Sick Day

The Perfect Fake Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days had already passed and Hyemi wasn't going anywhere in fixing her sleeping schedule. Work and school work started to drag her from her sleep into exhaustion. Her under-eye dark cirlces worsened each passing day as she continued to over-work herself. She was working at night, leaving Hyunjong under the care of the ahjumma living beside their room in the apartment. Coming home at 2am each night and doing homework straight after ended with Hyemi falling asleep at her desk instead of her bed. She promised herself that she would only stop doing work at the pace she was going in now when she gets her paycheck. Hyemi needed more money to pay for Hyunjong's upcoming trip to the aquarium and there was no way she was ever going to let Amber or any of her friends that the whole reason she's looking as if she could pass out any moment was because of her lack of money.

It was 7am already and Hyemi was walking mindlessly at the hallways of the school. Because she was one of the student council, she was at school earlier than everybody else that day to run errands for the teachers. She was carrying a rolled-up poster of the map for a geography class. Hyemi could barely keep her eyes open even with the amount of coffee she drank that morning. The constant noise around her caused a headache to grow in Hyemi's head. A sudden impact pushed her shoulder causing Hyemi to lose her balance. Thankfully, the lockers supported her weight and she was up on her feet again. Once she looked up again, she found Kai who's head was tilted to the side as he watched Hyemi.

"Hey," he said. "What're you doing?"

"Running errands for the teachers," Hyemi replied weakly as she took a small step forwards.

"You seriously have-" Kai stopped mid-way his sentence as he cuaght Hyemi who had fallen into his arms. Kai was paralyzed for a moment at the sudden action by Hyemi. He picked her up to look at her face and it was only then that he noticed the paleness of Hyemi's face. Her eyebags dramatically worsened since the last time he stared at her face. Her once, redened lips was replaced by a lifeless beige colour. Kai parted his lips as his breathing hardened in fear. Even without checking, he knew that there was something very wrong with Hyemi. He placed his hand against her forehead and it was boiling hot. 

"Lee Hyemi," Kai called as he lightly tapped Hyemi's face. "Yah. Lee Hyemi!" he raised his voice louder, in hope that it would waken Hyemi up. Kai's heart started to beat faster and faster as he continued to stare at Hyemi's colourless face. He leaned down to check Hyemi's breathing and his heart rate decreased a bit. He looked up and found a crowd of student gathered around him. Without thinking, he swiftly carried Hyemi in his arms, not noticing at how light she was. "Move!" he shouted. "Move out the way!" Kai rushed towards the infirmary, gaining students' attention on the way.

He kicked the door to the infirmary open as he rushed Hyemi to one of the beds. "Nurse Song!" Kai called. "Hy-Hyemi fainted."

"What happened to her?" The nurse quickly brought her tools as she moved towards Hyemi's side and started to flash a light on both of her eyes.

"I-I think she has a fever," Kai stuttered as his heart continued to race faster and faster. "I touched her face earlier and it was really hot."

"Alright," the nurse said. "You can go now Jongin. I'll take care of her from here."

Kai was reluctant for Hyemi to leave his sight. He wanted to know what had happened for her to be in that state. With a slight bow, Kai left the infirmary and walked with his head down towards the crowd of students. Floods of questions were inside everybody's head yet no one dared to ask as the look on Kai's face made it very clear for no one to speak about it.

Throughout the day was hell for Kai. No matter how much he tried to distract himself, all he could think about was Hyemi. Was she okay? Where was she? When will she back? However, Kai was oblivious to the worry in those questions. He had visited the infirmary again later that day and found out that Hyemi had gone home. Nurse Song told him that Hyemi had got a high fever and probably fainted due to exhaustion. Kai believed it right away. From the way Hyemi looked, it seems as if she hasn't slept for days. Dark circles was evident around her eyes and in her actual eyes had the colour red in the corners. Kai only started to worry even more. It's not that he actually cares, it was that that was the first ever time someone had fainted in front of him. He's just curious, that's all...

The following day, Kai searched the crowd at the gym for a particular person. His eyes widened as he jumped a little before running towards the person. "Amber!" he called. "Is Hyemi still away?"

Amber raised an eyebrow at the panting Kai. "Yeah, a fever won't go down in a day so she's still sick."

"Ok-okay, I was just curious that's all. It's been a while since she did her role..." Kai scratched the back of his head. "Umm, can I go see her today?" he asked, not giving eye contact with Amber.

"Why?" Amber,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter