Strawberry Crepe

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Ai’s POV*

Just as planned, the student council held a meeting with Wooyoung and Hyun. We discussed the rules to the debate and their speeches. 

“Let’s go over this one more time,” I said. Wooyoung and Hyun listened attentively. “You will prepare your speeches and on Thursday, you will be presenting them on the school’s broadcasting station at 10:15 exact. Please be prompt.” I stopped and looked at the two candidates. “Any questions?”

They both shook their heads. “Okae then. I call this meeting to an end.” Everyone got up from their seats as I fixed the papers I was holding and slipped them in a folder. I placed it in my bag. 

“Ai.”

I turned around and see Wooyoung behind me. “Oh Wooyoung. You’re still here.”

“Yeah, I was thinking about walking to class together. Since we have each other anyways.” he said smiling. 

I repeated what he said in my mind and the inner me started jumping in joy. I kept on a poker face and smiled, “Okae.” I flung my bag over my shoulder and I walked out the room with Wooyoung.

“So how are you feeling?” I asked him.

He sighed, “Excited. But I’m nervous at the same time. This is the first time I’ve done something like this.”

“It’s alright! I know you’ll do fine!” I said with an encouraging smile. “Fighting!” 

He laughed. “Thanks. But you won’t play favorites now would you?” he joked. 

I laughed but in my mind I was saying something else. Well if I could I would rig it…

We reached the classroom and I sat on my seat while Wooyoung went to his seat on the other side. I expected him to be there already but he was standing next to me. He was staring at my seat then looked back to his seat.

“Is there a problem?” I put my bag down.

He looked back and forth between my seat and his. “I never realized how far apart are seats are.”

I blushed, “Uh… yeah.” 

“Wooyoung!” his friend called from across the room.

“Oh there you guys are!” he said. He turned to me, “So I’ll talk to you later?” 

I nodded. He waved bye and had a big smile on his face. It was hard for me not to smile back. “Bye,” I waved back. He ran to his friends at the corner of the room and I watched him talk to his friends. I wonder what it’s like to talk to him. Not just simple talk, but actually talk, talk. It would be nice to become friends with him…

“AI!” someone yelled in my ear. I jumped back and looked at the small girl next to me.

“YA! Lee Ji Eun! What was that for!” I yelled.

“Aww, don’t be so yelly in the morning~” she pouted. 

I eyed her, “You’re lucky you’re cute.” 

Ji Eun laughed. “And you’re lucky you’re my best friend.”

“And why is that?”

She pulled out tickets from her pocket. “TADA!” 

I stared at it with my mouth opened, “Omo. How did you get those? They sold out in just a minute!”

“My oppa got it for me,” she beamed. She handed me my ticket and I took it.

“So we’re going to Big Bang’s special reunion concert?”

“Yup!” 

Me and her started squealing and jumping up while people stared at us. But we didn’t care.

“You are the bestest friend in the world!” I said and gave her a bear hug.

“Aigoo~ You’re going to crush me,” Ji Eun murmured. 

I let go of her. “Mianhae.” I patted her head.

“Ya!” she smacked my hand away. “I am not a dog!” 

“Whatever you say,” I sang. I sat down on my desk and Ji Eun sat down on her desk, which was just right in front of me. She was staring at me with a serious expression but somehow I couldn’t take her seriously.

“Yes?”

“Have you told Wooyoung you liked him?”

“BOH? Are you crazy woman?” I screamed. Again people were staring. “Choesonghamnida.”

“You’ve been liking him for more than a year now. Shouldn’t you at least be friends with him?”

I smirked, “Well I’m gonna.”

Ji Eun’s face perked up, “Chinchayo? How?”

“He’s one of the two candidates to be student council president!” I squealed softly.

“Omo! That means if he wins, then you can be on the student council together!”

“I know!” me and Ji Eun started squealing quietly. She was the only person who didn’t find my squealing and fangirling weird. Because she does the same also. “And what’s great is that we’re already starting to talk! Like yesterday after school and this morning we walked together to class”

“Omo! I’m so happy for you!” 

“Okae class get to your seats,” the teacher interrupted. Everyone ran to their seats and Ji Eun turned her back to me to face the front. I looked to my left and saw Wooyoung pulling his chair out and sitting down. I thought about the short time we spent together today and yesterday and a small smile crept on my face.

***

I opened the door to the shop and a strong aroma of freshly baked bread filled my nose. Wow that smells amazing. I made my way to the back of the shop where employees are only allowed. I saw that two of the bakers that work here are in the kitchen already.

“Oh Ai, you’re here early,” said Suzy.

“There was no meeting today so I decided to come here.” I put down my bag and went to the locker room. I put in the combination for my locker and the door swung open. I pulled out my uniform and put it on. I joined Suzy once I was done changing.

“Oh by the way, we’re going to have a new person working here,” said Junho, the other baker. 

“Really? I didn’t know halmoni was looking for someone,” I said, surprised. 

“She wasn’t actually,” Junho continued. “Apparently the new girl knows halmoni. Yesterday she came into the shop and saw halmoni. She was looking for a job and halmoni gave her one. She’s going to be working at the cash register though.

“What’s her name?” asked Suzy.

“I believe her name is Soyoung? She goes to your school Ai,” said Junho.

“Really?” I tried to recall if I know anyone named Soyoung. “I don’t know anyone by that name.”

At that moment, the old woman who owned the shop walked into the kitchen and brought a girl who was the same age as me. She had long, layered black hair and she looked shy and timid. ”Everyone this is the new worker. She’s working here part-time at the cash register. Introduce yourself.”

Soyoung bowed, “Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Song Soyoung. I’ll try my best to work hard.” her voice was soft and barely audible.

“She’s a bit shy,” commenyed halmoni. “All three of these children are very friendly so don’t be scared to talk to them.”

Soyoung nodded, “Yes.”

Halmoni clapped her hands. “Okae you three get to work. I put in a batch of cream custards and bear bread in the oven. It should be done in 20 minutes so keep an eye out for that. You all know what you’re suppose to do so get a move on! Soyoung come with me.”

“Yes,” said Soyoung and she followed halmoni back to the front of the store.

I turned back to Suzy and Junho, “Let’s get to work everyone!”

***

The bear bread and cream custards had finish baking and I was arranging them into the red trays to be brought out to the store. I walked out to the store with one tray in my left hand and the other tray on my right. I walked to a clear showcase shelf and slide the trays onto the shelf. I noticed Soyoung at the cash register and she seemed to be having a hard time figuring it out.

I walked over to her, “Do you need any help?”

She waved her hands, “Ahh! No it’s okae. I got this… I think.”

I rolled my eyes, “What’s the problem?”

“There’s no more register tape.”

“Then replace it.”

“I don’t know how.”

I gave her a look that says “are you kidding me?” “Didn’t halmoni teach you how to use the cash register?”

“Yes but she didn’t teach me how to replace the tape,” she kept her head down, too embarrassed to look at me. 

“Press the gray button on the side,” I said. I didn’t want to do it for her because she had to learn for herself. 

She checked the side of the register, “I don’t see anything.”

I moved her aside and found the gray button right away. “It’s right there,” I said pointing at it. 

“Wha… that’s a button?” she said with amazement. 

I was dumbfounded, “Yes. Why, what did you think it was?”

She looked away from me and started fiddling with her fingers while looking down, “I thought it was a sticker.”

My jaw literally dropped, Is this girl serious? I rolled my eyes. “It’s okae. You’re new. Press the button and this part here will open. If there’s any remaining tape, take it out and put the new tape in and just close it shut. Okae?”

She did what I told her without and problems. A look of accomplishment spread across her face. She gave me a thumbs up and I gave her one too. “Well I’ll be going now.”

“Okae,” she said. She didn’t look twice at me. I rolled my eyes and went back to baking. 

***

“I’m going now!” I called.

“See you tomorrow Ai!” Suzy said. She was cleaning the windows but stopped to wave at me. I waved back and left the shop. I walked down the side walk and felt my stomach rumble. 

“Baego payo,” I pouted. I walked into the nearest supermarket and bought myself a drink and some snacks. I decided to go to the park and eat there. I walked to an empty bench and sat there. I began eating my snacks and watched little kids play on the playground and people walk there dogs. Then I noticed some couples around the park which reminded me how forever alone I am. 

“All these couples… ugh can’t they choose somewhere else to spend their romantic time together?” 

“Ai? Is that you?” said a familiar voice.

I froze up, scared to turn around, but at the same time I wanted to. Did he just heard what I said? I hung my head in embarrassment. When I looked up I saw Wooyoung looking down at me.

I tried to act normal, “Ah, Wooyoung. I didn’t know you were here.”

“I didn’t expect to see you either,” he smiled and took a seat next to me. “What are you doing here anyways?”

“I just finished working and felt hungry. I went here to eat. What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I was taking my little sister to play,” he said looking at the playground.

“You have a little sister? I didn’t know that?” I looked to the playground. “Where is she?”

“She’s the one on the slide over there. Wearing a pink dress with a bow headband.”

I spotted a girl with the description he gave me. She slid down the red slide and once she reached the bottom she was laughing with joy. Her short black hair was tied into a ponytail and she had chubby cheeks just like her older brother. 

“Kyaa! She’s so cute! What’s her name?” I turned back to Wooyoung. 

“Yoobin. She’s in first grade.”

I looked back to Yoobin. “Wahh. She’s so cute! She has the same chubby cheeks like you.” I just realized what I said and covered my mouth. I turned back to him, “I mean…”

He laughed, “It’s okae. Everyone tells me that. I think I got these adorable cheeks from my mom.” he pinched his cheeks and smiled. I laughed which caused Wooyoung to laugh too.

