My Best Friend

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Miyeon's POV*

Once the bell rang signaling the end of break and the start of second period, I hurried back to class. The teacher wasn’t even there yet and many other students were late as well so I started to relax. I took my seat which was located near the windows and sat down. I turned my body around and looked at the desk behind me. It was empty.

 
“Where’s Sandeul?” I wondered. He’s never late for class. I started worry. 
 
The teacher came in and more students filed in the classroom, but my best friend wasn’t among them.
 
As the teacher took her place at the front of the classroom, she picked up a piece of chalk and started writing on the board. Everyone started taking down notes except me. I was too worried about my naïve friend. 
 
I looked around for him and saw a figure at the door, which I identified as my friend Sandeul. I was about to yell at him then I remembered I was in the middle of class. I looked at him and he mouthed something to me which I think meant, “Is the teacher looking?” I looked at our teacher and she was too busy writing on the board. I gestured for him to hurry inside the class.
 
Quickly, but quietly, he made his way into the class, ducking behind students. He took his seat behind mine and at that same moment, the teacher turned around. She scanned the room suspiciously and her eyes rested on my side of the room. She folded her arms and said, “Junghwan, have you been in the classroom ever since the bell rang?”
 
Everyone turned to look at Junghwan, Sandeul, and so did I. He looked nervous, but he calmly said, “Yes seonsaengnim.”
 
She nodded but I doubted she believed him. Sandeul was a good student so I think she just let it slide for now.
 
When our class was able to get sometime for ourselves I turned my chair around and faced Sandeul. I rested my arms on his desk and leaned forward. “What happened? You’re never late to class.”
 
The smile he had on slowly disappeared, “Well…”
 
My smile dropped as well. “Don’t tell me,” I said in realization. “They did not!”
 
“Just ignore it. Please.”
 
“How can I ignore my best friend being bullied?” I exclaimed.
 
My friend hid his face in his hands, “I knew I shouldn’t have told you.”
 
I removed his hands from his face, “No. it’s good that you told me so that I can protect you.”
 
“Please, Miyeon. Don’t do this. I don’t want you to get involved with my father’s affairs,” he pleaded. 
 
“It’s too late,” I leaned back on my chair. “You told me yourself, and now, as your best friend, I’m going to protect you.”
 
Sandeul looked at me and laughed, “Fine. There is no way to stop you once you put your mind to something.”
 
I laughed and we end up laughing together. So to fill you in if you’re lost, Sandeul (or whose real name is Junghwan) and I have been best friends since elementary when we helped each other out. One day when he was being picked on by the some upperclassmen, I was watching afar. I was just going to ignore it but I saw the look in his eyes -- he was about to cry. And he was doing a great job at holding it back. Couldn’t stand it any longer, I put my foot down and defended him. I said some pretty mean stuff to those boys. After that, Sandeul felt like he was ‘in debt’ to me. He’s been following me around since, and he was able to pay me back one day when I almost got kidnapped…
 
“Miyeon!” Sandeul said, snapping his fingers in front of my face. “You okae?”
 
“Yeah I’m fine. I was just dozing off.” 
 
We sat there in silence for awhile, not knowing what to say. “So what did they do to you this time?” I finally said.
 
“Huh? Oh, nothing much.” he said. He was avoiding my eyes. I knew he was lying. 
 
“Gojitmal!”
 
“I’m not! They were just saying the usual to me. Calling me names and such. It’s no big deal.”
 
I looked at him doubtfully, “Well if you say so. But if they do any physical harm to you, tell me. Arasseo?”
 
Sandeul smiled, “Arasseo.”
 
We sat there smiling at each other. It has always been like this, I have his back and he has mine. Best friends forever, partners in crime, like Bonnie and Clyde.
 
“Aish, if you two like each other s much, just go out already,” said a familiar voice.
 
We both turned to the person standing next to us.
 
“Yejun!” I was surprised. “What are you doing here?”
 
“It’s lunch time,” he said a-matter-of-factly.
 
I looked around and he was right. Everyone in class had either went to the cafeteria to eat or stayed in class and munch on their lunch boxes their moms made for them. I didn’t realize how much time flew by. I didn’t even hear the bell ring.
 
“For how long now?” asked Sandeul.
 
Yejun looked at his wrist watch, “About five minutes.”
 
“Wow, I never knew how much time passed by,” I said.
 
My younger brother, Yejun, pulled a chair and joined us. “Because you two are just so infatuated with each other.”
 
I blushed “Ya! What are you talking about!”
 
“Y-yeah! Don’t be stupid!” Sandeul added. I looked over to him and he was blushing as well.
 
“Ehh, I wonder how long you two will be in denial. But then again, you’ve been friends for years, so I’m not surprised.”
 
I got up from my seat and was about to hit him, “Ya!”
 
Yejun jumped from his chair and danced away, “Bye-bye noona! Bye Sandeul hyung!”
 
I scowled, “Yejun, I don’t know what he’s thinking.” I looked at Sandeul. “We’re just friends right?”
 
He hesitated, “Uh, yeah…”
 
I sat back down. “What’s wrong?”
 
“Nothing!” he said putting his hands up. “I’m just taken back by what he said.”
 
“Hey let’s go buy food and eat on the roof?” Sandeul suggested.
 
I agreed. We both got up from our seats and went to eat lunch. 

I kinda rushed it in the end. Is it too noticable? Well, now that I have introduced all the main characters, their lives will start intertwining with each other starting in chapter 4! :D