Slowly But Surely

The Perfect Fake Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three days worth of sun, smiles and food soon came to an end. Each day was similar as the last but it never got boring for even a second. The short holiday is just what the doctor ordered for Hyemi.

With stress building up from work and school, a short visit to heaven seemed to relax her completely. She was glad to see her brother enjoying himself so much along with the other boys. One of the ver few things Hyemi couldn't give her brother was the bond between brotherhood. Hyemi could never understand it herself but she was never able to give the kind of fun to her brother as Kai and his friends did. With that, she was very happy to have sacrificed a little time off from work and from studying.

Hyemi reminsced to her first night. The lingering feeling and beautiful image of her and Kai both standing under the moonlit sky was unforgetable. She could remember ever so clearly of the feeling of his warmth embraced around her. His heated breath against her neck and his heartbeat against her back. It all felt surreal as she would have never imagined the situation they were in. However, what shock Hyemi was that she didn't pull away, and what scared her even more was that she had absolutely no intention to. 

 

Laying on his stomach, Kai laid still in his bed then suddenly changing his position, facing the ceiling. His arm covering his eyes as he try to shake an image off from his head. It was bothering him greatly. For the past two days, his mind just couldn't seem to concentrate on anything but that particular event. He felt incredibly embarassed thinking about it. His sudden actions shocked him too. Wrapping his arms around Hyemi was unimaginable yet he did it! What was going through his head to make such a stupid move like that? He didn't know himself. However what alarmed him even more was that he didn't pull away nor even wanted to.

Kai groaned as he buried his head in his pillow. He needed to forget about it. He needed to forget about the warmth of Hyemi's body, the ravishing scent of her hair and her stunning glistening eyes... Kai groaned louder. 

He suddenly sat up and brought his laptop that sat on his side table to his lap. He needed to distract himself. Kai opened a browser and logged unto his Facebook. He was greeted by a picture of Luhan and Hyemi smiling with crescent eyes. Kai rolled his eyes in irritation and continued to scroll down his news feed. Various photos from the holiday followed and Kai seemed to realised something. "Does Lee Hyemi not have Facebook?" he asked aloud. Kai typed Hyemi's name on the search bar and there didn't seem to be a match for her. Kai then typed her name into the Google search bar.

Kai furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. The results came up with Mr. Lee Hyunsoo. He was the man at Krystal's parent's dinner. If he remembered correctly he was the CEO of that big company his parents were doing business with. Kai tilted his head. But why would his name come up? Kai researched into this topic further. He clicked 'Images' and scrolled down to look for a picture of Hyemi. Kai suddenly stopped and squinted his eyes. A familiar figure caught his eyes. He clicked on the picture and enlarged it. It was a picture of a younger Mr. Lee along with a lady that was probably his wife. His wife was carrying what a little girl in her arms around about the age 5. Curiosity enraptured Kai. He clicked on the source of the image and he was directed to a newspaper article. He read beneath the image...

'Mr. Lee Hyunsoo(35) along with his wife Mrs. Lee Kyungmi(35) and their daughter Lee Hyemi(6)'

Kai's eyes widened as he sat frozen in time. He reread the caption over and over again to see if he was mistaken. He continued to read the article and articles linking with Mr. Lee Hyunsoo.

                                                            'Mr. Lee Hyunsoo to expect another child'

                                           'Mr. Lee Hyunsoo's wife reported to have died after giving birth'

                                                                                                      'Mr. Lee Hyunsoo's children reported to study abroad'

 

Shell shocked, Kai leaned his head back, hitting the backboard of the bed. His mouth hung open as he stared in space. Kai hated to believe it but everything was making sense. Hyemi looked very similar to Mr. Lee Hyunsoo's daughter. Hyemi isn't living with her parents but with a 4 year old boy, the same age which Mr. Lee Hyunsoo's wife son should be right now...

Kai jolted up and closed his laptop with force. He shook his head frantically. No, this is impossible. He shouldn't get ahead of himself. He needs proof and evidence and answers and... Hyemi. He needs to know more. Without any second thoughts, he grabbed his phone and quickly dialed Hyemi's number. After the third ring, Hyemi answered, "Hello?"

"Hyemi! I'm going to your apartment right now. I need help with an essay. I'll be there in fifteen minutes," Kai quickly replied before ending the call.

 

Hyemi stood speechless as she stared at the blank screen of her phone. She was currently making dinner and got distracted by Kai's sudden and confusing phone call. She didn't even know how to react with the situation she was in. Should she be mad? Should she panic? Instead of feeling any of these negative emotions, she just felt dumbfounded. With a sigh and a roll of her neck, she resumed with her cooking.

 

Just as Kai had said, fifteen minutes later, Hyemi found a poker faced Kai standing in front her doorway. "Hey," he simply said. "I'll let myself in."

"Yah, wait a minute," Hyemi said. "It's the summer holiday and you're doing an essay?" she asked, flabbergasted. "Where is Kai and what have you done to him?"

Kai rolled his eyes. "It's due on the first day back and there is no way I could do this by myself," Kai explained. He walked in after taking his shoes off and spotted Hyunjong playing a video game with his head phones on. "Hey! Hyunjongie!" Kai shouted, causing Hyunjong to turn round. His face brightened as he took his head phones off and paused the game. He ran up to Kai and hugged his long muscular legs. "Hyung!" he beamed. He looked up smiling. "What are you doing here?"

Kai chuckled as he ruffled the little boy's head. "Your sister's kindly helping me with homework."

Hyemi faked a cough. "For your information, I had absolutely no say in this at all."

"So you're going to deny a request from a friend?" Kai asked with innocent eyes. 

Hyemi rolled her eyes. "One, who said you were my friend? Two, you know I'm going to help you anyway since you're already here."

"Great," Kai replied before carrying Hyunjong to the couch. "Let's start then." He brought out his laptop from his bag and placed it on the small coffee table. He adjusted his sitting position then looked up at Hyemi and smiled innocently. 

With a sigh, Hyemi sat down beside him. "Okay, so what's the essay about?"

"Shakespeare," Kai answered simply.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter