Arranged Marriage Meeting

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Miyeon’s POV*

I was passing the school gates when I felt something tackle me from behind. I almost lost my footing but the person who jumped on me kept me balanced. There was only one person who would do that to me. I turned around and see Sandeul smiling that cheerful smile of his. 

“You seem happy,” I said. His smile became even bigger. “Okae that’s creepy. Stop it.”

He laughed and we both walked towards the school building. 

“You’re in a good mood aren’t you?” I asked. “Did something happen yesterday?” 

Sandeul shook his head. “I’m just happy. Is that so wrong?”

I laughed, “No there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m just curious to know the reason for your happiness.” I nudged him. “Did you meet some girl?”

He stopped walking and looked at me like I’m crazy. “Why would you think that?”

I shrugged. “Well there has got to be a reason for your happiness.”

He slung his arm over my shoulder and we continued walking. “I just feel like being happy. Don’t ruin it.”

“Well okae,” I said and giggled.

*Sandeul’s POV*

There were times where I had to hide my feelings, but never this much. I wanted to break down and cry. I wanted Miyeon to cradle me in her arms, and comfort me. Like she always does. Not anymore though. I don’t want to be pushed around by my father anymore. This time I’m going to be protecting Miyeon. I will not let my father lay a hand on her.

Flashback…

My mom just finished comforting me and left me in my room. My eyes were red and puffy from all the crying. I am such a wimp. I was sitting on my bed when I heard yelling. I look to my left - where my parents’ room was at. I walked slowly to the wall and pressed my ear against it. They were yelling, I knew that, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. I was only able to pick up bits of their conversation.

“Don’t be so hard on the boy,” my mother said.

I couldn’t make out what my father said but I caught the word “useless”.

I pressed my ear closer, trying to hear their conversation better. For awhile I couldn’t understand what they were saying, but then they broke out yelling. 

“STOP THIS NONSENSE!” My mother yelled. “IT’S JUNGHWAN’S LIFE. NOT YOURS. STOP TRYING TO MAKE UP WHAT YOU COULDN’T USING HIM!”

“ALL THE MORE REASON TO PUSH HIM HARDER!” my father snapped. 

My mother lowered her voice, “I was against this from the start, but I let you teach Junghwan because I actually thought he might like the hotel business. I wanted him to look up to his father like most sons do. But can’t you see that he doesn’t want to go through this? Especially with those illegal funds. I can’t believe you’re doing this.”

It was quiet after that. Or I just couldn’t hear anything. 

“I can’t believe I married you,” my mom said. It was strange, I didn’t feel surprised to hear her say that. 

I hear a loud sound. Like the sound of a hand hitting against something hard. Wait. He didn’t-

I pulled away from the wall and was going to run into my parents’ room. I was about to open my door when I heard footsteps. Panicking, I sprinted towards my desk and opened a random book. I acted like I was reading when my father marched in. 

I turned to him. “Yes abeoji,” I said, giving him a mean glare.

He stomped his way to me and I was scared he was going to slap me again. “Tomorrow,” he said.

I was confused. “What?”

“Tomorrow you are meeting my friend’s daughter. After school. I’m having one of my secretaries pick you up. No questions. No resistance. You’re going.” He ordered me like a dictator. He turned and walked back out the room. He stopped by the door way and faced me. “Oh. And you won’t be seeing your mother for awhile.” He closed the door and I charged. I shook the doorknob. Pushed it. Pound on it. Kicked it. Nothing worked. The door was closed shut. The lock was on the inside and I have no idea how he gotten it to stay locked. After an hour of kicking, pounding, and screaming I tired out. I fell to the floor and just lay there.

I wanted to cry but the tears wouldn’t come out. I lay there and stared at the ceiling. It was plain white but I could see the faint glow of the glow-in-the-dark star stickers that was put up there when I was a kid. It didn’t glow anymore though. Two years ago I asked if I can have it replaced but my father told me that it was childish. 

Eventually I fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up with my whole body in pain. That’s what I get for sleeping on the floor. I trudged to my bathroom and took a shower. I was in no hurry so I just stood there. My mind blank. I felt emotionless. Or a better term would be lifeless. I finished my shower and put on my uniform. I grabbed my bag and when I stepped outside my room and immediately felt that something was wrong. 

I walked down the hallway towards the stairs that led down to the foyer. I walked down, my hand sliding on the railings. I stopped at the foot of the stairs and looked around. Something was really strange. Something felt out of place. I slowly walked towards the kitchen, bracing myself. I don’t know what for. Another slap in the face? A full beating? I’m not sure. The adrenaline was pumping and my heart was beating faster. I stopped right in front of the kitchen entrance and took a deep breath. I put on the best poker face I had. Luckily my eyes weren’t too red and puffy from crying. I didn’t want to show that I was weak.

I walked in to see my father eating breakfast. He didn’t look up as I walked in. A meal was prepared but I didn’t feel like eating with him. I grabbed two pieces of bread and popped it into the toaster. 

“After school. One of my secretaries will pick you up and take you straight to the hotel.” my father said. I turned around but he wasn’t even looking up. He continued talking. “Her name is Shin Ha Neul. Be on your best behavior and don’t mess things up. The future of the hotel depends on this marriage.”

The word marriage had caught my attention. I swung to face my father and looked at him with disgust. Again he paid me no attention. 

“Where’s mother?” I asked.

He stayed quiet. 

“WHERE IS SHE?!” 

He threw his chopsticks and it flew across the table. He looked pissed but he didn’t look at me. “I sent her on… a vacation.”

“You mean you got rid of her.”

This time he looked at me and I could see the anger in his eyes. “Do you think I’m a murderer?” he said with rage in his voice. “I just sent her away for awhile.”

I didn’t know what to think. He was taking away everything I had. My freedom of speech, my rights, my mom. He was taking my whole life.

“Oh and from this day on, stop hanging out with that friend of yours. What’s her name? Kwon Miyeon? Stay away from her. If you don’t, well let’s just say you won’t see her in school anymore.” my father warned. 

That was it. That was the last straw. My father could take everything away from me, but he isn’t taking Miyeon away from me. The only person who brought me happiness. My thoughts were clouded with anger I didn’t realize what I was doing. Once I came back to reality I saw that I was clutching the white table cloth in my hand. Couple of food stains was splattered on it. Broken China dishware was scattered on the floor. And a very angry man was sitting at the table.

My legs were shaking and before my father could react, I dashed out the house, almost tripping on the porch steps. I pushed the white gates open to see a small black limousine waiting for me.

“What…” I said, staring at the limousine in disbelief. 

“Mr. Lee has ordered me to pick you up and drop you off going to and from school and everywhere else.” said Mr. Jang. He stood next to the driver seat.

I wanted to run away but I thought it was pointless. I threw my bag inside and sat at the way back. Mr. Jang got into the driver’s seat and I rode to school on a limousine. How great is that?

 End of Flashback….

Thinking about it now, it was really embarrassing. Everyone was staring as I got off. I saw Miyeon walking towards the school but I waited until Mr. Jang left. I didn’t want him tattle-telling on me to my father. 

Miyeon and I walked into our classroom and sat in our usual seats. For the whole entire day I hung out with Miyeon, not letting her out of my sight. Which she found creepy by the way, but I just laughed it off. I contained my feelings as much as I could and plastered a huge smile on my face to hide my sadness. Fortunately she didn’t suspect a thing.

It was the end of the day and I was shoving books into my bag. I could see the limousine parked outside the school gates. A lot of people were staring and I could see Mr. Jang waiting at the gates.

“Why is everyone looking out the window?” Miyeon asked curiously. 

“I don’t know!” I slung my bag over my shoulder and put my arms around her shoulder. We should get going!”

Miyeon just stared at me and nodded reluctantly. She looked back, curious to know what’s at the front of the school. I wasn’t going to let her know that I’m suppose to meet some girl my father arranged me to marry! I just had to distract her some how. 

We kept walking through the halls, down the stairs. I tried to avoid Miyeon looking out the window. We were finally at the first floor and I was panicking. I didn’t know how to make Miyeon leave or how I should leave without her seeing me in that limo. 

“Ah!” I heard Miyeon’s voice behind me. I turned around and saw her searching her bag. “I forgot my notebook! I can’t leave it we have a test tomorrow! Sandeul can you just go on ahead without me? I’ll call you later!”

I was in a daze, but I nodded. Luck seemed to be on my side. She ran up the stairs and waved at me and I waved back. I waited till she was out of sight when I ran out the school building, across the field, and jumped into the limousine, hoping no one noticed. I ordered for Mr. Jang to hurry up, but he tried to annoy me by taking his time. Soon enough, we left the school with me hiding in the back seat.

*Miyeon’s POV*

I was watching from the second floor window when I saw Sandeul running into the limousine. It didn’t surprise me. I already knew that he was rich. 

