Chapter 2

Unexpected Drama

 

I’m now at the dorm packing my things up to temporarily move in with SHINee. ‘Oh gosh, I’m still in shock! I’m so nervous…I’m going to be living with five guys! I mean I guess it’s not like the stereotypical New Yorker guys…but it’s SHINee! Fan girls dream about just talking to them and I’m actually going to live with them!’ My thoughts get interrupted when I hear the doorbell. ‘Oh it must be Seunghye and the driver to help me with the bags again.’ I go to answer the door and again…I get a surprise.

“Annyeonghasaeyo!” it’s SHINee excluding Key

“Since your room is close to ours, they asked us to help you move in.” Taemin says to me.

“Oh uh, gamsahabnida.” I let them in and they each grab a bag. I go to reach for the last bag, but then another hand went to reach for it and bumps into mine. I look up to see that it’s Minho.

“Don’t worry I can take this one too.” He says to me while picking it up. This is the first time he has said something to me and it gave me chills up my spine. I’m still shy talking to the members, but I can’t even look at Minho without feeling my face heat up and my heart beating a little faster.

“Gamsahabnida.” I say loud enough for him to hear while looking down. ‘Most likely if I make eye contact I’m going to faint. Ugh! Get a hold of yourself Kate!’

“No problem.” Is his response and lets me know that he was able to hear me.

We walk to the door and he lets me go out the door first. I can see the others a few doors down entering into their dorm. ‘They were this close to me!?’ I walk in and I see that their dorm is…really clean! I see Key in the kitchen cooking dinner, but once he notices me, he comes over to welcome me.

“Kate-ah! Welcome! I cleaned up a bit and made space for you in Taemin-ah’s closet.” He says cheerfully. I get a better look at him and now I notice that he’s wearing an apron. ‘I can see why Key is considered the mom of the group haha!’

“Oh you didn’t have to do that for me, I’m only staying here for a week.”

“I can’t let your clothes get wrinkled staying in your bags!” he says in a little bit of a panic. ‘Yep…he’s definitely the diva too.’

“Hyung, where is Kate-ah going to sleep since we all sleep in the same room?” Taemin says now coming from the bathroom.

“Well, one of us will have to give up our bed and sleep on the couch. Not me!” Key says.

“Not me!” Jonghyun follows Key popping out of nowhere.

“Not me!” next Onew.

“Not me.” Minho says casually.

“Not- Ah! Aw man, I guess it’s me.” Taemin says looking defeated.

“No Taemin-ah, you don’t have to give up your bed. I’m perfectly fine sleeping on the couch.” I say to him.

“Hajiman-“

“No buts! I’m your noona so you have to listen.” I say with a smile directed at him.

“…ok.” He smiles back at me, but then he says, “Oh! You’re older than me!?”

“Haha! Yea, I guess I forgot to tell you guys how old I am. I’m 18…well 19 here.” After I say that, the response I get from all of them is an in sync “Ahhhh.”

“Key is dinner almost ready!? I’m starving!” Jonghyun complains changing the subject.

“Yah! Be patient! It’s almost done.” Key shouts back at him. ‘These two really are like a couple.’ I chuckle to myself with that thought.

“I’m going to try and unpack a few of my things before dinner is ready.” I say directed at Key.

“Let me show you where my closet is then.” Taemin gestures me to follow him.

Once I finish, I’m proud to say that I was able to fit all my clothes with the space the Key provided me with. I go back to the kitchen and see Onew helping set up the table and Key finishing up the cooking. ‘Oh wow, it smells so good. I can definitely feel my stomach growling. Need some food in me now!’

“Dinner is ready!” Key shouts for everyone to hear. The second after he shouts that, everyone came to the table.

“What are we hav-“

“CHICKEN!” Onew instantly answers even before I finish asking. ‘Oh my gosh! He really is a chicken lover!’

The dinner was nice, it consisted mostly of everyone watching Onew become the human vacuum and almost eating all the chicken himself. Key and Jonghyun were scolding him while Taemin and I were laughing at the scene. I looked over at Minho a few times and I would see him sometimes chuckle at the scene and also scold Onew, but a lot quieter. I wouldn’t look at him long because I didn’t want him to get the feeling I’m looking at him. I would feel him look at me when the conversation was directed at me, I couldn’t really think straight because of that. One during the meal made me blush like crazy.

Flashback

“So Kate-ah, you’re a fan of SHINee, right?” Jonghyun brings up all of a sudden.

“Ne…wae?” I ask suspiciously.

“Then…tell us which of us your favorite is.” He says with a smirk.

“Mwoaeyo!?”I say obviously taken aback. This then peaks the interest of the other members and all eyes were on me waiting for an answer.

“Yea! Tell us who! It’s obviously me of course. Right?” Key now getting into the conversation.

“No way. I’m not telling you guys anything.” I strictly say to them.

“Aw come on! Then tell us what your ideal type is and let us figure out from that.” Jonghyun tries to make me open up again.

“Anio!” I say to him in a strict tone again.

“You know once you debut that’s the question interviewers ask the most. Might as well practice what you’re going to say with us.” Key says nonchalant tone. I then take a minute to myself thinking about the characteristics of my ideal type. ‘I know that if I tell them, this will be a week of teasing from them because they would figure out about my crush on Minho! I can never let them find out…I can never let Minho find out!’ I feel my face start to heat up because of thoughts I’m thinking at that moment.

“Noona’s face is getting red!” I hear Taemin state loudly.

“Mwoaeyo? My face isn’t red!”

“Yea it is haha! What are you thinking about? Or should I ask who?”Jonghyun teases me.

“Yah! Just because of that you’ll all have to wait to hear my answer until I get asked on an interview.”

