Terrible Fathers

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Wooyoung’s POV*

I walked hand in hand with my little sister Yoobin. She kept jumping around telling me how much fun she had today. Along the way home she told me that she thought Ai was pretty and asked me if she was my girlfriend. I smiled and told her no. 

“Well I hope you can be good friends with her because Yoobin wants to play with unnie again!” was what she replied. 

I just laughed it off and pushed the gates to our house open. We walked up the stone pathway and knocked on the door.

“Oppa how come you’re knocking?”

I scratched my head, “Ah, well… Oppa forgot his keys. Haha.”

The door swung open and the house maid was waiting for us. “Good evening Mary noona,” I greeted.

Mary didn’t look at me but just said, “The master has been waiting for you two. Go wash up and meet him in the kitchen.” She closed the door and scurried off to the living room. I stared after her perplexed. For a maid, she always had a positive attitude. It’s a hard job, but I think she enjoys being a maid. Father pays her a lot and gives her free meals from time to time. She lives in one of the spare rooms in our house. She’s like family. 

The thing that was bugging me was her attitude at the moment. She seemed a bit down and scared. I felt a bit worried myself. I wonder what father wanted. I bent down to reach Yoobin’s eye level. “Hurry and wash up. We don’t want to keep father waiting.”

Yoobin nodded and ran up the stairs. I followed after her, taking my time. I headed straight for my bedroom, which already held a bathroom. I didn’t do much washing. I just washed my face and changed out of my uniform. I met the rest of the family in the kitchen and just like Yoobin said, a big feast was sitting at the table.

I took my seat with my mouth hanging open. “Woah… appa you made all of this?”

My father who sat on the other side nodded. “Yup. I took some time off work to prepare this for you guys.” He opened his arms wide and had a big smile on his face. “Dig in!” 

“Yay!” Yoobin squealed and literally dug into the food. I picked up my chopsticks and began eating. I took a bite out of the crab that was sitting next to me. My eyes opened wide as I chewed it. “This is amazing!” 

My father laughed. “Well eat as much as you want. And don’t walk with your mouth full. It’s disgusting.”

I chuckled and grabbed a napkin to wipe my mouth. I took another bite of the crab and put some kimchi in my rice.

In was about ten minutes into our dinner when father made the announcement. 

“Big news everyone!” My father said with his big voice. We all stopped eating and looked at my father. “This Friday, we will be attending a party!”

“Don’t we always?” I said.

My father shook his head. “No no my son. This party is different from other parties. This party is going to be held with all the owners of top Korean hotels!”

“Yeobo,” my mother said softly. I dropped my chopsticks into my bowl and it made a sound as it hit the metal. My sister just chewed her food and stared at her father, like the clueless one she is.

My father looked at us, “What? I thought you would be more excited. Not everyone is invited to these things.”

My mother sighed, “I thought you quit the hotel business. I thought you said it was too much for you and that you wanted to live a quiet life.”

This time is was my father’s turn to sigh, “I know. But Seonu gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse. He said he’ll take me back to work as his CEO.” his face became dark.

“And how is that an offer you can’t refuse? We’re doing fine on our own.” my mom snapped. The tension started to build. 

“About that,” my father took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “The restaurant’s losing money.”

That’s when the snow storm brew over. Even Yoobin stopped eating. I felt as if my heart stop beating and my mother looked like she was about to faint. 

“What do you mean the restaurants losing money?” she asked between breathes. 

“We might become bankrupt,” my father blurted out. This time my mother really did look like she was going to faint. I got up and went to her. “Eomma…”

“Seonu came by the other day,” my father continued talking. “We went drinking and I guess I accidentally told him our current situation. The next day he called me and offered to come back to his hotel and work as his CEO again. He even said that I can take over one of his hotels.”

“And if you refused his offer?” I asked bitterly.

My father flinched, “The restaurant will close down and we’ll lose the house.”

My little sister gasped. “Appa…”

My father tried to calm us down, “Listen I know you’re worried about the restaurant. I’m worried too. But if we don’t do anything, we can lose everything we have. If I take his offer, we can keep the restaurant. Of course I need to find someone to run it since I won’t be there anymore. Oh and Wooyoung, you’ll be learning how to run a hotel with Seonu’s son. In case I really do take over one of his hotels, maybe you can-“

“No!” I yelled. I gave my father a glare and immediately regret it after I saw his expression. “Excuse me,” I muttered and dashed out the kitchen and into my bedroom. 

