Reality of Reality

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

 

 

“What are you doing here?” Eric asked the question almost automatically when he opened his office’s door. He was startled to see someone lying comfortably on the couch inside his office. He lied his head down on the small cushion and had taken off his shoes. That person was looking at a tablet with him and looked irritated. The man’s forehead was furrowed deeply and his lips pouted annoyed.

 

“Taking my break.” That person answered rather bored without leaving his gaze from his gadget with his finger continuously swiped its screen. And a second later he let out a short grunt. Eric was curious what the hell Hyesung reads to make him like this.

 

“Oh.” Eric sighed and walked to his table. It was almost midnight and they with other members were working until their last batch of energy to prepare their comeback. He couldn’t blame Hyesung if he wants to steal even any little time to rest.

 

“Minwoo will look for you.” Eric said five minutes later because he knew Hyesung was supposed to practice his dance with their main dancer right now.

 

“He knows where to look if he needs me.” Hyesung muttered slowly then scoffed loudly to the screen.

 

Eric couldn’t keep his curiosity any longer. “What are you reading?” He asked as he looked up from his papers. Hyesung clicked off his tablet and put it on his stomach before rubbed his eyes in exhaust.

 

“Nothing.” He finally mumbled.

 

“Then why are you being so irritated?” Eric asked with his eyes furrowed in suspicion. Was there any article that bothers him?

 

“Should I tell you?” Hyesung yawned tiredly.

 

“You should. I’m your friend, your leader and also your boyfriend. If there’s something bothering you, you should tell me.”

 

Hyesung was looking intently at Eric as if he was contemplated to tell him or not. But then he shook his head and mumbled, “I better not.”

 

“Just tell me!”

 

“You will laugh!” Hyesung said louder.

 

“What problem did you cause this time?” Eric hissed.

 

“What do you mean with problem? I only read some fanfic!” Hyesung blurted out in much offended. He then sighed and closed his eyes, so he could prevent any further conversation. He flung one hand to rest on his forehead and placed the other hand on his stomach. Eric better not see the embarrassment on his face right now.

 

“Fanfic?” Eric put his papers down. “Seriously, Pilkyo-ah?” Eric asked perplexed.

 

All Shinhwa members sometimes read fanfiction out of curiosity. But that was long time ago, just around the time of their debut. As times gone by and they got older, Eric thought no one did it anymore. It was scary sometimes, to read some stories about you being paired with your bestfriend(s). And to think that they knew well that those stories sometimes were written by girls who don’t even have their ID yet. But the scariest thing about it, Eric thought, was the fact that their fans could see something that Hyesung and he had been hiding for years now. That they were actually dating for real.

 

“I’m just bored to death.” Hyesung muttered and seemed much more composed than few seconds ago.

 

Eric smiled amusingly at his tired boyfriend. He must be tired as hell for this comeback’s practice and recording. And maybe he was lonely too, since Eric stayed at his office to do his job as CEO when Hyesung went home. Hyesung was left alone to take care of Gomdori at home most of the time.

 

“Found anything interesting?” Eric got back to his paper works and couldn’t hold back his snicker.

 

“Shut up, Junghyuk. I’m trying to sleep here.”

 

“You could sleep long ago rather than read those fanfics.” Eric commented. But then he looked up again to Hyesung. “Don’t say you waited for me?”

 

“What do you think?” Hyesung only murmured silently. But Eric already beamed in joy because of his short reply. He also felt a pang of guilt to see his frustrated boyfriend in front of him. Eric shut his mouth though, he didn’t want to disturb Hyesung’s nap. So he was surprised to hear Hyesung groaned in frustration a second after. “I’m too tired I can’t sleep.” Hyesung sat up in desperation.

 

“Then go back to practice.”

 

“That! That’s the real you!” Suddenly Hyesung yelled. “What are those ShinChangs thinking to write you being oh-so-perfect man in their stories?”

 

“What are you talking about?” Eric dropped the papers on his hand after Hyesung’s sudden bursting.

 

“I almost faint whenever I read how you being described oh-so-perfectly flawless and ideal!” Hyesung began to babble. “Tall, dark skin, handsome face, perfect feature, nice teeth, loving smile. They don’t know what I have to deal with on daily basis. Your morning breath, your stubble, your cigarette burning holes on my couch and sheets, and your stupid and crazy behavior!”

 

Eric gawked at the surprise blow he just received. He didn’t have any clue what he did wrong to make Hyesung explodes like that. But Hyesung wasn’t finish yet.

 

“And how on earth they could write you like a romantic! Bring me flower, take me to a vacation, surprise breakfast on the morning, and buy me jewelry. You didn’t do that! The most romantic thing you can do for me is wash your own dirty dishes!” Eric kept quiet even thought he was eager to retort.

 

“And don’t let me start talking about the way you treat me during !”

