Chapter 8 : Cupcakes

Broken Arrow

 

"Hi." He said. Jessica looked up and her smile disappeared. She looked away and ignored him. Nichkhun eyed the both of them, looking at Jessica then at Donghae.
 
"Jess." He called out seriously. She continued to ignore him. He turned to Nichkhun and shot him an unpleasant look.
 
"W-what?" He mouthed awkwardly. 
 
"Go away." Donghae whispered as he pulled Nichkhun's arm. Nichkhun stood up and gave way to Donghae, whom sat down on the seat. Nichkhun huffed and shot Donghae a glare before walking off. 
 
"Hey, what's wrong?" Donghae held onto Jessica's arm. 
 
She ignored him again. This time, Donghae turned her around so that she will face him.
 
"Are you mad?" 
 
"Yeah. I am."
 
"Why?"
 
"I don't know, apparently someone ditched me in school and didn't reply me. Wow." Jessica snapped. Donghae opened his mouth to say something but he didn't say anything. "Look, I am really sorry for being late, but that doesn't mean you have to leave me in school and not reply me." She added on.
 
"Sorry... My phone died..." Donghae apologised.
 
"Weren't you suppose to wait for me in the field?" She snapped.
 
"Jessica, I am really sorry. My friend needed some help with work so I left the field to help her..."
 
Jessica sighed. 
 
"Sica, I didn't mean to leave you alone in school." 
 
"And you didn't reply me when you got home?" 
 
"I... I was about to..." 
 
"But you didn't." Jessica shook off Donghae's hand and turned away.
 
"Hey, I called you this morning." Donghae said. "You didn't pick up."
 
"I switched it off." She said coldly.
 
"Jess." Donghae took a deep breathe and said, "how about we go on a date tomorrow? It's Saturday tomorrow..."
 
"No."
 
"Please?"
 
"No."
 
"Please baby?"
 
Jessica hesitated before nodding her head softly. Donghae smiled before cheering and punching his fists in the air. People in the class turned to look at them.
 
"Great, thanks. Love you, I will see you after school okay? I will walk you home today! See you after school at the school gate!" Donghae grinned as he kissed Jessica on her cheeks. 
 
"Bye," Jessica blushed as she watched Donghae ran out of class. She smiled softly and looked away from the door. Her eyes stopped at Nichkhun's. A weird feeling filled her. He was staring coldly back at her. He didn't look so happy. She shrugged, ignoring him. 
 
-
 
As soon as the bell rang, Jessica packed her stuffs happily. Donghae was going to walk her home. She looked at her friend, Yoona. She was sitting at the corner of the front row. She looked really happy too. Jessica picked her bag up and headed towards her.
 
"Bye Yoona!" Yoona's seatmate Hyuna said, waving. Yoona beamed and waved to her. 
 
"Yoona," 
 
Yoona turned her head and froze when she saw Jessica.
 
"Oh hey, ditcher." Yoona hissed.
 
"I am sorry. I was late... I-"
 
"Not interested." 
 
"No, I have to tell you. My drama teacher pulled me back for some training for my juniors... She didn't allow me to leave. Plus when I texted you, you didn't reply." 
 
Yoona stared at Jessica, feeling a little sorry too.
 
"I am sorry too, I saw your message when I reached home. I left it in the locker of my gym. I only took it when I was chased off the school yesterday..." Yoona smiled, scratching her head. Jessica laughed and sat down beside her friend.
 
"You got chased out of the school?!" 
 
"Yeah, I was staying back with this guy and-"
 
"Oh my gosh! What guy?" Jessica giggled and wiggled her eyebrows. "Is he your boyfriend?!"
 
"Nah~" Yoona blushed. "He is really cute and nice..."
 
"Oh my god you like him right?" Jessica laughed and clapped excitedly.
 
"Maybe... Haha, I don't know... He makes me really... Weird." Yoona blinked, shrugging. She couldn't say she likes Donghae. Perhaps, it's just a short eye candy feeling. 
 
"OOOOH~"
 
Yoona blushed and slapped Jessica's shoulder lightly. 
 
"I am going for a study date with him after school!" Yoona whispered happily. Jessica squealed. "Shhhh!" Yoona exclaimed, covering Jessica's mouth. They both giggled at that. Thankfully, Yoona wasn't mad at Jessica anymore. But she has found a new study date... And I guess they both wouldn't want to know who it is.
 
 
Yoona took her phone out and texted Donghae.
 
Yoona : hey, where are you? Meet at the canteen, same place for study date?
 
As Donghae left for class, he felt his phone vibrate and took it out.
 
Donghae : oh yea... We have a study date. Alright will be there soon.
 
He slipped his phone back into his pocket and walked towards the cafeteria. As school as ended, the cafeteria wasn't very packed. There were only a few group of students scattered around. Donghae sat down on the table they sat before and played with his phone. It vibrated again.
 
Jessica : oppa! Where are you?
 
Donghae widened his eyes and slapped his forehead. He totally forgotten about that. He was suppose to walk her home!
 
"Crap." He muttered as he stood and was ready to walk off when Yoona jumped out scared him.
 
"Boo!" 
 
"Woah." Donghae jumped a little and grin awkwardly. 
 
"Um where are you going?" Yoona asked, sitting down instead.
 
"I can't continue the study date..." Donghae apologised.
 
"Why?" Yoona frowned.
 
"Sorry I have to-" 
 
"Great, ditched again, first my other friend ditched me yesterday and now..." Yoona bit her lips and looked down. She was really looking forward to this study date. "Can't you stay?"
 
Donghae sighed and pulled his face. He felt bad for making her upset, after all he promised her since yesterday... But what about Jessica? Oh well, he has to make a decision. 
 
 
Hyoyeon pushed open the door of the dance room and stepped it. It was dark and empty. Great, perfect for her to do some dancing. She switched on the lights and air-conditioner. Hyoyeon walked towards the mirror and dumped her bag in a corner. She took her iPod out and started blasting music. She danced to the beat, sharp and powerful. As one song passed and another played, she changed her dance steps. After four songs, she fell onto the floor tiredly.
 
Hyoyeon was sweating from head to toe but she felt relieved. The stress she had all disappeared and she felt light again. Smiling, she tied her wet sticky hair back into a ponytail. She laid onto the floor, feeling the coldness of the ground. Her smile disappeared and she realised how cold the floor was.
 
"The ground feels like the reality... Hard and cold." She mumbled, sitting back up again. "Just like home." She added. She crawled to her bag and ped it. Inside, she found the lunchbox Eunhyuk gave her. Curious about what was inside, she opened it up. 
 
Inside was four cupcakes, the first one says "I" next one has a heart on it. The third cupcake has "U" and the last cupcake has a smiley face. She giggled as the U was badly drawn. Smiling from ear to ear, she picked each one up and ate them. Her heart melting at each bite. 
 
"Thank you..." She mumbled to herself as she closed the lid. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(word count : 1,174)