*Jinyoung’s POV*

It was one of those rare dinners where my father actually sat and ate with us. And usually when this happens, he wants something from me or he wants me to do something. And as usual, I’m right.

“A party?” I asked.

My father nodded, “It’s just a gathering with all the hotel owners in South Korea. And as one of the top hotel businesses, we must attend. It’s formal attire. Where that suit I gave you last Christmas.”

I nodded. It was the only thing that I can do. I can’t refuse. I can’t decline. I can’t have my own word. I can never go against my father’s words. Only follow them.

My father continued to speak, “So remember, this Friday at 8:00 pm. Be sure to come home early.”

“Yes *abeogi,” I said and took another bite of my rice.

*Sandeul’s POV*

The atmosphere was tense. It was always like this without my mother around. She’s working late again. This was the third time this week. My father was busy telling me about some party we have to attend this Friday. 

“You got all that?” my father ask.

“Yes abeoji,” I replied. I drank water. It felt really awkward. I had a hard lump in my throat. It was hard asking, but I had to do it sooner or later. 

“Abeoji.”

“Yes?”

I took in a deep breath, “I heard that you took over Mr. Jang’s position.”

My father looked at me, “Well… yes. Where did you here that?”

“From Juwon.” I didn’t even need to explain. When I say Juwon, he knows who I’m talking about. 

“Well Juwon heard right. His father must have told him.”

“Yes,” I said. “That’s what he told me.”

“Have you been getting close with Juwon like I told you?” my father asked without even looking at me. 

I put my cup down and it made a thud. “It’s not that easy abeoji. Especially when the guy you’re asking me to become friends with is a total jerk.”

My father shot me a look. “I’m sorry” and looked down.

I heard him sigh. “Well it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m firing Mr. Kang anyways.”

My head shot up. Mr. Kang is Juwon’s father. “W- what? But why?”

My father took a bite of bulgogi, “He’s been slacking off lately. Plus I found my old CEO.”

Old CEO? Who is he talking about? It took me awhile before I recalled who he was talking about. My father’s old CEO is Jang Minwoo. However a couple of years ago he quit. I used to train with his son how to run a hotel, you know like every other son who’s father owns a hotel or some sort of business which eventually the child will take over, against their will or not. I remember thinking how lucky he was when his father quit and that he was free. I guess he isn’t so lucky anymore.

I wasn’t so fond of Juwon but I felt bad for him that his father will be losing his job. 

“Are you still hanging out with that girl? You should stop. People will get the wrong idea.” 

I stared at my father like he’s some new, weird species. “And what if I am?”

“It’s best to stop hanging out with her. Besides, I’ve arranged for you to meet the daughter of a friend of mine.”

I choked on my kimchi. “BOH! I AM NOT MEETING UP WITH ANY GIRL!”

My father shot me a look and I felt like running away. “What’s with that tone and attitude? You do not speak to your father like that!”

“And you do not tell your son who he should be friends with!” I snapped. 

Before I knew it, I felt a hot stinging feeling in my cheek. I saw my father next to me with a hand up. I felt tears in my eyes but I tried to hold it back. When I was in middle school and my father yelled at me, I ran crying to Miyeon. She told me that I shouldn’t cry in front of my father. It just shows that I’m weak and let’s my father push me around more. If I don’t want that, I have to show that I’m strong. 

“Yeobo…” It was my mother. I turned my head to the right and saw my mother standing in the kitchen doorway.

“Eomma…” I tried as best as I could but I already felt the tears slide down my cheek. 

My mother quickly walked up to me and pulled me away. I tried not to fall as she pulled me off my seat. She held me tight and patted my hair. 

“Yeobo what is this? How many times have I told you to not hurt Junghwan!” 

My father was expressionless. “He was rudely speaking to his father. As a good parent, I have to discipline the bad child.”

“Would you stop this! Stop pressuring him to do all these things for you! He’s just a baby!”

“He’s 17!” My father yelled. I blocked my ears with my hands. I hated it when my father yelled at me, but I hated it even more when he yelled at my mother. 

“Come on, Hwannie.  I’ll take you to your room,” my mother said softly. She patted my hair, trying to calm me down. Me and my mom walked out the room, leaving my father alone in the kitchen. 


Writing Sandeul's POV made me emotional for some reason. I don't know why xD And don't you hate parents like that? They tell you to do this and that and you can't even have your own say on how you feel. Those kinds of parents that decide your life for you. -____- I've been watching too many dramas lately.

*abeoji - Formal way of saying dad. Like "father". I'm not sure if that's entirely correct. I'm using Google and Google isn't so helpful all the time.