Chapter 7

Unexpected Drama

 

Another week passes by and I’m still surviving my hectic schedule. Things have been pretty much the same with SHINee and me. We still hardly see each other but I think there will be another day off that we both have on the same day. They’ve been busy preparing for a concert that’s coming up in about a week so they’ve all been working hard. I’m right now in the practice room rehearsing choreography that my teacher has made me learn. I’ve still been wondering about when my debut day is, but I’m being patient until they decide an exact date. For now, I’m just pushing myself to be the best I can. While practicing the dance again, I look through the mirror and see SHINee entering the room. I smile at them through the mirror letting them know I know they’re here and they wave hi back. They patiently wait until I finish the dance and even give me a small applause. My teacher lets me take a break so I can go talk to them, which I do immediately walking over to them.

“Hey guys! What are you doing here?” I greet them.

“We were allowed a break, so we decided to come see how you were doing.” Onew speaks up for the rest.

“Well, I’m pretty good, just exhausted from repeating this dance over and over again haha!” I reply.

“It looks like it’s coming along nicely. You look great dancing it, noona!” Taemin tells me happily.

“Haha, gamsahabnida! How about we sit down, I definitely need to.” They agree to my suggestion and we sit on the floor just talking. We usually visit each other when we have a break, so this is normal. After fifteen minutes pass by, all of us then hear the door open. We all look to see my manager, Seunghye, walk into the room. While walking towards us, we stand up to greet her.

“Annyeonghasaeyo, Seunghye-sshi.” I tell her bowing with the guys bowing as well.

“Annyeonghasaeyo.” Seunghye plainly says while bowing back. ‘Well, I see you’re as emotionless as ever.’

“What brings you here?” I ask her curiously.

“Well,” she starts saying then looks behind me to see SHINee, “can we please talk in private?” I look at SHINee with a confused face and they’re also confused as to what she has to say.

I turn back towards Seunghye and say, “Ne.” We just walk to the other side of the practice room since it’s pretty big.

Seunghye then stops once she feels we’re far enough and turns to me saying quietly, “This concerns your debut.”

I start to get a little excited, “Did you decide on the date of my debut!?”

“Anio, not yet. This is a matter of SM asking you to do something.”

“Which is…” I now ask curiously. The next thing that Seunghye says to me instantly makes my anger grow and become so shocked. ‘How…how can they ask me to do that!?’

“MWOAEYO!? WHY WOULD YOU EVEN ASK THAT!? ANIO! I WON’T DO IT!” I shout so loud not being able to control my anger and I knew SHINee could definitely hear it.

“Please, take time to think about it before rejecting what we ask. There’s a high possibility that it can threaten your debut if you say no.” Seunghye says not fazed at all by my yelling. I can’t say anything else because my anger is at such a high level I can no longer form words, so instead I storm out of the room slamming the door. I storm out of the SM building not caring that I still have my schedule to follow and try to hold in the tears that are threatening to fall from how upset I am. ‘I can’t cry here.’ I go back to the dorms and head straight for my room locking my door. I finally let my tears shed as I pace around my room a little, ‘I can’t believe they’re asking me to do that! Me!? Really!? Ugh!’ I fall onto my bed and I attempt at taking a nap so I can calm myself down.

I don’t succeed at taking a nap and instead just look up at the ceiling with tears still rolling down my face. It’s 8pm and I haven’t paid attention to what time it is until now, so I don’t realize that SHINee just got back from their schedule. I already knew that they didn’t have a late one today, but I didn’t realize that the time flew by. I hear a knock on my door soon after they get home.

“Kate-noona? It’s Taemin-ah. Seunghye-sshi wouldn’t tell us what you two talked about. Are you ok?” Taemin says in a worried tone through my door. I don’t reply and keep quiet. ‘I don’t want any of them to see me cry. I’ve never let anyone seen me cry, not even my parents, so I won’t start now.’

Taemin tries another attempt for me to talk, “Please noona…open the door. We’re all really worried about you.” Again, I don’t answer to his plead. I hear his footsteps walk away from the door and I bury my head into my pillow. Each of them at different times attempts to get me to speak or open the door. I almost do it for Minho when he tries, but I still decide not to speak. It starts to get late and all of them say good night to me through the door going off to bed. An hour later, after they went to bed, I feel my stomach start to growl. ‘I guess its ok since they’re already sleeping.’ I finally unlock my door and head to the kitchen to get a snack. I look in the refrigerator and grab an apple to eat. Once my hunger is satisfied, I turn around to head back, but when I see someone awake and looking directly at me, I stop immediately from shock.

“Jonghyun-oppa!? I thought you went to bed!” I say still surprised.

“I was heading to the bathroom when I saw your door open. I looked inside, but didn’t see you, so I decided to check in the living room and kitchen.” He says to me.

“Oh…ok. Well, jal ja.” I say to him looking down trying to hide my face with my hair while trying to walk past him quickly. I fail at my attempt when I feel him grab my shoulder and turn me around now holding my shoulders with both of his hands. I still have my head down covering my face with my hair so he doesn’t see my tear stained face, but I think he can still see it.

“Kate-ah.” he says in a serious tone which causes me to look up since it surprises me. I can see now, the look of concern on his face, while he examines mine to see that I’ve been crying. I’ve never seen Jonghyun so serious before. The only side of him I’ve seen is his goofy and carefree side.

He now continues making me look at him straight in the eyes saying, “What did Seunghye-sshi say to make you so upset?”

