Chapter 12

Unexpected Drama

 

It’s been a few days after Jonghyun asked me out on a date and I’ve been busy practicing. My manager, Seunghye, still didn’t tell me when I’ll be debuting. She always stiff and I never really see her smile. Before I thought that she’s just serious about her job, but now I get this feeling it’s just that she doesn’t like me. Whatever the case is, I’ll just put up with it and focus on what I need to do. During these few days, since I don’t want the other members to know about the date with him and me, Jonghyun has been secretly doing sweet little gestures like carrying my things. One of the days, we almost got caught by Key, who is hard to try to get anything past him, but luckily his suspicion faded away.

I’m now in the studio recording for one of my songs. Tomorrow is the day that I go on my first date with Jonghyun. Ever since he asked me for the date, my nerves never went away slowly increasing and today they’re at my highest level. While recording, I look towards the door to see Jonghyun step in smiling and waving to me. As soon as I see him, I stop and let myself out of the recording booth.

“Seunghye-sshi, I’m going to take a quick break.” I say to her while walking towards Jonghyun.

“You can’t just take a break when you feel like it. It’s not on schedule.” Seunghye responds sourly. I ignore waving to Jonghyun as I walk to him.

Once I do, he takes my wrist and pulls me outside of the recording room in the hallway. No one is in the hallway so Jonghyun says while smiling at me, “Our date is tomorrow.”

I shyly nod at him with a small smile and my response is, “Ne, you still haven’t told me what we’re doing on our date.”

He now grins getting excited, “It’s a surprise.”

“Wae?” I now pout a little that he won’t tell me.

He chuckles at my childish behavior, “I promised that I’ll make your first date special.”

“Are you sure it’s not for the sheer pleasure of just teasing me.” All Jonghyun does is laugh at my comment, but shakes his head no in the process. I still pout, but I let it go since I’m going to find out tomorrow anyway. I then remember an important factor into tomorrow, “Jonghyun-oppa? How are we going to leave the dorm tomorrow without creating suspicion at the guys?”

Jonghyun stops laughing and thinks for a moment before saying, “I think I have an idea. We can just leave at different times and say we’re doing something else.”

“Ah! Good idea!” With my praise, I can see Jonghyun stand up a little straighter, which makes me chuckle. “Anyway, I should get back inside before Seunghye-sshi has a fit about how long I’m taking for my break.”

“Ok. I can’t wait for tomorrow.” He smiles down at me and then gives me a quick peck on the cheek before walking away. I stand there watching him walk away while I put my hand to the cheek that he kissed. ‘I wonder what his plans are for tomorrow.’ I hear the door open and feel Seunghye push me inside from behind which snaps me out of my thoughts. The rest of the day consists of me trying to figure out what Jonghyun has planned for tomorrow while going through my schedule. I annoy Seunghye the whole day since I’m not paying attention. Once I get home, it’s the normal routine of eating, relaxing in the living room, and then going to bed. At this point, I’m lying awake in my bed staring up at the ceiling too nervous about tomorrow. I all of a sudden sit up, ‘I forgot to decide what I’m going to wear tomorrow!’ I jump out of bed, turn on my light, and quickly go to my closet throwing clothes on my bed.

“Ugh! I can’t believe I forgot to choose the outfit I’ll be wearing on my first date! Who forgets that!? Me…that’s who!” I quietly shout to myself in English knowing that if someone happens to over-hear they won’t understand, while looking through my clothes. It takes a good hour before I finally decide on an outfit and another half hour for how I’ll have my hair. I won’t have a hard time sleeping from my nerves since I’m now completely exhausted. I quickly drift off to sleep wondering what Jonghyun has in store for me tomorrow.

