Bite

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

 

A/N:

Hehehehe.. First, I have to credit my friends, Laura and Gre, for their idea. They were talking about Hyesung looks like a vampire for his perfect and eternal young appearance.. And so the conversation went on, and we had an idea of fic about Hyesung the clumsy vampire and Eric the smart victim.. :D

Well, this is my version of Hyesung the clumsy vampire.. XD

Eric here is a little different from the smart victim, but more like 4D victim, kekeke..

Don't be mad about the ending. This story is very silly, and even though Laura and Gre's idea is so great, I think my version is not that great.. Very silly and irrelevant, I know.. Well, drop your comment whether you like it or not.. Thanks ^^

 

 



 

“Hyung.” A cheerful voice called out. Hyesung looked down and saw a tall man dressed in all black waved at him. “There you are.” That tall man said before gracefully jumped and then sat beside him.

 

“How’s your night?” Hyesung asked sullenly.

 

“Good.” Junjin smiled widely and produced one big bottle from under his coat. “For you.” Junjin handed the bottle for his hyung.

 

“Thanks.” Hyesung said almost automatically.

 

He accepted the bottle and hurriedly opened the lid before took one gulp. He was hungry all night. Hyesung stole a glance to Junjin but pretended that he enjoyed his dinner when he sensed Junjin glanced back at him. Hyesung pouted when inferiority consumed him once again. He felt so useless. Junjin was younger than him – by more than a hundred years – but it was always Junjin who provides food for him. Hyesung wished he had Junjin’s strength and also swift movement, his quick-thinking and tactics, and most importantly, his enchantment that works like a magic spell when he faces his prey.

 

But in reality, Hyesung was far than his wish. He was clumsy and helpless vampire. The only thing that made him still counted as a vampire, was his pale skin and his all black suit. Hyesung had a pair of fang, of course, but those fangs were as useful as butter knife when it comes to cut flesh. In his family, Hyesung was the only vampire who regularly drinks cow’s blood because he couldn’t hunt human.

 

On many occasions of him hunting, Hyesung would unexpectedly stumbled or fell while prying for his prey – made the prey ran away before he had a chance to ambush them. Once, Hyesung was sneezing loudly just before he bit his prey and by that split second, his prey ran away. Physically, Hyesung had slender and light body, but his movement was far than light. It seemed like the more he intends to be quiet, the more noise he produces. And for his much embarrassment, for a reason he couldn’t understand, he always falls and stumbles upon something – at almost every time.

 

His family was still teasing him about his epic failure from years ago. Hyesung was just meters away from blood from this sleeping girl. All he needed to do was walk several steps, bend down, and he would get his delicious dinner. But Hyesung hilariously stepped on the girl’s cat that sleeps under the bed. The cat hissed, and Hyesung screamed, and then the girl wailed. And thus, the story went into an embarrassing legend.

 

His family was patient enough to let him try, but after a couple of hundred years of more failures than success hunting, his father told him to not hunt human anymore. Like tonight – once a week, all his family members would go out and hunt, while Hyesung would be waiting for his family coming back and bringing his share of blood.

 

“I really want to go hunting again.” Hyesung mumbled morosely.

 

“Hyung, you have your own hunting.” Junjin said calmly.

 

“Mine isn’t called hunting, Jin-ah! I drink cow’s blood! And those stupid cows are sleeping when I them! And even though they’re awake, what they can do anyway?” Hyesung threw the bottle away in irritated and he watched it fell on the grass below with a soft thud. Hyesung was always sulking whenever he was left behind like tonight. And he already sulked for more than fifty years now, Junjin knew it was wiser to keep his mouth shut rather than talk back.

 

“Ask father. Maybe he’ll let you go with me next week.” Junjin suggested the same suggestion he used for these past decades.

 

Hyesung pouted more miserably. He already asked it over and over again, both him and his father were bored to death about the topic. But the answer was always no. His father was right though – the city now full with light in every corner and CCTV, clueless Hyesung could be spotted easily. And those humans all carrying communication device now – his father was afraid that Hyesung’s prey would run and call the police. He couldn’t bear the image of Hyesung panicked inside the police station. Even though he was sad to see the huge disappointment on his son’s eyes, he always said no.

 

“Then ask him again.” Junjin encouraged him. “I know you were practicing all this time. Now you can fly noiselessly and you don’t stumble upon things that much anymore. I’ll help you talk again to father. Okay?”

 

Hyesung nodded happily. He knew he can always trust Junjin to make him feel better.

 

***

 

“Father, please let me go hunting.” Hyesung pleaded his father in his father’s room that night. The other family members were downstairs for they were preparing for tonight’s hunting. His father didn’t answer. He only stared at his third son and shook his head slowly but firmly.

