Chapter Sixteen

Forbidden Love

 

Taeyeon's POV

 

“I….like you.”

 

My heart galloped wildly and my lungs stopped to function for seconds after I heard what Jessica said just now. It was as if I’d been poured on a drum of cold water that I couldn’t even make a tiny movement. I was totally dumbstruck. I was lost for words. Then, after a minute of silence, she pulled away her arms around me and stood up.

 

“I-I’m sleepy now. Let’s go back.” She said and started to walk back.

 

“Wait.” I said as soon as I stood up and she halted. “W-What did you say…just a while ago?” I asked, with my heart pounding crazily, she could even hear it as the place was really deadly silent.

 

I waited for her to reply but she just stood there as if she didn’t hear anything. I couldn’t let the moment slip away so I walked near her and as soon as I began to reach her back, I asked again, “What was it, Jessica?”

 

There was silence for seconds and I patiently wait for her to say something. “I said…I’m sleepy.” She said at last, but still not facing me.

 

Silence engulfed us again. Just when she started again to walk, I held her wrist to stop her in her track and pulled her to face me. I looked directly into her eyes. “You…like me?” I asked, with my voice full of expectations. I want to hear those words again from her. I want to know if she really mean it. I want to know it so badly.

 

She looked away and didn’t utter a word. I could see anxiousness on her. I know she was feeling nervous that I might hate her for this, but doesn’t she know that I was dying to hear those words from her? 

 

“Jessica…” I said as I pressed on her hand gently. “Look at me.” I heaved a deep sigh to build up my confidence. I observed her for a split second and she started to meet my gaze again. “There’s something I wa-“

 

“Taeyeon-ah?” A voice cut me down and I immediately took off my hand on Jessica’s.

 

“Jessica? What are you two doing here?” Sunny’s face appeared from the dark that was just in front of us.

 

Why does she have to appear and break the moment? I was getting there already. I was just about to confess! Nice entry Sunny-ah!

 

I threw a fake cough and stretched my hands upward as that was the least idea I knew to wash away the weird thoughts that’d ran through Sunny’s head, if ever there was any.

 

“We were…just…killing time since we…can’t sleep..yet. You know?” I stammered. “We…are actually..heading back now.” I grinned and chuckled nervously as I patted her shoulder to move forward. Then we head back to our tent.

 

The moment we reached the tent, Sunny bid good night to Jessica who was just about to enter her tent. Then she faced us and bid good night as well. Our eyes met before we went in.

 

Before I even drag my body to bed and enjoy the rest of the night in my dreamland, Sunny said something which made my body went shivering a little.

 

“I believe you’re hiding something from me, Taeyeon-ah.” She threw me a look which I couldn’t describe before she lied down. “Let’s talk about it tomorrow. Good night.” She smiled and hid her entire body under the blanket. I didn’t have to rack my brain to know what it was. Sunny knew it. And I’m so dead.

 

-------

 

“At my house. Later, okay?” Sunny said and ran towards Sooyoung. I pushed out a sigh of helplessness as we began to walk to the bus stop to meet our coaster, but it hasn’t arrived yet and so we waited.

 

We were supposed to stay at the campground for another day but something came up, so yeah. I saw Sunny glanced at me a few times. She’s probably getting proofs on her suspicion so I tried to keep myself away from Jessica for a while although I knew it’s no use.

 

When Sunny wasn’t looking, I glanced at Jessica surreptitiously and she was busy with her phone. When I looked at her again, she was still on her phone, then I began to wonder what’s keeping her so busy.

 

A few minutes later, the coaster arrived. The gang boarded in first. Just when I was about to board in as well, I noticed Jessica still sitting on, facing her phone, still. “Jessica, the coaster is already here.” I said but received no response. I called for her again, but still, she didn’t reply so I decided to walk over her and held her wrist to catch her attention. She flinched and almost dropped her phone. “The coaster has arrived. Come on.” I pulled her ahead.

 

 

“You can sit next to Tiffany at the back.” I said.

 

“No, it’s okay. I’m going to sit beside you.” She insisted. “Would you mind?”