There were three things I found strange though. One: why was he being picked up in a limousine? Sandeul hated the fact that he was rich and didn’t want to show it off to others. Two: why didn’t he tell me about it. Three: the way he acted today. He may have acted like he was cheerful and nothing could go wrong, but I know him better than that. I can see right through him.

I turned around and headed back downstairs and out the school building. It was a lie. I didn’t leave my notebook. It was right here in my bag. I just wanted to know why Sandeul was acting so strange.

*Sandeul’s POV*

I pushed the rotating doors out of the way and I heard a thud and a loud grunt. I assumed the doors hit Mr. Jang and when I turned around I saw him rubbing his forehead. I smirked in satisfaction. 

“This way,” he said irritably. He was still rubbing his forehead and I followed him to a small coffee shop. He led me to a small table for two near the back, right next to the window where you can view the busy street. There was a girl waiting there and when she saw us she smiled.

Nr. Jang bowed to the girl. “Good evening ma’am.”

The girl giggled. “No need to be so formal.” She got up and flattened her white pleated skirt. She wore a light blue blazer and a white dress shirt underneath. Her hair was up in a bun and she had sparkling, light brown eyes that matched her hair. She looked like a doll.

She bowed to me and I bowed back and introduced ourselves. She then gestured for Mr. Jang to leave. “It’s better if we talk among ourselves. It’ll be less awkward that way.”

Reluctantly, Mr. Jang left. We both sat down and ordered a drink. “Water for me please,” said Ha Neul. ”Uhh… I’ll have water too.” I said.

We sat there in silence for awhile. I looked nervously around the room. And even if she didn’t show it, Ha Neul was nervous too. She kept playing with her necklace. It was a silver dove with an engraving on the back but I couldn’t make out what it said.

I wanted this meeting to be over soon so I gathered all my courage to say it. “Umm, Ha Neul. I don’t know how to put this but… I really don’t—”

“I don’t want to marry you,” she interrupted. 

I stared at her, lost for words. Did I hear right? “Excuse me, what?”

Her soft expression hardened. She became more serious. “I don’t want to marry you. My father dragged me here out of my own will. I’m sorry but I just can’t.”

I don’t know how she expected me to react, but I laughed. “Well that’s a relief. I didn’t want to marry you either. No offense. You’re very pretty, but I’m just too young to get married.

Ha Neul laughed as well. “Yeah well, our parents can always wait till we’re older.” Her smile faded and so did mine.

“Your father dragged you here too?” she asked me.

I nodded. “Out of my own free will.” I took a sip of my water. “Don’t you hate that? Your parents tell you what to do and you have to follow them. It’s like they’re deciding our lives for us.”

Ha Neul nodded in agreement. “Yes. It’s been that way for me. My father always wanted a son so that he can take over the company. Instead he got three daughters, me being the youngest. My two older sisters already decided their lives for themselves. My oldest sister became an actress and my other sister became a model. My father didn’t want the company to fall so instead, he decided to merge with another company through marriage. And he decided to use me.” Her face became dark and her eyes weren’t sparkling no more. “He let my other two sisters do whatever they want but orders me around. I think he wants me to become famous like my sisters.”

“You don’t want to?” I asked.

She shook her head. “Being famous is cool, but seeing how busy and tired my sisters get… I rarely get to see them anymore. And having all those paparazzi follow you everywhere, it’s crazy. I don’t want that. Maybe if you enjoy that stuff, but honestly I hate it. Besides. I’m a terrible actor and camera shy.”

“So what do you like?” I questioned.

She smiled and touched her dove necklace. “I love photography and traveling the world. There was a time when my family went to Italy and my mom bought me a new camera. I had so much fun taking pictures.” She paused and looked out the window. “I want to travel the world and take pictures of it’s beauty. However my father doesn’t approve of that.”

“Of course,” I said and roll my eyes.

“This isn’t the first arranged marriage meeting I’ve been to,” Ha Neul confessed.

I was truly surprised. “Really?”

“Yup. I’ve been to so many marriage meetings. My father even held a party and invited mostly men. He made me talk to every single one of them to see if there’s one a like. If you knew me, I hated them all. They’re all greedy bastards who don’t even look at me. They look at my background and what I have. And it’s even worse because I’m related to a famous actress and model.” She rolled her eyes at that last sentence. “Although I have to say you’re the first person who isn’t interested in me.”

I blushed a little. “Uh… so there was really no one that caught your eye? Not with all those arranged meetings and parties?”

Her expression became sad. Again she touched her necklace. 

At that moment it hit me. “Unless you have someone else…”

A small smile formed on her lips. “His name is Kim Daehyun. I met him when I ran away from home.” My reaction must have been funny because she laughed. “Yes. Even a rich, doll-like girl like me can get sick of life and run away from home.”

