Chapter Eight

Forbidden Love

Author's POV

 

It was already nine in the evening when the gang decided to go home. Sooyoung, Sunny, Seohyun, Yoona and Hyoyeon took the other street going to the bus stop while Taeyeon and Jessica walked over to their streets since their place was just a few blocks away from Tiffany’s. But because they doesn't seem to like each other, they didn’t walk together. Jessica walked home ahead of her, leaving her walking along in the street alone.

 

“She is Tiffany’s best friend?” Taeyeon asked herself as she placed a finger under her chin. She frowned, slightly shaking her head in disbelief. “What a small world.”

 

The fact still couldn't process in her mind. She still can’t believe it. And probably, doesn't want to believe but whether she believes it or not, it's the reality. She chuckled in disbelief and kicked the stone she saw while walking through a dark street, with all her might.

 

She was take aback by the loud scream she heard as she went along. “AAAAAA!” She thought she hit someone. 

 

Anxious about what she has just done, she wandered her eyes around to search for the person who screamed and she saw a girl at the darker part of the street, lying her on the ground and squealing in pain while trying to soothe her foot. It was dark so she could barely see the girl’s face. Without farther ado, she ran towards the girl immediately.

 

“Are y-you okay, miss? I-I’m sorry.”  asked Taeyeon with such worry in her voice as she panted.

 

The girl didn’t respond and just continued to squeal in pain. The stone hit her ankle, that’s what Taeyeon thought. She didn’t know what to do. She was completely nervous. Quickly, she held the girl’s foot and tried to soothe it by a massage without looking at her face but the girl pushed her away and squealed louder in pain.

 

“S-sorry!” uttered Taeyeon and immediately let go of the foot.

 

Just then, the girl covered her face and began to cry in pain.

 

--------

 

 Taeyeon’s POV

 

“S-sorry!” I placed down her foot immediately as it seemed like it was badly hurt. I didn’t know what to do. I tried to look at the girl’s face but she was covering her face and started crying. That made me worried more and I felt like I’m gonna get a heart attack soon. So without further ado, I carried the girl with all my might and brought her in the nearby clinic.

 

“What happened to her?” asked the doctor.

 

I gulped hard and breathed deeply to calm my nervous heart. “I-I was.. uhm.. w-walking along the street t-then I saw a stone a-and kicked it.” I stammered.

 

“I didn’t know that there was someone around. If I knew it I wouldn’t kick the stone. I swear, it was an accident!” I explained while my voice was a little shaky.

 

The doctor chuckled a little and threw me a questionable look. “You think you broke her ankle with a stone, don’t you?” he asked.

 

I nodded.

 

“She’s lucky that she didn’t broke her ankle. I think your friend might have wronged her step on the way home. It wasn’t because of the stone.” he explained.

 

“Really!? S-she’s...fine?” I asked expectantly.

 

“Yes, she is. You can take her home in a while.”

 

I heaved a sigh of relief and whispered, “Thank god!”

 

I stepped in to the girl’s ward to check her condition, and to my surprise, it was.. Jessica. My eyes widened in surprise and my mouth went agape as soon as I saw her. Now, this is getting more weird.

 

“J-Jessica?” I asked.

 

She looked at me but she seemed to be not surprised. She knew it even before I brought her here, doesn’t she? I walked up to her and sat on the chair just beside her bed.

 

I stayed silent for seconds before I break the ice. “I-I didn’t know it was y-you.” I stammered.

 

I was expecting for a reply, but she didn’t utter any word and just stayed quiet.

 

“Does it.. hurt still?”

 

Still, she's unresponsive.

 

“T-The doctor said you’re fine n-now. You c-can go home in a while.”

 

I looked at her and smiled but she was looking down. Is she mad at me? I pushed out a sigh silently. Then after a few seconds, she stood up. I hurriedly walked towards her to help her up. I put my right arm around her waist and the other on her hand to support her balance. She gave me a look I can’t describe and my heart panicked by her gaze as our faces were just about an inch or two away.

 

She squealed in pain again when she tried to step her injured foot forward.  

 

“A-Are you okay!?” I asked worriedly as I tightened my grip on to her.

 

“I-I am. Thanks.” retorted Jessica. She smiled.

 

You know what's odd there? I kind of felt something fluttered inside me after seeing her smile.

 

------

 

 

Jessica’s POV

 

I left Tiffany’s house at around nine. Thank god my house’s just a few blocks away or else I’ll be dead. After all that has happened today, and after finding out that, that girl’s Tiffany’s friend too, I don’t think I still have the energy to walk as quick as I can.

 

The street was dark and ghostly quiet. There wasn’t much people. There wasn’t any, actually. And I kind of felt scared. I walked quickly as the ambiance was getting scary already. As I was halfway through my walk, I heard something from behind me and that scared the hell out of me, causing me to fall badly on the ground hurting my ankle first.

 

I squealed in pain. I tried to stand up but it hurt so much that all I did was to soothe the pain slowly and carefully. I felt like crying at the thought that no one would save me since there was no one else in the street.

 

Then after a few seconds, I heard a shuffling of feet. I got scared suddenly so I looked down and prayed, hoping that it wasn’t a bad person or something.

 

“Are y-you okay, miss? I-I’m sorry.”  went up a voice.

 

I didn’t reply a word since I was in so much pain. I was trying to suppress my squeal and trying to fight back the pain but it hurt so badly. Suddenly, the girl held my foot and massaged it carelessly so I pushed her shoulder and squealed. Then I got surprised to see who the girl was. It was Taeyeon.

 

“S-sorry.” Taeyeon said as soon as I pushed her without looking at me.

 

I looked at her and she looked so worried. The pain started to grow more so I covered my eyes and cried. Then she immediately carried me and brought me to the nearest clinic.

 

I covered my face all the way to the clinic as I do not want Taeyeon to see me crying. The nurses brought me to the patient’s room, x-rayed my foot. “No fracture.” I heard them say. Then they put something on my foot to ease the pain. Taeyeon came in after a while.

 

I looked at her with my expressionless face as I saw her widened eyes. She was surprised, I know.

 

I looked down and thought. Somehow, I was thankful to her. If it wasn’t because of her, I would have been stuck in that creepy street or probably crawling back home by now. It’s weird, but I just couldn’t look at her. I felt shy. I felt the guilt gushing all over my body. For shouting at her. For embarrassing her. For…being a little.. harsh. 

 

“I-I didn’t know it was y-you.” she uttered.

 

I stayed quiet and didn’t retort. Still looking down. I wanted to thank her but I just couldn’t say it. You know that pride?

 

“Does it.. hurt still?”

 

My heart raced when I heard ‘concern’ in her voice. I looked at her through the corner of my eye and I saw worry in her. I'm afraid that if she continued to show that, I might just like her. 

 

“T-The doctor said you’re fine n-now. You c-can go home in a while.”

 

I didn’t want to hear another from her so I stood up. Then my heart skipped a beat when she ran to me and helped me up. I gulped hard, I felt my legs weakened a little by her grip. Then I unconsciously looked at her, in the eyes.

 

I looked away immediately and stepped my injured foot forward carelessly and so I squealed again.

 

“A-Are you okay?” Her tightened around me which sent tingles in my body. 

 

I gulped down a bit as she shown me ‘concern’ through her words. Why is she acting this way? We have had just a fight earlier right? She should be cold towards me and I should to her. But what is happening now?

 

----

 

Taeyeon insisted on sending me home even though I said no. I kind of felt scared so I let her do so. We walked slowly as my foot wasn’t that okay yet. Silence engulfed the entire street and only our foot steps could be heard. I looked at her secretly and my heart galloped a little in bliss. I shook my head and brushed away the thoughts.  

 

After a few minutes of silence, “T-This is now my place. T-Thanks. You can g-go now.” I said hesitantly.

 

 “Oh.. I-I’ll wait for you to go in first.” she gestured her hand to my flat's direction and plastered a smile. It was a genuine smile.

 

Why is she like this? She helped me. She saved me. She showed me care. She showed me concern. She sent me home. Is she planning on doing something bad again? Is this some kind of her evil plan? No! Stop smiling at me. I have just hated you. Stop showing kindness.

 

Jessica, you HATE her alright?

 

 ------