Chapter 9

Unexpected Drama

 

I’m a person who loves to sleep and usually I would on my day off, but today is Valentine’s Day. With the commotion that happened yesterday and the day before, I forgot all about it. I woke up extremely early today because I’m going to make homemade chocolates for SHINee as a way to thank them for all that they’ve done for me so far. While trying to get to sleep last night, I thought about what Taemin said about him looking forward to what I’m doing for Minho and how they will all find out soon. ‘Taemin is right…they’ll figure out about my crush on Minho eventually. Since, it’s Valentine’s Day…maybe it’s the perfect day to confess to him. From what’s happened between us, I’ve had this feeling he maybe…likes me too? I hope this day comes out perfectly.’ It’s 5am and SHINee is still sleeping while I’m doing my usual tasks of getting ready in the morning, but of course this time much earlier. ‘Ugh! Key why do you have to get up early even on your days off!?  I can’t believe I woke up this early.’ I get out of the shower, and then change out of my pajamas. Before leaving my room, I look at myself in the room. Without noticing I subconsciously touch my nose and sigh, but quickly snap out of it leaving my bedroom. I peak into their room to make sure they’re fast asleep, which they are. ‘I should pull a prank on each of them while they sleep. It’s now a mental note for the future.’

The kitchen is a complete mess, but I successfully made chocolates. I put them in small decorated box with a tiny bow on top for each gift. Of course, Minho’s gift is a tiny bit bigger because he’s the guy this holiday is for. It’s almost 8am, the time Key likes to get up at, and I quickly clean the kitchen to the best of my ability. Since I want to give Minho’s box of chocolates when it’s just the two of us, I decide to give it to them each privately so there’s no suspicion of my crush for Minho. I hear footsteps coming towards the living room into the kitchen and I see Key being as hyper as ever.

“Good morning, Kate-ah!” Instead of sitting down at the table, he quickly gets an apple from the refrigerator and then grabs his jacket heading for the door.

I look at him questioningly and ask, “Key-oppa where are you going?”

“Ah! I have an interview that I need to get to for a radio station.”

“You have today off…right?”

“Ne, but this was scheduled at the last minute.” He says while putting on his shoes.

“Well, wait a minute. Here,” I walk over to hand him the box with the homemade chocolates and continue, “I want to give this to you before you leave. It’s a way to say thanks for everything you’ve done for me. Happy Valentine’s Day.”

He takes the box with a big grin on his face, then grabs me into a hug practically shouting, “Yah! I knew I was your favorite member! Gamsahabnida Kate-ah!”

“Haha! Cheonmannaeyo, but I made one for everyone so I’m still not revealing who’s my favorite.” I sticking out my tongue making the “mehrong” sound.

“Hmph! Well, I think I have a pretty good idea who your favorite member is.” He winks at me smirking while heading for the door and right before closing it he says, “Annyeonghigasaeyo, Kate-ah!”

I sigh at Key’s hyperness and then walk back to the kitchen to finish cleaning my mess until it sinks in my head as to what Key said. ‘Wait! Does he know I like Minho!? Did he find out!? It’s a good thing I’m going to confess to him today then.’ With that thought, I immediately feel my heart racing from nerves, but then I calm down, ‘…or…he’s just thinking it’s him. Ha! He’s such a diva.’ About a half hour passed and I then see both Onew and Taemin heading towards the door to put on their shoes.

I walk over to them and ask, “Hi guys, I’m surprised to see you getting up so early. Where are you both going?”

“We have to film for a commercial today. It’s a commercial for-”

“Chicken!” Onew says excitedly cutting off Taemin.

“But…today is your day off…” I look at them a little upset and Taemin sees my expression.

“Mianhaeyo noona. It shouldn’t take the whole day so we’ll still have time to hang out!” He tries to cheer me up using his angelic smile and it did make me feel better, so I return the smile. They’re about to leave until I remember the boxes.

“Oh wait!” They turn towards me and I run back to the kitchen. I now walk back to them with their decorated boxes in my hands and give it to them.

“Happy Valentine’s Day! It’s also a thank you gift for everything you’ve done for me.” I smile at them.

The both look down at the tiny box in their hands and then look up at me with grins on their faces saying together, “Gamsahabnida!” They then head out the door after each of them giving me a hug. I turn around to head towards the kitchen until I hear the door open. I then see Taemin peek his head out from the door.

“Good luck noona.” He whispers to me giving me a slight smirk and then closes the door. I know what he’s talking about and I blush. Taemin doesn’t know I’m going to confess, but he knows I’m going to do something about Minho. I finally finish cleaning the kitchen and take a seat on the couch. Minho then walks in and I see him dressed. He heads to the door too and starts putting on his shoes.

For the third time I walk over and ask, “Heading out?”

He turns to me after he’s done with his shoes and says, “Ne, I finished the rap of one of our new songs and our manager wants to record it as soon as possible, then I’m meeting someone.”

“Oh…” I feel a little upset when Minho says that he’s going to be busy today. I remember his box of chocolates I made which is slightly bigger than the other’s and say, “Can you wait for just a minute?”

“Sure.” I turn around and start walking, but then I stop walking back.

“Actually, um, never mind. Have a good day!” I wave bye to him awkwardly while he walks out the door. ‘It’s not the right time to give it to him and confess.’

I once again plop on the couch and close my eyes for awhile since I’m exhausted from waking up so early. I hear someone walk into the living room after a few minutes, but I keep my eyes closed. ‘Must be Jonghyun leaving too.’ I then feel someone plop down on the couch next to me which causes me to open my eyes and look to my right. What I see surprises me. It’s a drowsy Jonghyun still in his pajamas with his messy hair and he’s rubbing the sleep out of his right eye.

“J-Jonghyun-oppa? Aren’t you going out like the others?” I ask him confused.

“Mm?” he now looks over at me and says in a groggy voice, “Anio. I don’t have anything to do today.”

“O-oh.” I say because it’s the only thing that came to my mind as a response. I still feel a little awkward with Jonghyun even though Taemin reassured me yesterday that it’s just how Jonghyun acts sometimes. ‘I shouldn’t worry about it anymore.’ Jonghyun now gets up and heads to the kitchen. He pulls out milk from the refrigerator and a box of cereal from the cabinet. He goes to sit at the table and starts to eat his cereal enjoying it. I turn on the television not knowing what else to do.

About a half hour passes by and Jonghyun is now on the couch watching TV with me after he freshened up from his sleepy state. I sigh, ‘Is this really how I’m going to spend my first Valentine’s Day in Korea?’ I get up from the couch and walk over to get myself some water, but I’m prevented from doing the action when I hear the doorbell. I assume it’s one of the guys back from their task and they just forgot their keys, but to my surprise, it’s none of them.

“Annyeonghasaeyo, Kate-ah.” I see at the entrance of the dorm Yoogeun and his mom who greets me while bowing.

“Annyeonghasaeyo.” I bow back to her, “What brings you here?”

“Ah, well, since today is Valentine’s Day, my husband and I would like to go out and spend some time together. I called Yoogeun-ah’s usual babysitter, but she’s unable to watch him today due to her having a fever. I couldn’t think of anyone else on such short notice, so I was wondering if you could watch him for the day.” She explains looking slightly guilty for asking me to watch him.

“Sure! It’s no trouble at all.”

“Chincha?” she asks.

“Ne, I didn’t really have plans for today anyway, so now I do.” I smile at her nodding in agreement.

“Gamsahabnida!” she bows then bends down to Yoogeun’s level, “Yoogeun-ah, Kate-ah is going to watch you today while appa and eomma spend some time together. Can you be a good boy for eomma?” Yoogeun replies with an “Mm” following with a hug from his mom. She then waves bye to both us and then I close the door. I walk back to the living room to see Jonghyun absorbed in watching the show that’s currently on.

“Jonghyun-oppa, guess who’s here?”

He’s taken out of his trance and he looks over to see me holding Yoogeun and says walking over, “Yoogeun-ah!” He looks over at me after greeting him and asks, “Why is he here?”

“His mom asked if I could watch him while she goes out with her husband for the day.” I reply. His face does an expression that reads he understands then looks back at Yoogeun and takes him out of my arms into his.

“Yoogeunie! You’re going to spend the day with Jonghyun-appa! Ppoppo?” he says pointing to his lips. Yoogeun then gives him a tiny kiss on his lips.

“Yah! You and your skinship!”

