Trying Harder

My Life is a Disney Movie
Please log in to read the full chapter

“So, we’re heading to the ice rink for Min Seok’s birthday, right?” Hyo Sung questioned me in front of my locker. I nodded, grabbing my math book and shutting it.

“Yeah, it’s on the day itself after school. Are you coming?” I glanced at her and she shrugged.

“Depends, I might have a meeting with my mother and my cousins about my older sister’s wedding so maybe.” She answered.

“Are the rest coming then?” I asked once more.

“Um, Ji Eun has a so-called training thing with her father, which I believe is rather stupid. I know Ha Na should be alright with it unless she has to attend Dae Hyun’s performance. Sun Hwa has a date confirmed on that day way before you told us about the birthday thing.” She mused

“Don’t tell me, she’s out with Kwang Hee?” I deadpanned and Hyo Sung rolled her eyes. “She’s having tea with his parents.” She sang sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. “At this point, I can see them getting married already.”

“Tell me about it.” She snorted. “But if Dae Hyun has a performance on that day, what about B.A.P?”

I shrugged. “All I know is that Zelo has a skating competition and Young Jae has peer tutoring on that day. Yong Guk oppa, I’m not so sure. Jong Up has to come.” I nodded solemnly.

“Why?” She raised an eyebrow at me.

I smirked. “Because Min Ji’s coming and if Yong Guk oppa isn’t coming, this is our chance to set the both of them up together!” Hyo Sung squealed excitedly and agreed. “I’ll try to get him to come. I’ll doll my little Min Ji up so that she’ll look stunning.”

I eyed her warily. “Don’t overdo it.” And she sighed, rolling her eyes and nodding obediently.

“Oh,” She glanced at her watch. “I have to go. I’m not going to be late for class.” She huffed and dashed off happily. I laughed and turned around, heading to class as well. The hallways were slowly getting less dense with the population of the student body as everyone rushed to class. I took it slowly since I knew that Lee Teuk seongsaengnim was always late by ten minutes to class.

That and he’ll be an extra five minutes late since he needs to get our math tests. No wonder Se Hun, Kai, and Tao weren’t here to me to class. Not that I miss them, well, alright, I did a little but they must probably be revising their work like madmen. As perfect as werewolves are, they certainly did not have a knack for math. Luckily, I-

“Oof!” I bumped into someone’s chest and my books fell to the floor. I quickly bent down to pick up my books. However, one of my books was missing and I searched the ground for it. Suddenly, it appeared right in front of eyes and I blinked in surprise, glancing up at the pale white hand that held the book. I slowly traveled my eyes up the arm and the ghostly white neck to stop at familiar blue speckled eyes. I shot up immediately, my eyes wide in shock. He still held my book and I grabbed it hesitantly, biting my lip nervously. The emotionless expression on his face scared me a little but I held my ground.

“Um, thanks, thank you for helping me. And uh, sorry for bumping into you. I wasn’t watching where I was going.” I said sheepishly. I offered him a small friendly smile but he merely stared at me piercingly with a blank stare.

“So, um…” I trailed off, my eyes darting everywhere but him.

“Are you alright?” I snapped my head back to him. His voice was soft and delicate. It was as if he had never spoken at all in his entire life to conserve his fragile voice. It sounded feminine but there was a masculine undertone with it. His expression was dull but his voice sounded melodious.

“Me? Um, yeah, I’m fine. Are you?” I inquired and he nodded back slowly.

I smiled awkwardly. “Right, um, do you know where class is? It’s that way actually.” I pointed in the opposite direction he was heading in and he nodded. “I know.” He whispered out and I lowered my finger. “Then…”

“I’m going to the front office.” He murmured.

“Oh, then, yeah, you’re heading the right way.” I said.

“I should be heading to class.” I chuckled awkwardly and he nodded stepping aside for me to walk pass him. I took a few steps still feeling his gaze on my back before a thought occurred to me and I turned around just as he was about to leave.

“Hey, Ren, right?” I called out. He paused mid-turn and kept his gaze on the ground, nodding silently. I broke out into a friendly smile. “Say, um, Min Seok oppa is having his birthday on March 26 after school at the ice rink. It’s the big ice rink at Lotte World. Why don’t you come along and celebrate with us? It’ll be fun.” I sang expectantly. I stared at him anticipatingly.