It’s the next day and I jump out of my bed. I race to the bathroom before anyone gets in taking my shower and brushing my teeth. Once I get back to my room, I change into the outfit I picked out yesterday before I slept. My outfit is a light pink/peach dress that falls just above the knees and there’s a heart shape on the top part with just straps holding the dress like a tank top. I have black tights on and I put a black ¾ sleeve sweater over the dress with the finish touch being open-toed black ankle boots with a slight heel. For my hair, I decide to put half of it up and then have tiny pearl earrings to complete the look. Since I hardly put on make-up, today I put on eyeliner just for the top and I some lip-gloss. Before leaving my room, I take a quick look in the mirror and smile feeling satisfied with how I look. ‘I hope Jonghyun likes it.’ I grab my bag and leave my room to head for the living room. When I get there, Taemin sees me first at the table and his eyes widen.

“Aigo! N-Noona! You look so pretty!” he says happily.

“Gamsahabnida, Taemin-ah.” The others now turn to look at me and also have the same wide-eyed expression that Taemin had.

“Where are you headed looking like that?” Onew asks me.

I quickly think of something and say, “Oh…um, Seunghye-sshi planned something for me to go to and she said to dress nicely.” ‘Is that the best I can do with an excuse!?’

“Isn’t today your day off?” Minho now speaks up.

“Ne, but…she planned it at the last minute. Mianhaeyo, I promise we can all hang out the next time we all have a day off.” I see Key walking towards me examining me.

He walks around me before smiling with a thumb up and saying, “I approve of the outfit! Nice job!”

“Haha! Gamsahabnida, Key-oppa.” After saying that, I look back over to the table noticing someone is missing. “Um, where’s Jonghyun-oppa?”

“Hyung left early saying he had something to do today.” Minho speaks up again. ‘That’s his excuse!? It’s so vague! Plus…he never told me where to meet him!’

“Oh, I see. Well, I should get going. Domannaeyo!” With that said, I grab my jacket and walk out after I see the rest wave bye to me. I walk to the entrance of the dorms and I see Jonghyun standing there waiting for me. I can feel my heart racing from nerves as I get closer to him. Once I get close enough, he takes notice of me and I see his eyes widen and his mouth open slightly. I have the same type of reaction when I see him. Under his jacket he has on that’s open, I can see Jonghyun has a light blue dress shirt on that’s open enough for his white undershirt to be revealed and is tucked loosely in his fitted jeans. To finish his look, he has on a pair of white sneakers, a fedora that’s worn on the back of his head and of course sunglasses so people can’t recognize him. ‘Jonghyun looks so…wow.’

He walks up to me taking off his sunglasses and gives me a hug then he smiles down saying, “You look beautiful.”

I can feel my face burn from a blush and I look away hiding it, “G-Gamsahabnida.”

I hear him chuckle which makes me think he sees my blush, “Ready for what I planned for today?” I just nod at him still fazed from his compliment. I then feel him hold my hand and I look up at him.

Jonghyun has a huge grin on his face and says to me, “Let’s go.” He puts the sunglasses back on and we start walking towards a direction. He holds onto my hand the whole time and I hardly talk since I’m shy from not being use to holding a guy’s hand. I have no idea where we’re heading until we finally reach the destination and we’re standing in front of a karaoke bar. He pulls me inside and gets us a room.

“Karaoke?” I ask him while we take off our jackets and hang them up.

“Ne! It’s the first stop on our date. I wanted us to sing together.” I can’t help but blush at what he says combined his puppy-faced smile. “Let’s start singing!” At first, I’m nervous singing with him since he’s my favorite singer in SHINee, but after a few songs in, I loosen up. We start singing Abracadabra by Brown Eyed Girls and do the dance along with it. I laugh mostly through the song watching Jonghyun do the dance. Jonghyun chooses a SHINee song, Ring Ding Dong, wanting me to do the dance with him while we sing the song. I get embarrassed doing it at first since I don’t do it the right way, but Jonghyun helps me with the dance moves. At one point when dancing to the song, I trip and fall onto him which makes us both start laugh despite my cheeks reddening from embarrassment. We finally leave the karaoke bar and Jonghyun once again holds my hand walking me to the next destination.

“So what’s next on our agenda?” I ask Jonghyun feeling more comfortable around him.

