A Sweet Memory

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Ai's POV*

"I will work hard until the very end. I hope that you can vote for me. Thank you." Wooyoung finished his speech and stepped back from the microphone. He smiled at me and I gave him a congratulatory high five.

Chihoon nudged me. "Ya," he whispered. "You're not suppose to play favorites."

I stepped on his foot and he suppressed a groan. "Shut up. I can do whatever I want." I smiled at Wooyoung and stepped in front of the microphone. 

"Thank you Wooyoung-sshi." I nodded to both Wooyoung and Hyun, who both finished their speeches. "You all have heard their speeches and later on during 6th period, your teacher will hand you the voting papers and you will vote for which person you think is most suitable for the role of class president."  

"That will be all for today," I continued. "Everyone have a great weekend!" 

We all exited from the broadcasting room and I congratulated Wooyoung. I don't know what for when he didn't even win yet. 

Wooyoung laughed. "Yeah, well Hyun had a very good speech. If I wasn't running for president, I would have voted for him."

Hyun smiled. "Well your speech was just as good. You really look like leader material."

Wooyoung smiled and the two contestant shook hands. Everyone left and Wooyoung and I were walking to our class together. I tilted my head down so that Wooyoung wouldn't see my smile and I felt squealing. I can't wait till I tell Ji Eun!

I turned to Wooyoung and I saw that he had a worried expression on.

"What's wrong?"

He looked at me and smiled. "Oh nothing. Just thinking too much. I'm nervous."

"Just relax, everything will be fine," I reassured him. "Oh and you seem to be on good terms with Hyun. How do you know him?"

Wooyoung scoffed. "Are you kidding me? I hate that guy."

I was truly shocked. "Waeyo?"

"He's always competing against me. Ever since we were in pre school. Don't know what's wrong with the guy." Wooyoung shook his head.

"Woah... really?" I just nodded my head. If only I can rig the votes somehow... But sadly, the voting process is handled by the school staff to prevent any favoritism. Damn bastards...

It was the middle of class when we got back. I resumed my normal life of going to school, attending classes, doing my job as vice president. However it seems like lunch would be different.

Ji Eun and I were sitting on one of the tables that was located outside the cafeteria. It was a nice day out so we decided to eat outside. We were eating a sandwich Ji Eun's mom prepared. 

"Sorry it's not much. She was in hurry today," Ji Eun apologized.

"It's okae. I could have cooked lunch but I woke up late," I say.

We both looked up at the sky, bored out of our minds. 

"At least there's the concert to look forward to tomorrow," she says.

"Yeah," I agreed.

"Hello~!" 

We both turned around and was greeted by a cheerful looking Wooyoung. My heart started racing and I felt my face get hot. Ji Eun noticed and covered up by raising her arms.

"Ahh! Wooyoung-sshi! How unexpected to see you here! What a nice day isn't it?" She said while I tried to calm myself down.

He took a seat across from us and nodded. "It is. I can see why you're eating out here and not in the cafeteria."

"Hello Wooyoung," I said awkwardly. It was all I can say. Actually I felt too nervous to say anything. 

"Ah!" My best friends snapped her fingers. "I remembered that I have make up work to do!" She made up. I knew she was lying. She's a terrible liar. She got up from her seat and excused herself. "I'll leave you two to talk. Bye-bye!" And she pranced off.

In a way I want to thank her, but it felt nerve-racking being alone with Wooyoung. We sat there not saying a word to each other.

"I remember when we first met," he started to say. It caught me off guard. I turned to him and he was looking in a distance, with a smile on his face. "We weren't in the same class, but our grade had a two days and one night field trip to watch the wild cherry blossoms in the mountains."

I stared at my hands. I remember it. I'm remember it very clearly. That was the day I first met Wooyoung and when I started having a crush on him. The memory came back to me...

I was enjoying my time at the field trip. Our schedule was to do some sight-seeing around the forest, have lunch, play some games, eat dinner, and view the beautiful cherry blossoms before going to sleep.

Every class was going around, taking a look at the beautiful scenery. I was with my group of friends in my class, while Wooyoung was surrounded by his. Guys and girls alike, surrounded him like the paparazzi. He was cracking some jokes, and the people around him laughed. The girls around him giggled; obviously they had an interest in him. His whole class seemed to be having fun. I wanted to join them.

For 30 minutes of our sight-seeing, just before we had lunch, they let us go off on our own. Me, Ji Eun, and a few other girls from our class decided to go to the lake. We were having fun, splashing each other with the cool water, pushing each other from the giant rocks that surrounded the lake. There was a necklace that my grandmother gave to me for my eleventh birthday, and I wore it ever since. It was special to me. However, when I felt my neck for the silver chain, I felt nothing. Panicking, I told them I was going to search for it. Ji Eun offered to go with me, but I didn't want to ruin her fun.

I searched the area for the necklace, but didn't have any luck. I was going to turn back when I tripped over a rock and tumbled down a small slope. I landed on my stomach with twigs poking at my body. I sat up and brushed off the grass and dirt. I tried to stand up but immediately fell back down. I grabbed my ankle and realized I sprained it. I also had a few cuts, but that was nothing. The sprain wasn't too bad either, but I couldn't walk without falling down. I called out for help and that's when Wooyoung found me.

