Because I'm A Friend

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Sandeul's POV*

I froze where I stood. My father just sat on the chair and played with a pencil that he took from the porcelain cup that was on my desk. How did he find out? How did he get in here? I locked the door! 

"Father..." 

"How was your little walk?" He asked casually. 

I tried to form a sentence. Instead of answering his question, I decided to ask him a question back. "How did you get in here? I thought you had a meeting tonight."

My father shook his head. "You know, I read an article about kids these days rebelling and disobeying their parents. How troublesome those children are. I hope you don't become like them."

"Answer my question," I retorted.

"Then answer my question," he snapped back. 

I gulped and took a stepped back but my back hit the door. 

My father waved his hand. "Well, to make things short, I'll answer my own question and yours." He spun around and opened a laptop that was sitting on the desk. It sure wasn't my laptop. "My meeting was canceled. Good thing too, because the gardener called me saying that an animal escaped."

I bit my lip. I completely forgot about that grumpy old gardener. 

"And as for your walk," my father continued, "I bet it was nice." He turned it on and inserted a flash drive. "You must be so happy now that you've made up with that friend of yours." He opened a window. "Even after I forbid you to be near her."

Once he opened the window, a picture of me running towards the park came up. My eyes grew wide and I stared at the picture. He clicked on an arrow and switched to another picture. It was me and Miyeon on the swing set together. One by one, my father continued to show me pictures of me and Miyeon together at the park, walking to her house, and me running back here. 

I was too shocked to say anything. I knew my father was cruel, but this? This is just going to far! How could he have someone stalk me every single minute of the day?

He closed the window and faced me. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

I was at a loss for words. I looked at my father, then at the computer screen, then at the floor. I held onto the doorknob for support because sooner or later, my knees probably would have given in. 

My father just shook his head. "Please don't make this more complicated than it should. I'm trying to give the best for you, but you just throw it aside."

That caught my attention. I looked at my father once again. Rage started to fill me. "The best for me?" I scoffed. "If you really wanted to give the best for me, you wouldn't be doing all of this!" 

He looked at me. Like, really looked at me. As if I was just some stain on the rug that's been there for ages, but was only payed attention to now. At first his expression was surprised, but it was quickly covered up with anger. "Don't you dare talk back to me." He stood up. "I do my best and give you the best for you to live a happy life!"

"What you're doing isn't making me happy at all!" I yelled. "It's making me miserable! Can't you see that? Are you blind?" 

My father walked to me and raised my hand. I didn't close my eyes and flinched like I usually did. I don't want to give him the satisfaction of thinking he can control me. I looked him straight in the eyes. He had his hand in the air for a few seconds then lowered it. He pushed me aside and opened the door.

Before closing it he said, "Just remember, I'm doing all this for you. If you rebel against me, it will just get worse." He slammed the door shut and the room shook a bit. 

I let out a big sigh and slid down. I felt so tired. Mentally and physically. Worse? Could it get any worse than it already is? Knowing my father, most likely. 

*Miyeon's POV*

I slammed my bag on the desk and slumped down in my seat. I let out a great sigh and rubbed the temples of my head. I can't believe this is happening... I rested my hand on my cheek and stared at the blank chalk board. At that moment I felt two hands cover my eyes. I heard a small chuckle and smiled myself.

"Sandeul, I know it's you," I said.

Sandeul released his hands and took his seat. I turned myself to face him.

"You know," he said as he sat down, "what if it wasn't me?"

I shook my head, "I can tell when it's you."

Sandeul raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? How then?"

"I just know," I smiled and faced the black board once more. I heard Sandeul laugh a little and I couldn't take the smile off my face. I hadn't realized how lonely it was without Sandeul around. I tried to keep a pokerface so that people won't think it was weird that I was smiling to myself. 

***

"Can you come over to my house?" I asked. School was already over and Sandeul and I were still in our seats. 

"I would love to but..." Sandeul began to trail off.

"Your father's secretary is waiting for you," I finished off. It really must be hard on Sandeul. He can't go anywhere unless he has an approval from his father or his secretary. I just found out today that Sandeul snuck out of his house yesterday so that we could meet up. 

We sat in silence for awhile, trying to come up with a solution. I heard Sandeul snap his fingers. 

"I know!" He said as I looked at him. "Isn't there a back entrance to the school?"

I nodded. "But it's usually locked."

