Chapter 19

Unexpected Drama

 

Before he can say anything else, I run towards Onew and tackle him to the ground. I’m on top of a shocked Onew, but my focus is on where the phone landed. I look around frantically and once I see it, I squirm towards it. Finally I got the phone and once it’s in my grasp, I end the call. I let out a sigh of relief then feel someone poking my arm. Looking down, I realize that I’m still on top of Onew who looks confused and surprised. My face instantly gets red and quickly I get off him, sitting on the floor next to him.

“Mianhae, Onew-oppa.” I bow slightly to him.

He sits up looking at me with the same confused face, “Kate-ah, that was-”

“I know.” I cut him off looking down at the phone in my hand. Then look up questioningly and mad, “Why were you in my room in the first place!?”

“Oh! Mianhae, I thought you went to your room and I wanted to ask if I can have your old phone, since my phone hasn’t been working right lately.” Onew rubs the back of his head and then stops looking at me, “Why did you hang up?”

I hesitantly respond, “It’s…confusing. I have my reasons.”

I glance up at Onew and his confusion is placed with curiosity, “Kate-ah…what’s going on?” My mind becomes frantic of not sure what to say. ‘I should’ve known he would ask. What should I say? I can’t explain it…at least not yet.’

“Well…let’s just say…if I pick up the phone…then I will most likely not be able to debut.” I look at him seriously.

“Hajiman-”

“Onew-oppa, can you keep this a secret? I don’t need everyone to know about this, it’s my own problem.”

Seeing that I’m serious about the situation, he nods his head, “Arasseo.”

Now I give him a small smile and reach over to hug him, “Gomawo, oppa.” We both stand up and I hand him my old phone. He looks up at me questioningly, “You can have it; you’re going to change it to your number anyway.” He smiles taking it and heads out the door gesturing me to come with him. “Go ahead of me.” Once he leaves, I close my door, leaning against it, and then sliding down to the floor kneeling. ‘I’m making all of them keep secrets from each other. Well…I guess Jonghyun and Key won’t be keeping the secret of me being with Jonghyun anymore. Minho is the only one who doesn’t know any of my secrets.’ I stand back up, ‘Ready to reveal one of the secrets.’ I sigh opening my door, “Too much drama.”

I slowly walk into the living room and I see that Jonghyun is the only one standing up while the rest are sitting down in the living room. The guys turn their heads towards me and Jonghyun turns around forming a grin on his face when he sees me.

“Kate-ah, what took you so long?” he walks towards me and gently takes my wrist in his hand pulling me over to the living room.

I glance at Onew and he makes eye contact with me, then I go back to watching Jonghyun drag me, “Um, I misplaced my charger so I was looking for it haha.”

“Yah, don’t become like Taemin-ah  now.” He laughs at his last statement.

“Yah!” I hear Taemin yells while pouting which everyone laughs at. He stops his pouting and then speaks up again, “Ah! Hyung! You said you have something to announce.”

I’m now next to Jonghyun standing in front of the couch where everyone is sitting and staring at us with curiosity. I start to feel nervous not knowing how they’ll react to the news.  I look down fidgeting with my hands not sure how to say the news. ‘Do I just blurt it out? Maybe I should say how it started. No, no…that would be bad since it’ll look like Jonghyun harassed me. That would then lead to a JongKey fight. Taemin would be freaking out over the fight. Minho would try to break up the fight and Onew would probably not know what to do staring at the whole spectacle. Yea…I can totally imagine the whole thing.’ I get snapped out of my thoughts by someone poking me on the cheek and I see Jonghyun with a puzzled expression.

“Kate-ah, gwenchana?” he asks a little worried.

“Ne, just spacing out haha! Mianhae.” I scratch the back of my head embarrassed.

“Haha, arasseo. Anyway, Kate-ah how about you tell them.” Jonghyun puts the floor on me and everyone averts their eyes at me. I look at the ground not making eye contact with any of them, especially Minho and I’m feeling even more nervous than I did before.

I fidget some more with my hands, “Well…um…I…thing is…uh…”

I feel Jonghyun wrap his left arm around my shoulder, “Kate-ah and I…are a couple.” I snap my head up at him shocked that he bluntly stated it and he just gives me a huge smile in return then turns towards the guys. I slowly go to look at their reaction and when I do, all of them are surprised, even Key is slightly taken aback. ‘I didn’t think they would be this surprised.’

No one speaks until finally Onew speaks up for everyone, “Mwo!? Chincha!? Is this just one of your tricks Jonghyun-ah!?” The guys look to me for the answer.

All I did was look down feeling a tiny blush appear on my face, and nod my head, “Ne, it’s true. We actually first went on two dates before making it official.” Another moment of silence is in the air and now Key speaks up walking over to Jonghyun poking his chest.

“Yah! If you do anything to her you’re dead!” I do a sigh of relief that Key breaks the tension making everyone laugh.

Minho finally talks after the whole time standing up and smirking, “Congratulations guys. Same goes for me hyung, I’ll help Key-eomma if something goes wrong.”

“How about we celebrate with dinner? Key-ah, is it done yet? Baekupayo.” Onew joins in with the group.

“Ne, bap meugoro kaja!” Key exclaims.

“Taemin-ah? Gwenchana?” Jonghyun says over to Taemin. I look over and still see him on the couch not having joined the group. He finally gets up walking to Jonghyun and me.

“Ne, just tired.” He smiles to Jonghyun then turns to look down at me, “Congrats, Noona.” I see his smile, and it’s not a tired smile…it’s a sad one. Before I could say anything, he walks over to the table. I take my sit next to Jonghyun since we’re now a couple and they all know. Throughout the whole dinner, Jonghyun wanted to feed me and vice versa. I did it a few times, but it’s way too embarrassing with the guys watching us and saying “Aw!” Plus, I didn’t want to eat that much, even though I’m starving. Taemin kept to himself and I know I need to get to the bottom of what’s going on. So, after dinner, Jonghyun gets stuck doing the dishes again while Key helps. I walk over to the couch where Minho, Onew, and Taemin are watching something. I don’t say anything and just grab Taemin’s wrist and drag him to my room. On the way there, he struggles trying to get out of my grip. Even though Taemin doesn’t have much muscle, he’s still really strong, so I use my other hand to hold his wrist too. After the struggling I let go of him once we’re in my room. As soon as I do let go, he makes his way towards my door, but I stand in front of it my arms stretched out.

“Noona, move.” He tells me bluntly.

“Anio. Not until you tell me what’s wrong.” I look at him seriously. Our gazes didn’t leave each other and it’s an intense staring game.

Taemin speaks again, “Nothing is wrong, so can you move now.”

“Anio! Taemin-ah you’re acting weird, something is wrong! Now tell me and then I’ll move.”

“I already said it earlier, I’m just tired. It’s been a long day and I’m drained.” He turns his head to the side looking away from me.

“You didn’t look tired when we came home.” I stated strongly, then continued saying softer, “Plus, do you really think I’m such a pabo to not be able to tell the difference between your tired smile and your sad smile by now?” Taemin’s intense eyes soften a bit after I say that and sighs closing his eyes. I’m confident he won’t try to escape so I put my arms down, “Taemin-ah…what’s wrong?”

He looks back over at me looking upset and hurt, “Wae?”

The only response that came out to him is, “Mwo?”

He sighs looking down again and then back up, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

It instantly clicks in my head what he’s upset about and I start to feel awful, “Taemin-ah…I-”

“I thought we told each other everything, but you kept you and hyung a secret. Don’t you trust me?” I can see in his eyes how much he hurts by this.

“Mianhae…I just didn’t want to tell you since I didn’t know if it was going anywhere or not. I needed to figure it out on my own. Taemin-ah…mianhae.” I take a step towards him and I reach my hand out to him, but pull back wondering if he would reject my hug. I stare at him, but his head is down and his bangs are covering his eyes. This time without hesitation, I hug Taemin around his neck. I feel him stiffen from the sudden hug ‘Please hug back…please.’ Slowly I feel his arms wrap around my waist and returns the hug.

“I really thought you didn’t trust me. It felt like we weren’t close as I thought we were.” He says quietly near my ear. I feel the guilt about keeping a secret from Taemin since our friendship has become so close that we didn’t have to hide anything from each other, but I did.

“I promise that I’ll tell you everything from now on, arasseo?” I pull out of the hug sand rest my hands on his shoulders looking up at him to show that I’m being serious. He gives me a blank stare reading my expression and then finally smiles, and it’s not a sad or tired one. “Now that’s the Taemin-ah smile I love!” His eyes grow slightly wide and then puts his head back down covering his face again. “Taemin-ah? Yah, gwenchana?” I try to take a peek at his face, but he keeps moving his head away from me. “Yah! Why won’t you let me see your face!?”  He turns his back to me and I try to face him, but no luck.

I hear him clear his throat, “Anyway, Noona, let’s go back to the living room.” Before I can respond, Taemin is already out the door headed to where everyone else is leaving me standing in the middle of my room with a puzzled expression from the sudden strange behavior.

I shake my head back and forth while sighing, “Aish, Taemin-ah…you’re so weird.” With that said, I walk out of my room closing the door behind me. As soon as I exit, I hear Minho and Onew fighting over what to watch. I stop walking and contemplate if I should go in the living room. ‘I’m trying to avoid Minho…so maybe I’ll just stay in my room for the rest of the night.’ I walk back into my room, close the door behind me, and plop on my bed with my legs dangling over the edge. I look up at the ceiling not having any thoughts in my head, which is rare, but it’s nice for a change. I all of a sudden feel like singing something and the song that first pops in my head is Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.

“When I see your face,

There’s not a thing that I would change,

‘Cause you’re amazing just the way you are,

And when I see you smile,

The whole world stops and stares for a while,

‘Cause you’re amazing just the way you are,

The way you are, the way you are,

Cause’ you’re amazing just the way you are,

And when I see your face,

There’s not a thing that I would change,

‘Cause you’re amazing just the way you are,

And when I see you smile,

The whole world stops and stares for a while,

‘Cause you’re amazing just the way you are,

Yeah.”

I only sing the ending part since it’s my favorite part to sing. After I finish singing, I hear the sound of someone clapping. I sit up quickly to see where the clapping is and what I see is Jonghyun in my room, leaning against my door, and clapping with a small smile on his face.

“Yah! When did you get in here!?” I ask him surprised.

He chuckles walking over to me, “I came to see why you didn’t come back and then I heard you singing. I decided to let myself in and enjoy it.”

“Aigo!” I fall back down on my bed and grab my pillow to cover my red face. ‘No one was supposed to hear that!’ Since I’m covering my face, I can tell that Jonghyun sits next to me by the movement of my bed next to me. I feel his hand on mine and makes me pull the pillow away from my face. I turn to see him lying down beside me with his left arm propping himself up looking down at me.

“Don’t hide your face when you blush, it’s cute when you do.” He gives me a sweet smile and it only makes my blush deepen. He chuckles and then adds, “There’s no reason for you to be embarrassed…you’re really a great singer, Kate-ah.” He grabs the pillow away and tosses it on the other side of my bed.

“Chincha?” I ask him surprised by his compliment. He gives me a nod and responds with a yes. All I do is smile back at him as my way to say thank you. He now fully lays down on my bed on his back staring up at the ceiling along with me. We both stay silent for a while, not an awkward silence, but a comfortable one where we’re just enjoying each other’s presence. I start to think about the most common thought that I have basically every day, ‘Is this all real or is this just a dream where I’ll just wake up back at home in my bed?’ I raise my right hand above me and stare at it, thinking about that one question, wondering if what’s going on…is real. I take a long deep sigh hoping that this is all real, ‘It just seems too good to be true.’

