School Days Flashback

The Only One

(Abby’s POV)

I was looking out the window of the car recalling everything that happened when I was still studying in Miami.

 

 

Every single one of my teachers like me since I’m always the one who listens to them when they’re teaching and respects them.

 

 

I love studying. I love learning new things every day. I love reading ‘cause it makes my imagination wander around. I love solving math problems. I love the way my mind thinks critically. It’s like an exercise for my brain. That’s why I also like school but there is one problem about it. The people I go to school with. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate them. THEY hate ME. I don’t know why. I never had the courage to ask them nor talk to them. I was just really scared. It’s just every time one of them comes near me, I know that the next thing he’s or she’s gonna do is tease me, hurt my feelings, or hurt me physically. It’s the same thing every day. It’s like a routine for them to do those things to me. Maybe that’s why I just got used to it. At some point, I actually thought that getting bullied was normal. I became a part of my life. Even though, I cry myself to sleep every night thinking about what would happen to me the moment I wake up. Even though, I almost took my own life just to end my suffering.

 

 

“Abby. Are you okay? Why are you crying?”, Daehyun Oppa said while he was driving.

 

“What?”, I said while looking at him. I checked my cheek if there were really tears and it’s true. I was crying the whole time. Recalling these things makes me sad and now I didn’t even know I was crying. I quickly wiped my tears away and turned to look outside the window again.

 

“You didn’t know you were crying?”, Daehyun Oppa said.

 

“Ne. Mianhae. I didn’t want you to see me like this.”, I said with a sad tone and sighed.

 

“Aniyo. It’s fine.”, Daehyun Oppa said.

 

It was quiet for a few minutes after that.

 

 

“Yah. Abby.”, Daehyun Oppa said with a calm voice.

 

“Mmm??”, I said still looking out the window.

 

“If you don’t want to talk about it, it’s fine. I understand. Whatever you went through, I have a feeling it’s a very bad memory. Judging by the tears in your eyes earlier. I’m sorry if I made you think of it. I know you wanted to forget about those things.”, Daehyun Oppa said.

 

“No… It’s okay. You are my best friend. You have to know. I shouldn’t have kept it from you. Best friends shouldn’t hide things to each other.”, I said.

 

“I can make an exception to this.”, Daehyun Oppa said.

 

“I told you. It’s fine.”

 

“No it isn’t. You were crying just remembering it.”

 

“No. I want to tell you.”

 

“Arasso. But if you can’t take the pain anymore, stop. Okay?”

 

I nodded. Then I started the story. I told him that it started during my first day of school in Miami. I told him about the times I wanted to take my own life. I told him that I got teased a lot and I also told him that if I wasn’t teased, I would always get slapped, punched, kicked, and my hair would be pulled. I told him that at some point, my entire body has bruises and I was in a coma for three and a half months. I told him that my parents found out what happened and I transferred into a new school and my parents punished the people who bullied me. I didn’t know what punishment was given to them. I told him that my parents blamed my teachers but I told them that they had nothing to do with it and they just can’t control the students. I told him that even though I transferred to a new school, I still become very nervous and scared meeting new people. And last, I told him that I didn’t get new friends in my new school, until now, because what happened in the past really took away my self-esteem.

 

 

It was silent after that. The only thing I can hear was me sobbing. Daehyun Oppa didn’t say anything and let me cry the rest of the way home.

 

 

When we got to my house, he stopped the car. I already stopped crying but my eyes were still red and swollen.

 

 

“Abby. I’m sorry if you have to go through it again.”, He said.

 

“It’s okay. I actually feel relieved that I finally had the chance to tell someone about it and I got to let out all these emotions.”, I said.

 

“But I shouldn’t have forced you to.”

 

“You didn’t Oppa. I wanted to tell you that myself. No one forced me to.”

 

He sighed.

 

 

“I still can’t believe that you were in a coma.”, he said.

 

“The doctor said that my body just couldn’t take it anymore. It was too much pain.”

 

“I know. Why would anybody try to hurt you anyways? Especially them. Who are they to do that to you?”

 

I just kept quiet. I was playing with my hands when Daehyun Oppa said something.

 

 

“I’m sorry if I wasn’t with you when they were bullying you. And I’m sorry if I didn’t visit you in the hospital when you were in a coma. If I only knew that that happened to you, I would’ve taken the first flight to Miami and kick their .”

 

“You don’t have to be sorry. Like you said, you didn’t know.”

 

“But still, I should’ve been there for you. Why didn’t you tell me about it back then, anyways?”

 

“I just don’t want to be a burden. You were training to become an idol. I didn’t want to be the reason why you didn’t get the chance to reach your dream.”

 

He sighed.

 

 

“Oppa. It’s really fine. It happened a long time ago. And I just want to forget about it. So you should too. Arasso?”, I said.

 

He nodded.

 

 

“I have to get out of the car now. Bye Oppa. I’ll see you again soon. Good night.”, I said with a reassuring smile on my face.

 

“Okay. Sweet dreams okay.”

 

“Drive safely.”

 

I got out of the car then waved at him. I waited for him to fade to the distance before I go inside. But right when Daehyun Oppa’s car is gone, my phone rang.

 

 

“Who could it be?”, I wondered.