What Now?

Some Day

The time after detention was too much for you, so you didn’t end up seeing Soohyun. Even if you did go to see him, you wouldn’t know what to say. Everything was going perfect for you. You never imagined that your wishes with Kevin would come true. It was quite extraordinary.

The morning after, you tiredly walked over to the living room. You expected your mum to be there, or maybe in the kitchen but there was no sign of her. After checking every single room, you walked over to the table to find a note laying there folded up. You expected the worse. No sign of your mum and a letter on the table.

Walking over to the piece of paper, your hand shook as you picked it up. Unfolding it you read its words out.

 “Dear Soo Jung,

I need to leave to be with him for a little while, I love him too much. I don’t know if I’ll be back, I’m so sorry Soo Jung. Eomma is a bad woman. I love you Soo Jung, I’m sorry but I couldn’t handle it anymore. Sorry.”

You stared down at the letter with tears forming in your eyes. The ‘him’ was your mum’s lover. He had made your mum fall in love with him. Why? You don’t know why. He’d been over multiple times but the attitude he displayed was sickening to you. He always wanted to drink and said he needed money. His wife divorced him because he was looking for other women. You had no idea what your mum saw in him and how she could even fall for a man like him. You hated seeing him, especially around your mum. Your mum was a good woman but your father wanted a divorce. He moved to Busan with another woman when you were ten. Of course it was hard to live without a father, but your mum was always there for you, always. But now, your mum had left you alone. You didn’t know how to react. Your mum couldn’t just leave you like this, with no money and nothing.

The tears fell out of your eyes as you dropped to the floor, still holding the piece of paper.

Eomma..

You looked at the ground through your teary eyes and tried to stop crying but the tears kept flowing out. How were you supposed to live now? With no money, what were you supposed to do? Did you have to pay mortgage, bills and everything else? It was all impossible to you. No way. Even if you took on a job it wouldn’t pay everything.

Why would you do this to me eomma?

The tears were still falling down your cheeks as you slowly tried to stand up. You didn’t know what to do now. You walked over to the bathroom slowly and drooped over the sink. You splashed your face with water. There was still a whole day of school left. Even though you were definitely not in the mood, you had to step up. If you stayed one day at home, you feared you would never want to go to school. It was better going sooner than later.

After putting on your uniform and grabbing a quick breakfast, you made your way to school. You tried to take your mind off how you’d have to live alone. You thought about yesterday, how everything was so perfect. There was one good thing in your life, the person you liked for a year now likes you back. You were grateful for that.

Reaching the school classroom again, you took a seat and put down your bag. You glanced back to see if Soohyun was here. Soohyun was sitting back in his chair, arms crossed staring at his desk with an expression on his face looking like he wasn’t in a very good mood.

“Soohyun! Hi! Where were you yesterday!?” You said excitedly, hoping to light up the mood.

Soohyun looked up at you, not even changing his facial expression. He then put his hands on the desk and stood up. Leaving his chair a metre away from his table, he walked out of the classroom with a stern expression.

You became scared. What if he saw you with Kevin?

A few minutes later, the teacher walked in and soon followed Soohyun. He walked back to his desk as you looked up at him, but he didn’t even glance down at you once. You were worried now, Soohyun looked angry. Much angrier than the happy and sweet him that you always saw.


After school finally, you found Soohyun walking down the hallway, hands in pockets, alone.

“Soohyun!” you shouted out and you ran a little to catch up with him.

He didn’t look back or budge so you decided to run up to him. You stood in front of him so that he couldn’t go anywhere.

“Soohyun, what’s been happening with you these days huh? Why won’t you talk to me?” You were scared but tried to stay confident.

“What’s been happening? Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” Soohyun said looking down at you.

“What? What are you talking about?” You had a feeling it could’ve been about you and Kevin. You were fearful about what Soohyun would say next.

“What am I talking about!? Soo Jung! You know what I’m talking about.” Soohyun seemingly didn’t want to mention what happened. You had a feeling you knew exactly what he was talking about and this was a bad feeling, definitely.

“Eh?” You pretended to not know.

“Fine Soo Jung, you want to know!? You’ve found someone else. Want to know who!? KEVIN! Hope you have fun kissing him outside the train station again.” Soohyun said angrily, raising his voice. He stormed off brushing your shoulder as he walked away. You turned around. You didn’t mean to hurt him like this, definitely not. But then the reality hit you, his last sentence.

The person who was staring at me that day... was Soohyun...

Watching him walk down the rest of the hallway, you’d realised what you’d done to him. You knew what it felt like to be in his position. The only feeling that came across you was guilt. You felt so bad, to break Soohyun’s heart like this.

“Soo Jung!” someone had called out your name and you heard footsteps running towards you.

You turned around, there were tears forming in your eyes but you managed to keep yourself together. Kevin was coming towards you, smiling as he always was.

“Soo Jung! What are you doing?” He said as he approached you.

“Oh I’m just going home!” You found it a relief to see Kevin but Soohyun’s words were still stuck in your head. You couldn’t forget his anger.

“Oh, mind if I come with!?” Kevin seemed quite enthusiastic.

It wasn’t like your mum was home anyway, so why not? “Ah sure then!” You said nodding your head.

The two of you made your way to your house. You walked in and of course, your mum wasn’t home. Kevin trailed in behind you. You put your bags down and went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

“Want some water?” You said but then looked back to see Kevin reading the letter your mum had written to you.

“Kevin..” you ran up to him but it was too late. He’d already read the whole letter.

He looked at you a little shocked. “So, you’re here... yourself...?

“Eh... well.. I guess so..” You said and looked down.

“Let me stay with you”, Kevin seemed quite sincere. You thought about it for a while. Maybe it wasn’t too bad of an idea...

“You would?” You guessed it might be a burden on Kevin.

“Of course! Anything for you!” Kevin said and a smile lit up on his face as looked to the ground.

“I mean, wouldn’t it be a bother?” You felt a little bad.

“NO! I’m staying here okay! Good? Okay let’s go I have to get my stuff!” Kevin said smiling back up at you.

A smile grew on your face and joy overcame you. Maybe your mum not being here wasn’t the worst thing...

 


 

Ok sorry this is a little short!!! Really sorry. Okay just so everyone knows, Kevin actually likes you and he’s not pretending to like you just so he can use you! Hope you guys are going well! My throat is hurting all of a sudden, I have no idea why. Takes out some of the fun during the holidays but anyways! Thank you all for reading this fan fiction so far!!! I love you!!!