“What are you thinking about?” Jonghyun asks me most likely staring at my raised hand.

I take a minute before I answer and never leave my gaze from my hand, “Ever since I came to Korea and became a part of SM Entertainment, I’ve always questioned if what’s happening to me real. I’m not someone who’s lucky, I’ve never been lucky, but…this happened. I just worry that at some moment, I’ll just wake up discovering that this was all just a dream.” Still watching my hand in the air, I see Jonghyun’s slowly reach for mine and intertwine his fingers in mine grasping my hand firmly. He brings our hands down so that now they’re lying between us on the bed. Finally, I turn my head to the right and see that his is turned towards me. Jonghyun makes eye contact with me and his face is slightly serious.

“If this was a dream, then you wouldn’t feel this.” I feel him squeeze my hand a little, and I do in fact, feel it. “This is real, Kate-ah. If you’ve never been lucky before, maybe it was being saved for this.” He now smiles sweetly at me, “If you ever feel like this again, just reach for my hand and hold on to it for as long as you have to, arasseo?”

“Ne, gamsahabnida, Oppa.” He brings our hands up to his face and lightly kisses my hand before bringing it back down smiling. He’s about to let go, but I just squeeze his hand a little tighter so he doesn’t. Jonghyun looks down at them and then looks back at me with a questioning look. Embarrassed, I shift my eyes down with a tint of red on my cheeks, “Um…can I hold on for a little longer?” This time he grins like an idiot where his eyes are also smiling and holds onto my hand harder. ‘Of course the king of skinship wouldn’t disagree.’ We both look back at the ceiling with another few moments of comforting silence. Suddenly Jonghyun sits up and turns looking down at me with a questioning expression.

“Kate-ah, what was that song you were singing before?”

I sit up too, “Oh, it’s called “Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars.” He stares at me blankly which lets me know he doesn’t know the song. “Did you understand the lyrics?” All he does is shake his head from side to side. To the best of my ability, I try to translate some of the lyrics in Korean.

Once I’m done, his expression changes into a smirk, “Were you singing about me?” I blush looking down as my response. Truthfully, I didn’t exactly who I was singing about, I just sang the song. ‘Who was I singing about?’ My blush fades when I realize something and then I lightly punch Jonghyun on the arm. “Yah! What was that about!?” Jonghyun held his arm where I punched him.

“Why did you just sneak in my room without knocking first!?” I said a little annoyed pouting.

He looks down doing a lop-sided grin while rubbing the back of his head, “Sorry.” My pout automatically goes away and I fall back laughing hard from his attempt at English. Instead of it sounding like “sorry,” it sounded more like “surri.” “Yah! Why are you laughing!?”

I’m calm down to a degree and try to say between fits of laughter, “You’re…English! The way…you…said…sorry! Haha!” Seeing his shocked expression only makes me laugh harder. Finally I calm down and sit back up.

“Finished now?” He says to me while pouting. I chuckle and nod my head smiling.

“I think I should help you with your English, Oppa.”

He perks up a little and then smirks, “So I’ll be getting private lessons? You’ll be my personal tutor?”

Once again, I punch him on the arm this time blushing, “Yah! You’re such a !” This time it was his turn to laugh, but it doesn’t last as long as when I laughed.

He stops and pinches my cheek, “You’re so cute when you blush.” I move his hand away and turn my head so he doesn’t see that I’m now blushing harder, but it fails since I hear him chuckling. I then feel his lips go to my cheek with a quick peck and I turn around instantly a little shocked. Jonghyun is now standing up next to me.

He starts exiting my room, “It’s fun making you blush Kate-ah.” He gives me a final smile and then exits my room, leaving me with a cherry red face. ‘Gah! Jonghyun!’ Since I’m not going back to the living room and I’m bored, I decide to just sleep early.