Sandeul shrugged his shoulders. "We can always jump over it."

I shook my head. "What? Now that you've escaped from your house once, you can do anything you want?"

Sandeul smirked. "Maybe."

I laughed. "Well, if you're really insistent." I grabbed my bag and got up. Sandeul followed right after. We both smiled and walked out of the classroom together. We made it to the back of the school and saw the back gate open. 

We stared at it for awhile. "I guess they decided to leave it open for today," said Sandeul.

We exchanged glances and walked out. Nothing happened. No alarms went off. Nothing shot at us. Guess it's safe to pass. As we made it to the other side, a big smile formed on Sandeul's face.

"What's with the big smile?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No reason. Can't a person smile for no reason?"

"There's no problem," I said while laughing.

Sandeul grabbed my hand and looked at me. "Let's go~" I followed him as he lead me. A smile formed on my face. It's nice to have this Sandeul back. The Sandeul that looks on the bright side of things, and smiles for no reason at all. I don't want him to leave ever again.

*Sandeul's POV*

We finally arrived at Miyeon's house. While Miyeon called out that we were home, I took off my shoes. Myeon turned to me. "Let me check the kitchen, you can stay in the living room if you want."

I nodded and headed to the living room while Miyeon entered the kitchen to look for her family. I sat on the couch and looked around. Not much seemed to have changed. There was a shelf right next to the big screen TV filled with albums and DVDs. I got up and examined it. They must be albums and DVDs of Miyeon's parents. I saw a couple of Big Bang's album and their concerts. Same goes for Miyeon's eomma. 

"Deullie~! We're in the kitchen!" Miyeon called.

"Arasseo!" I answered back. I put back the Big Bang concert DVD I held in my hand back on the shelf and headed to the kitchen. When I entered, a strong smell of meat hit my nose. I took in the mouth watering smell. "That smells good. Is it galbi?"

Miyeon's eomma nodded. "Miyeon was begging for some this morning," she said with a laugh. Miyeon stuck her tongue out. 

"Yejun was begging more than me," she said. 

I laughed. "Where is Yejun anyways?"

"He has vocal lessons," Miyeon said as she took a seat at the dining table. "He'll be back soon."

I took a seat next to her. "Do you still have banana milk?"

She looked at me like I was crazy. "We always have banana milk. Except for that one time when Taemin oppa came to visit us." She chuckled at the memory. "He took half the box when he left." 

Miyeon's eomma shook her head. "That boy is obsessed with banana milk. Even till now."

We all laughed. "Oh yeah, I hear that you two finally made up," Miyeon's eomma said while smiling at us.

"Yup~! Isn't that great!" Miyeon replied. 

"It is. I thought you were going to fall into depression or something when you two fought," Miyeon's eomma said.

I looked at Miyeon. "What? Depression?"

Miyeon waved her hand. "No! Eomma is exaggerating!" She looked down and pouted. "But I was sad when we weren't talking." 

I smiled. "Me too." 

"I'M HOME!!"

Yejun bounced into the room. "Mmm~ Galbi~" Once Yejun layed eyes on me, he pranced at me. I was almost knocked off the chair. I laughed at Yejun's childness and hugged him back. "It's great to see you too. And thanks."

He looked at me. "For what?" Then his mouth formed into an O. "Ohh~ You're welcome~" He let go me and took a seat across from us. "Are you going to stay for dinner?"

I nodded my head. "Yup~"

"Are you sure?" I turned to Miyeon whose expression was wary. "Are you sure you won't get into trouble? Wouldn't you father's secretary wonder why you're not out of school yet?"

"I sent him a text saying that our class is being extended because of troublemakers."

"And... it's okae?"

I nodded. "He bought it."

"Okae," Miyeon said. "I just don't want you to be in more trouble than you already are. Did your appa find out you snuck out last night?"

I can't tell her what happened last night. I don't want her to worry more. But then again, didn't I say that I'll tell her everything from now on? "No. I was back in my room before he got home."

Miyeon let out a sigh of relief. "That's good."

"I'm home!" said a familiar voice. Miyeon's appa walked in and smiled. "It seems like we'll be having a big dinner tonight," he said, looking at me. He walked over to me and Miyeon. "It's great to see you two kids talking again." He messed up our hairs.