Would he come? Would he accept my invitation?

“There’s ice cream cake. Everybody loves ice cream cake.” I reasoned once more. He kept silent for a few more moments and just when I thought he would say no, he nodded solemnly and I grinned in success.

“Alright,” I beamed. “It’s just after school so if you head over there right after school ends, you should be on time. And don’t worry, they’re really nice and if they aren’t, I’ll make sure they’ll be nice.” I smiled at him but he didn’t say a word and turned away from me, walking down the empty hallway in silence.

“I’ll see you there! And you don’t have to bring a present!” I hollered to him but he kept on walking. I didn’t care if he didn’t even spare a glance at me. All I cared about was that he accepted my invitation and maybe we could be friends.

Ren, you’re an interesting fellow.

“Woohoo!” Tao cheered as he stepped on to the ice straight away after strapping on his skates. Some of the wolves followed along already engaged in a fierce game of tag. The families and little kids around the rink stared at them weirdly while staying close to the side to avoid being run over by these crazy males. Xiu Min seemed to be the most relaxed and at ease since he was in his environment, well, somewhat. While everyone was at least wearing jeans and two jackets with socks and gloves, Xiu Min was wearing basketball shorts and a grey basketball jersey with a snapback cap and ankle socks. A sweat shirt was tied around his waist but I doubted that he needed it.

Chan Yeol, however…

“S-S-So f-f-frea-a-ak-king c-c-c-c-cold! Achoo!” He sneezed while shivering wildly. He was decked in three jackets with a shirt underneath and thick jeans with leg warmers underneath it. He wore two socks and thin gloves underneath thicker ones. He wore a fur cap that was tied tightly under his chin and covered his ears protectively. He dressed as if he was going to take a trek to the Himalayas.

“Aw, oppa, here have some hot chocolate.” I handed him a Styrofoam cup of hot chocolate and he gulped it down without even blowing on it. I watched with wide eyes as he smiled in satisfaction as the hot chocolate warmed his body just a little.

“If I had known you would be that sensitive to the cold, I would have suggested someplace else other than the skating rink.” I eyed him in concern.

“Nah, Min Seok seems happy to spend his birthday here so I’ll suffer while he has fun. But on my birthday, we’re having it at a beach.” He asserted.

“However,” I shook my head. “You’re birthday is in November meaning that beaches are a no go.” His face fell in realization but then perked up a little at an idea that crossed his mind. “Then, we can celebrate it in Hawaii.” He beamed and I chuckled.

“It’s too expensive to fly thirteen people there just to celebrate your birthday for one day.” I said but he smirked mischievously. “I never said we had to fly thirteen people.” My eyes widened and I stepped away from him. “Okay, then I guess you’re flying solo for your birthday then. I’m staying in Seoul.” I countered and ran away from him as he protested.

“Chan Yeol bothering you?” Xiu Min stopped at a ledge near me and I walked up to him, leaning on the cold metal as I faced him with a wry smile. “Not really, he’s just a little cold.” I chuckled.

“Yeah, everyone is.” He nodded to the rest of his brothers who were waddling around the rink like little penguins. I stifled my giggles at the sight and turned back to Xiu Min.

“I thought werewolves had some kind of awesome internal heating or something like that.” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“We do but only in wolf form. We’re pretty much very human in our human form.” He whispered lowly so no one could hear us. “How about you? Are you cold?” He eyed me in concern and I shook my head. “No, I’m fine. I’m cold but not as cold as Chan Yeol. Vampires have an easier time adapting to colder temperatures.” I smiled.

“Well, if you’re feeling cold, you have me. Chan Yeol’s out for the day since his internal flame is probably pretty weak right now. Me, however, I’m actually quite warm in here.” He winked and skated away as I laughed at his offer.

“I think about it.” I muttered loudly enough for him to hear me. I walked to the entrance of the skating rink where I carefully stepped onto the ice. It has been a long time since I ice skated so I needed to get the feeling back in my bones.

“Alright, careful now.” I precariously stepped onto the ice and held the ledge tightly before steadying myself and pushing off the ledge. I stumbled for a moment before I quickly regained my balance. I smiled in success as I skated on the ice easily now and did a small spin before returning to face the front.

I was skating freely for a few minutes before someone barreled into me from behind. My eyes widened as I tried to regain my balance

Please log in to read the full chapter