Chapter 16

Casually Cruel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Morning!” Jessica greets Yoona happily as soon as she sees her best friend walks in to their class. Instead of greeting her back with the same excitement, Yoona creases her forehead almost automatically. This is surely not a sight she has imagined to happen after their break up yesterday. She then starts thinking that maybe they haven’t broken up, but eventually made up.

“Yoong!”  Jessica waves her hand in front of her. “You look dazed, what’s wrong?” she asks her, fully concerned.

“Me?” Yoona asks back dumbly. Well, she thought it should be her that asks Jessica that question.

“Duh, do you see me talk to anyone else?” Jessica rolls her eyes.

Okay, Yoona is utterly confused. Jessica definitely looks too cheerful for someone who has just broken up. A little bit too cheerful even, than what she usually is.

“So what happened yesterday?” Yoona can’t take her curiosity anymore. Jessica refused to talk about it on the phone last night, she also objected the idea of Yoona coming over to her house, saying she was fine and she just wanted to be alone for a while.

“Hm, nothing much.” Jessica shrugs nonchalantly.

“..huh?” Yoona looks unsatisfied with the answer.

Jessica knows Yoona will definitely ask for more details, but she doesn’t want to talk about it yet. For now, she just wants to forget everything. She wants to forget about Lu Han, and hopefully she could act as if that relationship never happened. At least until she could look back at the memories and laugh about it. She then chuckles quietly, what memories, as if they have any.

“Well, I just told him I wanted to break up and he said okay. End.” Jessica gives Yoona a smile as if telling her that’s all.

“Really? That’s it??” Yoona is dumbfounded. “Like literally?”

“Not literally, I just make it simple for you. That’s the conclusion of everything that happened yesterday. So don’t ask me more about it. Oh crap, I don’t bring my Math book!” Jessica tries to change the topic, but Yoona could care less of that Math Book.

“I want details,” Yoona sounds determined.

Jessica sighs but still keeps a sweet smile on her face. “Yoong,” she suddenly takes Yoona’s hand. “Can I ask for a favor?”  

“..what?”

“I will definitely tell you everything later, someday. So, please don’t ask me about it anymore.”

Already dying of curiosity since last night, Yoona is hesitating.

“Please…?”

Upon seeing Jessica’s puppy eyes, she gives up. “Alright..” She understands that Jessica probably has her reasons for doing so.  

Or maybe, it’s still too hard for her to talk about it.

 

---

 

But something’s weird, Yoona notices. It’s not like she doesn’t like how Jessica keeps smiling brightly the entire day, even in their history class that she always hates so much because it’s boring, she also doesn’t hate the idea of Jessica moving on from her heartbreak, but there’s just something wrong with the way she smiles or laughs today. She doesn’t asks Jessica though, worried If she was just being paranoid by herself.

“What should we have for lunch?” Yoona asks excitedly as they walk side by side to the cafeteria.

“I want spaghetti! I’m starving my stomach is grumbling like crazy!”

Okay, here it is again, Yoona thinks. Jessica being so overly-excited over what.. spaghetti? This never happened before. How she jumps as she talks, how her eyes widen and shine every single time they have conversation.

And this, finally bothers Yoona. In a bad way.

“Are you going to eat salad again today?” Jessica’s voice brings her back to reality.

“Huh? Oh yeah.”

“Stop dieting, Kyuhyun likes girl with some meat..” Jessica teases her.

“Pft, as if I’m dieting for him.”

With Jessica being so suddenly talkative, Yoona only listens patiently and laughs sometimes in between, when her eyes land at Lu Han who is also on his way to the cafeteria. She tries to keep her poker face so Jessica won’t notice but it’s too late. Jessica already sees him, but again, what’s happening is totally unexpected. Jessica starts smiling widely upon seeing Lu Han, she evens drags Yoona closer to him.

“Hey, Han!”

Can’t even hide her astonishment, Yoona blatantly stares at Jessica with mouth wide open. Did Jessica just greet Lu Han? She couldn’t even do it in their four months relationship. So are they breaking up or are they not? Yoona wonders. Jessica clearly said that she and Lu Han broke up when they talked last night on the phone. Or did she hear it wrong?

“Oh, hey Sica. And Yoona.” But Yoona notices Lu Han’s uneasy smile.

“Where’s Kyuhyun?” Jessica asks him whilst looking around.

“Victoria makes lunchbox for him, so I left alone.”

“Ah..” Eyeing Yoona’s sudden dark expression, Jessica nods understandingly then chuckles. “Want to join us then?”

If Yoona is in the middle of drinking water right now, perhaps she already spits it out at Lu Han's face. Lu Han is not less shocked than Yoona, judging by the dumb look he has on his face.

“Eh? Really? Can I..?”

“Of course! Why can’t you? The more the merrier, right Yoong?” Jessica looks at her with those shining eyes again.

 “Y-yeah, sure.. why not..”

What the hell is happening to her? Yoona screams in her head.

 

---

 

Lu Han doesn't want to see her crying, of course, but he doesn't expect to see her all smiling a day after they broke up. It's almost like the Jessica yesterday, the one who was crying so much in his arms never exists. He wonders if she really wants to break up with him that much now that she looks so happy about it. Not that he is complaining.

He has agreed to her requests, to act like nothing happened. To never talk about their past relationship anymore. And to start new, with just being friends.

On the other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter