Can We Be Friends Again?

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Sandeul's POV*

I laid in my bed, staring at the white plain ceiling. My cellphone was in my hand and I let out a great big sigh.

I need to talk to her. I need to talk to Miyeon. But she won't even listen to me! She won't look at me. She won't answer my calls or reply to my texts! If she wants an explanation, I'll give her one! But how can I explain if she won't listen to me?

I grabbed one of my pillows and buried my face in it. "I hate my life," I muttered. At that moment, an idea came to me. I sat up and dialed his number. I raised the phone to my ear as I waited for him to answer.

Come on... Answer...

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Yejun!"

"Oh. It's you. What do you want?"

My jaw dropped. "What do you mean by that? Usually you're happy to hear from me!"

"Well," Yejun began, "you and noona are in a fight. Apparently you lied to her. And you know how much she hates liars. Hurry and tell me what you want or I'm hanging up."

"Wait! I need to talk to Miyeon! It's important!"

"Then why don't you call her?"

I pulled at my own hair. "If only it was that simple! She won't answer my calls!"

Yejun was quiet for awhile. "So what do you want me to do?"

"Give the phone to her. Say that it's your appa calling or something," I quickly made up.

"If appa wanted to call, he would have called the house phone," Yejun said.

I was losing my patience. "Never mind! Just give her the phone. Jebal," I said, trying to keep my voice stable.

There was a short silence."Okae," Yejun finally said.

I sighed. "Gamsahabnida. Jeongmal gamsahabnida."

I heard the sound of a door opening. If Yejun was in his room, then Miyeon's room is a few doors down. I've been to their house so many times that I have the layout memorized.

"Hyung," said Yejun.

"Yes?"

"I hope you and noona can make up and be friends again. I hate seeing noona like this and I hate not seeing you two together."

A smiled formed on my face. "Arasseo. I will."

Yejun didn't reply but I heard a faint knocking and a door opening.

"Yes?" A voice said. My heart started to beat faster. It was Miyeon.

"Appa wants to talk to you." I heard Yejun say.

There was a short silence and I was caught off guard by what Miyeon said. 

"Yejun! Where are you going? Why are you running?"

"I need to pee!" I heard him yell. I tried to hold back my laughter.

*Miyeon's POV*

"I need to pee!" Yejun yelled and ran straight for the bathroom.

I watched him run down the hallway. "Such a weird kid," I giggled and shook my head. "Yeoboseyo? Appa?"

There was silence. "Yeoboseyo? Appa, are you okae?"

"Miyeon!" 

I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at the caller ID. On the big screen it read: Sandeul hyung~. 

Tch. Now he's using my brother? I put the phone back to my ear. "Yah. What are you doing now? Using my little brother and--"

"LISTEN!" Sandeul interrupted. Well this was rare. He never blows up like this. "Ineed to talk to you! You said you wanted me to explain, well fine! I'll explain! But how can I explain if you keep avoiding me?" 

I lowered the phone a little and stared at the carpeted floor. I closed my bedroom door behind me and sat at my desk. "Okae, fine. I'll listen."

"No. We need to talk in person."

It surprised me to see Sandeul talk like this. He wasn't usually this serious unless it meant business. I guess he really wants to talk. 

"Okae. Where do you want to meet?" I asked.

"The park near your neighborhood," he replied.

"Okae then. I'll be there soon." I said and hung up in the midst of Sandeul's "Bye".

I grabbed my jacket and walked out my room. When I came down the stairs I saw Yejun watching TV. "How was your trip to the bathroom?" I asked.

"It was... fun," he replied, avoiding my eye sight. 

I leaned on the couch and smiled. "I know you ran away just in case I might strangle you for lying to me about appa calling." 

He grabbed a pillow and used it as a shield. "Please don't kill me noona! I still haven't lived yet!"

I laughed and opened the front door. "Don't worry~ I won't kill you!" I closed the door behind me but I could hear Yejun yelling "Lies!" from the living room. I walked down the drive way and crossed the street. The park is only a few blocks down so most likely I would be there before Sandeul.

Maybe I should take my time getting there. I looked up at the sky. The sun was already setting and the faint blue was mixing in with orange. I looked at the clouds and imagined some of them as animals. As I was having fun doing so, I saw a bunny form in one of the clouds. The small smile disappeared and I sighed. 

*Sandeul's POV*

She hung up before I could say bye... I hung up and slid the phone back into my pocket. I stood up and paced back and forth for awhile. How am I going to escape this house without any of the housekeepers finding out? I opened my door to peak outside a bit. From my knowledge, there were two housekeepers here at the moment. One was cleaning the bathroom and the other was in the kitchen cooking dinner. I tried to calculate an escape plan. 

The bathroom is down the hall. Too risky. The kitchen is downstairs near the front door. Again, too risky. I messed up my hair in frustration. How am I going to meet Miyeon if I can't find a way out? 

I noticed that the lighting in my room started to change. The room got darker with an orange hue to it. I looked at the door that led to the balcony. I walked over to it and leaned on the glass door. I studied the outside surroundings for awhile. Soon enough, I was able to come up with a plan. 

"I could get injured in the process of escaping," I said to myself. I opened the door as quietly as possible and closed it behind me. I felt the cool breeze on my face and looked down. I could break an arm or a leg.

I shook off the fear. Sandeul. You have to go and meet Miyeon. If you don't show up, she's going to hate you even more. It's now or never. 

I swung one leg over the railing and then the other. I sat on the railing for awhile, staring at the ground. My whole body was shaking and I was scared that I would fall off. I took in a deep breath and let it all out. 

And then I jumped. 

*Miyeon's POV*

As I was walking, so many thoughts raced through my mind. It's great that Sandeul was willing to explain and I hope everything was just a misunderstanding, but at the same time I'm a bit worried. I sighed then puffed my cheeks. Eotteokhe? I found myself at the park already. Where should I wait for him? Probably somewhere near the entrance so that he can... My thought trailed off as I saw Sandeul on the swing set, kicking gravel around. Sweat covered his face and I could see some dirt stains on his pants. Did... Did he run all the way to get here before me?

Why do I feel so nervous right now? I took in a deep breath and let it out. I slowly walked up to him. He didn't raise his head as I occupied the empty swing next to him. 

"Annyeong," he said softly. 

"Annyeong," I replied back. 

We sat there in silence for awhile. Sandeul was still looking down at the white gravel, kicking it around. I watched as the children played on the jungle gym. I saw a little boy at the corner crying. A small girl ran up to him and asked him what's wrong. He didn't say anything as he pointed to a scratch on his elbow. The girl gasped and ran away. A minute later, she brought back an adult and the adult sprayed the boy's elbow with disinfectant spray and put a band aid over it. The boy stopped crying but tears were still falling down. The girl then hugged him, catching the boy off guard. A tint of pink covered his cheeks, but he stopped crying. 

Watching that scene, it made me smile. It also pulled at my heart. Sometime similar happened to me and Sandeul when we were just kids. We were playing on the seesaw and Sandeul fell down and scraped his knee. He tried to hold back his tears, but I told him it's okae to cry. As I covered up his slightly bloody knee with a band aid, he cried so loud until my parents came over to ask us whats wrong. I told them it was okae. I already took care of it. However, Sandeul was still crying. I hugged him by the neck and eventually he quieted down. 

"I'm sorry."

I looked back at Sandeul who was still staring at the ground. 

"I'm sorry I lied to you. The thing is, I just had to," he said. 

"Well explain to me why you had to lie," I said. "Isn't that why you brought me here in the first place?" 

He sighed and shook his head. "I must be really stupid."

"You are," I muttered.

*Sandeul's POV*

I thought I could protect her by not saying anything, but I just made things worse. I let out a great big sigh and kicked a rock. I watched as it skidded towards the grass. "My mom's gone," I said. It wasn't the first thing I planned to say, but it just slipped out of my mouth. 

"What?" Miyeon ask. 

I lifted my head up, but I still didn't look at her. "My mom's gone," I repeated. "I got into a fight with my father and as punishment, he sent her away somewhere." I buried my face in my hands. "I don't even know where she is! My father is a cruel dictator." 

Miyeon didn't say anything. Usually this means she's just going to sit there and listen as I cry out my problems. So I did. 

I told her everything. How I got into that fight with my father. How my parents fought and that my father sent my mom away. How he said I can't be friends with Miyeon anymore. The arrange marriage meetings. Everything.

Surprisingly, I didn't break down crying. I was just staring in the distance. It was like all my tears had dried out.

Miyeon wasn't responding so I thought she had left. When I turned to look at her, there were tears in her eyes.

"Why are you crying?" I asked.

She picked up a small gravel and threw it at me. I turned my face, but not fast enough. It hit my cheek and I felt a small sting of pain.

"Babo!" She cried. When I looked at her, she was already standing. Her hand holding the chain of the swing. "Why didn't you tell me?" She yelled. "If you had just told me, I would have understand! Why didn't you? Instead, you lied to me. I thought we could tell everything to each other."

"I'm sorry." It was all I could say. I must really be an idiot. At that moment, I felt myself falling from the swing and landed on the ground. "Did you just push me?"

