A White Beauty

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Jinyoung's POV*

I the zipper and pulled out the paper I picked up earlier when I bumped into Ai. I recalled the scene in my head:

Ai began picking up the papers that had scattered on the floor. I was about to walk away, but felt bad about just leaving her there. I bent down to help her when I noticed a piece of paper at my feet. I picked it up and looked at it. When I noticed what it was, I quietly slipped the paper in my bag with Ai’s back turned to me. “I doubt she would notice that one paper had gone missing. Maybe in the future she will, but not right now.” I thought. I then resumed helping her pick up the rest of the papers.

I got off my bed and walked to my desk. I sat down and placed the paper flat on the desk. I adjusted my desk lap so that the light was focused on the paper. I picked it up and examined it. What was printed on the paper was a chart with a list of names and numbers.

I read the first name on the first column. “Jang Jaegyu,” I read aloud. On the next column on the same line was another name Jang Ga Eun. Why does that name sound so familiar? I thought about it for awhile and then it finally hit me. How could I forget that name? My dad mention’s it every meeting he has with me. I could hear the detest in his voice when he says ‘Jang Ga Eun’. My dad really hated him. 

I look back at the two names. Jang Jaegyu and Jang Gaeun… Could Jang Jaegyu be his son? I continued reading the rest. On the third column of the same line was a number. “One million won…” I read aloud. “Why so much money?”

I read the next line and the name I read was very familiar to me. “Kwang Ai,” I said. The first column must be names of students. The name next to hers and it was the same name like the first one. Jang Ga Eun. The number that was next to is read 500,000 won. What do these numbers mean?

I read the list of names and numbers on the list. I didn’t know what the numbers meant but I knew what the names were. The first list of names were students. The second list were names of hotel owners. How can I tell? I could recognize a few names here and there. Including my father’s own. Jung Jaemin. His name appeared two times on the list. Another name that was very familiar to me was Lee Seonu. My father detested him too. Even more that Jang Ga Eun. My father always tells me how much the Lee family are evil people that cannot be trusted. I never knew what he meant though. He never told me and I never asked.

I searched the paper if there was anything else that can help me figure out what the list meant, but there was nothing else there. Just a chart full of names and numbers.

What does this list mean? And how come my father’s name is in it? What are these amounts of money for? 

I heard a knock at my door. "Jinyoung-ah! Dinner is ready!" My mom called from outside.

"Coming eomma!" I slipped the paper back into my bag and rushed downstairs for dinner

***

I walked up the hill to where Jihwan High was located at. There were other ways to get to Jihwan High but I like taking this route because I can view the white cherry blossoms. On either side of me were cherry blossoms lined up that start from outside the school gates to the outskirts of the city of Seoul. It was a beautiful site. It felt like being inside a beautifully painted artwork. I took a breath of fresh air and quickened my pace. I finally reached the school gates where teachers stood, lecturing students to wear their uniform properly or how they need to come in more early. Since I was new, I was excused.

I entered the building and made my way up the stairs to the third floor and walked to the end of the corridor where room 3203 was located. I walked inside and took my seat. I checked the time on my watch. Three minutes till the bell rings. 

The bell finally rang and students start rushing into their seats as the teacher came in. Once everyone was settled down, Moon seonsaengnim clapped her hands. "Okae students, we are having class outdoors today!"

A roar of cheers filled the room.

"Settle down now. We will be taking a little trip the the white cherry blossom tress outside the school. When we get there, we are going to sit there and stare at the cherry blossoms until we are inspired to write something out of it." she paused to see if the students were listening and it seemed like they were. She continued, "I want you all to write a poem inspired by the cherry blossoms. It can be about anything. You can write about an event in your life, a special person. Just as long as its inspired by the cherry blossoms. Are you all excited?"

Cheers seem to fill the room and Moon seonsaengnim seemed satisfied. In my opinion, it seems like the only reason they were smiling is because they get to go outside for a change.

"Now let me assign you to your groups," Moon seonsaengnim announced.

The once bright mood has now died down.

"Oh don't be too depressed, now I will start calling out the groups and the group members." She picked up a piece of paper and began reading it aloud, "Group number one: Lee Taekyung, Kim Haneul, Kwon Sumi, and Seo Jihyun."

She continued calling out the rest of the groups and I waited for my name to be called. Around me, I heard some people complain their disappointments that they couldn't be in the same group with their friends. Others who were fortunate high-fived each other.

"Group four," Moon seonsaengnim continued. "Consists of Song Soyoung, Yuh Jin Ah, Jung Jinyoung, and Heo Minhyuk."

My ears perked up by the call of my name. So I'm in group four, I thought. I didn't even know who were the other people in my group.

Once our teacher was finished calling the groups, she old us to wait outside the hallway and get into our groups. I walked outside with the others and while the other students were getting into our groups, I was standing around like a lost idiot. I was about to ask people if I was in there group when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a male behind me. He had dark black hair and was a few inches taller than me so I had to look up at him.