A week has passed and Jonghyun has definitely been trying to do as many things as he can with me as a couple. We haven’t been on a date yet as an official couple since his schedule has been busy recently, but he still tries to make up for it. He lives up to his name as being the “King of Skinship.” He would hold my hand almost all the time, kiss me on the cheek often, and even tries to get me to do the pocky game with him. I’ve never blushed so much in my life than I have this week and of course he does it on purpose. It’s especially embarrassing when he does these things in front of the guys. Even though I get embarrassed, I still like it. I’ve never had a boyfriend before and I’m really glad Jonghyun is my first one.

With Minho, I’ve done a good job at avoiding him. I’ve kept my distance, but I try not to make it obvious. When he does come up to talk to me, I just make it seem like I’m busy or “remember” that I have something to do. Taemin noticed my distant behavior around Minho around the middle of the week, and I eventually told him my plan. He didn’t really like the plan, but he’s not going to stop me from doing it. Truthfully, I don’t like it either. I really want to be friends with Minho, but since I have feelings for him, I have to get rid of them first before I can be just friends. I really like Jonghyun, so it’s not fair to him with me liking Minho, so I have to do it.

Only problem is that there’s one place where it’s hard to avoid him, when we have to record for my song, which we’re doing right now. I’m already done and Minho is recording his part for my song right now. It’s been already about two hours into recording and it’s now getting late. Since I have nothing better to do, I lie on the couch and play with my phone. ‘When will this be done so I can go home and sleep?’ These days I’ve been feeling tired constantly. Maybe because I’m eating less than I usually do, but it’s paying off and even Seunghye says my body is looking better. Some nights though, Key does push me to eat some more or asks why I’m not eating a lot, and I just say I’m feeling tired, which is true. Anyway, I slowly feel my eyelids falling and getting heavier eventually going into dreamland. I get startled when I feel someone shaking me lightly and sit up quickly. I look to see who the person was that shook me, it’s Minho.

“Kate-ah, we should get going.” He tells me. I’m looking around now to find the clock to see what time it is. To my surprise, it’s 11pm and another surprise is that Minho and I are the only ones in the room.

“Where’s the producer and Seunghye-sshi?” I ask still looking around the room.

“They left a while ago and they said we could leave, but I decided to stay and record some more. I told them that I would take you back to the dorms with me once I finished.” He responds. I finally look at him, only to avert my eyes quickly away from him.

“What about the guys?” I ask.

“They left when they finished practice and I stayed because I had to record.” He simply states.

“Oh, arasseo. I guess we should get going then.” I stand up, grab my things, and head for the door, but when I try to open it, it wouldn’t. I try again, but no luck. Horror engulfs me realizing what this meant, ‘We’re locked in. I’m locked inside…with Minho! I have the worse luck ever!’ “Um, Minho-oppa…the door’s locked.” I say to him trying to sound calm.

“Mwo?” He walks over to the door and I move out of the way so he can try opening it, no luck with him either. “The janitor must have thought no one was in here this late at night.” He turns to me, “Do you have your phone?”

“Um, yea…but my battery died. Don’t you have yours?” I start getting worried.

“Ne…hajiman…I left it in my bag in another room.” I mentally slap my forehead and sigh looking down in frustration at the situation. Minho walks back over to the couch, “I guess we’ll have to sleep here tonight.”

My head shoots up in his direction and my heart rate instantly speeds up, “Mwo!?” ‘This is the total opposite of avoiding him! This can’t be happening!’

“Since we can’t get out, we need to wait until morning for someone to open the door.” He says nonchalantly. He grabs a cushion from the couch, “I’ll sleep on the floor and you sleep on the couch.”

I hesitantly walk over while he sets up a sleeping area for him on the floor next to the couch, “A-arasseo.” I sit on the couch and grab a cushion to hug while my knees are to my chest. Sadly, since I just woke up from a long nap, I’m not tired at all. Once Minho is done setting up his sleeping area, first he walks over to turn out the light, and then he sits on the floor then looks up at me.

“What’s wrong?” asking me right away.

I turn my head to the side resting my chin on the pillow I’m holding, “Well…I just took a long nap…so I’m not tired at all.”

“Do you want to just talk then?” My heart starts to beat fast again from nerves.

I quickly turn to face him waving my hands in front of me and doing an awkward smile, “A-anio! Gwenchana! I don’t want to keep you up! I’ll just lie down and close my eyes. I’ll eventually fall asleep if I do that.” I then lie down with my back facing him. “Jal ja!” I’m hoping what I did just now works and he’ll just lie down and fall asleep. I hear nothing but silence, not even the sound of any movement. I can feel that he’s staring at me, ‘Just go to sleep. Please, just go to sleep.’

“Kate-ah.” I jump a little from his voice and the serious tone, but not enough that it’s noticeable.

“N-ne?” There’s a long pause and I’m hoping he changes his mind about saying anything.

“Why have you been avoiding me?” My eyes open wide not expecting him to ask that at all.

I keep my back facing him and try to sound casual, “Avoiding you? What are you talking about?” Again there’s another pause, and the anticipation is like torture. All of a sudden, I feel his hand grab my right shoulder and pull gently so I turn to face him.

Minho’s face looks serious with a hint of curiosity, “I know you’ve been avoiding me, Kate-ah. Wae?” His intense stare is affecting me too much and I need to think of a way to break it. I sit up looking away and chuckle still pretending like I have no idea what he’s talking about.

“Minho-oppa, I think you’re just imagining things because I never avoided you.” I hear him stand up and then he leans against the couch with each arm next to my shoulders making me lay back on the couch from how close he is. Minho makes eye contact with me again and no matter how much I want to look away, I can’t. His expression reads confusion, concern and frustration.

“Kate-ah…wae?” My heart is beating out of control.

“Yah! I already said I haven’t been avoiding you! Can you stop now!?” I now get a little frustrated that he won’t give up.

“Anio! I know you are so stop lying! Did I do something wrong!?” We’re now both arguing and shouting at each other.

“Anio!”

“Did someone tell you to!?”

“Anio!”

“Then what is it!?”

I suddenly pause becoming hesitant, “I…”

“What is it, Kate-ah!? Why have you been avoiding me!?”

He provokes me once again and without even thinking, I shut my eyes tightly, look down, and shout, “Joahae!” My eyes open wide from the realization of what I just said. The room is completely silent and I don’t dare to look up at Minho, but I can see his arms stiffen most likely from shock. The next moment, the lights turn on and we both look towards the door to see a janitor looking at us. Minho stands up straight still looking over at the janitor. I blush realizing that from what it looks like, he could get the wrong idea.

The janitor speaks up, “I heard shouting from this room, why are you guys still here?” Before anything else could be said, I quickly grab my bag and exit the room to head back to the dorms. I walk as fast as I can basically running away from Minho. As I walk, I mentally slap myself countless times. I quickly haul a taxi and get in heading back to the dorms. ‘I’m so glad the janitor came when he did, but he should’ve came a few seconds sooner! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I just shouted it out! Minho provoked me! Gah! I was able to get out of it last time…but this time, I don’t think I can. Why me!? Ugh!’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn some Korean~!

Baekupayo - I'm hungry.

Joahae - I like you.(informal)

OH MY GOSH GUYS!!!! I'M SO SORRY!!!!! I didn't mean to do such a long hiatus! This month has been crazy for me >.<

I went to the NY Korean Festival and saw SHINee(but soooo far away)!!! Then I went to SMTown NY...oh gosh....SHINee is real! I was able to comfirm it that time haha! I have fancams of all their performances. If you want me to post the links for the next chapter just let me know, kk? :) Anyway, I'm still busy,but I really wanted to update. Semester is almost done so hang in there guys! I missed you guys!<333333333333