The Words That Should Have Been Said A Long Time Ago

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Wooyoung’s POV*

“You’re allowed to go in now,” a doctor told me and my father.

“Thank you,” my father said and we got up from the bench we were sitting on. I rested my hand on the doorknob and took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. I turned the knob and pushed the door open. 

It was a small room fit for only one patient. It was simple too. One bed occupied the middle of the room with a drawer besides it. On the opposite end was a taller drawer. Across from me was a window with the curtains pulled shut. Sandeul and his father were both sitting on the bed even though there was an empty stool next to them. 

I looked at them both. Sandeul looked worse than before. Small cuts and bruises were all over his body and his right arm was in a cast. His hair was a mess and dark circles that I saw a few days ago had gotten worse. He looked extremely tired and worn out. Sandeul’s father looked equally tired and his eyes were red and a little bit puffy. Was he crying? I just noticed that Sandeul’s eyes were a little red too.

I walked over to Sandeul and sat down on the stool. “How are you feeling?”

Sandeul sighed. “Horrible. I feel like I’m going to break any moment. Literally.”

“Well, can I be the first one to sign your cast?” I asked, trying to lift the mood. “And look on the bright side, you don’t have to do any work and you’ll be excused from all your tests!”

It worked because Sandeul laughed, but sighed immediately afterwards. All three of us had our eyes on Sandeul, but he was quiet. After a few minutes, he got up.

“Where are you going?” Sandeul’s father asked.

“I need to see Miyeon. I can’t sit still and wait. It’s unsettling.” His tone of voice was serious and he walked passed us. 

“Junghwan!” His father tried to stop him but my dad restrained him. 

“Let him go Seonu,” he said calmly. Mr. Lee grimaced but sighed and backed away. My father walked up to me and laid a hand on my shoulder. “Can you go with Sandeul? Someone needs to make sure he gets to the emergency room safely.”

I nodded. “Yes appa.” I stood up and followed Sandeul outside who was having trouble walking. I shook my head. This boy can be a bit stubborn at times. I saw him stagger a bit and almost fell.

“Ya!” I ran up to him and helped him up. With every move that he made, he would flinch and tried to suppress a groan. He was in pain but he didn’t want to show it. “You want me to get you a wheelchair?” I asked.

He shook his head. “No. That would take too long. I need to see Miyeon now.”

I looked at the state he was in and shook my head. “Fine. But you need my support or else you’ll be crawling your way there. Did I mention the emergency room is on the seventh floor?”

I swung Sandeul’s good arm — well not really good because he flinched when I moved it, but it was in a whole lot better condition than his right— over my shoulder. I helped him all the way until we made it to the seventh floo.

It would have been quiet during our walk except for the fact that Sandeul kept breathing hard. He only spoke once.

“If anything were to happen to her because of me, I don’t think I can live with myself.”

*Sandeul’s POV*

We made it to the emergency room that held Miyeon. Outside the room stood her whole family. Once Yejun saw me, he ran up to hug me but stopped once he saw my cast.

“Your arm…” he said with wide eyes. “What happened to it?”

“Broke it,” I said in simple terms. 

He nodded and gave me an awkward air hug. I couldn’t help but laugh and messed up his newly dyed blonde hair. 

“You look good with blonder hair,” I said.

Miyeon and Yejun’s parents walked over to us.

“How are you feeling Sandeul?” asked their dad. 

“Not so good.” My eyes wandered off to the door. “Have they said anything?”

Yejun shook his head. “No one would let us in and no one has gone out to tell us anything. We’ve been waiting here for more than an hour already.”

Miyeon’s mother began crying. Her husband pulled her into a hug and patted her head. 

“I was so worried,” Yejun whispered. His voice was so soft that I had to lean in to hear him. Tears were forming in his eyes. “I thought I would lose both of you. I’m happy that you’re safe,” he stopped to sniffle, “but— but noona.” The tears finally made its way out and it fell from his cheeks onto his shirt. 

I used my left arm to hug him. This was always such a happy family and even though they’ve fought sometimes, I’ve never seen them this broken. It broke my heart to see them like this. 

Don’t you dare leave us Miyeon. You can’t leave us. You just can’t.

I tried to hold back the tears, but it was hard. 

At that moment, a doctor came out and we all lifted our heads. He looked at us with emotionless eyes. 

“So?” Miyeon’s mother asked. “How is she?”

The doctor sighed. “We did our very best. Her heartbeat is slow, but it’s still beating. She’s getting better, but as for now she has a concussion. Can’t say for sure if it’s a coma. We’ll be checking up on her in hour.” He took off his mask and gloves. “Family is only allowed to see her.”

I felt my heart sink as I watched the Kwon family moved forward, but I stood in my place. I want to see Miyeon. I want to know how she is right now. I — I just need to see her.

I held back my tears. You’re not a part of her family Junghwan. Rules are rules. But they’re stupid rules.

“Wait. He’s part of our family too,” I heard Miyeon’s dad say. 

I look up to see him holding out his hand and smiling. I couldn’t believe what he was doing, but it didn’t matter, I followed them inside the room.

To think that my heart broke before, it was nothing compared to now. Before, it was just like someone hit it with a metal bat and a few cracks appeared, but it wasn’t broken. But seeing Miyeon on a hospital bed, all bandaged up — It was like someone took a bulldozer and really broke my heart to a million pieces. My father yelling at me, having a fight with Miyeon, that was nothing compared to now.

Miyeon looked peaceful sleeping. However, it didn’t look all that fairytale like. A huge bandage was wrapped around her forehead with a square bandage on her left cheek. Both her arms were also covered in bandages and a tube that went from her forearm to a packet with clear liquid. Small cuts spotted her body and I almost threw up when I saw a small piece of a bloody rag sticking out from the trashcan. 

All the tears I held back finally came out. I ran over to her and picked up her hand and held it to my cheek. She was still warm. That meant she was alive. For now. I didn’t know what to say first so I just blurted out what came to my mind.

“I’m sorry.” More tears came. “I’m so sorry Miyeon. I couldn’t protect you. I failed as a best friend. Don’t you dare leave me! Don’t you dare leave your family!” I was pretty much yelling already, but I didn’t care. “I thought you said you’ll be by my side forever. How is that going to work if you die! I know you can hear me. They say that even if you’re in a coma, you can still hear your surroundings, so listen to me! Don’t you even think about leaving me for one second!” 

Tears wouldn’t stop flowing and my vision was getting blurry. “Why… Why did you push me out of the way? Why did you sacrifice yourself! Are you stupid? I thought you hated me. So why… why did you do that? Please don’t go.” My voice was barely a whisper now. “I need you.” I gulped. It was now or never. If she doesn’t wake up now, I would regret not telling this to her for the rest of my life.

“I… I love you. So please… please don’t leave me.”


OMO~ Sandeul confessed he loves her~!! But is he too late?? T^T ... Reading the title, it was a bit of a spoiler huh? xD

This is kinda a short chapter isn't it? I wanted to leave it as a cliffhanger that's why~ xD I know for the past three chapters, I've updated quickly because I already had these chapters written down for the longest time. I just didn't know how I was going to lead up to it. So after this chapter, I'm going back to my slow updates OTL I'm sorry.  And forgive me if I'm neglecting the other characters. I just gave so much problems to these two OTL I will start getting back to them in the next chapter~

Excuse me if I have any spelling or grammar errors. Please comment~