Not The Best Party

This Is What Fate Gives You

*Wooyoung's POV*

I stepped out of the small limousine and looked up at the huge mansion. It stretched for about five blocks. Surrounding the mansion was a tall, black fence lined with a small bush of flowers around it. Cars and limousines parked outside the front gate and a chauffeur would take their car to the garage. If this was just the house, how big was the garage? The reason for this party was to gather owners of various hotels. The one hosting the party, Kim Min Jun, had the biggest hotel business in South Korea, and had other branches all over the world. He was one of the most richest man in South Korea. The purpose for this was to have a good time, and get to know one another. But of course, various deals and business related means will also be conducted here. Secretly of course.

My father appeared next to me and put an arm around my shoulder. "Are you ready my son?"

I took another look at the large mansion. It was about three stories high and the pattern of windows decorated the white background. "Yeah." We were led across the big front lawn. To my right was a huge fountain with a statue of a Greek God in the middle. If my studies of Greek mythology paid off, that god would be Dionysus. God of wine, festivals, parties and other things along that line. He was standing in the middle of the fountain, on top of a platform. He was holding a bottle, but instead of wine spurting out from it, there was water. To my left was another water fountain with a statue of a Greek God. Athena I believe. Goddess of wisdom and battle strategy. She was carrying a shield with the head of the famous monster, Medusa. Her snake hair was shooting in different directions and was wide open with water dripping down from it. Not the best choice for a fountain. Instead of garden gnomes lining the walkway, it was small, stone satyrs. 

We walked up the flight of stairs leading to the entrance. The front doors were opened wide to welcome the guest. A man in his late 40s and a woman who was obviously way younger than him stood at the door greeting guests. My father and I approached them and they smiled. 

The man, Kim Min Jun, shook my father's hand then mine. The woman next to him smiled. "Ahh, Minwoo-sshi. It's great to know that you could make it!"

"I wouldn't miss such a big event," my father replied.

"Seonu-sshi tells me that you've come back to the hotel business. It was actually why he wanted me to invite you."

"Really now?" My father said with a hint of sarcasm, but Kim Min Jun didn't even notice. "Yes, I resumed working for Seonu just yesterday."

Kim Min Jun laughed. "Great! Welcome back then." He shook my father's hand and told us to go to the ballroom.

We followed the other guests who came before us and entered a vast ballroom. At one end, near the door, was a stage. Two lines of tables that held the food was on the other end. Between those were various tables with a couple of couches on the sides. Contrary to the smaller windows I saw at the front, this room had windows that reached from the floor to the ceiling. You could see the whole night sky through it. Hanging from the ceilings were four chandeliers that illuminated the room brightly. 

I walked inside and my eyes were glued to the food table. I my lips and stepped forward but my father caught my shoulder. 

He wiggled a finger. "No eating. At least not yet. I know you haven't been to these kinds of events for a long time, but it would be rude to not great the other guests."

I groaned but my father pushed me forward to a group of men in one corner. They stopped laughing when they noticed my father. They didn't look too happy to see him, but they managed a smile. 

"Minwoo!" One of them said. "I didn't think to see you here. How's everything?"

"I'm fine and it's nice to see you too. I actually got back into the business just yesterday."

The other man looked surprised. "Really? How?"

"My friend Seonu offered to take me back as his CEO," my father answered.

As my father talked to his old colleagues, my eyes wandered back to the food table. My touched my stomach and felt it grumble a little. 

*Sandeul's POV*

I stood near the window next to the small stage. My father was a few feet away from me talking to someone. I was getting impatient and even though I've only been here for thirty minutes, it was becoming unbearable. I wanted to smash my head against the window. 

My father finished talking and walked back to me. I gave him a look that obviously said I hated it here. My father glared at me.

"Don't give me that look. Do you want to create a scene?"

I rolled my eyes and looked away. He can't do anything unless he wants to ruin his image. I wanted to get out of here. At least for a few minutes. A waiter passed by holding a tray of half empty glass cups. An idea popped into my mind. 

"Abeoji," I said, trying to hide the nervousness in my voice.

"Yes?"

"Can I go use the restroom?"

My father gave me a suspicious look. 

I slumped over a bit and held my legs close together. "Yes. Really bad. I was going to use it before we leave but you were in such a hurry to leave the house."

My father gave a long suspicious look but waved his hand for me to go. "Make it fast and don't take any detours."

I bowed. "Thank you abeoji."

I fast walked away from him and continued my act of really needing to pee. A few people gave me weird looks, but I ignored them. 

*Jinyoung's POV*

I ed my blazer and loosened up the tie that was constricting my neck. I ed the first two buttons on my dress shirt and gasped for air like I hadn't breathe in minutes.

"Finally! I can breathe again!" I covered my mouth and looked around to see if anyone heard me. "Phew..." So my plan was to escape this party. My father was too busy talking to others that he barely notices that I'm gone. Like most of the time. I can't recall how many times I've sneaked out of parties and came back before my father found out. I was caught a few times and received an hour lecture from my father. But that didn't stop me from escaping the next party. 

I pressed my back against the mansion wall and slid across it, secret spy style. Rows of windows blocked my way so I decided to duck down and crawl along the grass. I made sure to stay low and hidden and hid my face. Good thing I was wearing a black suit. Whenever a car passed by, I would duck and go into a fetal position. I continued making my way across the side of the house until I found a spot in the fence where I could escape. Most of the rooms were unoccupied and dark. I passed by one window where a group of four men were discussing marketing ideas and making trades and deals. I made sure to be extra quiet passing that window. During my trip, my hands pressed a depression in the ground and I saw an arrow pass straight before my eyes. It stuck into the wall next to me, just a few centimeters before my eyes. I tried not to scream and panic. I bowed my head lower and passed the arrow. I was already at the backyard of the mansion when I found a good spot. 

The backyard was just as huge as the front yard. It was populated with statues and fountains of Greek Gods and monsters from Greek mythology. I've heard that Kim Min Jun, the owner of this mansion and host of this party, admires Greek mythology and takes after their ways of power and wisdom. Near the fence was a statue of a centaur. It stood straight and proudly. The centaur was holding a bow-and-arrow, just about ready to shoot his victim. I looked to see who it was pointed at, but there was no statue in particular. Although there was this one monster I believed was called a Harpie who had a terrified look on her face.

Still crouching low, I tip-toed my way over to the centaur. He was near the fence and I could use the platform he was on top of as a boost to pick myself up and jump over the fence. I ran towards the centaur and picked myself up. Once I was on the creature, I jumped onto the fence, hoping I wouldn't be seen. I climbed up as fast as I could and swung one leg over the fence. I was about to swing my next leg when I got caught.

"What are you doing?"

I was taken by surprised so much that I let go of the fence and fell back into the mansion grounds onto a bush. I groaned in pain and when I opened my eyes, a face was hovering over mine.

"It's a bunny," I muttered.

"What?" The other guy said. He backed away and I rolled off the plant. I brushed off the leaves and twigs. I checked to see if my suit was damage. Fortunately, there wasn't anything too noticeable. If there was, my father would have my head.

I stood up and looked at the boy who found me. He was the same age as me and had a face that resembled a bunny. 

"Were you trying to escape?" He asked.

"So what if I was? What are you going to do? Tell on me to the grown ups?" I fixed my tie and buttoned up my blazer.

"Actually I was going to tell you that it's not a good idea to jump over the fence. As much as I would love to escape this rat hole too, there's no way without getting caught." He walked passed me and stood next to the fence. "You see how there's a little space of ground outside the fence and the small plants after that?" He pointed the the ground that was right between the fence and the small ring of plants that circled the entire fence. "It's electrocuted there. You think it's just dirt, but it's metal underneath. Electrocuted 110%."

I stared at the ground in disbelief. "That's crazy." 

"True. But it is effective 100% of the time," the guy coughed and rubbed his arms. It was a bit cold tonight.

"How do you know all that though?"

"This isn't my first time here actually. I've been here plenty of times before. And just like you, I've tried to escape as well." He gave me a small smile. I was surprised actually. You don't meet too many nice people at this kinds of events. And even if they do act nice, it's just an act. I've seen so many of those kinds of people that I can tell if they're truly being nice or not. But this boy. He smiled and so did his eyes. Either he's a truly nice person or he's just very good at acting. 

"I'm surprised you didn't get caught by the y traps set all around the house though."

"y traps?"

"You didn't know?" He scanned his finger across the backyard. "They set up all kinds of traps in this place. I'm surprised you didn't get caught in one."

I thought back to when that arrow almost shot me. I shuddered at the thought. 

"I suggest we leave," the boy said. 

"Why?"

He pointed to the other side of the yard. I could see a spot of light getting bigger and bigger. 

"Let's go!" The boy pulled my arm and forced my head down.

"Ya! What was that for?" I snapped.

He shushed me. "Do you want to get caught?"

I shook my head.

"Then be quiet and stay low," he whispered. He crawled ahead of me and I followed. "Just follow my every move, and when I go a certain direction, follow. I know where all the traps are located."

I gulped but nodded. We made it back safely inside the mansion, not a single scratch on us. Well there was a small tear on the knee of my pants, and I prayed that my father wouldn't notice it.

We walked back inside the foyer and acted like nothing happened.

"You seem familiar," I said. "What school do you go to?"

"Jihwan High," he responded.

"Chincha? I go to Jihwan High too!"

"No way? What year?"

"Senior," I answered.

