Officially Missing You, Too

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

 

A/N:

This story was inspired by a song of Geeks ft. Soyu, “Officially Missing You, Too”. But no, I don’t get the inspiration from the whole song, only from the title.. :p

The song is kind of melancholy, but somehow I got fluffy idea when I listened to it. Oh, and I’m too lazy to make new characters, so let’s just say that this story is a continuation of my oneshots titled ‘Even Though You Had a Boyfriend, I Don’t Care’.

Enjoy ^^

 



 

 

“Baby, how’s your day?” Eric asked sleepily. Hyesung glanced at the clock on the wall – 11 pm – and automatically counted that it must be 6 am on where Eric was. 

 

“My day is good, I guess. Helping Minwoo prepare year end’s party all day today. How’s Los Angeles?”

 

“Noisy. And busy. Seems like everyone here has so many things to say. And now I really regret why I have to be here and you’re so far away there?”

 

“Here we go with your whining again.” Hyesung really had the urge to hit something when he imagined the silly smile of Eric whenever he whines. His face was innocently annoying, Hyesung thought.

 

“But I really miss you. Are you sure you can’t get a ticket and come here?”

 

“It’s new year, Eric. I don’t think I can get any ticket at times like this. And again, I don’t think I’m ready to meet your family just yet.”

 

Eric only sighed. And somehow Hyesung could see in his head how his lover pouted thousands miles away at the other half of the world.

 

“Just enjoy your time with your family and don’t think about me.”

 

“Hyesung-ah, do you miss me?”

 

“No, I’m perfectly fine.” Hyesung replied almost automatically and without thinking.

 

Right after Hyesung said it, he could actually feel how the air changed.

 

“Why you always say it harshly like that?” And with that, Eric hung up.

 

***

 

Hyesung woke up the next morning and hurriedly checked his phone. Nothing.

 

Great, Hyesung thought morosely. He would be alone at New Year’s Eve, and worse than that, now his faraway lover was sulking. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid mouth! Hyesung groaned. But then again, he believed that Eric was too much hypersensitive and overly touchy feely.

 

So what, if I didn’t miss him? Hyesung thought when he stared at his blank screen.

 

“He only left for less than a week and he hopes for me became nonfunctioning because of longing him? Tch!” Hyesung grumbled and rather irritated, tossed his phone away. He lazily watched the phone bounced on his bed and dipped in his blanket. “Be sulky. I don’t care.” Hyesung stuck out his tongue at his phone, as if he did it in front of Eric. He then got up and decided to forget about the sulking man for the day.

 

They were together for six months already now, but for Hyesung, it was still very awkward. When Eric easily called him ‘Baby’ or another pet name, Hyesung couldn’t bring himself to do the same. Even until now, he simply called Eric as ‘Eric’ – no else. When Eric could say words like ‘I miss you’ through the phone very easily like last night, Hyesung just couldn’t. There were vain and sometimes too-high-pride on him that prevents him for doing so – no matter that in fact he’s kind of missing Eric. Sometimes, he felt thankful for Eric’s blunt and straightforward habit, because it helped cutting off the unnecessary misunderstanding between them. But on other times, Hyesung found Eric’s eagerness was moving too fast ahead of him.

 

Hyesung walked to open his window curtain. “Last day of 2013.” He whispered as he looked outside the apartment window and the roads below.

 

He then headed to his bathroom and ran the tap water. He washed his face and splashed some water to his neck, just to get rid of his sleepiness. When he reached for his toothbrush, his fingers touched another toothbrush on its stand. Eric’s toothbrush – for when he sleeps over at Hyesung’s apartment. Hyesung couldn’t help but smile and pouted at the same time when he remembered the moment when last month that sneaky bastard brought those brand new toothbrushes.

 

“Your birthday present.” Eric said that night when he handed Hyesung one slim box. The box was wrapped poorly and no card attached. Hyesung was positive that it was Eric himself who wrapped his present. When Hyesung ripped open its wrapping paper, he finally saw two toothbrushes inside. One in white and another one in black color.

 

For a second or two, Hyesung hoped he saw it wrong.

 

“Yah! What useless thing you give me on my birthday?!” Hyesung snapped and pouted. Good thing they were at Hyesung’s house at the moment – having their dinner just the two of them.

 

“It’s for when I sleep over here. I’ll take the black and you take the white.” Eric answered coyly and with evident mischievous glint on his eyes. Hyesung widened his eyes in horror after he had heard that.

 

Of course he understood what Eric’s implied by that. Eric had been talked about the matter since a month before.

 

“Yah! Wait –  wait – ” Hyesung stammered and moved away from Eric – even though it was not possible since Eric already grabbed his waist. “Yah! Today is my birthday! It was you who supposedly make me feel happy and blessed. Not the other way around!” Hyesung said in understandable panic.

 

“Well, I think those kind of acts is mutual deed. We can feel happy and blessed together.” Eric said naughtily and then chuckled stupidly from his own words. But for Hyesung, his words and his chuckles sounded very terrifying.

 

Hyesung wanted to reply but he only produced choked sounds. Not that he hated the idea – the truth was, he was kind of fancy the idea. But of course he couldn’t tell it out loud. Inside his head, he was counting the days of them being together. Four months. Is it a good idea to do it after dating for only four months? Hyesung thought. But Eric didn’t give him any minute longer to think of the answer, because then he hugged and kissed Hyesung with no sign of retreating.

 

Well, Hyesung thought as he slowly followed Eric’s lead, if he doesn’t want to retreat then I won’t tell him to.

 

And so, the next day, Eric and Hyesung brushed their teeth with their brand new toothbrush together at Hyesung’s bathroom. Standing side by side, their expression couldn’t be more different. Eric was wearing a smug and proud and happy face; while Hyesung’s face was flushed, a little embarrassed but happy nevertheless. Since that day, that same black toothbrush stayed on Hyesung’s bathroom – waiting for his owner who came at every weekends and sometimes, weekdays too.

 

After finished taking his bath, Hyesung hurriedly got dressed and walked back to his bedroom. When he checked his phone, he saw one message from Minwoo but none from Eric. Hyesung pouted to his phone because this was the first time Eric failed to send him any message since his leaving to visit his family. He wanted to send a text to Eric, but didn’t know what to say, so he ended up putting his phone back on his bedside table and walked to his kitchen. He prepared simple breakfast of toast and jam and a cup of black coffee. When he sat down on his dining table and was munching his toast, he realized how lonely he felt. With no other person to talk and no other sound except for his quiet breathing. His mind began wandering to Eric again. Whenever they eat together, they would chat and laugh earnestly from merely stupid jokes. And now when Eric wasn’t here, Hyesung realized how different the mood without him.

 

Hyesung couldn’t take the silence, so he hurriedly brought his plate and glass to the living room. Turning on his television and blasting the volume loud so he didn’t need to listen to a voice inside his head. When he resumed his breakfast, deep down he knew why he felt so restless. And that had nothing to do with the silence.

 

Lack with anything else to do next – except for the plate and glass in front of him that needed to be washed – Hyesung then leaned back on his couch and lazily watched the television. After five minutes or so wasting his time watching drama rerun that he couldn’t quite follow the story, Hyesung unconsciously glanced to his couch and coffee table. On the table, there were stacked Eric’s magazines. Hyesung furrowed his forehead when one question arose – since when Eric kept his things inside my house?

 

He blinked when then he realized that those magazines were there since months ago. But he always overlooked them and not put too much thought on them. Hyesung glanced around his living room and was taken aback to see there were more of Eric belongings was scattered at his living room. Eric’s CDs and DVDs, Eric’s basketball, and even Eric’s freakin’ credit card bills. Hyesung wondered how he could miss the times Eric left his stuffs in his apartment. But as he was thinking about that, he recalled Eric’s shoes on his shoe rack, Eric’s clothes inside his closet, and Eric’s stuffs at his bathroom and drawer.

 

Since when we were this close? I thought we are just in beginning stage but half of his things already in my place.  Hyesung asked himself in utter surprise. And where the hell I was for not realizing it?

 

Hyesung got up and brought his dirty plate to the sink. He really wanted to leave them there, but then his eyes caught a bright pink post-it note nearby. Written with Eric’s handwriting, it said ‘Wash it, Shin Hyesung! I’ll give you a kiss later.’ For a moment, Hyesung had forgotten about that post-it note Eric made before he left – using Hyesung’s words to mock him.