He laughs while smirking and tells me, “I’m the best at skinship!” I roll my eyes at him. It’s now 12pm and I decide to make lunch for all of us. Jonghyun takes Yoogeun to the couch and starts playing a video game with him. While making lunch I look over at the two playing. Jonghyun is teaching Yoogeun how to play while Yoogeun ends up just pressing random buttons. He lets Yoogeun win each time and Yoogeun gets really happy each time. I’m done making lunch and walk over to them. I made sandwiches for all of us, but Yoogeun also gets cookies with his. We start to eat our lunches and when Yoogeun starts to eat his cookies after finishing his sandwich, Jonghyun attempts something.

“Yoogeunie! Can you share with Jonghyun-appa?” he leans towards Yoogeun who has a cookie in his mouth and tries to bite it from the other side. Yoogeun turns his head right before he does and I laugh at Jonghyun’s devastated face. He looks over at me laughing and says smirking “Looks like Yoogeun-ah needs a reminder of how to do it. I wonder where that picture of you and Minho-ah do it.”

I stop laughing and blush, but I then smirk back at him and say, “I disposed of the photo long ago.” ‘I actually have it hidden in my room. No way would I get rid of that photo!’ He pouts in defeat with his head down until he looks up at me and once again smirks.

“Well…if we don’t have an example on a photo,” he picks up one of Yoogeun’s cookies, “I guess we’ll have to show him an example through action again.” He puts the cookie in his mouth and closes his eyes leaning towards me. I blush and give him a little glare. Instead of biting the other half, I surprise him by throwing a pillow right in his face which causes him to fall back on the couch. I laugh at him and Yoogeun joins in laughing too. ‘Haha! It’s the same old Jonghyun. I was acting weird for no reason. Taemin was right.’

“Yah!” he shouts sitting back up.

“I bet Yoogeun-ah knows how, but just doesn’t want to do it with you.” I .

“Hmph! Well let’s see you try it.”

“Ok, I will. Yoogeunie.” Yoogeun looks up at me. I put a cookie in my mouth and lean towards his face. He looks at the cookie in my mouth and then he opens his mouth and bites the other half. I sit back up to see Jonghyun’s mouth a little agape from shock. I start laughing at him again.

“Yah! Well…Yoogeun-ah only does it on special occasions with me.” He says folding his arms to his chest. After lunch, time goes by pretty quickly. We play games with Yoogeun and after awhile we see him yawning. I pick him up and walk to my room where I let him take a nap on my bed. I walk back out and I see Jonghyun lying down on the floor with his arm covering his eyes clearly exhausted from playing with Yoogeun for so long.

“How can a little kid have so much energy?” he asks.

“Haha. Maybe I shouldn’t have given him cookies. He probably got a little hyper from the sugar.”

“Most likely.”

“Oh yea! That reminds me!” I walk over to the kitchen and grab Jonghyun’s box of chocolate. I walk back over to where he is and hand it to him.

He takes it while still lying down and looks at it then looks back at me saying, “What is it?”

“Its chocolate I made. It’s a Happy Valentine’s Day slash thanks for everything gift. I gave the other members a box too.”

“Ah! Gamsahabnida!” He opens it and starts to eat them, “Aigo! This is really good!” I just chuckle at his kid like behavior.

I take a seat at the couch and we stay quiet for a minute until I say quietly to myself, “I wonder when the others are coming back.”

Jonghyun hears me and he turns his head to look towards me replying, “I’m not sure about Taemin-ah, Key-ah, and Onew-hyung. I do know that Minho-ah should be getting out of the SM building in another half hour.” With what he just said, I get an idea.

“Jonghyun-oppa, do you mind watching Yoogeun-ah alone?” I ask him getting up and walk to the door to put my jacket and shoes on.

He sits up with his arms propping him up from behind turning to look towards me and asks, “Wae?”

“I just need to go somewhere for a little while, but I’m not staying out long.” I say grabbing something from the kitchen counter and putting it in my bag.

“Um…ok.” He says with a blank face clearly confused.

“Gamsahabnida! Annyeonghigaesaeyo!” I quickly close the door after saying bye. I head towards the SM building. I decided to go meet Minho and wait for him until he gets out so I can tell him how I feel. ‘I don’t think I’ve ever been the nervous before. Not even singing on stage in front of people do I get this nervous.’ It takes about a half hour and I’m now walking towards the building. From I distance I could see someone exiting the building. I squint my eyes and as I get closer I see that’s in Minho. He’s standing out front looking around. ‘He said he’s meeting someone after, so I’ll tell him before the person arrives.’ I slowly walk up to him getting more nervous, but I push myself to move forward. I have his decorated box of chocolates in my hand behind me.

