Chapter 11

Unexpected Drama

 

It’s been a week since Valentine’s Day when the drama happened. During that time, I’ve been a bit distant with SHINee, especially Minho and Jonghyun. I would talk to Minho a little, but when he initiates a conversation. I’ve been avoiding Jonghyun completely because I’m too scared to confront him. In the mornings I would wake up earlier and leave before seeing any of the guys and come home earlier than them. If couldn’t come home earlier, I would quickly go to my room. When eating dinner, I would ask Key if I could eat in my room. Usually after dinner, Taemin would come into my room and talk to me so I’m not completely isolated.

I’m right now in my room after a long day of practicing lying on my bed with my legs dangling off the edge. I look up at the ceiling and do a big sigh, ‘I know I can’t keep doing this. All of them are worried about me, but…GAH!’ I take my pillow and put it over my face while rolling over facing down on my bed now.

“Ugh, I’m so pathetic running away from my problems.” I muffle into my pillow. I hear my phone ring and I reach for it next to me without moving. I turn my head a little just enough to see my phone and I see who’s calling. I don’t recognize the number and at first I’m hesitant to pick it up, but I still do. “Yobeoseyo?” I say picking it up.

“KATE!” I hear someone yell through the phone and immediately hang up. ‘Ugh! I can’t believe you used a different phone I don’t know to reach me! Maybe I should change my phone number. Ugh, then I have to text all my friends and I’m lazy when it comes to that…eh I’ll do it when I’m bored.’ I stand up and grab new pajamas from my closet deciding to take a shower before dinner is ready. ‘I need to relax and get rid of this stress.’ From rushing to the shower, I open my door and walk out without realizing someone is at my door which causes me to bump into the person. The person holds me steady so I don’t fall and I look up to see Jonghyun which instantly make my nerves grow at a rapid rate.

“Um, mianhaeyo. I was just about to knock on your door so we could…um…talk.” Jonghyun says to me. I don’t get a good look at him since I looked down as soon as I saw it was him. I stay silent from being too nervous and I can feel him looking at me. “Kate-ah…mi-”

“I need to go take a shower. Mianhaeyo.” I quickly say interrupting him and then walk away towards the shower. Once I enter the bathroom I lean my head on the door and try to calm myself down. ‘It’s been a week and he now talks to me. I guess since I’ve done nothing, but avoided him. He wants to talk about…’ I put my hand to my lips recalling what happened last week, but quickly snap out of it so I can take my shower.

Before leaving the bathroom, I open the door just a crack to check if anyone is outside so I don’t crash into someone again. I go back to my room, but after ten minutes I hear someone knock on my door with a voice after it.

“Kate-ah, I have your dinner here.” Key says through my door. I walk to my door and open it to see Key holding a plate and glass.

“Gamsahabnida, Key-oppa.” I say while taking the plate of food and drink.

“Kate-ah…are you sure you don’t want to eat at the table?” he asks with a hint of concern in his voice.

“Ne, these days I’ve been so busy that I like to have some time to myself. Don’t worry about me if you are, I’ve just been tired.” I smile at him while I say this and he gives me a final concerned look before leaving. I eat my dinner quickly which is delicious like always. It’s not chicken today; instead it’s beef with rice and vegetables. ‘I bet Onew was sad finding out it’s not chicken, but that guy likes meat in general haha.’ Once I finish my dinner, I put the empty plate and glass on my desk and then get my bed ready for me to go to sleep. I hear my door knock once again but this time I tell the person to just come in since I know that it’s Taemin.

“Annyeong, noona!” I turn around to see Taemin in his night clothes like I am. He goes and plops himself on my bed then sits up crossing his legs and looking at me with a smile.

“Annyeong, Taemin-ah!” I quickly go towards him and hop on my bed next him also crossing my legs.

He looks over to my desk and then turns back to me saying, “I see that you ate in your room again.”

“Ne, I’ve been super busy so it’s my alone time.” I respond back to him.

“Noona…we miss you. We hardly see or talk to you, except me.”

I look away, “I know…”

“You still haven’t talked to Jonghyun-hyung right?” Taemin brings up the topic I try to avoid. I sigh still looking away, “It’s been a week noona.”

“He…came to my door today and tried to talk to me.”

“So you guys talked!?” He says looking a little happy.

“Anio…I kind of…ran away BUT I was heading to take a shower before dinner so I didn’t have time to talk, so it’s a valid excuse.”

“Noona!” I look over at Taemin and his face has a look of disbelief that I didn’t talk to him.

I look down playing with my hands and say, “Mianhaeyo, Taemin-ah. I didn’t expect him to do that and I got really nervous…so I froze.”

“Gwenchana. I hope you talk to Jonghyun-hyung soon. I need someone to survive with me at the dinner table from the craziness haha!” We both laugh at his comment and I give him a tiny hug.

I pull away and then ask quietly, “So…um…how has he been?”

Taemin’s face changes into a small frown and tells me, “Hyung hasn’t been himself. He’s a lot more quiet, but still talks. Even though he still jokes around and smiles, I can tell it’s fake. Whenever he passes your room he stares at the door.”

“O-oh.” I feel the guilt growing slowly, but then Taemin changes the subject seeing how what he just said affects me.

“How have you been with Minho-hyung? I’ve seen you hardly talk to him now.”

“Oh, well I haven’t talked to any of the guys a lot.” I tell him ‘I can’t tell Taemin about Minho and Krystal since none of them still don’t know about them.’ I quickly change the subject getting excited, “Anyway…why it's always about me and Minho-oppa or my sudden drama!? Taemin-ah do you have a crush on anyone?” I can tell he doesn’t expect what I just ask and I laugh from his sudden blush that creeps on his face.

He looks away from me starting to play with his fingers looking like a little kid, “…Ne.”

“Aww! Nugu!?” I get more excited hearing my dongsaeng has a crush on someone.

“He looks back at me sticking out his tongue making the “mehrong” sound and then says, “Not telling.”

“Yah! Taemin-ah! Tell your noona who!”

“Anio!”

“Why not!?”

“I know you’re going to scheme like I do with you and Minho-hyung!”

“Anio!” he gives me a look that says he doesn’t believe me. “Ok….yes I would.” I sigh and then say trying to compromise, “Fine, can you tell me about her?”

He leans back a little using his arms to support him and looks up smiling, “Ne…she’s kind, cute, funny, and seems to be fun to talk to.”

“Have you talked to her?”

“Ne, a few times.” He now looks back at me.

“Where did you meet her? What’s her name?” Taemin shakes his head as a response to my question. “Why won’t you tell me!?”

“You might try to find her haha!” I pout and he laughs at my expression. Once he’s done laughing he talks again. “Oh yea! Before I forget to tell you, we were discussing at dinner what we should do tomorrow since it’s another day off.”

“What did you guys come up with?”

“Well, we want to take you to…the amusement park!” He tells me excitedly bouncing up and down sitting on my bed.

“Sounds like fun! Um…Taemin-ah?” He stops bouncing seeing my now worried expression.

“Ne?”

“Can you stick by me tomorrow? I still…can’t really face Jonghyun-oppa.” Feeling like a little kid I look away while asking from embarrassment.

“Ne! No problem! We’ll go on a lot of rides together!”

“Gamshabnida.” After saying that, I yawn starting to get tired. “We should probably get to sleep now to get an early start on tomorrow.”

“Ne, you’re right.” Taemin says to me while getting up and walking to the door.

“Taemin-ah, I want to know who the mystery girl is one day.”

He turns around and smirks at me, “Maybe. Jal Ja!”

I pout but still say “Jal Ja.”

The next day I wake up from the sound of my alarm which plays Gara Gara Go by Big Bang, my second favorite guy group. I get dress quickly after I brush my teeth in the bathroom. The door knocks and I hear Taemin on the other side. I see him carrying both our breakfasts that Key cooked when I open the door. He walks into my room and we both eat our breakfasts while chatting about what we might do today. Once, we finish, we walk out of my room. I feel my nerves start to raise thinking about seeing Jonghyun and Taemin notices because he puts a hand on my shoulder. We put our plates in the sink in the kitchen and then walk to the entrance of the dorm. I see everyone waiting for us already having their shoes, jackets and disguises on. I don’t look towards Jonghyun or Minho even though I feel their stares. We then head out to go to the amusement park. No one notices SHINee which is good since it’s a large amount of people today.

“So what should we do first?” Key pipes up to everyone.

“Rollercoaster!” Onew immediately responds. ‘I thought he was going to say the food stands. Roller coaster trumps chicken!?’ “Then the food stands! I don’t want to get sick after eating my chicken.” ‘Ah…so it’s just that he doesn’t want to “return” his chicken…got it.’ I then feel someone grab my wrist and pull me into a direction.

 “Noona! Let’s ride this one!” Taemin is the one pulling me and is now pointing to the tea cup ride. I smile at his child-like behavior. Taemin and I end up on going on almost every ride in the amusement park. We ride the bumper cars, a ride that spins, and a ride that drops. We take a break a break from the rides and buy something to eat then we walk around. I didn’t see Minho or Jonghyun anywhere, but I do see Onew and Key after a while at one of the game booths. We both walk over to them seeing their attempt at winning a prize by trying to throw the basketball in the hoop.

“Yah! You’re doing it wrong! Let me try before you waste all our money!” Key shouts at Onew while pushing him out of the way. Onew drops his head in defeat, but watches Key try to get a basket….but he fails.

Onew laughs at Key and says, “Hahaha! I’m not the only one wasting our money!” Key just pushes Onew causing him to stumble. Taemin and I just laugh at the scene, ‘Hm…I’ve never seen an OnKey moment…so funny!’

Taemin walks past me and tries the game himself, “Let me try winning you something!” His misses the basket on all three tries, they were close shots. He walks over to me looking disappointed, “Mianhaeyo noona, I didn’t win anything for you.”

“Gwenchana, thanks for trying.” I give Taemin a smile cheering him up a bit. Someone then brushes past me to play the game and it’s Minho. Without much effort at all, he gets all three baskets which surprises everyone, even the guy in charge of the game.

He then turns to me with a grin, most likely happy from winning, and says, “Pick which one you want.”

Feeling shy from his sudden action I say while pointing slightly, “Th-the panda, please.” The guy in charge of the game gets the big stuffed panda and hands it to Minho.

Minho walks over and gives me the panda with a smile, “Here you go.”

I smile up at him and say, “Gamsahabnida, Minho-oppa.” After that, Minho walks away with Key and Onew to get something to eat. I feel someone nudge me slightly and I look next to me seeing Taemin giving me a smirk. My mood changes a little remembering that Minho is in a relationship.

“Noona! Let’s go on the roller coaster now!” he says pointing to it.

My face quickly changes to the look of fear and I shout, “Anio!”

“Please! Don’t worry I’ll be with you. It’ll be fun.” He starts acting cute while asking me.

“Yah! That’s not fair! Don’t use your ageyo!”

“Please noona!” he doesn’t back down from acting cute and in the end I say yes which he cheers about. He drags me to the line and once we get to the ride, with my luck, we sit in the front. ‘Why the front!?’ The ride starts and when it slowly gets to the top, I get more and more scared. Right before it drops, I see exactly how big the fall is and that’s when my heart drops. I clutch on to Taemin’s arm and the giant panda so hard while screaming when we drop. I look over to him and he’s laughing not knowing if it’s because he thinks the ride is fun or laughing at how I’m screaming like a crazy person. Once the ride ends, I quickly leave the ride trying to regain oxygen from screaming through the whole ride.

Taemin comes up behind me patting my back, “I told you it would be fun!” My response to what he said is me turning around and glaring at him and he backs away a little.

