Isn't Easier To Just Runaway?

This Is What Fate Gives You

Is it just me or does Sandeul kinda look like Song Joongki here in this pic?

*Sandeul's POV*

We had our usual training. Mr. Jang taught us more about stocks and even showed us the number of stocks our hotel has. Since I didn't have my bag with me, I had to borrow paper and a pencil from Wooyoung. I tried concentrating on Mr. Jang's lecture, but my mind kept wandering off to my father's conversation earlier.

It was the first time I heard my dad.... break down. Even if it was just a little bit. He always seemed so strong. Could it be that he's just putting up a front? He was betrayed by his closest friends and left all alone. I guess I can see why he's so bitter now. Is that why he's pushing me so hard to become his successor?

I sighed and put my head down, which wasn't a good idea. Mr. Jang hit the spot on the table near me with his stick. "No sleeping!" He yelled. He went back to his power point and continued his lecture. I looked over at Wooyoung who had a concerned look on his face.

He mouthed. "You okae?"

I nodded my head. "Tired." I mouthed. 

Wooyoung nodded and went back to the presentation. I was also debating whether or not I should tell Wooyoung about what I overheard. He told me about him being bullied. It was stupid really. They thought he told on them so his classmates and friends turned their back on him and bullied him. It was all because of misunderstanding. He told me that it was all cleared out, but he was still an outcast. 

"I went from being surrounded at my desk to being completely alone." Wooyoung told me.

I sighed. Wooyoung should have a right to know. Right? My father and the school will be meeting up and that's when he'll propose to end it. But will the school agree? They're doing fine now, but they've become too greedy. I messed up my hair. I couldn't pay attention one bit and if there's going to be a test, I'm going to fail. Meh. I'll just Wooyoung for his notes. 

Once the meeting was over, Mr. Jang said we could leave and we were on our way to the lobby. 

"Are you sure you're okae?" Wooyoung asked once we got on the elevator. 

I looked at the mirrored ceiling. Should I tell him? 

"And don't tell me you're tired," Wooyoung said. "When you came back, you were pale like you saw a ghost."

I sighed and thought about it. He's being bullied for something that wasn't even his fault and he wants to stop this just as much as I do.

I looked at him seriously. "Actually, when I went back to my father's office I--"

My words were cut off when the elevator doors open. We both turned to the person standing outside and I couldn't help but be a little surprised. "Ha Neul."

Ha Neul looked equally surprised. "Sandeul, I didn't expect to see you here. Well actually I did but-- Can I talk to you?" 

I looked back and forth between Ha Neul and Wooyoung. I had to tell Wooyoung about what I heard, but if Ha Neul is here to see me, it must be important. I sighed. "Wooyoung can I talk to you later?"

Wooyoung looked at me then at Ha Neul and seemed to understand. "Okae. See you tomorrow then." Wooyoung waved goodbye and stepped out of the elevator. Ha Neul stepped inside and stood by me.

"What floor are we going to?" I asked.

Ha Neul shrugged her shoulders. "We'll just walk around a bit."

We ended up walking out of the elevator and walking along hallways, having not set destination. Neither of us said a word until we both decided to break it. We spoke at the same time and looked at each other. We laughed at our awkwardness. 

"You go first," I say.

Ha Daehyun sighed. "You must be wondering why I wanted to see you."

I nodded. "I was surprised to see you back there."

We turned left and walked down a flight of stairs. 

"Well if you're wondering," she began, "I just wanted to let you know that my father is becoming suspicious of me and my boyfriend."

I turned to her and her expression immediately changed. Her small smile turned to a small frown. Even her eyes weren't smiling. 

"How did he find out?" 

"He caught me talking to him one night. I made an excuse saying I was talking to a friend, but I don't think he believed it. Just last week when I was going out, me and Daehyun had planned to take me out to a restaurant. As we were leaving the place, I saw my father walking down the sidewalk and panicked. I told Daehyun to go and hide, but father had already spotted him. He was questioning why I was talking to him and I said that I was just asking for directions."

"He didn't believed it?" I guessed.

Ha Neul shook her head. "He didn't say anything but took me back home. I didn't even have time to say goodbye."

We continued down another hallway in silence. After about five minutes I said, "Is that why you wanted to see me? To pull away your father's suspicion."

Ha Neul nodded lightly. "I'm so sorry for always bothering you about this. I must be taking a lot of your time and--"

I interrupted before she could go on. "It's okae. I really don't mind at all. Besides, if my father sees me with you, he'll think that I'm being a good boy and following his orders."

Ha Neul smiled, probably a signal to let me know that she understands."So are we going to keep walking in a circle or are we actually going somewhere?"

I finally took a look at my surroundings. She was right. We were back at the flight of stairs we just went down earlier. I could remember the small table on the side with a antique flower pot with white lilies occupying the space and a mirror showing me my reflection. 

"How about we go somewhere? I know this great new ice cream shop that just opened!" I said with a smile. Ha Neul looked up at me and smiled as well. She nodded and we walked down the stairs once more.

***

We were now in Hongdae, going down the street with shops, department stores, bakeries, parlors, restaurants, you name it. I could remember the location of the new ice cream shop because it was right across the my favorite music store. I led her inside and we each bought our own ice cream.

"I'll have green tea please with chocolate shavings on top," I requested.

After a few minutes of thinking and trying samples, Ha Neul finally said, "White chocolate."

"Would you like any toppings or anything to mix in it?" Asked the worker. Ha Neul shook her head and the guy went to get our ice creams. I offered to pay for the ice cream and we waited at the cash register. Once our ice cream arrived, we decided to walk around. 

"It's not too hot today," Ha Neul pointed out. "It's cool and breezy, a nice day to take a picnic." A ghost of a smile appeared on her face and her expression was like she was longing for something. I was curious to know but kept my mouth shut. As we walked around Hongdae, the sun started to set and street lamps were beginning to light up. 

"Are you sure you can be out this late?" I asked.

"I'm seventeen not five," she said pouted. "And my curfew is ten o' clock."

I suppressed a laugh. The whole time we were walking, we just talked and got to know each other a little. She seems like a very mature girl for her age, but once you finally get to know her, she's like a little girl. Seeing this side of her made her more attractive.

We continued talking when I recognized a familiar laugh. I stopped in my tracks and was scared to turn around. I risked to take a glance behind me and saw Miyeon walking out of a store with Chunji and L.Joe. I panicked. I didn't want her to see me with Ha Neul. I couldn't let another misunderstand happen and let things get worse. I pulled Ha Neul's arm and ducked behind an alley way. Ha Neul let out a small yelp and was asking me why we were hiding. I put a finger over my lips, signaling for her to be quiet. She copied my action and nodded. I turned away from her and tried to spy on my friends. 

The three stopped by a food vendor right in front of the shop they came out of. They were eyeing the food, pointing at the ones they want to try. They must have ordered something because the old woman behind the counter grabbed a plastic bag and began putting food inside. I watched as Miyeon and L.Joe were pulling out their wallets when Chunji stopped them. He took out his wallet and paid for their food. The two must have protested because I saw them bickering for awhile. The old woman laughed and said something I couldn't comprehend. The other three laughed as well and said goodbye to the old woman. I saw them coming this way and I hid once again. I crouched down behind boxes full of oranges sitting outside the store. They stopped by a crosswalk just right before me and waited for the light to turn green before crossing.

I sighed. I wish everything that had happen, never happened. Those stupid illegal funds, my mother leaving, the arrange marriage meetings, Miyeon and I fighting and not talking. I wish none of it ever happened. Everything and everyone I love and care about is drifting away from me and I can't do anything about it. Just because I'm afraid of father. I thought about the conversation I overheard earlier with my father and Wooyoung's father. If what happened in his past made him the way he is now, I can't be too angry with him, but he's just being too much. I wish I could just run away. 

"I wish I could just run away."

I freaked out. Had Ha Neul been reading my mind? Or my face? Miyeon said that my face is easy to read. She wasn't looking at me, but what was behind me. 

"Don't you wish that sometimes too?" Ha Neul asked. I wasn't sure if she was really talking to me or just talking to herself. I didn't answer her but looked back to the street. Miyeon, Chunji, and L.Joe had already crossed and were now heading to my favorite music store. I saw them laughing as they entered. My heart tightened. After everything that had happened to me and Miyeon, I haven't seen a smile from her, but now that she was with them, she was laughing. Even though it hurts me to push her away, I just hoped she would be okae without me. And seeing that she can be happy without me by her side, it just hurts even more. After the door closed behind them, memories of me and Miyeon going there came back to me. This store had almost every CD there is. Albums from the 80s, trot albums, albums from today's hottest idol groups, American artists, European singers, they had it all. We spent hours in that store, sampling songs from different types of albums. They had a karaoke room on the second floor, and we spent Friday nights singing and just having fun. 