I became embarrassed. “Mianhae…”

She waved her hand. “It’s okae,” she said. “Now on to my story. Well yes it was about a year ago when I ran away from home. It was raining that day and I didn’t know where else to go. I was hiding under a bridge in a park. I was crying because I felt so alone, but I didn’t dare go back home. That’s when he found me.” Her smiled became bigger and her face lit up. Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. “He found me crying and gave me his jacket for me to use. He shared his umbrella with me and offered to go to his house. Now I know what you’re thinking. ‘Why did you agree to go to a stranger’s house? Are you crazy?’ Well, maybe I was. But I saw the look in his eyes. It was kindness. Pure kindness. So I followed him back to his apartment. He lent me some of his clothes while my own dried. He saw how hungry I was and cooked for me.”

I was listening intently to her story and watching how she told it. The look in her eyes, the way she talks. You can tell she really loves this guy. “Well, long story short, he took care of me until I had the courage to go back home. We’ve been dating since. Secretly of course. If my father knew I was dating some low class guy, he’ll have my head.” She giggled after that last sentence.

“Does he know,” I started to ask. “Who you are. That you’re rich and stuff?”

She nodded. “But he doesn’t love me for my money. He doesn’t love me for my background. He loves me for me. He’s the only person that understands me.”

I thought about what she said. “I kinda know how you feel. There’s this girl, she’s been my friend since first grade. And just like with Daehyun, she understands me. There’s a lot of people who would befriend me for my money and background. They would use me. At least it doesn’t happen anymore, but I really didn’t have a fun childhood with everyone stabbing me behind my back. The only one who stayed by my side and was friends with me for me, was her.” I was finished telling my story and when I looked at Ha Neul she was resting her cheek on her hand and smiling at me. “What are you smiling at?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know. But it seems that you really like this girl. Is she you’re girlfriend?”

I was taken back by her sudden question. “What? No! We’re just friends. Just… friends.”

“You don’t look happy that you’re ‘just friends’.”

“No! I’m happy that we’re friends! But lately…” I took in a deep breath and sighed. “I don’t know. We see each other everyday. And on the weekends if we have time. We talk to each other on the phone, or chatting online. We’ve been doing that since we were small. We did almost everything together. We’re like siblings. But…”

“But?” Ha Neul repeated.

“Lately, whenever I see her, my heart starts beating faster. Just seeing her makes me happy. When I’m in a bad mood, just one smile from her could make my entire day. Every night, I’m sit in front of my phone, waiting for her to call. I wait on the computer until I see that she’s online. She’s the last thing I think of before I go to sleep, and the first thing I think of when I wake up. I think about her all the time.”

“Junghwan,” Ha Neul said. I snapped back to reality.

“You can all me Sandeul if you want. Only my parents call me Junghwan.”

“Fine. Sandeul.”

“Yeah?”

“You are in love,” she said, pronouncing every word clearly. Like she’s trying to get her point across. But I was confused. “What?”

Ha Neul rolled her eyes. “Oh boy what’s wrong with him,” she muttered under her breath. “Don’t you know what love is? Have you ever been in love before?” I shook my head. “Have you ever had a girlfriend before?” I shook my head. “Have you ever had a crush on someone before?” Again I shook my head.

Ha Neul giggled. “You’re so innocent.” She took a sip of her water. “Since you’re totally clueless, I’ll help you. You. Love. Her. That friend of yours. It’s pretty obvious.”

“It is?” I began to blush.

Ha Neul nodded. “Does she like you back?”

I thought about her question and shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe she just sees me as a friend.”

Ha Neul looked disappointed. “Oh. That’s sad.” 

A man came to us and greeted us both He then turned to Ha Neul. “Miss. It’s time to go. You have a party to attend to.” He said.

Ha Neul groaned. “Don’t I always?” She rolled her eyes and took out a small card. She handed it to me and I took it. “It’s my number and e-mail address. If you have any problems concerning your ‘friend’ just talk to me. I’ll give you some advice.” She smiled and stood up.

I stood up as well and bowed. “Kamsahamnida.” We said our goodbyes and as Ha Neul was leaving, I overheard her conversation with her bodyguard. 

“You seem to be in a good mood. Usually when you go to these meetings you’re grumpy. You even gave him your number. You must have liked the boy.”

Ha Neul shook her head. “No. But he is much better than the other guys I have met.”



I could have updated sooner if I didn't have writers block. -____-  Chapter has a lame title, I know.