Chapter 20 : Camp Part III

Broken Arrow

"Grrrrr~"

 

Nickhun rolled his eyes and looked away from Jessica who was growling and acting like a brown bear.

 

"Do I look scary?" Jessica asked, returning to her usual face.

 

"No." Nickhun stated.

 

"Beware, I'm a scary bear!" She ignored his reply. She gritted her teeth like a bear and pulled her hands up, pretending to have claws with her fingers.

 

"Aish, don't be silly, Sica." He said, shaking his head. 

 

"Well, you never know if a bear just jump on you right now." Jessica said, laughing slightly as she dropped her hands down.

 

"There's no bears here..." He said, patting her head. She scoffed, swatting his hand away.

 

"You never know." 

 

-

 

Yoona gripped onto Donghae's arm, her lips trembling in fear as her eyes darted around.

 

"What's that?" She asked as something moved in the bushes. Donghae eyes darted around as he tried to figure out what that was.

 

"I'm not sure, but that doesn't seem too good." Donghae replied, taking a few steps back from wherever he thinks the sound came from. "Do you remember the way out?"

 

"N-no..." Yoona looked up at the sky, realising that the sun was no longer blazing from the top. Instead, it seems like it was setting soon.

 

"Damn it." Donghae cursed as he tightened the grip on Yoona's hand. He looked around cautiously as Yoona face turned red. It wasn't what she expected- the warmth that she felt when he tightened his hand on hers was so amazing that she couldn't put it into words. Donghae on the other hand was feeling nothing but worry. "Let's just walk somewhere else. Maybe we can avoid whatever is making that sound." He gently led Yoona and this time, it was not like before. He wasn't daydreaming about Jessica nor Nichkhun, he was actually paying more attention to his surroundings and even Yoona. 

 

Yoona secretly wished that they would never find their way out. Honestly, she had never seen Donghae treat her like this before. Ever since the incident, he wasn't as friendly to her as before, but of course, she was too in love to even care. The two walked around a little longer, not sure if it's a good or bad thing to be seeing new things around them. The trees were no longer the same, they were a lighter colour of wood, with fruits hanging onto the branches. The grass was much more dry, with a few bushes of flowers poking up in a few areas. But they had not manage to find their way out yet. 

 

-

 

The trail was finally over, most of the pairs had gathered at the main area, where benches had formed a circle around what seems like a pile of logs and twigs.

 

"Campfire." Nichkhun mouthed, winking at Jessica. She laughed softly and looked away from him. The instructor walked to the front and blew her orange whistle. Immediately, the noise died down and everyone was watching her.

 

"Alright, campers!" She said with enthusiasm, smiling as she waved her clipboard in the air. "Was the trail a good work out?"

 

"Yeeeees!" Echoes of excited conversations filled the air.

 

"Alright!" The instructor yelled again. "I'm your head camp instructor, my name is Sooyoung! You can call me instructor Soo or Sooyoung. So now, I'm going to take your attendance. When I call your name, say present." 

 

The instructor started calling off names and the students replied with a 'present' or 'here'. 

 

"Nichkhun." The instructor called.

 

"Present." He said.

 

"Jessica."

 

"Present."

 

"Donghae." 

 

Jessica perked up at his name, glancing around for him. She felt disappointed when he was not to be found. She turned to Nichkhun and found him searching around too. The place turned silent as everyone looked around for Donghae.

 

"Donghae?" Sooyoung repeated, raising an eyebrow. Jessica looked at her, finally absorbing in her looks. She was quite a tanned girl with long legs and wavy brown hair. She didn't have any make-up on but Jessica was awed at how pretty she still was. Jessica then snapped her eyes away, realising that Donghae has not replied to his name.

 

"Where's Donghae?" A guy asked, looking around. Jessica heart almost lept out. Images of him getting lost in the jungle made her gasp and panic. 

 

"You okay?" Nichkhun asked, resting a hand on her shoulder. 

 

"Yoona isn't here either!" A girl with black-rimmed glasses said. The curiousity turned into surprise as the students started murmuring. Jessica's mind turned blank. Could something happen to them? Or are they just enjoying their own sweet time? The both thoughts made her cringe in pain. She didn't want to know anymore.

 

"Yoona?" The instructor tried again, reading off the next name. 

 

Silence filled the air again.

 

"I saw them walking off the path, holding hands." A guy said all of a sudden. His partner, about a head shorter than her nodded in agreement.

 

"That was the last time I saw them." His partner continued. "We wanted to ask them why they got off the path but it seems like they wanted some alone time." 

 

Jessica felt her whole world crashing down on her. Going off the path alone? Just the two of them? Jessica bit her lips as tears welled up in her eyes. She didn't know if she was upset that Donghae and Yoona was no where to be found or upset that they seemed too intimate to be just friends. The scene of Donghae yelling at her because of Yoona made it even more clear than he obviously liked her. She felt her legs turned jelly and almost drop to the ground when a pair of arms caught her. She didn't know why but she felt her cheeks turn red.

 

"Hey." Nichkhun said, holding on tightly to her. "It's okay, I'm here."

 

His soothing voice touched her a little. She almost believed that it's okay. It's okay that Donghae and Yoona are dating, it's okay that they broke up, it's okay that all this things happened to her, it's okay because Nichkhun was there. She almost wanted to pull him into a hug and tell him that yeah, he's right - it's okay because she has him. But that wasn't the case. It wasn't okay. She loves Donghae and even the loveliest things Nichkhun could do for her, it just isn't okay. It's different and Jessica didn't like different. 

 

She wanted everything to be like it was before. She could hug Donghae and they would still be a couple. They would go on dates with their friends, tease HyoHyuk together and hang out, just the two of them. Truth to be told, it's not going to be the same again and she knows that. She just didn't want to accept it.

 

The instructor sighed. "Those two shall be punished but first, let's all split up to look for them. Grab a torchlight and make sure you stay in pairs or groups. Restrain from going too far into the woods and try to stay on the path as much as you can. Call their names as you search." 

 

With a few more briefing on the search for Donghae and Yoona, it was finally time to go back to the jungle. Of course it wasn't the best idea but they had to make do with it now. The students groaned as they go back into the woods, this time, when the sky is dark. They were all hungry but they had to look for Donghae and Yoona. 

 

Jessica didn't want to but a voice inside her head screamed at her to find Donghae or she might never see him again. She didn't want that.