“After all that singing and dancing, I thought you would like to get something sweet.” He responds smiling and pointing ahead of him. I look in the direction of where he’s points and I see a café. It’s a café I’ve never been to and once we get inside I love what I see. The café walls have gray bricks which have the look of being old, there are cushioned seats, candles are lit around the whole café with a chandelier of candles in the middle, and a fireplace near the back. Jonghyun takes me to a seat close to the fireplace so we can warm up a little. It’s February and still cold so we both order some cocoa and a treat on the side.

“So what do you think of your first date so far?” he asks me once the waiter leaves.

“Hm…I must say…that it’s been really good so far.” I smile to him when I see that Jonghyun gets happy from me enjoying what he’s planned so far. “So what do you have planned for the rest of the day?”

He gives me a teasing smirk, “You’ll just have to find out when we get to it.”

“Yah! You just love to tease me don’t you?”

“It’s fun haha!” he laughs at me when I pout and stick my tongue out at him making the “mehrong” sound to what he says. “So Kate-ah, you never really talk about your life back in New York. What’s it like there?”

“Hm, well to you, it would be fascinating to see all the tall buildings, the lights, the people…there’s just so much there and I love it.”

“I really want to go there. I hope SHINee gets to go there soon. We would bring you along so you can go back to visit.” I look up at him and don’t say anything, ‘Despite the fact that Jonghyun sometimes is a tease, acts like a child, and can be seen as a jerk/flirt at times…he can be really caring, thoughtful, funny, and sweet.’ “So what about your friends back at home?”

I turn my head towards the fireplace with a smile thinking about my friends before speaking, “They’re great friends. We can talk and laugh about anything, serious or casual conversation. I really miss them, but I talk to them from time to time. They’ve been supporting me this whole time even though I can hardly talk to them from being so busy. I really love them all.” I can feel a tear escape my eye, but wipe it away quickly before Jonghyun notices. I look back to him with a smirk, “Oh, my friends are big SHINee fans! My friend Linda-ah, I think is the biggest fan out of them. Guess who her favorite member is?”

“Nugu!? Nugu!?” he says now excited with anticipation for the answer. The way I tell him is by pointing directly at him casually still having a smirk plastered on my face.

Jonghyun does a little victory dance in his chair and cheers, “Yes! I can’t wait to tell Key-ah and rub it in his face!” I shake my head while laughing at his reaction. Jonghyun then stops abruptly, “Wait…you still need to tell me who you’re favorite member is!”

I sigh, “Jonghyun-oppa…”

“At least say what your ideal type is to the guy who’s your first date!”

I see him doing his puppy pout and it’s hard to resist, so I say with another sigh, “Fine…but, I’m only saying two qualities for my ideal type.” He nods and waits for me to speak again in anticipation, “One…he needs to know how to dress and two…someone who is sweet.”

“…Do I have those qualities?” I smile and shyly look away and nod a yes. He has a grin on his face that can light up a city and I can see a little tint of red on his cheeks.

He then asks me, “What about your family?”

I now hesitantly answer, “Well…my dad, mom, and brother all support me.”

“Ah, that’s good to hear.”

“My parents did want me to stick to art, but this opportunity came along and things changed.”

“You’re an artist!?” Jonghyun looks slightly surprised.

“Ne, it was my major in college.”

“Can I see some of your work one day?” he says completely interested in my new found talent.

“Sure, I have pictures from pieces I did that are back at home that I can show you.” After I say that, the waiter comes back with our cocoa and treat. The cocoa looks amazing with the whip cream and cinnamon on top. I take a sip out it and then take a bite or my cake. I hear Jonghyun start chuckling and I look up to ask what he’s laughing about.

“Mwoaeyo?” I ask. Instead of answering, he takes his napkin and gets up to lean over the table towards me. With the sudden action I assume he’s going to kiss me and I blush closing my eyes.

I then feel him wipe my cheek with the napkin which makes me open my eyes to see him smiling down at me and then says, “You’re so cute.” He sits back down once he finishes his task, “You had a little bit of icing on your cheek.”