I look away from his gaze to the side and hesitate at first, but then I say forcing a smile, “It’s nothing Jonghyun-oppa. It’s just me making a big deal out of nothing. I’m over it already, so you all don’t have to worry.” I look back over to his face and I can plainly see he doesn’t believe me.

“Liar. If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t have been crying.” He says still sounding serious and continues, “Now please…tell me what Seunghye-sshi said.” I look at him and sigh knowing that he won’t let me go until I tell him what Seunghye asked me.

I close my eyes not wanting to see Jonghyun as I tell him and say, “Seunghye-sshi said…that SM wants me to get plastic surgery. If I don’t…then it threatens my debut to the point where I might not have one.” I can feel my eyes tearing up again and I put my head down. I don’t hear Jonghyun say anything and it makes me wonder what he’s thinking. I then feel his hand grab my wrist and I see he’s pulling me towards the couch. I get a look at his face and I see that he not only looks serious now, but a little mad.

He makes me sit down and I just lean over with my head down. He squats down in front of me looking me in the eyes again saying, “Wait here for a minute.”

“Wae?” I ask, but before he can even hear it, he already gets up and heads to SHINee’s room. While waiting for whatever Jonghyun is doing, I try to hold in the tears that want to fall. ‘I shouldn’t have told him.’ I hear footsteps walking back to where I am, but I don’t bother looking up since I know its Jonghyun. My eyes are closed keeping the tears in, but I now know he’s standing in front of me and he again squats down in front of me.

“Kate-ah.” I immediately know who says my name, and it’s not Jonghyun. I open my eyes to meet them with the dark chocolate orbs I love.

“M-Minho-oppa?” is the only thing I can say because once again I’m surprised. I examine his face and I see concern plastered all over it looking up at me.

“Jonghyun-hyung told me what’s going on.” He speaks again with the same serious tone that Jonghyun had.

I look away from breaking eye contact with him only saying, “Oh…I see.” ‘Why did Jonghyun tell Minho!?’ I then feel his hand under my chin making me turn my face back towards him so I make eye contact with him again.

He then asks, “Can we talk about it?” I blush under his touch of him holding my chin with his fingers lightly.

“Wae?” is all I say to him.

He doesn’t say anything for a minute, but then he responds, “About a year ago, SM asked me to get plastic surgery too.” My eyes grow wide from the information that he just told me. He then continues by asking, “Did she say what type of surgery they want you to do?” I give a small nod and then point to my nose slowly.

He then says pointing to his nose with the hand he had holding my chin, “They asked me to get a nose job too. You can talk to me, because I can relate to how you’re feeling right now.” He looks at me waiting for an answer.

“Did you get the nose job?” is my response wanting to know badly if he gave in. He sighs looking down for a minute, then back up at me giving a nod. ‘He gave in…’

I feel my eyes watering and Minho could see because he then says, “Hajiman…” he continues, “It was really a waste because you can’t even tell the difference….so it was pointless.”

“Ne, because there wasn’t much to change with yours! They want to change mine a lot so I can appeal more to the audience by looking more Korean!” I now exclaim getting up again and turning away from Minho. I turn around sharply looking at him getting angry again and continue my rant, “SM said that they wanted diversity and that I would be the start! I’m not Korean! Why make me look more Korean if I’m not!? If they really want diversity, why do they have to change how I look to please others!? I don’t want to change how I look, but if I don’t I might not even debut at all!” I can feel some tears drop so I quickly turn away from him before he notices and I wipe them away. I can feel his hand on my shoulder and I turn around.

He looks at me with concerned eyes, “You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do.” He continues, “You should tell them what you just told me and I’m sure they’ll listen to you.” I now form a small smile on my face and this time it’s a genuine one. I give him a hug around his waist and he accepts it by hugging me back.

“Gamsahabnida, Minho-oppa.” I tell him while still in the hug.

“Cheonmannaeyo.” Is his response to what I said. We separate from the hug and he lightly puts his hand on my back walking me back to my bedroom.

I enter my room and say to him, “Jal ja.” He says it back and starts walking back to his room, but before I close the door I remember something. “Minho-oppa.” He looks back at me and I continue, “Can you please get Jonghyun-oppa?” He nods giving me a smile and then walks back into SHINee’s bedroom. A few seconds later I see Jonghyun come out of the room and he walks over to me.

“Are you ok now?” he asks with a slight worried tone etched in his voice.

“Ne…I think I’ll be ok for now.” I tell him giving him a smile. I suddenly wrap my arms around his neck and give him a hug, which startles him, saying quietly “Gamsahabnida, Jonghyun-oppa.”

Once the surprise wears off, he then returns the hug and also quietly says to me, “Cheonmannaeyo.” We separate from the hug and I now see a smile grace his face. We say good night to each other and he starts walking back to his room.

Before I close my door he turns back towards me and says, “Kate-ah.”

“Ne?” is my response.

He has a smile on his face once again looking at me and tells me, “I think you look perfectly fine the way you are.” It takes me by surprise and I blush a little. I give him a small thank you nod looking down and then he turns around to walk into his room. I close the door to my room and then I lie down in my bed ready to sleep, but before I do, I think about what Jonghyun just said to me and my reaction. ‘Why…did my face get warm?’ I put my hand to my cheek and I then peacefully go into a deep slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn some Korean~!^^

Cheonmannaeyo - You're Welcome

Ok so about Minho having a nose job. I heard speculations about it on the internet so I just used that for my story, so please don't be critical about it.

On another note....HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! I hope everyone has an awesome day ^^