"Appa~!" Miyeon pouted while her appa pinched her cheeks. He walked over to his wife and planted a kiss on her cheek. 

"Dinner is almost done," she said. 

Miyeon's father turned around and clapped his hands. "Okae! Time for you kids to get off your lazy butts and prepare the table!"

We all groaned when he shot us a look. 

"Fine..." We all said at once and began preparing the table.

*Miyeon's POV*

Dinner was finished and we were all in the living room watching TV. 

"I bet they're all going to die in the end," said Yejun.

"Most of them already died, including the the princess's brother!" I exclaimed.

"Will they ever be together in the end?" Eomma sighed.

"That Shin guy is really annoying," Appa commented.

"I'm... lost," Sandeul said as he stared blankly at the TV.

"It's okae, it's almost done anyways. The series that is," I said.

"When's the last episode?" Eomma asked.

"Tomorrow," I replied. 

A faint ding was heard and eomma got up. "That's the brownies! Yejunnie, do you want to help me prepare them?"

"You made brownies?" Appa asked. 

Yejun got up. "As long as I get extra pieces!" 

The two left for the kitchen and Sandeul got up to use the bathroom. "I'm going to use the bathroom."

"Go right ahead," said appa. Sandeul left, leaving me and appa alone to watch the drama. 

"I feel sad for Kim Sungyu, all he--" I was going to continue but appa interuppted by sitting next to me. A little too close. I side-eyed him. "Yes? Can I help you?"

"Tell me my daughter," he started, "have your feelings developed for Sandeul yet?"

I looked at him. "What?"

"Have your feelings developed?" He sighed. "I already gave you a lecture about this when you were younger."

"You did?" 

"What I'm saying is, do you like Sandeul or not. And don't lie to me. Because I can tell if you're lying or not." 

I stared at the coffee table. To be quite honest, I knew the answer to this for a long time already. I just denied it because I thought Sandeul didn't feel the same. I've seen many stories about best friends, and one of them have feelings for the other person, but the other person doesn't feel the same way. What if Sandeul doesn't like me back and I tell him I like him and then our whole friendship gets ruined. I'm scared that it will happen, and I don't want to lose my friendship with him.

"I... don't know," I finally said.

"You don't know?" Appa must have not believed me.

I sighed. There's no use lying to him. "Well, I do know." I leaned back. "I do like him. You gave me the same lecture as I grew up, but stopped telling it to me when I entered high school. I don't know why though. I've always thought that you were crazy and that me and Sandeul will just stay as friends. When Sandeul and I entered high school, I still thought of us as friends, but recently..." I sighed. "I don't know. I guess I finally realized my feelings for him."

I looked to my appa, waiting for him to reply. He smirked and sat forward. "I stopped giving you that lecture, because I wanted your feelings for each other to grow on your own. I couldn't force you two to be together, even though I was pretty sure you will. It's just that, you reminded me so much of your eomma and I. Probably I was a bad appa for planting that stupid speech into your mind, but your feelings for each other would have developed anyways. It's just that, your eomma and I went through so much hardships for us to be together. I suffered so much, and I think I made her suffer as well. I didn't want you two to go through that kind of thing."

He moved closer to me and wrapped his arms around me. "I know you're scared Sandeul won't return your feelings. I was scared too. But if you don't tell him sooner or later, and someone else does... Well, you'll regret it so much. It's better to say something now than later. And I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm pretty sure Sandeul feels the same way."

I hope you're right appa...

"What did I miss?" Hearing Sandeul's voice made me jump and appa let go. 

"Ohhh~ Well, Shin's subordinate died," appa said, quickly covering up.

"Yeah!" I agreed. "It's stupid how they're saying retreat, but they're just walking away. Haha," I laughed awkwardly.

"Yeah. How stupid. Hahaha," appa laughed along. 

Sanduel gave us weird looks and sat down. "Well okae then." 

RIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG

"I'll answer that," appa got up and went to answer the phone when eomma and Yejun came back holding a plate of brownies. They set it on the table and we all grabbed a piece. 

"Hot! Hot!" I was fanning my mouth, hoping for it to cool down. 

"Then why did you eat it?" Sandeul asked.

"Because it's good!" 

We all laughed and continued eating. A few minutes later, appa returned and sat down next to eomma. His expression was dark. 

"Appa, are you okae?" I asked.

He rubbed his temples. "My company tried negotiating with them, but they still won't give our money back."