"Hey are you okae?" he called from the top of the slope.

"Not really!" I yelled back. "I fell down and sprained my ankle. Can you call one of the teachers?" I looked at my bruise and out of curiosity, I touched it and flinched. Okae. Stupid move. I didn't hear an answer from him and when I looked back up, he was climbing down. I looked at him curiously and he answered a question I didn't ask.

"It would take too long if we wait for the teachers. Who knows where they are right now. Here, put your arm around my shoulder. I'll help you back to the cabin." I did as I was told and hesitantly put my arm around his shoulder. I felt myself blush. I hope it didn't show. He helped carry me up and took me back to the cabin the school was renting.

The nurse was ready for any students that injured themselves along the trip and she set me down in one of the spare rooms. She cleaned up my cuts, gave me a cold pack for my sprain, and elevated my foot on a couple of pillows. She told Wooyoung he could leave, but he stayed. The nurse left the room to inform my teacher about my injury, leaving me and Wooyoung alone.

I apologized right away. "I'm sorry. And thank you."

Wooyoung was at the window, playing with the curtains. "I understand the thank you, and you're welcome, but what's the sorry for?"

"For having to drag me all the way here. I must have been heavy." I don't know why I said that. Maybe trying to lift the atmosphere a bit?

"Well you weren't the lightest person."

I shot him a look. "Ya. You're suppose to be nice to girls and tell them 'Oh, you're not heavy at all! You're light as a feather!"

"But then I would be lying," he said. He had a point there. "And no. You weren't heavy at all. And I don't mind helping you out. Besides, I was getting bored and eventually got lost. I have a terrible sense of direction."

"Then how were you able to find your way back here?"

Wooyoung looked at me with a playful smile. "Luck?"

I scoffed but end up giggling. Wooyoung laughed a little himself and then it went back to the awkward tension. "What were you doing there anyways? I thought you were at the lake with your friends?"

I gave him a puzzled look. "How did you know I was at the lake?"

"My friends and I passed there and I saw a bunch of girls playing on the other side."

"Oh. Well, I lost my necklace my grandmother gave me," I said and touched the place where the jade stone usually was. "I was looking for it, and I tripped over some rocks and fell down."

"Necklace?" Wooyoung asked. He left the window and sat down on the chair next to the bed. "How did it look like?"

"It's about the size of a penny, made of real jade, and has a gold lining around it. My grandmother gave it to me for my eleventh birthday. She passed away a month after that." I felt tears in my eyes. "It was the last gift she gave me so it's very special to me."

I saw Wooyoung nod from the corner of my eye. "I'm sorry to hear that." 

I turned my face away so that he wouldn't see the tears in my eyes. I tried to hold it back, but my vision became blurry and a tear slid down my cheek. My blurred vision turned green and for a second I thought I was hallucinating. I wiped the tears away and when I looked up, I saw Wooyoung standing in front of me, holding my lost necklace. My jaw dropped and I held the jade in my hand. 

"Where did you find it?" I asked. He let go of the chain and it coiled in my hand.

"A couple of minutes before I found you, I found it under the bushes. The coins dropped from my wallet and scattered all over the place. While I was searching for my money, I found it."

I examined the precious necklace that was given to me by my late grandmother. "The chain is broken. No wonder it fell off."

Wooyoung sat down next to me. "You can have it fixed right?"

I nodded my head. "Ahh~ That's a relief. I was scared to death. Kamsahamnida."

"No problem." He stood up and sighed. "Seems like I helped you out two times today."

The nurse came back, "I have informed your teacher about your injury." She sat down on the chair next to bed. "The sprain isn't anything serious. If you rest for a couple of hours, then you'll be able to walk again." 

"Aww," Wooyoung pouted. "That means you're going to miss the games. I heard they brought water balloons. It's so fun to throw water balloons at people. I even hear that there's a game where you get to throw pie at the teachers."

I pouted as well. There were a few teachers I'd like to throw a pie at. 

"Jang Wooyoung-sshi, you can leave now." The nurse said.

Wooyoung took a step forward, but turned back. "You'll be alright?" 

I nodded my head. "I'll be fine. And thanks again."

"At least there's the cherry blossom viewing tonight," he turned to the nurse. "She'll be able to watch it right?"

The nurse smiled and nodded. "As long as she doesn't walk for about two hours, then she can certainly watch the viewing."

He turned back to me and there was a warm, kind smile on his face that made my heart beat faster. "Bye-bye."

I waved goodbye. "Bye-bye." And with that he left.

Ji Eun came by later to deliver my lunch. She was kind enough to stay. She was rambling on how worried she was that she thought I was lost and panicked when she heard that I was injured, but was relieved when she was told it was nothing serious.

"I'm sorry I scared you," I aplogized.

She patted my head. "It's alright. As long as you're not hurt."

I shot her a look. "Well, seriously injured. At least you didn't break a bone!"