“G-Gamsahabnida.” I thank him looking down being shy from the sudden action he just did. We talk some more getting to know each other while enjoying our sweets. By the time we finally finish, its 5pm. As soon as we exit, we see across from the café, there’s a photo sticker booth. Jonghyun grabs my hand and pulls me into the booth. He puts the money first, sits, takes his sunglasses off and then pulls me onto his lap wrapping his arm around my waist. I get shy from sitting on his lap, ‘I hope he doesn’t think I’m heavy.’ We smile for half the pictures and the other half are funny or ageyo pictures. One of the pictures, he kisses me on the cheek, so for the last shot, I decide to surprise him by kissing him on his cheek for the first time. After I do the gesture, I quickly get up to get the pictures that are now printing out. Jonghyun stands behind me while we look at the pictures together. I see the last picture of me kissing him on the cheek and he has a shocked expression while I’m blushing ten shades of red. Before I can quickly go to the next one, Jonghyun grabs the picture so he can look at it.

He looks at me after smiling and says, “This one is my favorite. Gamsahabnida, Kate-ah.”

I feel the same blush creep back on my face once again, “Ch-Cheonmannaeyo.” He holds my hand once again and we walk in a direction I’ve never been in. I then see the tram ride and I immediately know that we’re going on it.

“This is the last stop on our date.” I see Jonghyun look towards the tram ride smiling. We get on one of them and since it’s a weekday, no one is on it which means Jonghyun can take his sunglasses off and he does. I stand at the window watching as we get higher and higher. At one point, I start feeling scared since now we’re really high up and it causes me to grab onto Jonghyun’s arm.

I can see from the corner of my eye that he likes what I did and he puts the arm I just grabbed around me, “Its ok, we’re almost there.” What he says is true because the tramcar stops and the two doors open. We walk out and I feel relieved that we’re not suspended in the air anymore. Jonghyun and I walk towards a shrine holding hands once again. As we get closer I see how beautiful the shrine is. Jonghyun lets go of my hand and walks to a point near the edge of the outside of the shrine gesturing me to come over. I do as he says and once I get there I see a breathtaking sight. I’m able to see all of Seoul and since the sun is starting to set, the sun is hitting everything so beautifully.

“Do you like it?” I hear Jonghyun ask.

“Anio…I love it. It’s gorgeous Jonghyun-oppa. The sight is simply breathtaking.” I tell him while still looking at the magnificent view.

“Ne, what I’m seeing is definitely breathtaking.” His comment makes me look over to him to see exactly what exactly he’s looking at. I turn my head and discover that he’s leaning over with both his arms resting on the fence that kept us from falling and has his eyes directly on me. Jonghyun’s face is graced with a sweet smile and I can see the affection in his eyes. I don’t know what to say, so I don’t say anything and look back at the view with a smile on my face. We stay there in silence watching as the sun gets lower and lower.

“Kate-ah, can you sing for me?” Jonghyun asks randomly looking towards me again.

“Mwoaeyo? I sang when we did karaoke.”

“Ne, hajiman…I was the one who actually sang while you were laughing most of the time.”

“Oh…yea. True.” I agree to his argument.

“Please, sing something to me. I’ll sing something after.” He asks and I can never say no when he brings out his pleading puppy eyes.

“O-Ok, what do you want me to sing?”

“How about one of your songs that you’re working on?” With that I agree and start singing one of the songs that will be on my album. My nerves are definitely up since Jonghyun is such a good singer that I admire and I don’t want to mess up in front of him. I only sing the chorus so I finish quickly. I look over to Jonghyun who’s expression is one of amazement, “Kate-ah…I know for sure that you’ll do great when you debut. Your voice is amazing!”

I blush from his compliment, “Yours is definitely more amazing though.”

“Well, maybe one day we can sing a duet on stage.”

“That sounds great. It’s your turn now.” He stands up straight and walks over to me then holds my hand. He starts singing the song Nothing Better by Brown Eyed Soul. He looks at me in the eye while singing the whole time.

“Nothing better, nothing better…than you.” He finishes up to the first chorus. Jonghyun then turns away, looking out to the view giggling obviously feeling shy and embarrassed.

“Gamsahabnida Jonghyun-oppa.” I also look back out at the view after I say that. After a while we decide to head back to the dorms. While heading back, I start to slow down and Jonghyun takes notice.

