Chapter 21 : The Search

Broken Arrow

Of course her heart was too soft to say no. Jessica walked along the path, playing with the button on her torchlight. On and off, on and off. Nichkhun walked beside her quietly. He knew that Jessica wasn't feeling so good. He kept on glancing at her, making sure that she doesn't break down into tears. He shone his torch infront, showing figures of the other campers. He spotted Minho and Yuri shining their torch at the trees around them. Nichkhun had a feeling that him and Jessica shouldn't walk at this pace. It was too slow and if they continued, they would lose the rest. However, he said nothing because he could sense the unhappiness from Jessica.

 

Soon, it was exactly as he thought, they soon lost the other campers and it was only them left on the visible track. The rest probably are too far from them.

 

"Aren't we suppose to yell their names?" Nichkhun asked, cautious about her expression. Instead, it was cold.

 

"You can call their names. I don't want to." She said, kicking a stone from the trail. 

 

"That sounds alright." Nichkhun agreed. "Donghae! Yoona!" 

 

He yelled as he shone his torch around him. 

 

-

 

Donghae and Yoona was too tired to walk any further. They settled themselves under a tree. 

 

"I'm sorry that I caused this." Yoona apologised with a timid voice. Donghae stood up and dusted his pants.

 

"It's okay." He said, smiling at her but it was so obvious that he was frustrated about it. "We'll just hope that the rest are looking for us."

 

"Yeah, I hope so too."

 

"You can take a rest here, I'll go look for some loose sticks and branches to perhaps start a fire."

 

"You know how to?"

 

"Yeah, I learnt it during last year's camp with Jessi..." His voice trailed off as he thought about the last year's camp.

 

/

 

"Eesh, I'm so tired and I want to go home." Jessica complained, kicking the grass. Donghae kneeled down by the self-stacked twigs as he struggled to light a fire.

 

"I'm cold, hungry and this camp is stupid." Jessica said again, crossing her arms and looking around her. The year two students were asked to go on an adventure camp and they had to survive in a small forest area, which was an actual camp site. It was getting late but they could not set up a fire to keep themselves warm, needless to say, to cook their food.

 

"Hey, cheer up." Donghae said as he threw the twigs on the floor and stood up. He sighed, sweating buckets from the past hours of trying to set up a fire. Jessica furrowed her eyebrows and looked around. He decided to pull her into a hug, trying to diminish the burning anger he was feeling as he could not make a fire. He felt so annoyed at himself, not being able to make a fire to keep him or his girlfriend warm. 

 

Darn it, you idiot. He scolded himself. 

 

"It'll get better, trust me."

 

She let him hug her although he was sweaty and sticky. Nevertheless, he still smelled nice as she laid her head on his shoulder. The fact is, she was slightly afraid of the dark. She wanted him to quickly make a fire to light up the place. She couldn't imagine what kind of creepy crawlies were around her. Especially spiders. She's afraid of spiders. She mentally screamed.

 

"Arasso, quickly, pabo." She muttered and pushed him off. Although the tone was harsh, Donghae could feel that she's just putting that cold front to hide something else. Fear. And that's exactly why he was slightly mad at himself. He had no idea why she was afraid or what she was afraid of, but he felt that it's because he couldn't start the freaking damn fire. Her boyfriend smiled slightly and squatted back down to make the fire. He twisted and spinned the sticks so quicly he could feel the friction on his palms. He bit back the heat and slowly, sparks flew and a fire started.

 

"Oh my god." He grinned as he sped up and finally, the fire grew bigger. "Look."

 

She looked over when she realised the place getting brighter. A smiled formed on her face as she watched the fire danced around calmly. The warmth spread through her, not just physically, but mentally. No more spiders, she thought as she squatted down next to Donghae. 

 

"No too close." Donghae warned as he gently pulled her back. She smiled, nodding her head.

 

"Thank you, Donghae." She whispered and that cold night doesn't seem so cold anymore.

 

/

 

"Right." Yoona snapped, trying to avoid hearing her name. Anger rushed inside of her, but at the same time, she was feeling a sense of guilt. An image of her and Jessica quarreling back at the park came to her mind. Donghae didn't know, but it was all her fault. Jessica didn't so anything, she did. Yoona brushed that off, telling herself that Jessica deserved it for trying to take Donghae away. 

 

"I'll be back." He said as he started to walk away.

 

"Don't get lost." Yoona said, her voice almost breaking. Donghae turned around and when their eyes met, he felt something in her eyes - fear. It was just like how Jessica was like a year ago. 

 

Her next sentence just made him froze. "I don't want to lose you." She added, staring into Donghae's eyes. 

 

/

 

"I don't want to lose you?" Donghae repeated as he walked around the forests alone. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even remember to mark this way around. He simply walked around, picking up a few dry leaves and sticks on the way. "What does it even mean?" 

 

He didn't know why but those words made him a little too nervous. He can't stop thinking about it. Worst of all, he couldn't stop thinking about her. Even if it was quite dark, he could feel that she was very worried, very alone, very afraid. All of a sudden, he had the urge to take care of her. 

 

"What the heck, Lee Donghae." He snapped, whacking his head with a twig. "What are you thinking?" He scolded himself as he pushed past a few bushes. 

 

"But why does Yoona look so scared?" He questioned himself again. "What does it mean that she doesn't want to lose me?" The more he walked, the more he thought about her. "Maybe she's actually a girl full of fears and pain." He muttered, scratching his head. His hair was getting messier and messier with each frustrated grab of hair. "Maybe she doesn't have friends? Maybe everyone around her keeps on leaving her? Maybe... J-Jessica?" He forced her name out, feeling guilt wash over him.

 

"This is so confusing!" He exclaimed, kicking a tree. Only after he did that did he regret. He bit his lips as he dropped the twigs and grabbed the tip of his shoes, massaging his toes. "Darn it, you idiot." He dropped his feet down and took a deep breathe. He looked around him, finally realising that he was not back with Yoona yet. He glanced around more and finally his eyes stopped at a moving light from a distance. 

 

"Noway..."

 

/

 

Jessica stopped in her tracks, she turned to the forest beside her. She didn't know why she stopped but it was just her instincts. She felt that something was there. 

 

"What's wrong?" Nichkhun stopped too and looked at her. She didn't answer him but just stare into the trees. She could feel something was there and a feeling was telling her that it's not harmful. She stared a little longer, turning on her torchlight and shining at it. She thought she saw something move and naturally took a step back.

 

"You see something out there?" Nichkhun asked, placing a hand on her shoulder. She tilted her head, trying to make out a black figure that was approaching them. Nichkhun felt his heart skip a beat at her action. Nichkhun's heart has been skipping many beats recently and he thought that if he hung out with Jessica too much, he would die soon. Sometimes, he would curse at himself for rejecting her.

 

After Donghae and Jessica got together as a couple, many of Nichkhun's friend has about losing a beautiful girl like Jessica. Of course, guys like him can't stand those remarks. He started to pay more attention to her and the more he did that, the more he got attracted to her. He started finding her little habits cute, her cold looks beautiful and her out-of-the-blue childish times undeniably adorable. He started finding himself falling in love and he couldn't stop himself.

 

"Yeah, I see something there." Jessica said, as she squinted her eyes, trying to make out what that was. When she did, her expression turned dark.

 

"Him." She snapped and Nichkhun knew who she meant.