Chapter 14

Casually Cruel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jessica peeks behind the door of the school building, watching Lu Han leaning against his car restlessly. Yoona has left early because she needs to buy a gift for Kyuhyun's upcoming birthday, even though Jessica insisted that she wanted to accompany her, Yoona objected the idea right away because she knew it was just Jessica's excuse to run away from Lu Han again. Now that she is alone, she doesn't have gut to face Lu Han who has been waiting for her for more than fifteen minutes.

She shrieks when she feels someone taps her shoulder. Still in shock, she turns around just to see Suho standing before her with raised eyebrows.

“What are you doing?”

“Um.. nothing?” She knows it sounds beyond ridiculous but she can’t think of any good explanation for him that not sounds just as ridiculous.

Suho gives her a look of disbelief. “You don’t expect me to believe it, do you?”

“Can you act like you believe it then?”

He blinks rapidly as she makes a pitiful face then burst out laughing. “What’s that! Does that even make sense?” He is still laughing as she pouts, but somehow her heart feels lighter by the sound of his laughter. It makes her forgets her worries for a little while.

“Okay! I can!” She makes a slight fist pump and he finally stops laughing.

“..can what?”

“Why do you keep asking questions?” She scrunches up her face and leans forward as if challenging him in which the latter immediately moves backward.

“And why are you so weird today?” He asks back timidly.

She retreats and sighs. “I might break up today.”

He seems to perk up upon hearing that but immediately slaps himself mentally for being such a bad friend. How could he feel happy at times like this? Even though he is indeed happy no matter what, but of course the least thing he can do is hiding it from her.

“Break up? W-why suddenly?” He is getting too excited by the news that he stutters. Fortunately she thinks he is just shocked. Well, for him of course it’s shocking.

“It’s not sudden,” while smiling, she looks up. “It’s one-sided love from the beginning.”

He looks at her intently, wondering. “Why are you smiling?” when you said such painful words, he honestly wants to add.

“Well, it’s kind of funny. It’s not like I didn’t realize it before but right at this moment it finally hits me hard right in the head.” She chuckles.

It’s not funny, he wants to say again but he doesn’t. Instead he stays silent and keeps listening as she keeps going.

“Come to think of it, I always whine about how he never seems to care about me. How he always hurts me when I know perfectly he never did it on purpose. How he never be a boyfriend I always dreamed of. It’s always about me, but I forget about his feeling.” She pauses and breathes deeply. “Can you imagine? How hard it is for him to be with someone he doesn’t even love..”

“It’s not your fault at all. He shouldn’t have started it if he didn’t—”

“I know,” she cuts him off. “It’s not necessarily anyone’s fault. Anyway!” She suddenly claps her hands, startling him. “We are still young and we still have so many things to learn. A little heartbreak won’t hurt, right?” She grins.  

Well, of course it will hurt. She knows it. He knows it too, because he feels the same.

Either way, there’s nothing they could do about it other than get over it and move on.

“You sound like my granny,” he teases her.

“What? I’m being wise and you said I’m like a granny? Look at yourself you look like a grandpa all the time!”

He shrugs nonchalantly. “I’ve heard that a lot. Fine with me.” He glances at her as she makes a face and laughs. “You are so cute, I don’t understand why he doesn’t like you.”

“Wow..” Her eyes widen in surprised.

“..what?” He deadpans.

“You are the first person who said I’m cute! Are you having bad eyesight or something?”

“I think I do have bad eyesight.”

“Meanie..” She hits him lightly. “Ah.. I think I should go now. He has been waiting for too long.”  

“Yeah, you should go,” he ruffles her hair affectionately, hoping it could comfort her even for a little. “If you need someone later, you can come to me anytime.”

“Anytime?”

He grins. “Anytime for you.”

Silence…

“Ew, that’s cheesy.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter