Chapter Nine

Forbidden Love

Taeyeon's POV

 

Whaat?!

 

 

Stop!

 

 

Noooo!

 

 

I won’t!

 

 

Period.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah ~ Come on! Lee Teuk is nice. Just one date. One date! Pleeeease!” said Sunny eagerly as she showed off her aegyo.

 

“Stop it! Your aegyo won’t work on me this time.” I said with a stern look.

 

Sunny wants me to date her childhood friend, Lee Teuk. Like seriously? Me? I’m happy being single. I don’t need someone. I don’t need a boyfriend. Plus, I hate his name. 'Teuk'? Sounds awful.

 

“Taeyeon-aaaaah ~ You have to start finding love. You’re getting old. Christ!” insisted Sunny.

 

“Stop pushing, okay? You said love is a choice. Then let me choose on my own.” I said for the last time and walked away.

 

Sunny didn’t actually say that. I saw it on the web. I shook my head slowly in disbelief. How could she? I mean, she’s like my best friend and yet she keeps on pushing me to date with people. Last time, she asked me to go out with Siwon and I granted it since that time was her birthday. And now, she wants me to date this Lee Teuk? I don’t even know if this person really exists or not, you know?

 

-------

 

I went to the nearby supermarket to buy some goods. Good thing it wasn’t that crowded. I hate crowds.

 

Fresh milk, check.

 

Butter, check.

 

Eggs, check.

 

Chili powder, onions, garlic, check.

 

Noodles, check.

 

Biscuits, snack, chocolates, check.

 

Ice cream..grin..check.

 

 I strolled the cart to the sanitary section then I saw someone struggling to reach for the pads that were placed a little high. The store owner isn’t thinking well.

 

I walked over to where the person was to offer some help and to my surprise, it was Jessica. “Oh.. hi.. Jessica.” I smiled and bowed politely. She bowed back and threw a small smile.

 

“Uhm.. you need help?” I asked instantly.

 

She just stayed quiet and I assumed it was a ‘yes’ so I reached for it the best I can and even tried to jump up just to get it but to no avail. Jessica tried to hide her giggling but I heard it, then I felt my cheeks heated up. I grinned at her and tried to hide my embarrassed emotion while scratching the back of my head.

 

There was no supermarket people at the section that time, so yeah. Then, I saw a small chair, not so far from where we’re at. Aha!

 

“Wait..” I said as I motion my hand in front of her.

 

Quickly, I ran and grabbed the chair. Then I placed it down and stepped on it. Finally, I reached the pads and gave it to Jessica.

 

“Thanks.” she smiled. I blushed.

 

It has been a week now since the ankle incident happened. Jessica can walk properly now. I’m trying my best to be nice towards her as I wanted to change the impression I left on her the first time we met. But seems like she isn’t ready to forget all those things yet. She often talk to me and keeping a little distant. I don’t know, but I think Jessica doesn’t want me to be her friend. But I’m a little confused now. Look, she smiled at me.

 

“You came here only for that?” I asked.

 

She looked at me for seconds then looked away. “Oh.. yeah.”

 

----

 

Jessica’s POV

 

Seems like destiny’s playing around with me. Every time I try to keep myself away from Taeyeon, destiny would come and bump me on her. But why?

 

----

 

“Tiffany, where are we going?” I asked as I gave her a questionable look.

 

“We’re gonna meet someone.” replied Tiffany as she showed off her eye-smile.

 

We’re going to meet someone? W-wait. Oh my god. I know this.

 

“You've set a date?!”

 

“Uh-huh. One for me and one for you. So please, smile.”

 

Tiffany loves surprises. This is the third time that she set something like this. There was this..uhm.. Jay Park.. who else? Oh! That Wooyoung. And now, who?

 

**

 

“Jessica-ssi, what do you want to eat?” asked the guy.

 

Thank god, this isn’t a solo date. It’s hard to entertain someone you’re not interested with. But yeah, seems like it is coz’ we’re on different tables.

 

“Whatever is yours.” I smiled and scrutinized him secretly.

 

 Long hair.

 

Not-so beautiful eyes.

 

Pointed nose.

 

Pink lips but dry.

 

Beard on chin, yuck.

 

Floral long sleeves with bow tie?! Seriously?

 

 

He smiled and I smiled back.

 

 

Yellowish teeth. 

 

 

FAILED.

 

 

After what seems like forever, our orders came in.  

 

“So, you were born in America Jessica-ssi?” he asked.

“Yeah. That’s right.” I replied nonchalantly.

“That’s cool.” he said sounded like a little amazed.

 

After that, he told me things about him and I fake-ly listened to it. I just kept on nodding-smiling-nodding-shook-nod-smile. Okay, that’s mean, I know. But I am not interested at all.

 

Seemed like god pitied me so much, the guy finally bid goodbye. Then Tiffany’s date bid goodbye as well.

 

“How was your date?” asked Tiffany.

 

“Oh, was that one a date?” I asked sarcastically. Then Tiffany laughed out loud as she wasn’t also pleased by his date.

 

Tiffany went home earlier. I walked around first near the Han river before I head home just to kill time since I do not have anything to do at home. And I needed fresh air. I sat on the bench and stared blankly at the water for minutes.

 

“It’s not good to sit here alone at night, you know?”

 

I jumped up a little and looked over to my right.. then I saw Taeyeon, again. Is she stalking me?

 

“You mind if I join you?” she asked.

 

I shook my head and gave her a weak smile. Then I gazed back at the water. I wanted to stood up and went home but she suddenly uttered a few words.

 

“We meet every time.” she said and chuckled a little.

 

My heart raced and I felt a little unease. I moved my feet side by side to release the tension. My hands were shaking a little and I can’t look straight to her. “Uhm.. yeah. H-How did you know I’m here?” I said without looking.  

 

“By accident again, I guess? I was walking around then I saw you. Anyway, the night is beautiful, isn't it?” 

 

I simply nodded then I looked at her and held my gaze. Suddenly, my heart panicked and I could hardly breathe as I was looking at her face. Something was fluttering inside me and I swear, it wasn't ordinary.

 

She turned her gaze on me and my heart raced even more. I wanted to avert my gaze elsewhere but there was some unknown force that kept me still.

 

What am I feeling? Why am I feeling these things when she’s around me? Why? My heart never beat this way before, I swear. Is it because she have had just shown me kindness? Or is it because of something else? What happened to JESSICA-YOU-HATE-HER? No. This is not right.

 

-----

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I sat beside Jessica with my heart beating differently. I don’t know why, but after that incident, I felt like my heart started to pump the way like never before. I tried to look at her naturally, but my heart would always protest. I think.. I like her.

 

After a while of thinking into nothingness, we decided to go home. We walked silently and no one initiated a conversation. We just walked. We reached her place and she bid goodbye. Just when she was about to enter her flat, I asked for her number.

 

“Can I.. get your number, Jessica?” This is weird, I know. But I’d like to know her more. And I believe this is a better way to start…everything.

 

-------