"Yes!" She said. "You deserved it. Actually, you deserve a punch in the face!" She raised her fist and I closed my eyes.

She was right. I do deserve it. I should accept my punishment. I waited for her to punch me, but something else happened. I felt arms wrap around my neck. When I opened my eyes, Miyeon was kneeling next to me and hugging me. I heard soft sobbing.

I patted her head. "Why are you crying?"

"I thought I had lost my best friend," she said in between sobs.

"I'm sorry. I thought I could protect you this way," I said as I hugged her back.

"You're stupid," she said.

"I know. I don't need to be told twice."

***

We walked together back to Miyeon's house.

"Are you sure you should be out this late?" Miyeon asks me.

I shook my head. "It's okae. I don't have anything urgent to do today." I looked away and rubbed my arm. It still hurts from when I fell.

"I think Yejun is going to be happy that we've made up," Miyeon said with a smile.

"Wae?"

"He keeps asking, 'Noona, are you and Sandeul hyung still fighting?' 'Noona, when will you talk to Sandeul hyung again?' 'Noona, can Sandeul hyung still join our family even if you're fighting?' and the list just goes on and on."

We laughed at Yejun's childishness. 

"Well, if your parents are okae with it, then I don't mind at all. Joining your family that is."

Miyeon smiled. "They love you. They would even give you a bigger share of food than me when you come over to eat for dinner."

We laughed as we continued to share memories. We've been fighting for only a few days, but it felt like months. I missed hearing her laugh and seeing her smile. 

"You like her." 

I looked at Miyeon as I remembered Ha Neul's words from our first meeting. I never experienced things like "like" or "love". I would just see that kind of stuff in dramas and comics, but I never really experienced it myself. Is this what it feels like to be in love? 

Miyeon stopped walking and I wondered why. When I snapped back to reality, I realized we were at her house.

"Well that was a fast walk," I said to myself. I turned to Miyeon and smiled. "I'll say goodbye here then?"

Miyeon shook her head and pouted. "No. Stay for dinner."

"I wish I could, but I don't think I can stay out this late," I said while looking at her house in disappointment. It's tempting to go in that house. When I'm in there, I feel loved. When I come over for dinner, their whole family gets together at the table and eat. They share stories of how their day went, what made them happy, what made them pissed off. They laughed together. I's so warm and inviting here. Very different from my household. I would be lying if I said I hadn't imagine my family doing that. It seemed nice at first, but I realized it could never happened and the cloud of imagination evaporates.  

I saw a hand waving right in front of my eyes. I looked at Miyeon who had a worried expression on her face. "What's wrong?" She asks.

I shook my head, "I'm fine. I'm just wondering if I should pay Yejun a visit."

"It's okae," Miyeon said. "It's getting dark anyways. I'll tell Yejun that we made up."

I smiled and Miyeon smiled in return. 

"I'll be going now then. Bye bye~" I said and waved goodbye. 

"Bye bye~," Miyeon smiled and waved. 

I smiled once more before turning around and running back home. Once I was close enough, I hid behind the bushes outside the gates. I stared longingly at the balcony outside my room. How can I get back up there? I took notice to the picket fence and vines growing on the side. I shrugged my shoulders. It's worth a shot.

In secret spy-ninja mode, I dashed inside the grounds of my mansion and maneuvered past the lawn squirrels. I jumped and tumbled until I was right below my balcony. I walked over to the vine picket fence and placed a hand on it. I gripped it tightly and put one foot on it. I must be crazy. This is a suicide mission. I glanced at the front door. But going through the front door is a suicide mission as well. I decided to take my chances. I put my other hand on it and placed my left foot just above my right foot. I kept alternating and I advanced upwards. Once I was next to my balcony, I grabbed onto the ledge and pulled my feet off the fence.

I pulled myself up and I landed safely on the balcony. I tip-toed towards the door and opened it as quietly as possible. My room was pitch black since I didn't turn on the lights before I left. I crossed the room to the other side where the door was. I felt for the light switch and flipped it on. The room drowned in light and everything that was hiding in the dark was revealed.

Including my father sitting on a chair of my study desk. 


I'm sorry I haven't updated in awhile >.< I procrastinated too much and homework, tests, and projects are piling up. I got a little lazy with writing this chapter. I hope it's not too noticable. I hope this chapter is good enough. Please~ Comment~! I need to know you're opinions. >.< Just saying that's it's good or not is fine with me. 

Ahh~ That picture of Sandeul is so cute~ :3 There can never be a serious picture of that bunny. -__-

Ignore any spelling or grammar errors.