 

Hyesung clicked his tongue but then he smiled. Half-reluctantly, he washed the plate and glass, but his mind was already wandering to Eric again. Hyesung hated to wash the dishes or clean his house in any form. Whenever Eric came, Hyesung would ask him to help washing the dishes or cleaning the table, but it always ended up in Eric did the whole things while Hyesung gave the direction. On those moments, Hyesung would naughtily said, “Please help me, I’ll give you a kiss later.” Sometimes he did kiss Eric later, more times he didn’t. But Eric would always help the next time Hyesung asked him.

 

Hyesung dried his hand with the towel and put it back near the sink. That’s right, he thought, Eric was always whining but he never said no to me. And Hyesung had to bite his lip when he counted the numerous times he said no to Eric – often times for absolutely no reason whatsoever. And then Eric would whine, and Hyesung would scold him for sulking, and then they would exchanged some light insult, and then Hyesung would pout, and then Eric would apologize.

 

“How in the world he bear with me? I’m an awful person.” Hyesung muttered for himself as he leaned on the sink. He thought about calling Eric but when he checked his watch – 9 am – he counted that it was 4 pm at Eric’s place. Hyesung sighed weakly, knowing that Eric would be unreachable by now – the wedding ceremony would start soon.

 

He knew he could send Eric a message, but there was still vain inside him that makes him hesitates. So he shamelessly his computer and even though he knew that it was pathetic of him, he played internet games instead.

 

He then had lunch at a café near his apartment and leisurely finished his lunch because he didn’t wish to get back to his quiet apartment. On his way home, he came by a convenience store to buy cigarette and snacks. He mindlessly picked the cigarette and some snacks and paid them. Only then when he arrived home, he realized that he just purchased the wrong cigarette brand – instead of purchasing his usual brand, he actually purchased Eric’s usual.

 

“Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I’m going crazy!” Hyesung spitted the words, totally couldn’t believe his blunder. He cursed once again and left his snacks on his kitchen counter untouched after that.

 

That evening at Minwoo’s party, Hyesung purposely stuck his phone on his deepest pocket – so it would be difficult for him reaching it. Almost twenty four hours passed and still no call or text from Eric. Even an idiot could see it – Eric was mad at him. Big time. Hyesung knew that he should call Eric first but like a terrified deer, he didn’t dare – instead, he grew some kind of phobia towards his own phone.

 

During the party, he mindlessly exchanged some insignificant conversations with his friends while nursing his beer. Right now, he was half-regretting bringing his phone with him because he could not concentrate on anything other than the weight inside his pocket. But at the same time, he was very much hoping Eric would call him and when he does, Hyesung would make sure not missing it.

 

“Just call him.” Minwoo suddenly whispered from behind him.

 

“Yah! You startled me!” Hyesung was just a second away from smacking Minwoo’s head just from a pure reflex.

 

“If you miss him, just call him. Why act like a helpless teenager?” Minwoo asked in a mocking tone. And at that very moment, Hyesung regretted why he had to tell about Eric’s mad at him to Minwoo. Now Minwoo would have a legit material to all night.

 

“Shut up!” Hyesung then gulped his beer and cleared his throat after that. “It’s early morning at his place. He must be sleeping right now.” Hyesung mumbled as his defense.

 

Minwoo eyed him, amused by his friend’s stubbornness. “I know him. If you call him, he will no longer mad at you. He turns into an idiot whenever he deals with you anyway.” Minwoo said and shrugged his shoulders at the same time.

 

Before Hyesung could reply, there’s a couple walked in front of them. The girl giggled shyly as his boyfriend whispered on her ear. Minwoo and Hyesung sighed at the very same time because of the sight.

 

“By the way, it’s to be alone on new year like now.” Minwoo sighed again.

