The One That Got Away

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

 

“Hyung, what are you doing here?” Andy, my little brother, tapped my shoulder from behind.

 

I flicked my cigarette and stepped on it. “Waiting for you.”

 

“Why don’t you wait for me inside?” Andy asked.

 

“I don’t want to sit alone.” I mumbled. He smiled then pushed me to enter the café. To tell the truth, I was dead tired right now. But Andy said he wanted to have a drink with me. So I decided to meet him at the café inside this hotel. I’ve been here since afternoon though. We sat at the only vacant table near the exit door, because this small café was surprisingly full.

 

“How was the preparation, Hyung?” Andy asked when we waited for our drink.

 

“Just usual.” I shrugged my shoulder. Didn’t he understand that I don’t want to talk about this matter?

 

“It’s frustrating, eh?” Andy once again showed his sympathy. But what he could do for me other than showing some sympathy anyway? He helped me more than enough to persuade our parents, nothing worked. The decision was made, I had to marry this girl next month. And here I was, trapped in this sickening wedding preparation. Going here and there to fit my tux, took pre-wed photos, accompanied my future wife to pick wedding dress, invitation, flower, and cakes. And even today, I had to tail her when she once again changed her choice of the wedding hall’s decoration. Why she was very enthusiastic to marry me even though I never hide my indisposed, I don’t really understand.

 

Our drinks finally came so I grabbed the glass and quickly downed it in one go before ordered another glass. My head started to hurt, but it nothing different from my frustration these past weeks. The fact that I had to marry for our company’s sake was bad enough. But the worst part was the obligation to marry the girl I don’t even like – let alone love – when I knew for sure that I was gay.

 

Andy gave up his attempt to make a conversation when he saw my grim expression. We sat in silent and for the first time, I focused on the café atmosphere. There were a lot of people here, couples mainly. As I looked around, I thought they’re all here for the same purpose, since everyone of them fixed their gaze to the small stage where a band was playing. I turned my gaze to the stage too and a second later something happened.

 

He was playing with his band. He sat on a stool and sang heartily. He closed his eyes and held the microphone as he delivered his sad lyric. His voice and his words were like heaven in my hurricane. My knees buckled under the table. I thought everyone was watching me. Watching him saved my life with the song.

 

Since then, I always sat at that table near the exit door every night to watch his performance. I was watching intently at his everything; his brown hair, his small eyes, his thin lip, his long fingers, his slender feature; and being hypnotized by his voice and his song every night. And every night, he saves my life with the song again and again.

 

After a long day and piles of work, at night I found my home at the metal seat near the exit door of the café. I was just feet away from him and somehow it calmed me in a way that I couldn’t explain. I couldn’t touch him, but his voice reached me deeper than anyone ever could. “You were mine, in the back of my head.” Sometimes I whispered it on the seldom moment when he actually looked at me. Or at my direction. I wasn’t really sure. And at midnight, when his performance ended and I had to go home, I always prayed, “Just for one night. Just for a while. Let him be mine.”

 

Whenever I was somewhere else, I felt that my life was more miserable than before. There was no his voice to soothe me, no his face to make me smile, and no his song to save my sanity. Why didn’t I meet him any sooner? There was always one that got away. The one that sneaked up on you that slipped away.

 

Two weeks later, when he took his break time, he surprised me by approaching me then sitting on my table. He brought a drink on his hand and greeted me. His face was a bit tired but his smile was radiating. His forehead and neck were shiny of his sweat, with some strands of wet hair stuck on it. He was beautiful.

 

“You’ve been here for two weeks without missing even one day.” He stated. He sat relaxed on the seat before me and sipped his drink slowly.

 

“I’m your fan.” No, I love you.

 

“I’m Shin Hyesung.” He said while smiling. “And you’re Mun Eric.” He added quickly.

 

“How do you know my name?” I asked confused.

 

“Many people here know who you are. Or at least, your name.” He shrugged. “And that you’ll marry the minister’s daughter two weeks from now here in this hotel.” He continued carefully. I felt my body tensed at his words. No, you were supposed to save me with your words! I don’t need you to remind me about my hopelessness!

 

“I don’t bring my car today. Would you drive me home tonight?” He suddenly asked. “But, is it okay for you to wait until I was done singing?” He smiled again.

 

“I’ll wait.”

 

***

 

“Hyung, are you ready?” Andy asked me softly. I turned around to check my tux one more time on the mirror. I took a deep breath and forced myself to stand tall. Such a fortunate that I wasn’t a person who cries easily. If not, then I would be on the floor wailing my desperation.

 

“Yeah, Andy. I’m ready.” I said before followed him walked out of the groom’s waiting room. The wedding ceremony would be started soon.

 

But on every step I took, I was thinking about him and him only. About that night when I drove him home and he invited me to come inside. I was sitting in his apartment while he was making cappuccino. And I said dumbly, “What kind of man makes cappuccino?” But that was the only awkward moment we had. One minute later, when we sat close side by side, we talked and laughed. We laughed and laughed until tears ran down my face.

 

He took me away from my pain and worries. He kept drawing me in with those brown eyes, I didn’t have any space in my head to feel sad or wronged. I was happy. That was the life I always wanted, be with someone I chose myself and laughed until my tears come out. I didn’t even mind his small apartment or his worn out couch. I was genuinely happy.

 

I was happy to find him in my life time. To see him smiles, to listen to his voice, to take his hand in mine, and to kiss him with all my heart.

 

“You’ll always be mine in the back of my mind.” I whispered to him softly when I was drifting away to sleep. With him in my embrace and our passion were spent. Oh yes, we had a night for just a little while. Just like my prayer, for that one night, we were completely belonged to each other. I was his and he was mine. There was always one that got away. The one that sneaked up on you that slipped away.

 

The next night, I sat again at my usual table near the exit door to watch him sings. I love him; that was one thing I knew for sure. He sent a vague smile to me from time to time. He liked me, but maybe didn’t love me yet. And too bad for us, we had too little time to share. Soon I was stuck with my family and my wedding’s final preparation, so I couldn’t see his performance again after that.

 

We had our farewell on the parking lot of the hotel, in my car when he was taking his break time, just two days before my wedding. We opened the window and smoked cigarette in glum. He smiled, that was the thing I remember clearly. He congratulated me and wished me happiness. He stepped out the car with a smile on his face and tears all over his cheeks.

 

That was when I learned that he also loves me.

 

I walked the aisle to the altar where I would wait for my bride. My parents, her parents and the guests watched me walk confidently, just like a proper proud groom. But in my head, I could only repeat one promise, “In a closed off corner of my heart, I’ll always see your face Hyesung-ah.” Whenever and wherever, Hyesung-ah, it’s you who I belonged to.

 

I wasn’t a victim of clichés. I didn’t believe in soul mates. Happy ending was bull. But then I met him and all that changed. I had a taste of love and he was still sitting on the tip of my tongue.

 

The wedding march being played and the guests turned their head to the entrance door, expecting the bride. My bride walked slowly being led by his father. She smiled shyly under her veil and came closer to me. Her father handed over her hand to me and I accepted it. Soon I would say my ‘I do’ and being a husband of a beautiful wife.

 

But I wanted to tell him one last time. “Hyesung-ah, you were mine somewhere in time. I’ll look for you first, in my next life.”

 

_____________________________________________

 

A/N

I was trying to find some inspiration here and there, and found nothing descent... But I really want to post something... >_<

So I'm stealing some idea from Pink's song titled "The One That Got Away".... *bow*

Hope you like it........