When Reality Hits You in the Face

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Ai's POV*

It was a nice lunch, eating with Miyeon and Yejun. You would think that children of celebrities would be stuck up and think they're better than everyone else because their parents are famous, but these two were really nice and down to earth. Miyeon is a sweet girl and really nice. Although she didn't seem to be in a happy mood. I asked her what's wrong, but she didn't want to tell me. Yejun is really funny and cute. Ji Eun kept feeding him like a dog. Miyeon scolded him, but he gave her the puppy-dog look and she gave in. It was fun hanging out with them.

The bell rang and we all went back to our classes. Since Miyeon is a Senior like us, she walked with us while we dropped Yejun off on the second floor. We said our goodbyes and I took a seat and sighed.

"Even though we shared our food, we sure ate a lot," I said.

Ji Eun plopped down on her seat and sighed as well. "I know. But it was fun hanging out with them! They're really fun and nice people!" She said with a big smile. "Yejun is really cute too!"

I gave her a look. "Ya, you're not going to start liking him now are you?"

She looked at me like I'm crazy. "You know I don't date younger guys!" She looked up. "He's cute and adorable. Like a puppy!"

I laughed and shook my head.

The teacher came in at the moment. "Everyone take your seats. Class is starting." 

I saw Wooyoung came in, and it was a bit unexpected, but he looked at me. Once our eyes met, he smiled and waved a little. And I smiled back. Once Wooyoung got to his seat, Ji Eun turned around and had a smirk on her face and gave me a look that says "Ohh~ He smiled at you~" I nudged her and she just laughed. Class started and the teacher started giving us a lecture on Newton's three laws of motion.

I was sitting at my desk, taking down notes, and listening intently. It wasn't even 10 minutes since class started and someone called for me.

I looked up and saw Yuh seonsaengnim standing at the door. He was giving a stern look to me. I bit my lips, nervous. I got up slowly and excused myself from the class. I followed Yuh seonsaengnim to the principal's office and was greeted by Chihoon and Eun Mi. 

Eun Mi gave me an awkward smile while Chihoon just stared at the floor like it was more interesting that me.

I took a seat on the empty chair between them. Yuh seonsaengnim closed the door and my heart started to beat faster. I felt my palms get a little sweaty. I looked at Eun Mi and she just stared straight ahead, not aware of what they're in for. I turned to Chihoon who was still interested in the floor. I haven't told them that Yuh seonsaengnim knew.

Yuh seonsaengnim walked behind the oak desk that was in front of us. He stood behind the chair and looked at us, keeping his eye on me the longest. I heard the door open and when I turned around I saw the principal walked in. We all greeted him and he took his place at his desk. He cleared his throat and looked at us.

"Uhm," he started. "Well, since most of you already know, I guess there's no reason to hide it." He fixed his glasses. He started tapping his fingers on the wood nervously. "We all know about the illegal funds being 'donated' to our school right?"

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I heard a small gasp escape Eun Mi's mouth and Chihoon started, but he was still staring at the floor.

"Well it seems like Yuh seonsaengnim has found out," he continued. "But that is not something we should worry about."

Yuh seonsaengnim scoffed. "Nothing you should worry about? Illegal money is being given to our school to support it! What will happen if you're caught? The people 'donating' will be in trouble and so will we. We won't just lose our reputation of being one of the top schools, the school could shut down entirely!"

"Okae now you're just overreacting," the principal said. 

Yuh seonsaengnim slammed his hands on the desk, making all of us, including the principal, jump. "I am not overreacting," he said through his gritted teeth. He removed his hands from the table and walked towards the door. "We need to stop this before it gets any worse."

"We are going to stop this," the principal said. "But as of now, the school hasn't recovered fully. We're still losing money."

"So you think you can make up those lost money from obtaining money from other people?" 

"In a way it's not entirely illegal," the principal insisted.

"Oh, it is very illegal," Yuh seonsaengnim snapped. "If you wanted people to donate money, have a fundraiser of some sort. But no, you talked into top businesses into giving you money. And was there a contract signed for it? No."

"Jaegyu said it was fine," I interrupted. "And the other companies didn't seem to mind either."

Even though he was behind me, I could feel his stare. "Obviously Jaegyu wanted to end this since he gave me the list with all your donors. By the way, Ai, where is that list I gave you?"

I saw the principal shot me a look and Eun Mi had an uneasy look on her face. "I... lost it. It must have fallen somewhere."

The principal covered his eyes and shook his head. "If anyone were to find that..."

