You Bet I Will

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

A/N

This chapter is a spin off from "Just a Moment, Please." And I dedicated this to clumsyblue, because she asked for this to be written..and because she loves eating Indomie goreng just like I do..^^

 

______________________________________

 

Sunday afternoon, I was sitting on my own when I saw you walking through the window. You. The man I hoped to see here every weekday’s morning when we got our morning coffee. Silently, I prayed that you would enter the café. And you did. I must be crazy because suddenly I felt that the café seemed a little brighter the moment you opened the door. You walked straight to the counter and made your order. “Iced Americano”, I whispered. You always ordered that. As you waited for your coffee, absentmindedly you touched and fixed your hair. You always did that too.

                   

Maybe because I always saw you in your work suit, today I thought your jeans and hoodie jacket are so interesting. Another side of you I never saw before. You looked so young and lively. I remembered the very first time we met. You just about to leave the café and me wanted to enter. We almost bumped at the front door and my world froze the moment you said, “Excuse me.” So I retreated, walked back and let you have your way out. I stood there on sidewalk and watched you leave. I checked my watch and since then, I always came here at precisely 7.25 AM in hope that I would meet you. That was two months ago, but I bet you never noticed me.

 

But I noticed a lot about you. You only ordered Iced Americano even though on freezing morning. You had this habit to constantly touch your hair. Or your habit to stuck out your tongue. You also always moved your hands exaggeratedly whenever you talked. You always looked slender and weak, so on one morning when I lined behind you, it was surprised me when I heard you cursed like a sailor to someone on your phone. I noticed that you get embarrassed easily and you also blushed evidently at those times. I always wanted to talk to you, but like a coward, I only managed to stand there, let you walked past me, and I just silently lined behind you. 

 

But today was different, because you stayed. You walked past my table and sat at the table in front of me. I pretended to read my book because I didn’t want you feel offended. Or maybe because I was too nervous to do anything else. But today was different, because then I realized that you looked at me. I looked up and we locked eyes. That was the first time you noticed me. We finally had our greeting and I was grateful, I didn’t even mind the silent between us now.

 

Okay, Eric. Get up and talk to him! I closed my book and stood up, when I heard you shouting, “Excuse me, just a moment please.” I saw you leaned forward and nervously gripped your chair.

 

“Yes?” I asked in disbelief, because I never thought you would care.

 

You stood up and walked to me and asked in haste, “Do you have time right now?”

 

“Yes, I have time..” I couldn’t believe it. No way could it be this easy. Just because I was so nervous, I joked instead, “Are you, by any chance, asking me out on a date?”

 

“Ah.. well..” you startled and I cursed silently. Bad move, Eric. Your joke was never funny.

 

“Actually, I was going to walk to your table. I was going to ask you first.. do you have time right now?” I panicky told you. But then I felt myself smiled like a fool. Now that I said that, I felt relieved.

 

“Yes!” You answered quickly. But then you realized you answer too fast and too enthusiastic, so you bit your lip and nervously touched your hair.

 

“Should we sit at your table?” I asked. I grabbed my belonging without any concern.

 

“Oh, sure.” You walked back to your seat but waited for me and invited me to sit.

 

“My name is Eric. Mun Eric.” I offered my hand to you. Which you quickly took, “Jung Pilkyo.”

 

“What year are you born?”

 

“1979.”

 

“We’re the same age friend then.” I exclaimed happily.

 

“Then we should talk comfortably.” You smiled. Oh damn, I felt like I had minor heart attack.

 

“Sure.” I managed to answer and then sipped my coffee.

 

“Hmm.. What are you reading?” You pointed at my book which I already forgot a moment ago.

 

“Oh, just some Luxe edition.”

 

“Really? What city? I always want to go to Florence.” I could see your eyes lit in excitement. But that was not the reason that made me surprised. I showed you the cover and saw that your face blushed a second after you read the title. Florence.

 

“That’s… “ You didn’t finish your sentence and laughed nervously.

 

“Seems like we had a same thought.” I said to him. Now that I sat close in front of you, I could see that your face as smooth as I saw from afar.

 

“Yeah, seems like it.” You chuckled and looked at my eyes. You lifted your eyebrow and waited. Are you challenged me?

 

“Maybe we should go there together?” I said. And with that you won.

 

“Yes, we should.” You chuckled again, but now with your cheeks blushed like crazy. “But you have to treat me gelato as much as I want.”

 

“Gelato? Deal.” I nodded.

 

“And wine. Don’t forget the wine.”

 

“If you talk about wine, then you shouldn’t exclude cheese.” I added. “And pasta.”

 

“Hmm… pasta. Now I’m hungry.” You laughed and rubbed your hands enthusiastically.

 

“Your travel plan involves a lot of food, I see?” I felt we were close enough to tease you.

 

“I love food. What about you? What’s your travel plan in Florence?” You asked.

 

“Rent a Vespa and ride around the city.”

 

“Wow. That’s interesting.” Your eyes widened.

 

“You could go with me.” I said, “Both of us could ride around together.”

 

“That sounds like a plan. But I will rent my own Vespa.” You stuck your tongue out before laughed at your own joke.

 

Your phone buzzed and you apologize before picked it up. You talked for a short moment, but I saw you frowned when you hung up. “I’m sorry. That was my friend and he is in trouble. I really need to go now.” You said slowly before once again muttered, “I’m sorry.”

 

“Oh.” I really didn’t know what to say. And I hate being in situation when someone apologize to me.

 

“Let’s meet again. Tomorrow?” You hurriedly suggest because I didn’t say much. I nodded and smiled. At least I didn’t need to worry about your sincerity. You exhaled in relieved and then continued, “Maybe we can have lunch? My office is near here, just a block away.” This time I shook my head, I had a better idea.

 

“You owe me more than lunch. At least we should have a dinner?” I suggested. “I know a restaurant with a delicious pasta and great selection of wine. Consider it as a prelude before Florence?”

 

You smiled shyly before turned to open your bag. You took your name card and hand it to me. But when I was about to take it, you hesitantly pulled your hand. I looked at you to see you nervously bit your lip.

 

“There’s something I need to be sure about.” You said slowly.

 

“What?”

 

“Do you have a wife?” Oh my, you couldn’t be seriously asking that, right?

 

“Nope.”

 

“Girlfriend?” Your smile grew again.
 

“Nope.”

 

“Boyfriend?”

 

 “Nope.”

 

“Okay, call me then.” You finally handed me your name card with a smile that could easily got me a heart attack.

 

“You bet I will.”

 

 

_________________________