“What’s wrong?” he asks me with a little concern in his voice.

“Nothing, I’m just a little tired now.” I give him a smile to reassure him that I’m fine.

He then squats down in front of me and says, “Get on.”

“No really, it’s ok Jonghyun-oppa. You don’t have to carry me.”

“Please, Kate-ah. Get on for me.” He turns his head to look back at me and I sigh before getting on his back. Jonghyun gets up holding my legs and I wrap my arms around his neck so I don’t fall off. I definitely feel embarrassed with being so close to his face and thinking I’m heavy for him.

He carries me in silence for a while, but then I say, “Jonghyun-oppa?”

“Mm?”

“I’m not really someone who believes in perfection, but…this first date is definitely the closest thing to being perfect. Gamsahabnida.” I whisper it near his ear and from what I can see, he blushes which makes me smile.

“Cheonmannaeyo, Kate-ah. I really wanted to make it special for you, and I glad I succeeded.” Once we’re at the entrance of the dorms its dark outside. He puts me down and then grabs my hand while we walk up to our dorm. We’re now at the front of the door and I’m hoping that none of the guys step out randomly ending up discovering us together. I then let a thought cross my mind and I chuckle.

“Mwoaeyo?” Jonghyun asks curious as to why I’m laughing.

“I never heard of a first date ending where the guy drops off the girl, but lives with her haha.” Jonghyun now laughs thinking about the situation too.

He smirks and points behind him with his thumb, “Well, I can leave after dropping you off and walk around the dorms about five times if that makes you feel better.”

I give him a shove on one of his shoulders, “Aigo! You really are a tease!” We laugh at my comments and I stop when I finally notice exactly how close I am to him. He too soon realizes how close to each other we are. He starts leaning forward and my nerves shoot up. ‘Is he going to kiss me again!?’ I watch him and never break eye contact. I have a feeling Jonghyun senses my nerves because he then raises his head a little higher and ends up kissing me on the forehead. He pulls away and I make eye contact with him once again. I see him smile  and since it’s contagious, I mirror him. 

He then starts walking away, but then turns around saying, “You enter first and then I’ll come in ten minutes after.” I give him a nod telling him I understand. I enter the dorm and see that everyone is starting to head to bed.

“Noona! Welcome back! How was the event with Seunghye-sshi?” Taemin says coming up to me.

“Mwoaeyo? Oh! Right! Well, it was ok, Seunghye-sshi being her normal strict self haha.” ‘I almost forgot about my excuse!’

“Aw, well we missed you today. Let’s hang out next day off.” Key now comes from around the corner saying.

“We definitely will hang out. Anyway, I’m exhausted so I’ll see you guys later. Jal Ja!” They say their good nights to me and I head straight to me room. Ten minutes later after I’m done changing into my pajamas, I hear Jonghyun enter the dorm. He talks about his made up day with Key while Key scolds him for coming back so late. ‘Didn’t I just get home ten minutes ago? I guess Key only scolds Jonghyun haha…revealing the couple side of them again.’ I have no more energy and jump in my bed ready to dream about whatever enters my head. Of course, I think about my day before sleeping. ‘My first date…was amazing. I never knew Jonghyun can be like that…another side of Jonghyun. He really worked hard into planning everything and he’s so sweet. This was a great day.’

I then remember the photos we took earlier today and I get out of bed to take them out of my bag to look at. I smile while going through the pictures again. ‘Hm, I should take a picture of a few of these so I can save them on my laptop.’ I take a picture of a few that I really like doing the rest at another time. My laptop turns on and I upload them. ‘…I should check my mail before going to bed. Man, I can’t get over today haha.’ I go to the site where my email is and at the homepage I see recent news in the kpop world. ‘I wonder what’s going on now.’ I browse until I see one headline with a picture that instantly changes my mood. “SHINee’s Minho dating F(x)’s Krystal”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn some Korean~!

Domannaeyo - See you again

So, I'm done with my summer class! I just have the final on Tuesday and then I'm finished! Woo! Which means I can now write more and post more often. This chapter is actually what my ideal date is keke~ Anyway hope you enjoyed it!