Chapter 1

Knowing The Truth Hurts

 

“Yaerin! RUN! Run as fast as you can and escape with her. No matter what you do DO NOT LOOK BACK and just keep running.” I did not think twice and did as I was told. I was running as fast as I can with her right behind me.

My breathing labored and my ears rang from the sound of my heart beats. To make things worse I tripped and fell bruising my knee in the process. But it didn’t matter to me. I had to get away. I glanced around trying to look for my pursuer, but she was nowhere in sight. Just as I struggled to my feet I heard three gunshots echo among the trees. I felt my heart skip a beat and my palms started sweating. The word “they are dead, they are dead” rang in my mind. I shook my head refusing to believe the truth.

“AAAAAAAH! ANDHWAAAEE!” you screamed as you woke up from the horrible nightmare that has brought back memories of the traumatizing past. Your whole body was sweating and you were breathing very hard. You wiped the tears off your face and you were going to go back to sleep when your eyes landed on the alarm clock beside your bed. “Oh crap! Just great. I could not wake up to the stupid alarm and now I am going to be late for school.” “AISH!” Then you suddenly remember Mi Na! Why didn’t she call me when I couldn’t wake up?

You quickly got out of bed and to Mi Na’s room to find her sleeping soundly in her dreamland. “This pabo” you sighed. It was foolish of me to think why she didn’t wake me up. You jumped on her bed and took her blanket and started hitting her. “Mi Na-ah Ppalli ireona! We are late for school!”  But Mi Na who was lost in her dream said. “YA! Give me 10 more minutes… I need to finish my dinner date with Kai.”

That was it. You could not hold in it any longer. You got up and pushed her from the bed. Mi Na landed on the floor with a loud thump. Mi Na finally opened her eyes feeling the pain on her back. She shouted “YAH! What was that for?” you defended yourself quickly “you were not going to wake up if I didn’t do that. You were mumbling about some stupid dinner date with a Kai or something.  Seriously Mi Na? Stop shouting at me and go get ready or else we are going to be late” Mi Na blushed as she was embarrassed. “Oh, hehe… Mian! I will go and get ready. Thanks for waking me up” Mi Na got up and went to her bathroom.

You laughed at her silliness and went to your room shaking your head to take a bath. You got dressed up and ran downstairs and you saw Mi Na’s Mom having breakfast. You greeted her and went to drink milk. You did not bother to eat anything as you knew that you would be late if you stayed any longer to eat.

You got up with your backpack. “Mi Na let’s go! We don’t have much time left.” Mi Na drank her milk in one shot and asked her mom. “Umma! Is Mr. Lee here to take us to school?”

Mi Na’s mom suddenly remembered and said with a worried face “OMO! I forgot to tell you. Sorry girls! The car got a flat tire yesterday so you guys will have to go by walking to school.”

Mi Na being childish and stubborn stomped her feet and complained. “ Umma! Wae! I don’t want to run to school. Now we are going to be late for school on the first day”  You shook your head and pulled Mi Na out of the house.” Stop complaining and we better start running. We only have about 10 minutes before the school starts.”

Mi Na’s face pulled into a smile when she suddenly got an idea. “I know! Let’s race to school. The person who reaches the school last will have to buy the other person a very BIG chocolate! HAHAAHAA!” you liked the idea and said” Okay! Deal! But don’t go back on your word. Ok let’s start! 1, 2, 3 GOOO!

You and Mi Na Started running as fast as you can. School was a few blocks away from your house so you guys could reach school if you run really fast. You were lagging behind. Mi Na sure was running fast ahead of you.

“Honk! Honk!”

Your heart skipped a beat and you froze on the stop. A red stylish car was about to crash on to you. You covered your ears and closed your eyes and screamed. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”