"It's okae. I made a copy for myself," Yuh seonsaengnim said. "Plus the list didn't say much. Just the people who were donating and the students reaping the benefits and how much they donated."

The room fell silent. Eun Mi was fiddling with her hands, like she always does when she gets nervous. My eyes darted across the room, trying to avoid the principal's eyes. And Chihoon was so still, I almost thought that he was asleep. 

"I want to have a meeting with all the staff of the school who's aware of this and the donors. We need to have a talk to end this. I don't want trouble coming to the school or those businesses." And with that Yuh seonsaengnim left.

The room fell silent again. I was about to speak up but the principal beat me to it. 

"Leave. Please. I'll talk to you later." He shooed us away and the three of us stood awkwardly outside his office.

"What do you think is going to happen to us now?" Eun Mi asked.

I slowly shook my head. "I don't know. But Yuh seonsaengnim is right. We should stop this before it gets any worse."

Eun Mi gave me a worried look. "But what will happen to the school? We're still losing money, and what will happen to us? And the others? The only reason we were chosen for the student council was because--"

"Sshh," Chihoon interrupted. "That's not something we should talk about in the open. We'll have a meeting after school." He didn't look at us and just left. 

"I should go too," I said and left Eun Mi behind. When I got back to class, the lesson was over and the students were doing work in the workbook. I took my seat behind Ji Eun and opened my workbook.

Ji Eun turned to me and asked, "What happened? Why were you called?"

I told her to turn away and hesitantly, she did. I wrote down on a piece of paper:Yuh seonsaengnim has found about the illegal funds being donated to the school.

I passed the paper to her, making sure our teacher wasn't looking. After a few minutes Ji Eun passed it back to me.

What?!?! What did he say? Are you in trouble? What's going to happen?

I wrote my reply and passed it back to her. He said that we should stop before it gets any worse. He wants to have a meeting with the people involved. But even if we do stop, the school is still losing money. I tossed the paper to her desk. She quickly wrote a reply:

We'll talk after class. 

I sighed. Could things get any worse?

Class ended and Ji Eun pulled me behind a flight of stairs. She faced me and she had a serious and worried look on her face. "The school is still losing money? Then we can't stop!"

"But it can get worse! What if we're found out. Nothing will happen to the students, but it will affect the school and all those other businesses. Those are some of the top businesses in South Korea, it will have a major blow on the economy." I argued. "Plus, those donors can possibly go to jail."

Ji Eun gasped. "My appa might go to jail?"

I nodded. "Luckily my family isn't involved with donating, but they do work for Jaegyu's father."

"But they left the country."

"He put someone new in charge of the hotel. And my family still works there. If we're found out, the hotel can go down and my parents will lose their job."

Ji Eun started pacing back and forth. "I know this sounds very selfish, but what's going to happen to you? To us?" She started to lower her voice. "The only reason why you guys were chosen as the Student Council was because you were the top donors. And what about everyone in our class? Or at least most of them. The reason why they were able to get into Class 3A, the highest ranking class of the Senior grade, was because they helped with those donations." 

I scoffed. "Now that I think of it, the Student Council, sport captains, and any other student higher ups, were chosen for those spots because they donated those illegal funds. Not because they had any special talent or skill." I looked around nervously. "We shouldn't talk at a place like this. I'm having a meeting with Eun Mi and Chihoon later after school. I'll call you later tonight."

She nodded her head nervously. "Okae. But still, do we really have to stop?"

I walked behind her. "I don't know..."

*Wooyoung's POV*

My mom told me that it was bad to listen on other people's conversations. If I caught myself listening to others, I would walk away, or sing a song in my head. But right now, I couldn't walk away. No song came to my mind. I couldn't avert my ears from their conversation.

"Now that I think of it, the Student Council, sport captains, and any other student higher ups, were chosen for those spots because they donated those illegal funds. Not because they had any special talent or skill. We shouldn't talk at a place like this. I'm having a meeting with Eun Mi and Chihoon later after school. I'll call you later tonight," Ai whispered.

"Okae. But still, do we really have to stop?" Ji Eun answered. 

There was a silence before Ai replied. "I don't know..."

I walked backwards so that they wouldn't see me. I leaned on the wall and replayed their conversation in my head. 

"The only reason why you guys were chosen as the Student Council was because you were the top donors."

So she didn't get chosen for Vice President because of her skills, but because she donated illegal money?

"And what about everyone in our class? Or at least most of them. The reason why they were able to get into Class A, the highest ranking class of the Senior grade, was because they helped with those donations." 