“Anio! Mianhamnida! Tell us!” Jonghyun tries recovering from the teasing.

“Anio.”I now sticking out my tongue, “Mehrong.”I smile as I see the SHINee’s defeated faces.

End Flashback

I’m now sitting on the couch in the living room with SHINee watching TV. It’s getting late and since no one was really pay attention to what’s on the television, they decide to go to bed. Key gets a sheet and pillow for me for the couch.

“Are you sure you don’t want to switch with one of us?” Key asks one last time.

“You don’t have to worry; I’ve slept on a couch before. It’s no big deal.” I say with a smile reassuring him, “Now all of you get to bed and stop worrying about me. Jal ja!”

“Jal ja!” they all say to me before entering their bedrooms.

I sigh in relief and say to myself, “Finally I can stop talking in Korean, and it gets tiring after a while.”

I plop myself on the couch and look up at the ceiling remembering all the events that happened to me today. ‘It’s my first day in Korea, and already so much has happened. It makes me excited, but worried about what’s going to happen these couple of months in my preparation for my debut.’ I go to the bathroom to change into my pajamas which have Hello Kitty on them. Once I’m done changing I go back to the couch and once again plop myself down, but this time to go to sleep.

It’s been an hour and I have yet to fall asleep. ‘Ugh! It’s 1am and I still have no luck! I’m not tired and I’m a person who stays up really late, but I need to change that habit now. Hm, I guess I can call someone and talk to them until I feel sleepy. It gives me a chance to have a conversation in English.’ I get my phone and unplug it from the charger. I got through the list of friends and I decide to call Linda, but it went straight to voicemail. ‘Linda really needs to learn to keep her phone on.’ I try my friend Tanje next, but it just keeps ringing. I give up after trying 5 friends because none of them are picking up.

“I guess since it’s the middle of the day there, they’re out and busy doing something.” I stare at my phone, “I wonder how everything is going in New York.” Since I zoned out, I didn’t notice the person that approached me until they were standing next to where I was sitting. I assume that it’s Key because he’s worrying if I’m comfortable sleeping on the coach, but when I look up to see who it is, it’s not him…it’s Minho. It’s the first time that I actually look at him straight on and make eye contact with him. In pictures I thought his eyes were amazing, but seeing them in person, it took my breath away. His eyes are gorgeous and I found myself lost in his dark chocolate orbs. What snaps me out of my trance is his voice. I found myself back in reality and quickly look back down because I feel my face getting hot and my heart beating fast. I didn’t pay attention to what he said to me so I ask him to repeat.

“What are you still doing up?” he repeats to me.

“Oh, well, um, I can ask you the same question.” I say to him going back to speaking in Korean only to stutter not looking at him at all.

“I’m going to the kitchen to get myself some water.”

“Oh I see. I just couldn’t sleep so I decided to call a friend.” I tell him this time more relaxed.

“Did you get to talk to your friend?”

“Anio. I tried 5 of my friends, but none of them picked up. It’s understandable though since it’s the middle of the day there and must be busy.” I explain to Minho. ‘I’m doing a good job talking to him. Now if only I can do it while actually looking at him! He probably thinks I’m so rude!’ He walks away and I then look over to him to see Minho walks to the refrigerator and pours himself a glass of water. He then turns back towards me which makes me avert my head back to being forward and takes a seat on the couch a few feet away from me. There’s an awkward silence between us and I would give anything for it to be filled.

“If you want, you can talk to me in English.” He says filling the silence and what surprises me was not what he said, but how he said it…in English. Even though it’s one sentence, I can tell that his English is better than Key’s and Onew’s.

“Mwoaeyo?” I turn towards him that’s the only thing that came out of my mouth because I’m still surprised.

“I know it must be tiring to speak in language that’s not your native one all day. Anyway, it would be good practice for me.” He says to me in English again and gives me a tiny smile at the end. My heart skipped a beat from his smile because even though it’s a tiny one, it’s still great.

“Um, ok, thank you. I hope that I can help you with your English.” I now respond in English.

“The same with you and your Korean.”

There’s another awkward silence that fills the room now. ‘I hate nothing more than awkward silence. I can’t believe I’m talking to him…in English! It’s the first time that we’re actually talking and it’s an English conversation. Minho’s English is way too cute with his little accent! Ah! Ok, not the time to spazz out…later.’ I take notice of something near the TV, ‘Is that a…Playstation 2!?’

Minho must have noticed what I’m staring at because he asks me, “Do you want to play?”

“Oh, but I don’t want to keep you up just because of me.”

“It’s fine, I’m not that tired too. That’s why I got up to get a class of water.” He reassures me.

“Oh well, ok then, but don’t go easy on me just because I’m a girl.” He chuckles with what I said and gets up to set up the game, it’s a fighting game.

We start playing the game and instantly we both get competitive with winning each round. He wins a few rounds and so did I. I look over at him a few times to see his reactions to playing the game and he’s completely absorbed in it. After about a half hour I feel myself drifting off to sleep, but I try to stay awake because I didn’t want to stop playing with Minho and I’m close to being the winner. Sadly, my eyes and body give in and I fall sideways hitting something soft which I assume is my pillow. Instead of fighting my sleepiness this time, I decide to drift off to sleep because I’m so comfortable, but before I did, I felt a blanket go on top of me. I knew Minho put it on me and he’s now going to bed. It was fun and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me once I wake up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn some Korean~! ^^

Hajiman - But

Ne - Yes

Wae - Why?

Anio - No

Mehrong - What someone says when sticking out their toungue. It's like a sound effect.

BTW, the dorm I'm talking about is the one shown in their mini show called Yunahanam.