 

“And what’s wrong with that?” Eric wouldn’t keep quiet this time. Hyesung could insult him on other things, but not this one. Definitely not this one.

 

“, Eric. . Should I spell it to you?” Eric went supple because of that. He admitted that he was too lazy for that, so he usually quickens that part. He only slouched on his seat in defeat. So Hyesung never liked it, he thought morosely.

 

“Then why you never said before?” Eric mumbled.

 

“I said few times before, but you never listened. So I quit trying.” After he spat the word, his eyes widened as he realized what he just did. Hyesung sighed lowly then shook his head. “I’m sorry, Junghyuk-ah. I guess I’m too tired, my head is a mess now. Please forget everything I said.”

 

Eric stared back at him vacantly. He had no appetite to answer him though. So Hyesung stood up and was about to walk towards Eric – but Eric shamelessly turned his head and refused to see Hyesung. Feeling rejected, Hyesung turned and reached for the door. Just before he left, Hyesung turned his head and said. “I’m really sorry Junghyuk-ah.”

 

But Eric already on his deep thought. Hyesung might be right about his head was a mess right now. But Eric also knew that everything that Hyesung spilled just now was his true feeling. He never thought that Hyesung endured all those dissatisfactions for many years now. Eric thought that Hyesung stayed with him all this time, was because he did everything well to him. But now, suddenly he found out that he was a lousy boyfriend.

 

Eric was never a romantic one – he was childish and too laid back. He always treated his lover like a bestfriend, and the fact that Hyesung was his bestfriend even before they started dating made Eric feel no need to act nice in front of him. He acted whatever he likes, said everything bluntly and basically being lazy on everything other than work matter. Hyesung complained of course, but Eric never wanted to change himself just because of that.

 

How he regretted all his behavior now.

 

Eric was lost on his thought, he didn’t realize how much time had passed. Only when his phone buzzed, signaling it had one incoming call, Eric could get back on reality. His heart involuntarily quickened when he saw the caller name. Hyesung.

 

“Are you done with your work? Or should I wait a bit more?” Hyesung asked him the second their call was connected. And if a moment ago Eric felt so cold all over his body, now every cell of his being was warmed by the soft and calm voice of Hyesung.

 

“I’m done with it.” Eric hurriedly replied although he didn’t even finish reading the first page of Shinhwa’s contract in his hand. “I’ll be there now.” He carelessly turn off his computer, shoved the contract inside his backpack and turn off the light before dashed out his office. Eric quickly ran down the stairs and finally saw Hyesung was waiting for him near his car.

 

“I’m sorry.” They said almost at unison once Eric approached Hyesung.

 

“Eh? What are you sorry for?” Eric blinked.

 

“Everything I said before.” Hyesung mumbled timidly. “I’m really sorry, Junghyuk-ah. Please don’t be mad at me.”

 

“But I’m not mad at you.”

 

“I really love you. And I’m sorry for pointing only at your bad sides when I know you actually are better than that.” Eric widened his eyes in confused but had no chance to retort, since Hyesung quickly continued. “I should be thankful of you. Even though I nag a lot, you stay with me. You could have chosen someone else, but you stay with me. If you want, you could easily get married but you give up on that because of me. And.. and.. ” Hyesung sounded like hiccupped.

 

“Pilkyo-ah,” He cupped Hyesung’s face between his hands – and thus stopped Hyesung’s hiccup. “I don’t care about them. From the very first time till the end, you’re the only one I’ll choose.”

 

“Woah, it’s the first time you’re talking nicely. And corny.” Hyesung said amusedly.

 

“It’s because I’m a genius. I can learn pretty quickly.” All Eric need was a good shock to change.

 

Hyesung scoffed lightly but then he leaned forward slowly. “You’re not a bad boyfriend at all.” He whispered before planted his lips on Eric’s.

 

The feeling was familiar. They did the motion since very long time ago and repeated it thousands times more. But still, when their lips met, some kind of electricity rushed from their lips to their heart – making it beating rapidly. Another motions soon followed – Eric’s hands cupped his lover’s face gently and slowly caressed it, and Hyesung would hold Eric’s back and pulled him closer. All the while, cherished their connected lips with mutual movements – and more often than not, soon they would opened their mouth and included their tongue on the feast.

 

All were the same sequences, but none of them could deny the premium satisfaction from those physical routines.

 

This might not what it would be written on those fanfictions, Hyesung thought. Their kiss tasted like cigarettes and energy drinks Eric always drink and mixed with normal breathe of two human beings who brushed their teeth hours ago. But as they deepened their kiss, Hyesung would have to admit this kiss was sweet nevertheless.

 

After confessed their feelings and cramped them all in one single kiss, they parted. Still panted from lack of air in his lung, Hyesung snickered slowly.

 

“I wonder if there would be a Shinhwa Changjo writes about this one.”

 


 

A/N

In the end, I write Eric as oh-so-perfect -boyfriend.. kekeke....