 

“There’s still time for you to get a girl before countdown.” Hyesung mumbled. “Now go. Be a good host.” Hyesung pushed Minwoo away and after that, slipped into one dimmed corner where no one would mind him. He sniffed his own shirt where he sprayed Eric’s cologne on it. Since Eric left five days ago, he secretly used Eric’s cologne instead of his own from mere curiosity. Because he always thought Eric smelled good, he wanted to try his cologne on himself. It was definitely the same cologne, but the scent was somehow different from what he recalled as Eric’s smells. And only by the thought, he started to miss Eric’s hug.    

 

From where he sat, Hyesung could see few couples sat closely. They were smiling and holding hands, but Hyesung wasn’t envy them. Because no matter how he sees it, there’s always something not right. The man embraced her too tight or the girl forced her insincere laugh. Hyesung smiled a little when his mind wandered to Eric again. With Eric, he just knew how to treat Hyesung appropriately. When they were alone Eric could be a whiny and childish kid, but whenever they in public, Eric was a cool person. He would stand far enough to ensure Hyesung feels comfortable but close enough to make Hyesung feels accompanied. His hugs were warm and tight, but not suffocating. Hyesung would not use ‘protected’ or ‘safe’ to describe Eric’s hugs, but one thing for sure – Eric’s hugs made him feels that he was right where he should be, he wouldn’t wish to be somewhere else than here. When they ate together, Hyesung would arranged the food and Eric’s glass of water on his reach, and Eric would nod silently. But for Hyesung it was enough of appreciation. Just enough, not too much. And Hyesung liked that.

 

Eric always stayed close to him in these six months and never failed to call him regularly, so it was easy for Hyesung to take him for granted. Hyesung loved him but always had the slight doubt whether Eric was the right one. That was why when Eric asked him to go with him to attend his cousin’s wedding and meet his family, Hyesung quickly said no. He felt like he wasn’t sure and definitely wasn’t ready yet. But now, when Eric was thousands miles away from him, he realized that he could not get anyone better than the man he already had.

 

“Sorry Minwoo, but I think I’ll go home now.” Hyesung sheepishly apologized to Minwoo five minutes later.

 

Minwoo only snickered and nodded. “Make up with him.” He said shortly. Hyesung smiled shyly and nodded too. “Send him my regard. And happy new year!” Minwoo laughed as he hugged Hyesung. “Now go!”

 

Hyesung drove the busy street while arranging the words he would say when he calls Eric later. But Hyesung almost frustrated on that task – he was always bad in wording his mind. Once he arrived at his apartment, he headed to his bedroom and without changing his suit, he curled under his blanket. He was so nervous now, and he thought that safest place was under his blanket after all. He took a final deep breath before pressing Eric’s number. First call wasn’t picked up. Hyesung tried again. Eric finally picked up at that.

 

“Yeah?” Eric’s voice sounded groggy – he was just awaked.

 

“Hey, it’s me. Did I wake you?” Hyesung asked stupidly.

 

“Yeah. I just fell asleep three hours ago, I guess.” Eric’s words were slurry as if he was drifted to sleep again.

 

“Eric?” Hyesung was surprised to hear he’s shrieking.

 

“Yes? What is it?”

 

“Is it a good time to call you? Because I am.. uh… I think I… um, that I am… I mean I…”

 

“Slow down, Hyesung-ah. What is it?”

 

Long pause when Hyesung tried to control his breath. “I miss you.” Hyesung finally whispered. “Like very very missing you now, I’d be crazy if I said otherwise.”

 

There was only silence from Eric’s end. Because in his half-awake mind, Eric could only smile and said no word at that moment. Listen to his lover’s breathless confession had filled his chest with sudden and delighted warmth. But for Hyesung, the silence was nerve wrecking. Those two seconds of silence were like eternity for Hyesung as he waited for anything Eric would say.

 

“Now you make me missing you even more, Hyesung-ah.” Eric finally said with his husky voice. But from the way he said it, his voice unmistakably contained a smile.

 

With much relieve, Hyesung hugged his pillow and shamefully buried his face on it. He felt like dying from embarrassment right now, but his mouth was moving without his control anymore. He mumbled to his phone, “I am officially missing you, Eric.”

 

Hyesung could hear a silent chuckle, before Eric answered softly, “And I’m officially missing you, too.”

 



 

PS. Oh yeah, I can be very cheesy whenever I let myself to. XD XD XD