I never expected to see someone from my school here, honestly. This guy escapes crappy parties like this and goes to the same school as me. I guess he isn't so bad.

As we were talking I noticed some people staring at us and whispering stuff amongst themselves.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Junghwan. But you can call me Sandeul. You?"

"Jinyoung," I answered.

"Junghwan." A man appeared next to Sandeul and put a protective hand on his shoulder.

Sandeul looked at him. "Abeoji..."

"Well it looks like you've made some friends on your trip to the bathroom," Sandeul's father had cold eyes that seemed to pierce at you when he looked at you. "Come, there's some people I want you to meet." Sandeul's father pulled my new friend away while he was waving a silent goodbye. 

I mouthed goodbye and watched as Sandeul and his father disappeared into the crowd of business suits. At that moment, my father found me.

"There you were," he said. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Bathroom," I made up. 

"What were you doing in the bathroom that made you take twenty minutes?" He scolded.

I crouched forward and held my stomach. "I had a stomach ache," I said but my father wasn't listening. He was looking off in the distance. I tried to see what he was looking at but he pulled me away. He had a firm grip on my arm and I tried to pry his hand off. 

"Abeoji," I tried to wriggle free but he was too strong. He led me to a deserted hallway and let go of me. I rubbed my arm while my father glared at me. "What?" I snapped.

"What were you doing with that kid?" He asked me.

"Who?"

"The one you were with earlier!"

"Sandeul? Why what's wrong? I thought you wanted me to get to know people!"

"Out of all the people in this place, why him?"

"What's so wrong with him?"

"He's the son for Seonu. The Lee family!"

I repeated what he said in my mind. "W-what?"

"He's part of the Lee family! I will not have you making friends with those bastards!" 

I backed up a few feet until my back hit the wall. Mostly because my father was starting to scare. But he seemed like such a nice guy.

"Are you listening to me?"

I shook off my thoughts. "Yes."

"Never. And I mean, never, associate yourself with them ever again. You cannot trust them."

I hesitated but obeyed. Like I always did. "Yes abeoji."

My father straightened up and calmed down. "Well if you understand, then I want you to come with me. You're suppose to be learning about shares, and there's a guy who's planning on buying our shares."

My father walked ahead of me and I followed behind.

*Sandeul's POV*

We walked back into the ballroom and my dad ordered me to sit down. I did as I was told and he took a seat across from me. He stared me down and I started to feel uncomfortable. 

"Abeoji... Is there something wrong?" I asked. 

"Tell me," he said, obviously trying to hold back his anger. But why was he angry? "Tell me why, you were conversing with that child?"

"Child?"

"That kid you were talking to earlier."

Did he mean Jinyoung? I didn't talk to anyone else younger than me. "Are you talking about Jinyoung?"

My father chuckled. "So his name is Jinyoung. Jung Jinyoung. It has a nice ring to it actually."

"Abeoji, what are you taking about?"

My father turned back to me and his eyes were more cold and scary than ever. I felt a shiver go down my spine. Something that hadn't happened in a long time.

"I don't want you talking to that boy ever again."

"Why?"

"Because, he is the son of that back-stabbing bastard. I don't want you to talk to him. Don't even look at him."

I tried to make sense of what he was saying, but I couldn't understand it at all. Who is this "back-stabbing bastard"? 

At that moment, my father's friend came, and Wooyoung was with him. My father, who was full of anger earlier, calmed himself down and greeted him.

"Minwoo, you're here. Since when did you arrive?" The two shook hands.

"I arrived half an hour ago. I didn't see you though."

"Oh, I had some other business to attend to that's why." My father turned to me. "Junghwan, why don't you talk with Wooyoung?"

I stood up. "Yes abeoji." I turned to Wooyoung and smiled. He smiled back. 

"Minwoo," my father stepped closer and whispered something. I was looking another way, but I tried to listen on their conversation. "I think Jaemin is here."

Minwoo stepped back and looked at him in disbelief. He started to look around but my father stopped him. "Don't even bother! He betrayed us, because he's a greedy bastard."

"But... He was our friend before," Wooyoung's father started to say.

"Exactly, was our friend. As in, not anymore."

I looked at them suspiciously. Who were they talking about? I was about to ask when Wooyoung tapped my shoulder. 

"Hey, are you hungry?" He asked. 

"Uh, kind of. Do you want to go eat?" 

Wooyoung stood up. "I thought I'd never hear that," and ran towards the food table. 


Ughhh... I really liked how I started the chapter, but it just went downhill after that. -___- I was lazy and really didn't know what to write. This will probably be the last chapter before school starts. I won't stop writing, I just won't update as often. Maybe like every two or three weeks? OTL

I guess you can say I got lazy. Yeah... I didn't even bother to look for a picture for this chapter. OTL Give me feedback. I want to know what you guys think of my story so far!! >.<