The memories washed over me like a huge tsunami wave. I leaned against the wall and gazed up at the sky. I didn't know what to do anymore. I felt like just giving up on everything. I thought about what Ha Neul said. 

"Yes."

She looked up at me, puzzled. 

"Yes," I repeated with my eyes still on the sky. "I would like to run away, but I'm so weak, I don't think I would have the guts to do it."

Ha Neul took some time to let my answer sink in. She then asked me, "If you had the opportunity to leave, will you?"

I thought about it. Would I really leave? Everyone that I love is leaving me or I'm pushing them away from me. Would I even have the guts to do it?

I was lost in my thoughts when I saw something gleaming from the corner of my eye. I turned to Ha Neul and in her hands was a small, black velvet box. Inside, cushioned with a silk pillow was a ring. My eyes widened at my assumption of what it is. 

"Is that..." my words trailed off, not really believing even myself.

Ha Neul nodded. "Daehyun proposed to me a few days ago. I told him it's still too early, but he said my father is just going to marry me off with someone else right now. 'Might as well get married and runaway' he says. I... I was shocked. I probably would have said if he could wait, but at the sound of running away; being free and not listening to my father anymore... It made me happy for a moment."

I stared at the ring and back to Ha Neul. "What did you say?"

She looked at the ground and then stared at the ring for quite some time. "I said yes." She looked up at me to see my reaction. I didn't even know how to react. I was shocked, yes, but at the same time, I kinda expected her to say yes. She looked at the ground once again. "You must think I'm crazy." I opened my mouth but closed it quickly. I've seen in a lot of movies and dramas where two people elope but something bad happens later on. Either one of their parents drags them back home, or they have a fight and just leave each other for good. I've watched this one movie during class where the girl turns out to have a very deadly disease and she was scheduled to die when she's 21. Her boyfriend and her got married and ran away, but as they were vacationing on Jeju, her conditioned worsened and she was forced to go to the hospital and died a couple of hours later. I didn't want to scare her, but to elope... that's very serious. But she was so willing...

"It's up to you," I ended up saying. "It's your life and I can't tell you how to live it. If you really love this guy and trust him..." I scratched the back of my neck. I'm not good at giving advice. Especially when it comes to love. "Well, you decided what's right. If you're willing to leave your family behind you, then that's your choice. But it's going to come out as a big shock to them once they find out you're missing. At least leave a note, and make some quality time for each of them before you... you know. Leave." 

Ha Neul looked at me. "They would find it weird that I'm talking to them like that and will suspect something."

I gulped and let out a small laugh. "True. Hey, I'm not good at giving advice okae." I raised an eyebrow at her. "But it's true what I said earlier, it's really up to you. It's your decision. You wanted to decided your life on your own, and now you have a chance."

Ha Neul looked as if what I said had dawned on her and that I could be right. She closed the box and slipped it back into her coat pocket. "You could be right."

***

We walked back to the hotel where Ha Neul was picked up. I tried calling my father to see if he was at his office, but one of his secretaries said he had to leave on an urgent business. I guess I'm walking home. Tech secretary handed me my school bag and I left write away. 

I decided to walk home instead of taking the bus. I think I need some fresh air and some time to myself to think. The sun had already gone down by the time I left the hotel. Night was over my head and the cool breeze made it nice walk out. I looked left and right at the streets. Lights from shops that had just been and neon signs brightened the dark night and food vendors with their stands made fresh batches of food, fanning the smell to attract customers. I stopped by one and sampled their tteokbokki. After deciding on what I wanted, I ordered. "I'll have some tteokbokki, one bungeoppang, and one eumok."

"Coming right up," said the man. As I was waiting, I looked at the stores behind me and one had caught my eye.

"Here you go sir," said the man. I took the bag and handed him a couple of bills. 

"Keep the change," I said and walked away. The store that caught my eye wasn't a far away walk. I stared passed the clear, glass windows to the displays right in front of me. It was a jewelry shop. In each of their displays held various types of rings, necklaces, earrings, and many more. My eyes wandered off to where the rings were at and my eyes became sad. I thought back to my conversation earlier with Ha Neul.

Have you ever wanted to run away? If you had the chance to run away, would you?

I pressed my hands against the cold glass and rested my forehead on it.

You've always wanted to decide your life for yourself, and now you have the chance to.


DUNDUNDUUUUUUUUN.

Honestly I don't know what that was for.