Beautiful Target

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Jinyoung's POV*

Class went on as usual. Moon seonsaengnim gave us a lecture on Korean history and the remaining time was for us to converse with the students from Soomin High. I didn't even have to stand up or move. Zico and Jaehyo were already by my side. 

I eyed them both. "May I help you?" I asked as I put away my notebook in my bag.

Zico shrugged his shoulders. "We're bored and we don't know anyone else from this school but you."

I turned to look at Jaehyo, expecting to say some smart remark, but he was looking elsewhere. I followed his line of vision to Soyoung who was sitting quietly at her desk. I shot a look back to him but he wasn't paying any attention to me. I leaned back to block his view but it didn't work. He shifted his body to the left and continued staring.

"Ya! What are you doing?" I asked. Jaehyo snapped back to reality and looked at me like he just remembered I was there.

"Huh?"

"Who are you staring at?" I asked.

"No one is particular," he responded. 

I rolled my eyes. "Oh really now?"

At that moment Jaehyo got up. "Excuse me while I make some new friends," he said with a smirk. 

"Ya--" I was about to get up but Zico held me down. "Let me go! He might scare her off or something!" 

"No," Zico said with a grin. "It's fun seeing you like this."

"You're really asking to die huh?" I pushed his hand away and got up. 

"Wait!"

I turned around, annoyed. "What is it?"

Zico was quiet for awhile then responded. "I think you should go and stop him. He likes pure girls. Only because he can 'unpurify them'." Zico made finger quotes at the word "unpurify". It took me awhile to understand what he meant. 

"He really is going to die in a hole today," I muttered as I stomped towards them. 

Jaehyo was sitting next to Soyoung, trying to make a conversation. I pulled Jaehyo away and slung my arm over his shoulder. "Hey buddy," I said with a smile on my face.

"Hello," he responded and smiled back. "You're going to kill me aren't you?" He asked with in the most happiest tone.

I smiled even bigger. "Well aren't you a smart boy?"

He smiled but it eventually faded. His expression became more serious. "You must really like her huh?" My smiled faded as well. I turned away and looked at Soyoung. "Don't deny it. I know you do." 

I walked away from Jaehyo and returned to my seat. Zico had already left and was talking with some people in the back of the room. Jaehyo sat besides me. "Is there something wrong?" 

I sighed and rested my cheek on my hand. "I guess I'm just scared to trust someone with my feelings again." 

"Well, not everyone is like Hyorin. You never know, maybe she's different. But you can't deny the fact that you like her."

I thought about what he said. He is right, but the fear of being cheated on and lied to again haunts me. I looked over to Soyoung. She saw me and gave me a small smile and wave. I smiled back and looked at Jaehyo who had a sly smirk and was raising his eyebrows. 

I mouthed "shut up" to him and faced the chalk board. I stared into space as my mind wandered off. Memories of me and Soyoung together clouded my other thoughts. I rested my cheeks on my hands, covering my red cheeks. Aish... Jung Jinyoung? Why can't you be sure of your own feelings? "Ahhh!" I messed up my hair and put my head down. 

"What's wrong with him?" I heard Zico say.

"Our little duckling has heard his calling," Jaehyo replied. 

"Wait. What?"

*Soyoung's POV*

Second period zoomed by quickly and the bell finally rang for lunch. I remembered how Jinyoung said we would hang out during lunch but he seemed busy with his other friends. I couldn't help but feel disappointed. I'll just go hang out with Hyuna then... I got up and headed out the door when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Jinyoung behind me.

"Didn't you promise we were going to hang out during lunch?" He asked.

So he did remember. I put on a poker face to hide my happiness. "Oh yeah. I guess I forgot," I smiled and laughed a little.

He gave a soft sweet smile and I felt my heart ship a beat. 

"Let's go eat outside. It's a shame to waste such a nice day," said Jinyoung. He grabbed my hand and pulled me along.

*Jinyoung's POV*

I took her hand and we walked to that little store in the cafeteria where you can buy sandwiches and snacks. I bought a few things and even though Soyoung protested, I payed for everything. 

"Are you sure?" She asked. "I could pay for my share."

I shook my head. "No. I want to pay for everything."

Soyoung pouted. "Well okae..."

*No One's POV*

"The cafeteria is clean," Baro commented as he examined the vast room. 

"Can we eat? I'm starving," Hyorin whined. 

The group of friends looked for the line to grab your lunch plate.

"There it is!" Baro exclaimed as he walked towards a long line of mixed students. He casually looked around and stopped in his tracks when he spotted Jinyoung.

"Why are you stopping?" One guy asked.