I sigh telling him, “I guess…it was kind of fun.” His smile grows bigger with my statement. The sun is starting to set which means our day at the amusement park is almost over.

“Aigo! We forgot to go on the Ferris wheel!” he remembers telling me.

“Ah! You’re right! We definitely need to go on, the view will be amazing!” Taemin stays quiet for a minute and then starts walking away. “Taemin-ah?”

He turns around walking backwards and saying loud enough for me to hear, “I need to go to the restroom first, so wait on line for us, and I’ll meet you there!” I give him a nod in response and then walk to the Ferris wheel getting on line. Ten minutes pass and Taemin still isn’t back. ‘What’s keeping him so long?’ I peek around the guy in front of me to see how close I am to the front. The guy in front of me isn’t that tall, so I can see that I’m almost there. ‘Taemin, you better get here soon.’

Another ten minutes pass and I’m now the next person. Only two people can go inside one of the little booths. I then see Taemin running, but stops and waves at me smiling. I gesture him to come, but he shakes his head still smiling and then does a thumbs up mouthing “Good luck.” I look at him confused, but then I feel the guy in charge of the ride push me into one of the booths with the guy who’s standing in front of me. I sit down on one side and look to see who the guy is that’s sitting across from me. My heart starts beating fast because the guy is Jonghyun. I see his expression and he also looks surprised.

“J-Jonghyun-oppa?” is the only thing that comes out of my mouth.

“Taemin-ah said he wanted to ride the Ferris wheel with me and told me to wait for him on line.” He explains to me.

“Oh.” Is the only thing I say as my response. ‘TAEMIN-AH!!!!’ I look out the window to see him smiling up at me and all I do is glare.

“I’m glad though…that now we have a chance to talk.” My quick glare vanishes quickly now looking down at my hands not meeting his gaze while staying silent. “Kate-ah…mi-”

“Mianhaeyo!” I say loudly and quickly while shutting my eyes. “I shouldn’t have run out like that…it was rude of me to do.”

“Anio, you have nothing to apologize for. Kate-ah,” I look up at him seeing his serious face which makes my heart skip a beat. The sunset makes his slightly tanned skin glow and his big brown puppy eyes sparkle. “…I like you.” Jonghyun now looks down, “It was wrong of me to kiss you by surprise like that. You were just so upset and when I made you smile, I couldn’t help it.” He looks back up at me making eye contact, “Mianhaeyo, Kate-ah.” I can see in his face how guilty and upset he feels about it.

I give him a small smile and say to him, “Gwenchana, Jonghyun-oppa.” I finally see him smile even though it’s a small one. He then leans forward slightly looking down at his hands where his elbows are resting on his knees. I see his expression and he looks nervous.

“I was wondering if…you would like to go out with me. I’m not asking for you to be my girlfriend, just if you would like to go on a date with me.” He says to me. I stay quiet looking at Jonghyun whose still has his head down watching his hands. ‘I…can’t wait for Minho who’s already in a relationship and it’s just a date…even though it’ll be my first one.’

“N-Ne. I’ll go on a date with you. Hajiman…let’s keep it a secret from the others, I don’t need the teasing haha.” As soon as I answer, he looks up and has his signature smile, which looks brighter from the sun that’s starting to set, on his face. I can’t help, but smile from how happy he is.

“Haha! I’m the one who teases you the most though.”

“True…” We both laugh.

“I’m guessing Taemin-ah knows what happened.”

“Ne.”

“Are you going to tell him?” he asks me.

“Molla…maybe.”

“You can if you want to.” We now both look out the window while we’re almost at the top now. The view is breathtaking because I can see the whole amusement park from up here and the sunset makes everything have a peaceful mood.

“Jonghyun-oppa.” I start saying while still looking out the window. I feel his eyes on me now and I continue, “That was…my first kiss by the way.” From the corner of my eye, I see his expression and he looks a little surprised.

“Chincha? You never kissed anyone on dates?”

“Well um…I’ve never been on a date before.” I feel my face heating up from how embarrassed I’m getting.

I hear him chuckle and quietly say, “So cute.” The comment only makes me blush harder and he chuckles again. Jonghyun then speaks again, “Well…I’m happy I’m your first kiss and that I’ll be your first date. Now I have to do something special for it.” I look over at him and he’s looking at me with such affection giving me a graceful smile.

I look away from him and say, “Um…as a way to pay you back for avoiding you for the past week…I’ll tell you who my favorite SHINee-”

“Member!?” Jonghyun cuts me off sitting up getting excited.

“Singer.” I correct him and continuing now turning my gaze to him smiling, “It’s you.” He does his signature grin and it makes me smile bigger from making him so happy. His smile then fades and he leans forward towards me grabbing both of my hands to hold in his. I’m surprised by the action and I almost pull my hands away as a reflex, but didn’t. Jonghyun is now looking into my eyes staying quiet until he then starts singing.

“Kate-ah neomu yeppeo, michyeo. Replay, replay, replay. Chueogi nae mameur halkwieo, gochyeo. Replay, replay, replay.” He sings never breaking eye contact. Once he finishes, he leans in further slightly getting up from his seat and kisses me on the cheek. I feel chills run up my spine, my heart beating fast, and my face heating up. He smiles again seeing my reaction to his singing.

“G-Gamsahabnida.” I break the eye contact because my shyness takes over.

“Anytime.” Is the only thing Jonghyun says with a slight smirk. We look out the window in silence for the rest of the ride. Once the ride finishes, we both get out holding hands. Jonghyun and I see everyone waiting for us. When walking over, we both let go of each other’s hand since we’re not telling the others about what happened between us. We all head back to the dorm exhausted. Key didn’t cook any dinner since we all stuffed ourselves with food from the amusement park. Instead, we all just head to bed since it’s an early schedule for everyone. I go to my room and put my stuffed panda that Minho got me next to the stuffed chicken that Onew got me on my bed.

Taemin knocks on my door and walks in asking, “So how did everything go?” The first thing I do is walk over and punch his arm. “Yah! What’s was that for!?”

“That’s for your scheme you did today!” I sternly say to him looking mad. I then hug him around the neck and say, “This is also for your scheme.” He hugs me back and then we pull away after a few more seconds.

“Wait…so what happened?” he asks curiously.

“As your punishment…I might not tell you what happened.” I stick my tongue with the “mehrong” sound.

“Yah! Anio!”

“Haha! Don’t worry, I’ll tell you tomorrow ok? Jal ja, Taemin-ah.” He says good night to me back then leaves my room. I’m about to go in my bed until I hear my door knock again. I go to open the door and I see Jonghyun in his night clothes smiling.

He then leans down and quickly kisses me on the cheek saying after, “Jal Ja, Kate-ah.”

“J-Jal Ja.” I respond surprised by his action. He walks away and into the SHINee bedroom. I close my door and lie down on my bed grabbing the stuffed panda to hold while I sleep. ‘I have no words for today. I’m glad Jonghyun and I are ok…well I guess more than ok since I’m going on a date with him, but…’ I hold the stuffed panda in the air looking at it. ‘I still like Minho even though he’s with Krystal. I hope I don’t lead Jonghyun to nothing…maybe...I’ll start to grow feelings for him. I feel like I started to today…I guess I’ll have to see what happens; first I’ll deal with the date. I can’t believe I’m going to have my first date! What is Jonghyun planning? I’m so nervous now.’ After my last though, I drift off to sleep holding the stuffed panda in my arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn some Korean~!

Yobeoseyo - Hello? (It's said when picking up the phone.)

Annyeong - Hi

Molla - I don't know

I made this chapter longer for you guys. Hope you liked it! Omg! I just heard that Music Bank is going to have a World Tour and they're starting with New York! I'm definitely going and I'm so excited! I wonder what groups are going to be in it. I would freak out if SHINee is a part of the tour keke~