She left after lunch was over. She offered to stay with me, but I didn't want her to miss out on the games. She have me a worried look and hesitantly left the room. 

The games went on as scheduled and from the window I could see glimpses of students and teachers having fun. I was sitting on the bed, the white blanket covering my bottom half. I pouted. Ugh... Why did I have to get myself injured? WAE?! I'm so stupid! I repeatedly hit myself on the head. 

I end up staying a few more hours because the nurse wanted to be sure it would heal fine. Ji Eun and some other of my friends would visit my from time to time and poke fun at me to lighten my mood.

At five o' clock, she gave me the OK to leave. "Just don't do any physical activities and it'll heal in a few days. If you need a doctor's note, just come to me. If the swelling starts up again, apply ice for 15-20 minutes."

"Arasseo." I left the room and went back to my own room with the other girls from my class. I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a bed, so Ji Eun and I set up our sleeping bags near a corner.

"How are you feeling?" She asked me when I sat down. 

"Fine. I just have to lay off any physical activity for a few days."

Ji Eun pouted. "Awww. That means you'll get to be excused from gym this week."

I laughed. "When's dinner?"

"At six."

At six, students flooded out of their rooms and towards the dining hall. Cafeteria woman there handed us a bento box. Our other friends called us to a table in the middle of the hall. I opened the lid of the box and was impressed with the servings. 

The box was divided into five sections. The biggest section held rice with *bindae duk on top of it. In the other four, smaller sections, were other food. Kimchi, galbi, carrots, and eggs. "They actually served good food."

"Lunch was pretty good as well," Ji Eun added. 

We ate lunch and the teachers sent us back to our rooms. The viewing ins't until nine so everyone just chilled in their rooms for the mean time. I fell asleep without realizing it and when Ji Eun woke me up, it was fifteen minutes till nine. I grabbed my rilakkuma hoodie and put it on. I pulled the hood over my head and followed the river of students out the cabin.

We followed the teachers' directions and walked down a path that led to a clearing. It was dark and there were benches scattered across the area. In the middle of it was a huge cherry blossom tree. You can see the leaves and petals, however it looked dull in the dark. Cherry blossom trees surrounded the clearing and lanterns hung from strings. Students fought for a seat. Ji Eun and I slipped away from the crowd and found a spot to sit. It was near the huge cherry blossom tree. 

I noticed a couple sitting across from us holding us. Ji Eun seemed to have noticed them as well. "Watching the cherry blossoms at night is something you should do as a couple. I envy them." 

I stared at the tree. She was right. Watching cherry blossoms fall at night is a romantic sight. I bet it would be even more romantic with the lanterns on. I glanced at the walkway leading to the area. There were still some students filing in. I caught myself looking for Wooyoung. At the time I didn't know his name. He never told me. Why am I looking for him? I shook off the thought and started kicking the pebbles at my feet. 

"Is there room for one more person?" I heard a familiar voice say. I looked to my right and saw Wooyoung smiling at me. I felt my heart beat faster. 

"H-huh?" I mumbled. 

"Can I sit here?"

I turned to Ji Eun and she noticed Wooyoung. She scooted a little to the left and I followed her action. Wooyoung sat next to me. My heart began beating faster and faster and I felt myself blush. 

"Why aren't you with your friends?" I asked. 

"Mehh. Most of my friends are in a relationship so they're off having alone time." He made air quotes and rolled his eyes. The rest of my friends ditched me. They said that coming here is boring and are hiding behind the dreams." He jabbed his thumb in the direction behind him. I turned around and saw some guys laughing near the trees.

When I turned back Wooyoung continued talking. "I don't think it's boring at all. I admire the cherry blossoms' beauty." He smiled and gazed at the dull looking cherry blossoms.

"Oh!" He snapped his fingers. He held out a hand to me. "My name is Wooyoung. Jang Wooyoung."

I smiled and awkwardly shook hands with him. "My name is Kwang Ai."

"I'm Lee Ji Eun!" Ji Eun butted in. I shot her a look but Wooyoung smiled. 

"You're a friend of Ai?"

She nodded. I don't know why, but I didn't like the interaction between them. I noticed a spark of light above me and looked up. I saw that the lanterns were slowly turning on. "They're turning on the lanterns now!" I pointed up. Wooyoung and Ji Eun looked up.

As the lanterns came to life with light, the whole place brightened up and the dull-looking cherry blossoms before now was a breath taking beauty. I was in awe. It looked so beautiful. The pink petals were flowing in the breeze and they fell to the ground with grace. It was like looking at a wonderfully painted artwork-surreal. 

"It's beautiful," Wooyoung muttered. 

I nodded. "It really is."


Uhh... I was planning on adding Wooyoung's POV but I felt that it was getting too long. How is it? I'll have chapter 12 up by... tomorrow, or Monday or Tuesday. If there's any spelling or grammar errors, I apologize. 

School is starting in two weeks and I think I won't update as often. >.< I'm trying to get out of my habit of being lazy, and spending too much time on the computer. It's my last two years of high school and I don't want to waste it. Well that was unrelated. 

I changed the font. What do you think? Better? Worse?I felt that the previous one was too small :/