No Pain No Gain

Take Care of My Little Sister

Hyung took one look at Yoonmi then at me. He must have been relieved that nothing really serious happened to either of us. Hearing a faint groan from the alley I tighten my grip around Yoonmi's shoulders and quickly walk to the car.

"Zelo, are you alright...? I'm sorry." Yongguk was about to come towards me when I held up my hands.

"We need to hurry before sleeping beauty over there wakes up."

He took a quick look in the dim alleyway and nodded before getting into the driver's seat. I let Yoonmi get in first then followed after.

"Good thing we went today. Things could have ended badly." I stretch my arms with a smile.

No one said a thing and I could tell that Yoonmi didn't know what to do. I would feel awkward too, but does she really not remember hyung? I thought they knew each other.

"Zelo, I'm really sorry I came too late. I sh-"

"Yah, hyung it's alright. What happened to me is my own fault. I should work out more." I pretended to flex my arms showing off muscle but hyung wasn't buying it and still looked concerned. That big baby... Sometimes I wonder if I'm really the maknae.

He took another look at Yoonmi and his expression was something I've never seen before. His eyes were pained, yet he seemed relieved at the same time. The thought that this person, the only relative of his best friend, could have been hurt must have him thinking. Poor hyung... But now that she's safe, he'll be okay right?

Yoonmi's POV


This was really awkward and I didn't know what to do. My mind was all jumbled into one disastrous medley of events. I couldn't tell what I was feeling and my mind was numb. Looking out the window my mind became more and more clear. Stiffening my body I jerked closer to the door. The boy sitting next to me was staring with a smile on his face.

"Where are we going..?" From what happened earlier I was now becoming paranoid of everything around me.

"Don't worry noona! Hyung and I are taking you back to our place."

"MWO?!" The boy's smile dropped and he moved closer to me.

"It's okay noona, we aren't-"

"Yah! Don't come near me! I don't know who you are!" I pushed him away from me and he hit the other side of the car. My arms quickly coiled back against my body and the guy driving looked at us from the car mirror.

"Yah, Zelo give her some space she's still shaken up."

Looking up at the black figure in the front I furrow my brows, he sounded awfully familiar. More than paranoid, I was starting to become curious about the face that belonged to this voice. Who could it have been?

The car was now pulling into a drive way and had momentarily stopped in front of a garage door. Looking around I was trying to figure out where the hell I was.

"We're here." The driver's door was opened and the guy got out before I could. This Zelo kid ended up tugging on my arm for me to get out of the car. Eventually I got out the car making sure to stand my ground at the same time.

"Wh- what am I doing here? Are you going to me?!" I flailed my arm to break the hold, not that he was grabbing me harshly.

"Noona we're not gonna hurt you!" This kid walked right up to me trying to put a hand on my shoulder, but I took a step back as an impulse and held up my fists ready to hit him if he took another step.

"You haven't changed a bit have you ..? Yoonmi~ah."
 

Hearing that voice again, especially as he said my name, gave me chills. I turn to the body that was leaning against the car, his face I still couldn't see clearly, but I could make out his form. Looking back to the kid at my side then to him I was conflicted.

 

“You never liked people telling you what to do and always had to pick a fight. That's what happens when you have someone like Jae as a brother.”

 

Everything clicked and I dropped the hostile facade towards the two guys. I was certain that I didn't know Zelo, but I now knew who the other person was. A tear slipped down my cheek and I tried my very best to hold it in. There was no way I was going to get away with lying to my brother's, and my, best friend.

 

“Y-Yongguk~oppa..?” Before I knew it he walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me. He was like a second brother to me and the day he stopped coming to visit Youngjae and I, I thought he was gone for good.

 

“You poor kid. I'm sorry about all this...”

 

“How could this happen to oppa?!” More tears from the funeral poured down than necessary and it was to the point I couldn't even cry anymore.

 

“Zelo, go upstairs and open the door for the house. Yoonmi~ah is staying here for tonight.”

 

At first I was going to question the reasoning, but I put two and two together and assumed that after what happened earlier it wouldn't be a good idea to be at home alone. Yongguk was always like this, he took care of my brother and I making sure that we were always safe and out of harms way. One thing I never understood is why he and my brother stopped hanging out.

 

“You alright with staying here with us?” He looked down at me and I felt awkward because I haven't seen this person in a long time. He smiled and patted my head,

“Either way you're staying here, no butts.”

 

It was because I felt comfortable and not alone anymore that I was able to smile even if it was just a little bit. Yongguk lead me into a garage and as soon as we walked in there was a brown sofa in the center of the place along with a coffee table. Several motorcycles were parked in a line closer to the back along with a black hummer. In the right hand corner of the garage there was a swirled staircase that led to the second floor.

 

“I'm hungry! Feed meeee~~” That Zelo kid came jumping down the stairs. I made a little note in the back of m mind to apologize to him later for acting the way I did.

 

“At a time like this Zelo...?” Yongguk shook his head.

 

Already I was jumping to conclusions with this kid... Did Yongguk~oppa perhaps...? I kept looking back and forth between the two.

 

“Hey! Don't think anything weird! He's just a kid I take care of!”

 

“Did I say that I was thinking anything weird?! Geez...” I crossed my arms and raised a lip to Yongguk. I heard a small chuckle and I didn't get a chance to turn around because I was engulfed in a hug.

 

“Noona you're so cute!!!”

 

“Y-Yah! What the heck!” I looked at this kid in disbelief, “Are you a foreigner or something?”

 

“S-sorry...” He let me go and backed away. Yongguk kicked his calf.

 

“He's only a little kid, don't think too much of this person.” The two started to wrestle around and I suddenly felt like I was watching my brother and Yongguk again.

 

I suppose that saying is true, when you lose something important, something even greater will find it's way to you.