Hyorin didn't need an explanation. She followed Baro's line of vision to her ex. She felt as if her heart twisted at the sight seeing him with another girl. But she shouldn't feel this way. They were already over. 

"She looks familiar..." Baro muttered.

"What did you say?" Hyorin asked.

"That girl with Jinyoung. I think I've seen her before somewhere."

*Jinyoung's POV*

Still holding her hand, we walked outside the crowded school building to the fresh air of the outside world. More people were out there than usual, but it wasn't as crowded. I led her to a place where I always wanted to try having lunch. On the other side of the school, there were a few trees scattered around, and around those trees was a wooden bench. We walked over to one of the smaller ones and I set our food down. I sat down but when I looked up, Soyoung was still standing.

"Why aren't you sitting?" I asked.

She avoided my eye sight. "Uhmm... Uh.. You can let go of my hand now."

She was right. I was still holding her hand. I let go even though I didn't want to. "Sorry."

Soyoung didn't say anything and quietly sat down. It was quiet as we ate our sandwiches. Why can't I say anything? I gulped down the last bite of my sandwich and grabbed a bottle of banana milk. I drank it while looking at the sky. Once in awhile, I would open my mouth to say something, but I decided against it and closed my mouth. I looked over at Soyoung who already finished her sandwich and was drinking her bottle of banana milk. I stared at her as she drank her bottle and watched the still, uninteresting sky. 

A smile formed on my face and I shook my head. It's better to admit it Jinyoung. You'll feel better that way. I looked back at Soyoung who was just plain oblivious.Song Soyoung... I think I like you.

*No One's POV*

Baro snapped his fingers. "Now I know why she looked familiar!"

"What is it?" Hyorin asked.

"Remember that car accident three years ago? Some drunk guy was driving 20 miles over the speed limit and he crashed into another car? A family was in that car. The parents died instantly, but by some miracle, the girl survived." He pointed at Soyoung who was sitting on the bench. "That's her. I heard that she lives alone now."

Hyorin looked at Soyoung then at Jinyoung. Jealousy started to boil inside her. She despised the way he looked at her. She took a small step forward. Then another. And another. The next thing she knew, she was walking towards them.

Baro noticed and called for her to comeback. "Hyorin! Wait, come back! I don't think it's a good idea for you to go there!"

Hyorin didn't listen, she kept walking. Baro scratched his head. "This can't end well."

*Jinyoung's POV*

Why did it feel so awkward? It was never usually this awkward. I placed a hand to where my heart is. Why my heart beating so fast? I side glanced at Soyoung who was still drinking her banana milk. Eotteokhe? I bit my lip. I slid a little closer to Soyoung. Why is this so hard for me? I messed up my hair in frustration. My hair must look like I escaped a jungle with me messing it up and all. I bit my lip again and moved a little closer. I leaned forward a little and opened my mouth to say something when the worse case possible could happen. 

"Jinyoung."

It was like my heart dropped. Why? Why did she have to come here and ruined things? 

I hesitantly looked up and saw Hyorin standing in front of us. She was smiling, but I learned that that smile was a cover for her real feelings. I shot her a look but she just smiled. I don't know why, but I felt like she might do something to Soyoung so I stepped in front of her. 

"Yes," I said, trying to sound as calm as possible. 

"Is it alright if I talk to you for awhile?" She asked.

I have nothing to say to you."

She pouted and tried to act cute. How annoying. "Please? It will only be a few minutes."

"No," I said as straight forward as possible. I wanted to get my point across as much as possible. I was going to turn around but Hyorin grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

"Ya! Let me go!"

She turned around and her sweet look was gone. "Listen. It will only take a few minutes." 

I sighed. There's no use talking to her. "Fine." I turned to Soyoung who looked lost. "Just wait here. I'll be back soon."

Her expression looked uneasy but she said okae. I turned back to Hyorin and didn't show any mercy in my expression. 

"Good boy," she smiled and led me away. 

*Soyoung's POV*

I watched as Jinyoung walked away with that girl. Who is she? Why does she want to talk to Jinyoung? That invisible wall was back again. I set my empty bottle down and put my head down. I don't think Jinyoung would ever tell me about his past. I would ask, but it feels like I'm snooping around. I let out a great big sigh and looked up to see some guy standing in front of me. 

He looked a bit awkward standing there. His uniform stated he was from Soomin High and he wore a baseball cap. He smiled a bit and raised his hand in an attempt to wave at me. "Hello," he said.

"Hello..." I replied. 

"Can I sit there?" He asked, pointing to the spot where Jinyoung was sitting earlier.

"Uhmm... I guess."

"Thanks." The weird boy sat down next to me and it felt even more awkward.