 

“I promise I’ll keep quiet and be extra careful.” Hyesung pleaded again. “And Junjin had told you before that I am much better at flying and catching prey.” He already pleaded for the whole week, endlessly tailing his father and earnestly convinced his father. He knew his father would relent on him eventually.

 

“Can you really do it, Hyesung-ah?” His father finally asked desperately. His son might not have ability to hunt, but he sure had the exceptional ability to talk nonstop without needs to rest.

 

“Yes! In fact, I’ll catch big guy tonight.” Hyesung nodded frantically to make his point clear.

 

“Just follow closely behind your brothers. Don’t overdo it.” Hyesung’s father said slowly then walked out the room – so he didn’t have to see how his son pouting and making a sad face in much offended.

 

“That old man!” Hyesung hissed silently, for he knew that his father had excellent hearing. “I’ll catch a big tall guy tonight! I swear I will!!”

 

So half an hour latre, Hyesung silently flew behind his brothers – his father has five sons, Hyesung was the third. He decided to follow his father’s order obediently. Junjin flew nearby and from time to time, he gave his hyung an encouraging nod. When they were nearing the city, his father gave a sign to spread. Hyesung chose to fly into Junjin’s direction since he trusts him the most. Junjin flew slowly and scanning the roads and houses below.

 

“Hyung, this area looks good. Which way do you want to go?” Junjin offered.

 

Hyesung looked left and right, but honestly he couldn’t decide. The last time he hunted, it was fifty years ago. And he was too nervous when he saw the blinding light and the extreme change below where he could see so many tall buildings and knotty roads. For a split second he regretted to come here, but he chased the thought away immediately.

 

“There.” Hyesung pointed the less packed road.

 

“Okay. I’ll go over there.” Junjin pointed to the area beside. “Just call me if you need any help, Hyung.” Junjin smiled once before he flew so fast it looked like he dived down.

 

Hyesung descended slowly and looked for a potential prey. There were some girls, and an old lady. A little boy and his father walked the sidewalk with their dog. But Hyesung was blinded by his desire to get his father’s acknowledgment, he only looked for a big male. Few minutes passed, and Hyesung started to get jittery on his waiting spot behind lamp pole. When will his suitable prey come?

 

Then he heard a man’s voice. Hyesung peeked and almost jumped to see the tall man was walking to his direction. Hyesung watched closely at the tall man. The man was rather thin but his body built looked sturdy because of his broad shoulder. The man walked rather wobbly – he was drunk, Hyesung thought. Hyesung pouted immediately. He didn’t like it to drink blood contaminated with alcohol, it tasted bitter. But tonight, he decided to not care. He wanted to show his father that he could handle that big tall man.

 

Hyesung waited for that tall man as quiet as possible. Just ten meters away, Hyesung thought. But then something happened. The man suddenly leaped and crouched on one corner, then vomited. Hyesung reflexively halted and grimaced. He could tolerate alcohol bitterness, but vomit stench? He felt nauseous just thinking about it. So he pouted, turned around then went away.

 

“I’ll come again tomorrow.” Hyesung mumbled as he flew back to his family’s house at the outskirt of town. Well, he didn’t get a big tall guy that night, but it didn’t mean that he quit. He already fixed his eye on his prey, and now he had a burning desire to drink his blood.

 

Surely the next evening, Hyesung waited on the same dim corner for his prey. He hoped that man didn’t drink tonight – and most importantly, Hyesung hoped the man wouldn’t vomit tonight. He waited and waited, and grew impatient in no time. He waited for another twenty minutes while endlessly cursing the man because he’s being late.

 

That tall man finally appeared and for Hyesung’s horror, when Hyesung peeked from his hiding spot, that tall man stared straight at him. The man’s deep stare felt so overwhelming, Hyesung involuntarily shivered. Somehow, for the reason he couldn’t understand, he was frightened. So he leaned back to the wall, moved silently and slowly, before ran away. And it happened every night. Hyesung would wait at the same spot, peeked at the man when he appeared but then ran away after he saw the man’s stare.

 

Hyesung felt ridiculous. But he couldn’t help it. That man was strangely looked disheartening and strong.

 

After a week, Hyesung was ready to give up. But then his father asked him about his hunt progress. Not willing to admit that he’s failed, Hyesung got up and firmly made up his mind. He had to the man’s blood tonight. He waited again at the same spot and when the man finally came, Hyesung didn’t hesitate to jump on him.

 

Hyesung swiftly jumped straight in front of him, made the man startled. With his natural vampire strength, he firmly grasped the man’s shoulders and pushed him to the wall. The man’s eyes were widened in shock but he didn’t scream. He tried to let go of Hyesung’s hands but with no success. Hyesung produced his fangs then lunged his face to his prey’s bare neck. His fangs were only an inch away from the man’s neck. Hyesung already imagined the warm blood filled his mouth and he unconsciously smiling while imagining the delightful sensation.