 

I shook my head and smiled. I let her sat next to the window and I, next to her. I moved a little to my right to give her enough space then she frowned and tilted her head as soon as she noticed that. “Uhm… I was just… sitting up…properly.” I explained and moved closer again to her.

 

I observed her secretly and finally knew what she was into. She’s playing a game. So, that’s the reason why she didn’t notice the coaster arrived earlier? Cool. She seemed so focused and so serious with the game. I’ve done a few things to get her attention but none of them worked.

 

“Jessica….?” I tried again, hoping to get her attention this time.

 

“Yes?” I got her! But her gaze was still on her phone. I pursed my lips, placed my palms together in front of my face, as if I was going to pray, rubbed them for seconds and pouted. “Can you-“

 

“AAAAAA! Noooooo!!” Jessica’s dolphin-like scream cut my sentence off and made my heart almost leaped out. I blinked my eyes a few times and rubbed my chest to check if my heart was still beating.

 

“Omo! What’s that?!” Sooyoung exclaimed in horror. “Ah! Sica-ah! Control yourself.” Tiffany said and everybody burst out laughing.

 

“Sorry…” I noticed Jessica’s face went red. She looked down and hid it away from me. I tried to hold my laughter but to no avail as she looked so adorable when blushing. “Yah!” She hissed and pushed me a little. I straighten my lips and composed myself again before I apologized. “I’m sorry…” I said then I received a cold stare before she looked out of the window.

 

“Are you…mad?” I asked softly. I waited for her to reply but she just ignored me then she leaned back her head and closed her eyes. Did I just offend her? Stupid Taeyeon! I heaved a sigh and wandered my eyes around the bus, trying to think of a way to cheer up the mad princess.

 

Just as soon as a thought came into my mind, I leaned forward to her and whispered, “You know… I can win the game for you. I’m… good at it. I swear.” I said, sounded as if I was talking to a child and offering some sweets. I leaned back and  let out a sigh as I saw no tiny reaction from her, as though she can’t hear me or something.

 

After a few seconds, “Really?” I heard her say. I turned my head and saw her arching an eyebrow.

 

“Trust me.” I said, with such confidence in my voice and smiled. She handed over her phone and I took it gladly before I threw her my confident nod. I began to play.

 

 

 

 

 

You try to pull it a little longer!

 

 

 

 

Ahh.. Okay.. okay…

 

 

 

 

 

Oh my! We’re running out of time!

 

 

 

 

 

Please keep quiet….

 

 

 

 

 

 

Come on……… Taeyeon!

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m gonna hit it!..... I’m gonna hit it!....

 

 

 

 

 

*Deep sigh of disappointment*

 

 

“Aish! Stupid bird!” I can’t believe I lost the game. I failed, in front of Jessica. This is embarrassing, no! This is more than embarrassing. I wanna bury myself!

 

“Eeesh! You said you can win it. I should have played it myself.” Jessica snatched the phone from my grip. “I’m better than you.” She smirked and began to jab her phone again.

 

Now, she’s probably thinking that I’m weak. That game is actually stupid. I mean, why do you have to throw these birds over those poor pigs? That’s just… eyes move sideways….heartless, you know?

 

“I failed it… on purpose, actually.” I explained. “Because… I suddenly felt bad……for the pig.”

 

I swallowed, feeling color swept through my face as soon as Jessica burst out laughing. I looked down to hide my flustered face.

 

“I’m sorry…” She apologized and slid her phone in her bag. “Forget about the game. And I’m not mad.”

 

“Hmm…” I nodded and gave her a smile. I looked into her eyes. I observed her for a while and her gaze just made butterflies in my stomach fluttered in bliss. Does she know that she’s so beautiful?

 

“Why?” she asked and looked away.

 

“Oh.. uhm.. just… your eyes are beautiful.” My face flustered when I realized what I’ve just said. Then, there was silence. I laid my head back and took a nap to take myself away from the awkwardness circling around us. ‘This is not the right place, Taeyeon.’ I said in my head.

 

-------

 

TBC.