Eomma pulled appa into a hug. "They were probably just after the money."

*Sandeul's POV*

Everyone's expression darkened and the mood went down. "What's going on? What happened?" 

Miyeon spoke first. "Appa had a showcase this Friday for his new album and he booked it at this hotel, but they canceled it. Just three days before the event happened!" 

"They canceled it at the last minute," Miyeon's appa said. "I really don't mind if they do, but it's just so sudden. Now my fans would have to wait. This was so suppose to be a thank you gift for them."

"They won't even give them back their money," Yejun added.

"What? Why! How could they just cancel it at the last minute, and not even return your money?" I exclaimed. "Was everything set up already?"

He shook his head. "We were planning on setting it up today, but yesterday was when I got the call that they canceled it. My manager tried reasoning with them, but it didn't work. Not even my company could move them." He sighed. "I guess we have to postpone my showcase until we find another venue." 

Everyone's mood changed suddenly. I couldn't blame them though. Even I thought it was messed up for them to do that. "What hotel were you planning on holding it?" I asked curiously.

"The Camillia Hotel," he replied.

The Camillia Hotel... Oh no... He didn't.... Anger started to boil once more. Like how it always did whenever my father did somehting. I need to talk to him. "I'm sorry to leave suddenly, but I think it's getting too late." I said.

Yejun pouted. "But it's only seven! Can't you stay longer?"

I patted his head. "I wish I can, but if you want me to live, I have to go back now."

"Sandeul is right," said Miyeon's eomma. "I don't want him to be in any more trouble. I hope everything works out for you and your father."

I nodded. "I hope so too." 

***

Miyeon offered to walk me home, but I told her no. Even if she just walked me half way, if my father still had people watching me, I don't want anything to happen to her. I sent a text to my father's secretary saying I'm on my way home. He offered to pick me up, but I said I can get there on my own. I finally arrivde at my house and entered through the front door. 

"Where's father?" I asked one of the maids.

"He will be home soon," she replied. "Go get change and head to the kitchen. Dinner is already prepared."

I did as I was told. I quickly changed out of my stuffy school uniform and into jeans and a shirt. I headed downstairs to the kitchen to find my father already eating. Just the sight of him made my anger rise. I clenched my fists and took a seat across from him. I didn't say anything as I began eating. 

"How was those extra hours of classes?" He asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Boring. They just retold us everything they taught us earlier today and tested us if we learned anything at all."

He didn't reply and just continued eating. I kept glancing at him every once in awhile. Should I ask him now? Or will he go into another rage and lock me in my room? I took my chances.

"Hows the Camillia Hotel?" 

I could feel my father's stares. "It's going good. Why do you ask?" 

"Well, if I am going to take over the hotel business someday, won't I need to care about our other branches?" I said. 

My father nodded. "I see you're finally taking it seriously. Well, the Camillia Hotel is running smoothly. You have nothing to worry about. However, our other branch of hotel--"

"Were you the one that ordered for the cancelation of G-Dragon's showcase this Friday?" It felt weird to call Miyeon's appa this. 

"I don't know what you mean," he said.

"No. You do know what I mean." I put my chopsticks down. "You know very well that Miyeon's appa is G-Dragon. He had a showcase this Friday at the Camillia Hotel, but it got canceled at the last minute. They won't even give them their money back. Were you the one who ordered the cancelation?"

"I can't believe you would accuse your own father of such things."

"Answer me!" 

I saw a smirk on his face. "Very well then. You're right. I'm the one who canceled it."

"Why?"

My father looked right into my eyes. "Because, I specifically ordered you to stop hanging around that girl. It seemed to work at first, but your little talk yesterday with her ruined it."

"Leave her alone." I said through my gritted teeth. 

"I'll leaver her and her family alone," he said as he sat back, "but, you must do as I say."

I bit my lip. I can't have him controling me anymore, but I don't want him to hurt Miyeon either. "Cut all ties with her, and marry Ha Neul. Continue your studies here at the hotel and befriend Wooyoung to take advantage of them later on. You got that?" 

I hands were urging to take something heavy and throw it at him. How could he be so cruel? 

"If you don't want me to hurt Miyeon," he said slowly. "Then do as I say. I can do a lot worse than a cancelation of a showcase."

*Miyeon's POV*

I walked into class and headed to my desk.  I sat down and all of a sudden, Chunji and L.Joe were by my side.

"May I help you?"

L.Joe pouted. "Miyeon-ah, you see..."

"He wants money," Chunji said.

"Ya! I don't need to talk for me!" L.Joe snapped. He looked at me again with puppy dog eyes. "Could I borrow some money? It's only 100 won."

"Only?" I said, baffled. "What do you need it for?"

"What else do I need it for? Food!" He said. "They're going to be selling sweet custard bread at the student store today!"

"And how many were you planning on buying?" I asked.

"... Five..." L.Joe whispered.

"Five? Why do you need so much?" I asked.

He pouted. "I'm a growing boy!" 

Chunji laughed. "Sorry for bothering you Miyeon. Just ignore him."

I shook my head. "No it's okae. I feel nice today, so I'll give you 50 won. But that's all. I need to eat too you know."

L.Joe took the money with bright eyes. "Kamsahabnida! Jeongmal kamsahabnida Miyeon-ah!" He gave me a tight hug and skipped off.

Chunji shook his head. "And he wonders why he's still single." We laughed together. "Oh, I heard that you and Sandeul finally made up."

I nodded. "Yeah. It's great!" 

Chunji smiled. "It is. It felt weird not seeing you two together. I'm happy you're friends again."

"Thanks," I said. 

"Well, I'm going to go now. I'm pretty sure L.Joe is sniffing around, looking for another 50 won." Chunji laughed. "Bye."

"Bye!" I waved as he left the room to look for L.Joe. At that moment Sandeul walked in. "Good morning Deullie~!"

He ignored my greeting and sat down. 

What? I turned my chair around and spoke louder. "Good morning Deullie~!!"

He finally looked at me, but his eyes were full of hatred. I backed away a little. Why... Why is he looking at me like this? "Deullie... What's wrong?"

"Don't call me Deullie. And don't speak so formally to me," he said coldly.

"Why?" Fear started to wash over me. Did something happen again? Did his father found out he was at my house? "Sandeul, if something happened, tell me. I thought we agreed to tell each other our problems from now on. No matter how bad it is. We're friends."

"That's the thing, we're not friends anymore," he said.

I have never heard Sandeul speak so coldly before. Especially to me. No. I don't want us fighting again. I won't let that happen. "Sandeul, if your father did something to you, please tell me. You know that I'm here for you right? We're going to get through this together right?" I tried to reach for his hand, but he slapped mine away.

"Please don't talk to me anymore," he got up. "Since we're not friends anymore, don't talk so formally. Actually, we shouldn't talk at all. If you are going to talk to me, it should be school related and nothing more." He walked away, but I followed him. 

"Sandeul!" I grabbed his hand, but he pulled away.

"Please..." The way he said it, there was anger, but also pain. He looked angry, but he wanted to cry. I know Sandeul well enough. He can't hide anything from me. He doesn't want to do any of this, but it's like he has to. 

"Sandeul..."

"Just leave me alone," he said and walked away. 

I stood there like a statue. Not again... This can't happen again.


I can't believe Sandeul is doing this to her. It's so heartbreaking T^T But he's only doing it to protect Miyeon right? 

I don't know if you guys read my after comments, but I would kinda want you to read this chapter's after comments. I guess it's semi-important?

First, I'm so sorry for dragging on this story. I want to finish it as soon as possible and get to the good parts *O* I honestly hate stories that drag on, but I'm doing the same thing. OTL I'm sorry for the boring chapters lately.  The next few chapters are going to be about Ai and Wooyoung, then after that, the good stuff happens~ >:)

Second... uhhh... I guess I'll be updating more often. Or at least trying to. 1st quarter is done and important projects and tests are over and done with~!! I actually have three other fanfic ideas, but I'm not going to start it until I finished this one. Actually, I wrote the first couple of chapters, but they're saved on Microsoft Word xD 

Third... is there a third? LOL I guess I'm done for now~ ^^ Ignore any spelling or grammar errors that I'm too lazy to fix right now. Oh, and I kinda like the title for this chapter "Because I'm A Friend" I don't know why, but I like it. I like it like it like it~ xD It's actually a line from a song. Lee Seung Gi's 'Because We're Friends'. The song is different from Miyeon and Sandeul's story, but I saw that one line and I liked it xD Listen to it~ It's a nice song~!! Sad though ;^;