Sunflower

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

A/N

This chapter I write to patch your hurting heart caused by last chapter (The Hardest Note).. Another crazy chapter from me.. ;p

And because I will be busy for the next two weeks, I think I won't be able to post anything for the time being.. Sorry..

 


It’s all started with a bunch of red roses. That morning before Hyesung went to work, Eric literally ambushed him near his car and with his shaking hands, presented huge red roses bouquet to the slender man.

 

“What is this?” Hyesung asked in much shocked towards his neighbour.

 

“Shin Hyesung. I love you.” Eric said breathlessly. His face was a mixed of embarrassment and anticipation. His right hand was holding the flowers while his other hand was gripping his bag tightly. Eric was extremely nervous.

 

“I…. can’t.” Hyesung responded frightfully before slipped inside his car and drove away – leaving the rejected Eric. What the hell the man is thinking? Hyesung thought.

 

But that rude rejection wasn’t enough to stop Eric. Because the next day, Eric once again stood near Hyesung’s car and fully prepared with flower bouquet in his hand.

 

“Here’s for you.” Eric forcefully shoved the flowers to Hyesung’s hand. “I’m sorry I startled you yesterday, but I mean it when I say I love you. And this is gloxinia, means for love at the first sight.” Eric pointed at the flowers on Hyesung’s hand with his face blushed. Hyesung could only stare at those pretty two-tone red flowers and before he could say anything, Eric already running away – perhaps in embarrassment.

 

And after that, every day Eric would predictably wait for Hyesung near his car and gave him flowers.

 

“This is calla lily, means for magnificent beauty. Because for me you’re so magnificently beautiful.” Eric stuttered at the third day when he gave the yellowish-white calla lilies to the amused Hyesung.

 

“This is tulips for you,” Eric said when he gave hot pink variegated tulips for Hyesung, “Means for beautiful eyes. I think it suits you.” Hyesung almost let out a snort but he held it back. Eric was already dying in embarrassment for his own cheesy words without Hyesung ridicules him.

 

On fifth day, Hyesung involuntarily gasped when he saw the beautiful – very very beautiful! – bouquet on Eric’s hands. A very splendid ensemble of white, pink, orange, red and deep purple flowers he didn’t even know its name. The flowers had numerous clusters and those round flowers were too fine to ignore.

 

“This is ranunculus, means for ‘you are radiant with charms’.” Eric said easily and this time Hyesung couldn’t hold back his chuckles. Eric automatically frowned and for a moment stopped his motion to hand the flowers.

 

“How could you manage to get these flowers so early in the morning?” Hyesung asked because he was very curious.

 

“I make special order every time.” Eric answered and smiled. And Hyesung wondered how he could miss that smile of Eric before. Only now he realized how attractive Eric was. He was tall and looked sturdy. But his face was so handsome with sparkling eyes, nice teeth and high cheekbones.

 

“And how you know the meaning of those flowers?” Hyesung asked not only out of curiosity but also because of amusement.

 

“I ask the florists and search on the internet.”

 

“Why flowers? I’m a man.”

 

“I know you like sport cars, but I can’t get you sport car every time. That’s why I give you flowers.” Eric stated the obvious fact.

 

Hyesung now unmercifully let out a loud chuckle. “You’re very interesting, Eric-shi. I’ll take the flowers, just because it’s so pretty.” And with a smile on his face, his hands reached out to take the flowers from Eric’s hand.

 

On Saturday and Sunday, when Hyesung didn’t go to work, he didn’t receive flowers from Eric. And Hyesung was so ashamed to think that he’s kind of regretting it.

 

But on Monday, Eric was back. And this time with white flowers on his hands. When Hyesung approached him, he quickly said, “This is white camellia, means for ‘you’re adorable’.” This time Hyesung accepted it happily. He sniffed the fragrant flowers then said, “I didn’t see you yesterday and the day before.”

 

Eric’s face quickly reddened. “I’m sorry, Hyesung-shi.”

 

“What are you sorry for?”

 

“Because at Saturday and Sunday I always wake up very late. I won’t wake up until noon if I don’t have to go to work.” Eric explained as if he did something very terrible.

 

“Relax, it’s not a big matter.” Hyesung chuckled and sniffed the white camellia before went to work.

 

The next day, Eric gave him another white flowers (“Gardenia, because you’re lovely”).

 

The day after Eric gave him red amaryllis (“It has several meanings, actually. It could mean ‘splendid beauty’ – that you are – and it could also mean for ‘worth beyond beauty’ – that is also suits you very well. The third meaning is ‘to sparkle’. Which meaning do you like the best?”)

 

On Thursday, Eric brought with him white flowers and gave it to Hyesung. “I know I acted rather stupid, but I have no bad intention. And I know it sounds very cheesy, but these white carnations mean for pure love.” Eric then ran away after he said those words – leaving the still dumbfounded Hyesung.

 

The next day, beautiful pink orchids made their appearance. Eric said proudly, “This pink orchids suit both of us. ‘Delicate beauty’ suits you and ‘pure affection’ suits me.”

 

“Eeii.. I’m not delicate.” Hyesung replied shortly but took the flowers anyway before went to work.

 

The next two days when Hyesung didn’t meet Eric, he actually missed the ritual. So that Sunday morning, he his laptop and searched for his secret collections. The truth was, every time he got flower bouquet from Eric, he would snap some photos of it and saved it on his laptop – just in case he wants to see it again later. He also kept all the still-fresh-flowers on the many vases that were lining on his bedroom.

 

But his collections weren’t complete, he bitterly reminded himself. That first day, when Eric wanted to give him red roses, Hyesung already drove away without taking the flowers. How he regretted it now. But he was too startled and honestly, frightened by Eric back then. If only he realized Eric’s handsomeness back then, maybe he would not act so impulsively like that. Not every day he could meet an overly handsome man that would give him flowers and said he loves him.

 

But that overly handsome man was also overly stupid.

 

“If you really like me, then ask me for a dinner or ask for my number so you can call me, for God’s sake!” Hyesung shouted impatiently. “Rather than spend your money for these expensive flowers.” Hyesung continued to hiss. But as he looked at the photos on his laptop screen, he knew he didn’t regret those flowers at all.

 

Monday, Eric gave him tulips in many different colors. “What’s the meaning this time?” Hyesung asked right away.

 

“Perfect lover.” Eric answered and blushed immediately. Hyesung’s eyes were widened by that, but he didn’t say anything. Instead, he was waiting for Eric’s next words. But Eric already too ashamed to stay, so he hurriedly ran away and left Hyesung.

 

The day after, Eric presented pink azaleas for Hyesung. “This is for abundance.”

 

“And?” Hyesung hoped Eric would finally take him out today rather than continuously talking about flowers’ meaning.

 

“And…. Good morning and good bye, Hyesung-shi.” Eric ran away and left the frowning Hyesung behind.

 

So when Wednesday came, Hyesung pouted when he saw Eric. “Tulip again?” Hyesung asked shortly after saw the yellow flowers on Eric’s hand.

 

“Yeah, this is for cheerful thoughts.” Eric said when he handed the flowers.

 

“Is there anything else you want to say?” Hyesung asked in a harsher tone than he intended to. And it changed Eric’s expression drastically – from glee to guilty. But Eric didn’t say anything, so Hyesung opened his car door and left him.

 

On Thursday, Eric held asters on his hands – from baby pink, hot pink, red, purple and wine-colored asters. He handed it to Hyesung but he looked at his own shoes. “I’m really sorry, Hyesung-shi. You must be thinking that I’m too annoying. This is asters, means for patience. I’ll be patient and not rushing or pushing you from now on.” Eric said slowly.

 

“Oh my God, Mun Eric. You’re so dense.” Hyesung snorted, grabbed the flowers then drove away. During his trip to his office, he endlessly was cursing at Eric’s name. Saying how stupid and inconsiderate and dense the man was.

 

So that Friday morning, Hyesung exited his apartment earlier than usual and hurriedly went to his car. This time, he would wait for Eric. Hyesung actually smiled when he saw a tall man walked approaching him that morning. At first Eric was startled and let his mouth open for a few moments. But then he gathered himself and began to walk towards the slender man with yellow flowers on his hands.

 

“Sunflower?” Hyesung asked first.

 

“This is for you, Hyesung-shi.” Eric slowly handed the sunflowers bouquet rather timidly.

 

“And what’s the meaning of this?”

 

“Adoration and devotion.” Eric answered shortly. “And do you know, Hyesung-shi? All day, sunflower would turn and follow the sun’s movement, as if it only looks at the sun’s direction.” Eric said nervously. “I am like that.” Eric said while pointing the sunflowers on Hyesung’s hands. “I could only look at you. The one who only looking at you, that person is me.”

 

Hyesung froze after he heard Eric’s words. His face had struck in awe and somehow he couldn’t do anything rather than blinking nervously. But Eric read Hyesung’s expression wrongly.

 

“Uh, did I offend you this time?” Eric then scratched the back of his head and thought that maybe it was time to go. He grinned a little and without waiting for Hyesung’s answer, he hurriedly said “Good bye, Hyesung-shi.” He then turned and was about to walk away when Hyesung abruptly stop him.

 

“Eric.”

 

Eric stopped right away and braced himself for a scolding. He turned and faced Hyesung and tried so hard to put the most innocent and sorry-looking expression he could manage. So he was taken aback to see Hyesung was smiling to him.

 

“Eric, can you help me finding a perfect flower that has meaning ‘Want to have a dinner with me’?” Hyesung asked smoothly even though his face was a blushing mess.

 

“Huh?”

 

Hyesung let out a sigh and then came closer to Eric. Better to say it bluntly, he decided. “Do you have time tonight? Want to have a dinner with me?” He asked rather calmly even though his heart was beating so fast. Even Eric’s blank expression was too handsome to bear, he thought.

 

“Yeah.” Eric answered still shocked.

 

“Good, now give me your number so I can call you.” Hyesung ordered and ignored the increasing heat on his cheeks when he saw Eric’s wide smile. Because from now on, Hyesung wanted to get to know Eric not through flowers.