 

On the split second when Hyesung let his guard down, the man unexpectedly moved his head and to his more bewilderment, the man bit Hyesung’s neck. It was rather weird position, with Hyesung and the man, biting each other’s neck. For a second, Hyesung couldn’t process it – he just stood there motionless. Even though his grasp was now weakening, the man didn’t try to break away. He continued to bite Hyesung’s neck without wanting to run. After more or less two seconds, Hyesung got his senses back and abruptly pushed the man away.

 

“Why did you bite me?” Hyesung shrieked and covered the skin that has been bitten with his hand.

 

“You bit me first.” The man scowled.

 

Hyesung couldn’t find any word to reply. He took a step back in fright. This man is weird! He thought. He then turned away and ran. The moment he was covered with shadow, he lifted himself up and flew back to his family’s house. All the while he covered his neck – that felt burning now – with his hand.

 

Hyesung really couldn’t believe his luck – or his lack of luck, to be more precise. Of all the many people in the city, why he had to pick that weird guy as his prey? It really hurt Hyesung’s pride as a vampire, to be bitten on the neck by mere human! It felt like the man had insulted him very harshly. Not to mention the shiver and the weirdness that still lingered all over his body for days. Seven days passed, but every time he remembered how the man’s teeth grazing his skin, Hyesung felt the strange hotness crept up on his spine. And Hyesung hates it!

 

I have to make the man pay! Hyesung thought.

 

“I have to kill him!” Hyesung decided to punish the man very harshly – for all the troubles and discomforts the man had caused on Hyesung.

 

That night, he flew to that same neighborhood he had met the man. Hyesung knew the man would come soon, so he just waited patiently. Inside his head, Hyesung was scheming one solid scenario – ambush the man, pin him on the wall, bite his neck, and his blood until dry. Don’t stop to think, don’t hesitate – not even for a second, Hyesung reminded himself.

 

Hyesung nodded proudly at his perfect plan, he didn’t realize there was someone who silently tiptoed behind him.

 

“Excuse me.” Someone said huskily near Hyesung’s ear from behind.

 

Hyesung jumped in surprise and unceremoniously stumbled his own feet. He was about to fall but a pair of hand quickly caught him.

 

“You scared me!” Hyesung yelled and immediately felt embarrassed after he had said that. Hyesung was the vampire here, and yet he was the one who frightened to death.

 

“Sorry.” The weird man said as he grinned widely. “Hi.” He greeted nicely after that.

 

“Let go of me.” Hyesung pushed the man and to Hyesung’s relieve, that man released him.

 

“Are you waiting for me?” The man asked. Hyesung wanted to say no, but he just couldn’t find his voice. “Nice to see you again.” The man said again.

 

“You say it’s nice to see me again?” Hyesung asked perplexed. His plan to kill the man was soon forgotten. “You’re not afraid meeting me?” Hyesung’s eyes were widened and muddled.

 

“Why do I have to be afraid?” He asked in the equal puzzled.

 

“Because I am a vampire.” Hyesung’s voice echoed as the awkward silence followed his words.

 

The man furrowed his brow and for a flash, he looked like he was about to laugh, but he didn’t’. “And my name is Eric.” He said again – biting his lip to restrain any smile.

 

“I said I am a vampire.” Hyesung said again, emphasizing the word ‘vampire’ desperately.

 

“That’s how you called yourself?” Eric now grinned mockingly.

 

“Yes – I mean, no – my name is Hyesung.” And Hyesung wanted to slap himself for stuttering. Don’t stutter, you Idiot! He scolded himself. You have to look intimidating!

 

“Ah, so your name is Hyesung.” Eric grinned wider. But with not even a smallest trace of fear on his eyes.

 

“You’re not afraid of me?” Hyesung really couldn’t understand why Eric could be so relax.

 

“Ah, I got it!” Eric suddenly exclaimed. “You’re role playing as a vampire tonight? Aah, that does explain your pale face and your black suit.” Eric said and nodded in understanding. “But, no offence, does the vampire thingy is already out of date?” He then chuckled teasingly.

 

Hyesung let his jaw dropped. Half the reason was because he didn’t understand what this Eric was talking about. And the other half was because the total carelessness and confidence of Eric. Was he not scared at all?

 

“Am I not scary?” Hyesung asked weakly.

 

Eric touched his chin, scanned Hyesung’s appearance from head to toe, then shook his head. “Not at all. In fact, you’re really cute.”

 

Hyesung was lost of words.

 

“Let’s go. It’s freezing here.” Eric said. And then, with much ease, Eric grabbed Hyesung’s hand and dragged him to convenience store nearby.

 

“What do you want to eat?” Eric pointed at the bright and colorful food packages that filled the aisle.