"You're Jung Jinyoung right?" he asked.

"Yes."

"I'm Heo Minhyuk," he said. "Follow me."

I didn't ask any questions and did what I was told. I followed him to the middle of the line where two girls were waiting for him. "I found him," Minhyuk said.

One of the girls turned around. She was tall, I think about the same height with Minhyuk, but maybe slightly taller. "Annyeonghaseyo," she greeted. "My name is Yuh Jin Ah."

"Jung Jinyoung imnida," I introduced myself. 

Jin Ah tapped the other girls shoulder and she turned around. I saw to my surprise that it was the girl that showed me to the teachers' office yesterday. I remember her storming off, leaving me in the teachers' office. However, today she looked at me like it was the first time seeing me. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Song Soyoung," she said, bowing a little.

I bowed as well, "I'm Jung Jinyoung." I said. Or more like stuttered actually, but no one seemed to notice.

I saw Moon seonsaengnim rush to the front of the line and clap her hands. "Okae students! Quiet down! Classes are going on right now. Please form a single, straight line."

Everyone began squeezing in and pushing past each other to get in line. Once that was done, we followed Moon seonsaengnim down the stairs, out the school, past the school gates, and to the white cherry blossom trees I walked by this morning.

Moon seonsaengnim assigned each of us to a different spot. Group four was assigned the farthest area from the school. I like it though. The trees here were much more beautiful. There was much more flowers and I love how the petals fall in this area.

Me and my group mates reached our spot and we all sat apart from each other. The reason for putting us into groups was so that we can help each other out, but it seems like no one in my group wanted help. I chose a spot that was closest to the trees. I swept some dirt from the sidewalk before I sat down. 

I opened my notebook to a blank page, clicked some lead out of my pencil, and looked up at the cherry blossom trees. Hoping to get inspired. I sat there for what felt like ten minutes, but nothing came to mind. I leaned back and placed my hands on the sidewalk. I tried looking at the tree in different angles, but nothing came to mind. I looked at the others to see if they wrote something. Jin Ah was writing down on her notebook, looking up at the flowers once in awhile. Minhyuk was erasing what he just wrote. Judging by the expression he has, and the pressure he put on the eraser, he must not have been satisfied. I then looked at Soyoung who was staring at the cherry blossoms. I checked her notebook, and just like mine, it was blank.

She noticed me staring at her and looked at me. She followed my gaze to her notebook and closed it.

"What? It's not like you had anything written down."

She gestured to my paper, "You're the one to talk."

I covered my paper with my arms and turned to face the tree again. I sat there for another ten minutes, staring blankly at the cherry blossom tree and my blank piece of paper. Not a single word was written on it. I ruffled my hair in frustration.

"Aish..." I turned to look at the others. Jin Ah was reading her work. Her nodding must mean that she's satisfied with what she wrote. Minhyuk was still erasing, blowing the shavings off his paper. I turned around to look at Soyoung. Unlike me, she had already begun writing.

Ughh....

I suddenly remembered. We were assigned to groups to help each other. I got up and walked over to Jin Ah. She noticed my presence and closed her notebook. She stared forward, ignoring my existence. I walk over to Minhyuk and kneeled beside him. "So what did you write?"

"Sshh, writing," was his response. And just like Jin Ah, he ignored me. I quietly scowled at him and got up. I looked at Soyoung who was staring at the cherry blossoms for some time. She looked back to her notebook and continued writing.

I walked over to Soyoung and sat down beside her. She jumped from my presence but ignored me. Just like everyone else. I was starting to get irritated.

"Ya! We're suppose to be a group. We're suppose to help each other out."

"The others don't seem to want help," she said. Her eyes were focused on her poem.

I looked at the other two. It was true. It seemed like they want nothing to do with each other, including Soyoung. They were so reserved and quiet. Great idea for the teacher to put them together.

I looked back at Soyoung. "Well never mind them. They won't even look at me. At least you made an effort to talk to me."

She sighed, "What do you need help with?"

I held up my blank paper to her. A small "Ohh..." escaped and she nodded.

"What did you write?" I asked, leaning over to look at her poem. She faced her notebook away from me.

"It's private...

"Aww come on! How are you suppose to help me then?"

She sighed. I think she even rolled her eyes. But when she talked, she kept her composure. "Look at the cherry blossoms. Do they remind you of something? An event that happened in your life? A person that's important to you? Or you can write what they make you feel. Happy? Sad?"

I stared at the tree. An event that happened in my life? There was none. A person that's important to me? There was no such thing. How do they make me feel? I think back to this morning.

"Sanctuary."

"Huh?"

"Sanctuary," I repeated. "I feel calm and at peace. Like nothing can go wrong when I stare at them."

Soyoung looked at me and nodded. "There you go, you have something to write about." sbe smiled.

I looked back at her and our eyes met. She quickly turned away. "What did you write?" I asked again. Instead of saying now, she moved her notebook towards me. I read her poem that was titled "As They Fall"

A light that fades as I near it.

A memory that is now a dream.

We danced through the meadow,

With the petals fall around me.

Like a bird that was set free,

I let it all go.

I spun in circles, and day turned to dusk,

As the sky turned red and reflected on the grass.

I fell like the white petals to the ground,

And watched as night passed over me.

I woke to the light and see you by my side.

You told me forever,

But forever was no more.

I drift off, hoping to relive that dream.

But I wake up to a blossom less tree.

"Wow."

"Wow? That's it?" she asked me, grabbing the notebook from my grasp.

"Ahh! No, I mean. That was really good. You're a really good writer."

I saw Soyoung blush a little, "Gomawo."

We sat there for another few minutes before Soyoung spoke again, "So do you have an idea on what you're going to write?"

I looked at her and then back to the cherry blossom tree. "Yup" I said with a big smile on my face. I picked up my pencil and began writing.

*Soyoung's POV*

Our class walked back to the school gates ten minutes before the bell rang for break.

"Aww come on! I let you read my own!" I whined, trying to grab Jinyoung's notebook. He raised it above his head. Even though I tried stretching my arms to grab it, he was just much taller than me.

"No. You made me read yours because I needed help. You don't need help, now do you?" Jinyoung said with a smile.

"Ugh. You're no fun," I pouted.

I heard Jinyoung laugh which made me smile.

"You're not all that quiet are you?" Jinyoung asked all of a sudden.

I looked at him surprised, "Well, yeah..."

"Well, you seem really quiet and reserved, but now that I'm actually talking to you, you're not that bad."

I sighed, "I just don't like talking aloud."

I didn't hear a response from Jinyoung but I saw him nod his head from the corner of my eye.

"What about you?" I asked. "How are you like in class?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. I really don't talk much. But if I make a lot of friends, I can be pretty talkative. I'm pretty friendly actually."

"How were you like at your other school?" I asked, getting curious.

I continued walking but I didn't feel his presence next to me. I turned around to see that he stopped walking. He was looking at the ground, but his eyes were distant.

I walked back to him and waved my hand in front of his face. "You okae?"

Jinyoung broke from his trance, "Huh? Oh yeah... Just got lost for a second there."

We resumed walking. "So?" I asked. We were already at the entrance of the school.

"So what?"

"How were you like at your old school?" I repeated my question.

I heard him sigh, "Well, I was pretty talkative. I had plenty of friends in my class and from other classes."

"You must have been popular."

"Not really."

"It must have been hard transferring schools. Especially since this is your last year of high school. You must miss your friends." We were finally going up the stairs. The straight line Moon seonsaengnim wanted was no longer existent. 

"Not really," Jinyoung replied with an emotionless tone.

"Chincha? Waeyo?"

"Well," he paused. "Maybe some of them weren't really my friends in the first place."

I looked at him. Just like how there was no emotion in his voice, there was none in his expression.

"Oh... I was curious to know what he meant by that, but I didn't ask. It must be personal.

We finally reached the classroom and everyone filed to their seats.

Moon seonsaengnim took her place at the front of the class and clapped her hands. "Okae students, I hope you all wrote something. I want you to go over it and make any corrections, revise it, and have your final draft ready by tomorrow. I don't want it any later than that." the bell rang signaling the end of first class and the start of break.

I put my notebook away in my bag and got up to use the restroom and visit my friends from the other classes. I was about to get up from my seat when Jinyoung sat on the seat in front of me and rested his arms on my desk.

"May I help you?"

Jinyoung said nothing but looked at me. It freaked me out honestly. "Well if you don't have any questions, I'll be going." I got up from my seat but Jinyoung grabbed my wrist.

"Okae, what is up with you and grabbing my wrist?"

Jinyoung realized what he was doing and let go of me, "Oh... mianhae."

"It's okae," I rubbed my wrist. "So is there anything you want to say to me?"

He just stared at me. Okae. This feels uncomfortable. "I'll be going now." I was about to leave but Jinyoung's voice stopped me.

"You remind me of someone," he said, looking in the distance.

I didn't know what he meant by that so I just nodded my head, "O... Okae." I stared at him. It may just be me, but he looked a little sad. I wanted to ask him what's wrong but I notice people staring at us. I saw a few whispering to each other. I hate it when people give me looks and whisper things about me. Especially when they're doing it right in my face. 

"Well, I'll be going now." said my goodbye and left the classroom


Finally~ I would have gotten this chapter up sooner, but my computer screen broke and all my stories are saved onto there and right now I'm using my sister's laptop so yeah... :P

So what do you think so far? Please give me some feedback~ >< Oh and how do you like Soyoung's poem? I wrote that myself ;D

I'll try having chapter 6 up by later on today or tomorrow~ :3