I was in Class 3A. The same class with them. Ever since the start of the year. I didn't donate any money. I got into that class because I was ranked in the top ten of the entire school last year. Does this mean that Ai and Ji Eun got into that class because they donated money? Not because of their grades? What about my friends in that class? I did wonder why Chansung was in our class when he barely made it in the top 40. He said he did work over summer but... 

I was starting to get really confused. I wanted answers. Now. I walked back upstairs to my classroom. I stomped inside and glared at my friends who were hanging out in the corner. I walked up to them while they were laughing. Once they noticed my presence, they stopped.

"Oh Wooyoung. I thought you were going to practice up on the roof?" Chansung said.

I gave him a serious look. "What are these illegal funds I'm hearing about?"

Chansung's smile dropped. "What?"

Nickhun put a hand on my shoulder. "I think you've been watching to many mystery movies lately."

I brushed off his hand. "Tell me what these illegal funds are!" I yelled. The entire class, those who stayed behind, fell silent. I turned around to see their expressions. Some of their expressions darkened, while others didn't have a clue. Everyone had their eyes on me. I scoffed. "So the reason why most of you are here because you cheated your way into it." I looked back to my friends. "I did think that it was so weird that Chansung got in here when he was barely passing. Summer school my ."  

"I think we shouldn't talk about this kind of stuff in class," Chansung whispered. "We'll talk after school." He looked at everyone and faked a smile. "Pay no attention to my friend here! He's just a little tired!" He put an arm around me, but pushed it aside. I gave him and glare and he looked taken back. To be honest, I hate to act like this to my friends, but I feel cheated somehow.

I walked to the front of the class and faced everyone. I looked everyone in the eye one by one and had a serious expression. "Someone. Anyone. Tell me what these 'illegal funds' are." I demanded. I raised my voice so that everyone could hear me loud and clearly. Some of them avoided my gaze. Others looked around confused, and were asking their friends what was going on. 

"Wooyoung..." 

At the entrance to the classroom stood Ai and Ji Eun. She looked at me, dumbfounded. 

I looked her straight in the eyes. "What are these illegal funds I'm hearing about?"

Her jaw slightly dropped, but she kept her composure. "I don't know what you're talking about Wooyoung. You probably just heard wrong."

"I heard you conversation loud and clearly!" I yelled. The tension in the room started to build up. "What are these illegal funds being donated to the school?" 

Ai wasn't listening to me. She ordered Ji Eun to close the doors and the windows. Ji Eun did as she was told. What are they trying to hide?

Ai looked straight at me. She tried to force a smile but failed, her eyes were sad. "Wooyoung, I don't think you should be talking about this kind of stuff. Leave it to the school."

"Just tell me what are these illegal funds and I'll stop! What do you mean the only reason you were chosen as the Student Council is because you were the top donors? What do you mean," I gestured to everyone in the class, "the the reason why most of these people are in here because they donated money and not because of their grades? Are you bribing the school?"

"That's not it."

"Then what is?"

Ai searched for the words but couldn't find it. She looked around the room nervously. 

I grew impatient. I started tapping my foot and ruffled my hair in frustration. I pushed passed Ai and opened the door. I heard Ji Eun trying to stop me.

"Wooyoung? Where are you going? Come back!"

To be honest, I didn't know where I was going. I just wanted to get away.

*Ai's POV*

"Wooyoung! Where are you going? Come back!" Ji Eun tried to call Wooyoung back but he was long gone.

Ji Eun walked back inside with her head down. "He's dead." She mumbled.

I looked around the room. Those who had no idea were clueless as ever. The ones who did know, however, were a mix of worry and anger. If he plans to tell anyone... He really is dead.


Okae so if you guys are getting confused... In the school, the way they arrange the classes are by grades. If I'm right, there are three years for a Korean high school. In each grade, there are four classes. Class A, Class B, Class C, and Class D. Class A has the highest grade scores and Class D has the lowest grade scores. If you're a first year, then the classes are Class 1A, Class 1B, Class 1C, and Class 1D. For second years: Class 2A, Class 2B, Class 2C, and Class 2D. For third years: Class 3A, Class 3B, Class 3C, Class 3D. So pretty much Class 3A is the smartest class in the school. Only the top 20 students can get in there. In my story, a lot of them cheated their way into there because they donated those illegal money. Pretty much any student that has any special privileges have those because they helped donate money to the school. Does that make sense? Am I confusing you?

And wow~ that's a big picture of Wooyoung. o__O 

If there's any spelling or grammar errors, I apologize.

Is my story boring? You can tell me.. Just comment about what you think >.<