“What are you eating?” he pointed to my food.

“Oh, just some chips.”

“Taste bad?” he asked.

I wasn’t sure but when I took a bite out of the next piece, I see what he meant. The chips were too cheesy and had a bitter taste to it. I never realized how bad it was because I was with Wooyoung. I spit it out in a napkin. “Bleh. Well that’s a waste of six thousand won.” I got up and throw away the bag in a trashcan. I walked back to the bench. I stuck out my tongue in disgust. “Bleh. Now I have a cheesy bitter taste in my mouth.”

I saw Wooyoung looking somewhere else and smiled. He got up and grabbed my hand. “Here. Let me get you something to get rid of that bad taste.” I followed him and he led me to a small ice cream stand. “One strawberry crepe,” he asked the vendor. While the vendor was making the crepe, Wooyung was still holding onto my hand. I touched my cheek and I felt it getting hot. I hope my face wasn’t too red.

“Here you go,” the vendor handed Wooyoung the crepe and Wooyoung handed the vendor his money. “Keep the change.” The vendor hesitated for awhile, he must have not expected that. He smiled and thanked Wooyoung. “Thank you.”

Still holding my hand, Wooyoung handed me the crepe. “Try it. It’s good.” He stood there smiling, waiting for me to eat it. I took a bite and my eyes grew wide.

“Wow this is amazing!” I took another bite and felt the cold of the ice cream in my mouth and the smoothness of the whip cream on my tongue. After a couple of minutes of eating it, the bad taste of the chips were gone. 

“You liked it?” Wooyoung asked.

I gave him a thumbs up. “It’s really good! Thank you!”

Wooyoung smiled. “No problem. I had the same problem before. I ate the exact same chips you ate and then I ate the crepe from that vendor and it washed away the terrible taste of chips in no time.”

I looked back to the vendor. He was scooping ice cream into cones and handing it to little kids. “Does he come here on a regular basis? This is my first time seeing him here.”

“He moves around from place to place. He doesn’t really stay in one spot for a long time. But it’s smart.”

I looked at him confused. “Waeyo?”

Wooyoung leaned back on the bench. “Well, if he is here everyday and everyone buys from him every single day or every other day, eventually you get tired of his food and want something new right?” I nodded. “Well, he only stays in one place for a couple of days then after that, leaves to a new spot and sells there. He migrates. He only doesn’t sell ice cream, but snacks, and other food. His food are amazing and he makes it all himself.”

I nodded, understanding what he meant. “Wait. How do you know so much?” I asked, suddenly curious. 

He looked at me, “Oh well… there was a time where he sold near my house and I bought his dukbokki every day after school. He stayed in my area for two weeks. If his business does well in that area, he stays longer. I was a regular customer of his so we talked.

“Ohh.” I started imagining Wooyoung standing in line waiting eagerly to eat dukbokki. He and the vendor talking. Wooyoung is friendly with just about everyone huh?

“Oppa!” 

A little voice snapped me back to reality and saw a little girl in front of us. “Ahh! You’re Yoobin right? Annyeonghaseyo!”

Yoobin looked at me and smiled. Her cheeks puffed up and her eyes became smaller. “Annyeonghaseyo!” she bowed.

“Kyaa! You’re so cute!” I squealed.

Wooyoung laughed. “You want to keep her? She’s been annoying me these past few days.”

The little girl glared at her older brother. “Ya! I’m telling eomma!”

Wooyoung leaned close to her, “And what?” Yoobin pouted but Wooyoung just laughed. “Kidding. Is it time to go?”

Yoobin nodded roughly which made her ponytail fly up and back down. “Appa wants us home early. He said he made a huge feast for us!” she raised her arms up and laughed.

“Haha, okae kiddo,” Wooyoung got up and turned to me. “It was nice talking to you. See you tomorrow?”

“Well of course, we’re in the same class!”

We both laughed. “Well goodbye!” Wooyoung waved and I waved back. “Bye bye unnie!” said Yoobin.

I smiled, “Bye bye Yoobin! I hope we can see each other again.” Yoobin nodded.

I watched as Wooyoung and Yoobin walk away, Wooyoung holding Yoobin’s hand and Yoobin jumping up and down in excitement. I smile crept on my face. I leaned back on the bench and looked up at the sky. I had a big smile on and I’m pretty sure my face is as pink as a strawberry. Wait till I tell Ji Eun about this! I got up and happily skipped back home. 



I haven't updated in awhile~ Sorry I was gonna post it yesterday but I got pissed off and yeah... 

Is this chapter long? It felt long to me. I was gonna end it with Wooyoung's POV but I felt that it was too long :P Oh and for those who don't know Lee Ji Eun, Ai's best friend, is IU! :3 Some may not know her real name so just to inform you, yeah... xP

And can I just add that Wooyoung looks so cute in that picture? So squishy! >.< (Now I'm going to hide under a rock. Eomma please don't hurt me D:)