"My name's Sunwoo, but you can call me Baro," he introduced himself and held out a hand. Hesitantly, I took it and we both shook hands.

"My name is Soyoung," I said and let go.

We sat there for awhile, not saying anything. What does this guy want?

"Listen," Baro spoke but he didn't look at me. He was looking at the ground. He had a small smile, but his eyes spoke differently. "You're pretty close with Jinyoung right?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah..."

"How is he? Does he seem happy? Does he get along well with the people here?" He continued asking. 

I took awhile to think about it. "As far as I know, he seems happy. He's very friendly and get's along well with everyone. Why do you want to know?" 

Baro's smile became bigger but disappeared quickly. "That's good to hear." 

I didn't say anything and nodded my head. He must know Jinyoung... So many thoughts and questions clouded my mind and it won't leave. I had to know what's happening with Jinyoung. 

"Did Jinyoung used to go to your school? Before he transferred here?" I asked suddenly. 

Baro looked at me, but he didn't look surprised. He must have been expecting this question. The corners of his mouth curled up. "Yeah. Jinyoung and I are best friends actually. Well, maybe it's ex best friends now." 

"Why is that?" I asked curiously. 

Baro looked at the ground again, as if to gather his thoughts first. "Well, I think that's something you need to ask Jinyoung. But I guess you can say he felt betrayed."

Betrayed?

Baro continued talking, "I mean, how would you feel if your closest friends in the world betrayed you and used you once they find out a little secret about you? Especially if they're greedy bastards." He sighed and shook his head. "He must hate us now. I don't blame him. I hate myself too."

I didn't understand what he was saying, but I felt bad. "Don't say that. What you did couldn't be that bad." 

"Yes. Yes it was bad," Baro retorted. He shook his head and stood up. He put his hands in his pocket and gazed at the sky. "I hope that someday we can just look back on that moment and laugh it off." He turned to me and smiled. "If anything, please take very good care of Jinyoung. It was nice meeting you Soyoung." Again he held out his hand for me to shake it. 

"Ahh, okae..." I said and Baro walked away. He turned around again and said, "And tell Jinyoung I said I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry." His eyes were a little sad, but he was smiling. "I don't care what kind of response he gives. Whether he throws my apology away or accepts it, I just want him to know I'm sorry." Once he was finished, he walked backed inside.

I covered my face in my hands. "This just makes me even more curious!" I wondered what happened in Jinyoung's past. I sighed and thought about what Baro said. "I guess I really do have to ask him." 

*Jinyoung's POV*

Hyorin kept pulling my arm until we were out of sight. "Can you loosen your grip? I'll follow you if you just ask nicely." 

She let go of my arm and faced me abruptly. It was obvious she was angry, but what for? 

"Why are you with that girl?" She spat.

"And why are you so concerned? We broke up already," I said blankly.

"Well -- You --" She stumbled over her words.

"What? I don't have a right to? Uh, yeah I do have the right to go meet other girls," I responded. "I'm pretty sure when you break up with someone, you forget them and move on." I paused and looked at her. " I have already moved on."

It was like I shot her because she couldn't have looked more hurt. She tried to hold back her tears, but it wasn't working out. "What if I said I haven't moved on?"

Her words caught me off guard. It repeated in my mind many times over. No Jinyoung. Don't listen to her lies again. I shook my head to shake the thoughts out of my mind. "If you still have feelings for me up until now, then why did you even cheat on me in the first place?"

Another shot. "I made a mistake!" 

"Was it really?" 

She was quiet. Trying to hold back her tears. 

"We already went over this. I don't want to have this conversation again," I said and turned around to walk away, but I felt arms wrap around me. I stopped in my tracks and felt Hyorin rested her head on my back. 

"Please don't go," she whispered. "I still love you."

I bit my lip. "I'm sorry," I said and released her arms. I walked away and she didn't follow. I walked back to the place where Soyoung and I were having our lunch and she was still sitting there. She sood up once I approached her.

"Ahh! Jinyoung how are you feeling?" she asked. 

I didn't respond which made her worried.

"Are you okae?" She asked again. 

I didn't say anything as I pulled her closer to me and hugged her. "Please don't hurt me," I whispered so softly I wasn't even sure if she heard me. 


Nya~~ -__- I felt like this chapter was so lame and cheesy. I'm sorry if it is! >.< I have no experience in love whatsoever. All of this comes from dramas and mangas OTL I'm not good at writing love stories. 

Please~~ comment!! Please? I really want to know what you guys are thinking so far! ;~; It would really help if I hear your opinions~ 

I already thought of something for chapter 23 so I might update sometime this week~