When I can see him clearer, I’m about to wave over to him so he notices me, but instead I stop dead in my tracks. I can feel my heart stop, the air taken out of me, and my gut hurting like I was punched in the stomach. I see Krystal from f(x) walk to Minho giving him a peck on the lips and hugging him in a tight embrace. Minho is looking down at her with a huge smile on his face. They then hold each other’s hand while walking away from the building. I could feel my tears falling fast. I drop the decorated box and run back to the dorm. I keep my head down while running so no one sees me crying. When I get close to the dorm, I wipe away all the tears and make it look like I never cried. I enter SHINee’s dorm taking off my shoes and jacket. I walk into the living room to see Jonghyun watching TV again.

I put on my best fake smile and say in a fake cheerful voice, “I’m home! Is Yoogeun still taking his nap?” He turns to me and doesn’t say anything.

After a few seconds pass by of silence he asks with a straight face, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. What are you talking about? I think Yoogeun isn’t the only one in need of a nap haha!” I say again faking my cheerful voice. He turns off the TV and stands up walking towards me.

He stops right in front of me and looks down making eye contact saying, “I can clearly see you’ve been crying, Kate-ah.”

I turn my back to him walking to the kitchen to get a drink and I tell him, “Oh, well my eyes started to water because the wind blew dust in my eyes. It was really painful.” He walks back up to me again this time slightly faster and looks frustrated.

He grabs the drink out of my hand then takes hold of my shoulders shaking me a little looking into my eyes again and shouts slightly, “Kate-ah stop lying!” I’m taken aback from him shouting at me and I then recall what I saw earlier with Minho which makes my tears build up until they fell. I quickly put my head down so I don’t show Jonghyun that I’m crying. He doesn’t move or speak, but I know he’s looking at me.

He then, grabs my wrist and pulls me towards the front door saying “Put on your shoes.” I do as he says and after I put my shoes on, Jonghyun pulls me out the door. I still have my head down crying so I don’t see where he’s taking me. We don’t leave the area of the dorms, but instead walk into a room I’ve never been in before. I finally look up to see a big room with a wall that is just windows, hardwood floors, chestnut brown walls, a small chandelier hanging from the ceiling, and in the center, a grand piano. I want to ask what the room is for, but I can’t because it’ll just come out in sobs. Jonghyun takes me to the piano and sits me down. He then sits down next to me and starts to play while singing a song. I watch him play the piano singing and he’s really into the song. Once he finishes the final notes on the piano I notice that I stopped crying at some point.

He finally turns towards me and gives me a small smile saying, “I’m glad I was able to make your tears stop.” I look down still not sure of what to say. He then continues, “I don’t know what made you cry while you went out…but I won’t push you to tell me if you don’t want to talk about it. I just don’t want to see you cry.”

I look back up to him and finally give him a real smile even though it’s small saying quietly, “Gamsahabnida, Jonghyun-oppa.” What happens next, I didn’t expect at all. After I say thank you to him, he leans in and meets my lips with his in a kiss. I get so surprised and pull away immediately while standing up in the process. I just look at him still surprised and speechless touching my lips where he kissed me.

“Kate-ah…I-” Before he has the chance to say anything, I run out of the room. I run back to the dorm and head to my room closing the door behind me. I lock it and I turn around to still see Yoogeun sleeping peacefully. I walk towards him to join Yoogeun on my bed. He then cuddles next to me and I hold him while I again feel tears on my face. ‘Why is all this happening to me?’ The tears stop after I quickly doze off holding Yoogeun in my arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn some Korean~!

Ppoppo - Kiss (It's basically just a playful kiss. They have a word for a kiss that's more serious, but this one doesn't.)

I'M BACK! My dad ordered another screen for my laptop and he fixed it! Yay! I'm so glad it was just the screen. I need to be less clumsy with electronics XP Anyway, I made this chapter a little longer to make it up to you for waiting. PLUS, I'm going to add new pics to the chapters from here on out to make the story more...real? I edit all the pics myself ;P Alrighty! Now I can continuing writing...HWAITING!