 

Honestly, Hyesung was very much frightened by the bright light inside the convenience store he couldn’t think of anything. He felt so exposed and unprotected. He shuddered from time to time and got really nervous. Should I call Junjin to help me? He thought.

 

“I don’t eat. Vampire only drinks.” Hyesung said slowly – still felt threatened by the bright light that surrounding him from every direction. He glanced the door nervously – eager to go immediately.

 

“Oh, right.” Eric then scoffed lightly. “Let’s go get you something to drink then.” Eric then took Hyesung to the chiller.

 

“What do you usually drink?” Eric asked as he opened the glass door.

 

“Blood.” Hyesung answered flatly.

 

Eric rolled his eyes but still smiling. “How about juice?”

 

“Is that sweet? I don’t like sweet things.”

 

“Black coffee?” Eric asked again.

 

“Whatever. I want to get out from here.” Hyesung mumbled.

 

Five minutes later, they were sitting on a bench under the tree. Hyesung sighed in relieved when he once again was protected under the shadow.

 

“You’re really pale. Haven’t you eaten?” Eric asked when he handed the coffee can to Hyesung.

 

“I said I don’t eat. And I said, I am a vampire – so it’s only normal that I am pale.” Hyesung accepted the can even though he was sure he wouldn’t want to drink it. “I only blushed after I blood.” Hyesung pouted – just how many times he needs to explain that he’s a vampire to make Eric understand?

 

“Can’t you talk normally?” Eric started to get impatient himself.

 

“This is how I normally talk.” Hyesung answered stubbornly.

 

“You’re weird.” Eric said silently as he sipped his coffee, but Hyesung heard it anyway. His father wasn’t the only one with excellent hearing.

 

“You’re weirder.” Hyesung snapped. Eric turned his head abruptly, clearly didn’t expect that Hyesung would hear it.

 

“Well, I am not the one who dresses in all black and stands in the dark all night here.” Eric said mockingly.

 

“How can you not afraid of me at all?” Hyesung glanced to Eric’s neck, if he wanted to bite it, now was the perfect time. But somehow, he didn’t want to do it. He wanted to hear the reason why this Eric wasn’t scared of him at all.

 

“Why do I have to be scared? You’re beautiful. You have clear eyes and nice lips. Your skin is smooth and soft – even though it’s pale. And your voice is nice too. You’re not scary at all. Can’t you see yourself in the mirror?”

 

Hyesung shook his head. “Vampire has no reflection on the mirror. I can’t see myself on the mirror.” He said slowly. Eric only scoffed on that.

 

“Oh, I have fangs!” Hyesung suddenly said. “See?” He then grinned and displayed his fangs.

 

But Eric only blinked at those four pointy white teeth with blank face. “Your dentist is good, I guess. It looks like real.” He commented dryly.

 

Hyesung really wanted to run and weep.

 

“Can’t you just act normally?” Eric said slowly after a minute of silence.

 

“What do you mean?” Hyesung said weakly – too shocked to learn that he was not scary at all. What’s the point of being a vampire if I am not scary anyway?

 

“If you like me, why don’t you just say it in a more normal way?” Eric’s voice sounded so strange and hard to understand.

 

“Like? Who says that I like you?” Hyesung shrieked. Is this man’s brain alright at all? Hyesung thought.

 

“My brain is alright, thank you.” Eric said immediately.

 

“Did I just say that out loud?” Hyesung gasped.

 

“Yes.”

 

“And what makes you think that I like you?” Hyesung unconsciously moved away from Eric.

 

“You waited and stalked on me for many nights, then you tried to kiss me.” Eric said innocently.

 

“I wasn’t trying to kiss you! I was trying to bite you! How on earth, you think that I tried to kiss you?” Hyesung shouted so loud he felt dizzy.

 

“Some people have on the neck. You do, don’t you?” Eric shrugged nonchalantly.

 

Hyesung shuddered heavily now. “You’re crazy.” Hyesung was about to stand but Eric grabbed his hand.

 

“So you don’t like me?” Eric asked earnestly.

 

“No. What I really want is to bite your neck, and your blood and drain it until the very last drop.” Hyesung snapped.

 

“Oh, wow. Is that the new phrase of flirting?” Eric said still in blank expression. “You’re a little weird, but I think you’re kind of cute.”

 

Hyesung now was frightened to death. Please God, save me. Hyesung prayed.

 

“Let me go!” Hyesung screamed and pushed Eric until he released his hand. He then dashed and the first moment he found a shadow, he jumped and flew back to his family’s house.

 

***

 

“Hyung, let’s go hunting!” Junjin entered Hyesung’s room that night.

 

“No.” Hyesung shook his head in horror. He then hid under his blanket and said miserably, “I don’t want to meet human anymore. Human is scary.”

 



 

PS. Laura, now it's your turn to write your version of Hyesung the clumsy vampire.. ^^