be safe.”

 

Sulli nods and wraps her arms around me.

 

“See you when you get back unnie.”

 

I kiss her temple, “Okay baby sis.”

 

I ruffled my sister’s hair and eventually left. I threw my bag at the backseat and got inside the car and started the engine. But before I left, I sent a text to Yoona first saying that I’ll be going somewhere. She replies immediately, telling me to be careful. And after that, I finally drove off.

 

To a place where I always go to whenever there is a lot in my mind...