Chapter 8

Sun-kissed: Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was her third week on the job.

Amina felt flutters compound in her stomach as she applied more mascara on her lashes.  She dabbed gloss on her lips and checked her appearance in the mirror that was made available to all the girls in the backroom. Her shift was about to start in less than five minutes.

She still wasn't comfortable receiving advances from strange men, but at least she didn't have to sit with anyone.  She had made sure Kim sajangnim knew her boundaries from the start.  And even though Ms. Kim grumbled, the lady eventually balked and allowed her to stay on, working the bar and receptionist area from time to time if she wanted.  Amina knew she garnered some dirty looks from the other waitresses, but she didn't care.  Not this time around.  She wasn't here to make any friends.  She didn't plan on staying for very long.

When asked why she got preferential treatment, her sajangnim simply replied, "Because she'll bring in the customers, that's why."  And that she did.  But it cost her too.  When Amina worked the bar, the men naturally flocked around the pub area.  They offered to buy her drinks, but she always declined - which also dipped into her own pocket, since she earned a percentage of the sales.  Some men just came by and watched her work, which was creepy at first.  But they didn't talk... just watched and left money.  Eventually she got used to it.

The "uniform" they initially gave her was "not tight enough" per Kim sajangnim's standards, so they went to the backroom and got her an extra extra small.  Sometimes Amina wondered if they just cut the existing dress she had worn vertically in half and sewed one of the two portions' sides together.  It was so tight... she couldn't breathe.  At least she was able to wear her own comfortable platform pumps to work.  Although it was only 7cm tall, they had enough cushion that she could still feel her toes after her shift was over.  And she definitely needed her toes if she was going to make it to her next job on time.

Her next job.  Amina threw her compact back into her make-up bag and zipped it up before stashing it inside a personal locker.  She was able to secure a grave-yard shift at Seoul National University Hospital doing nurses aide work.  At first, she was going to choose an entirely different hospital to apply at, but chances were they would run her background and call up Dr. Park anyway.  She couldn't risk it.

So she applied for an entry level position that she knew fell under Dr. Park's watch.  When Amina scanned the list of open jobs, she didn't realize how few postings there were.  Only after it was explained to her that there was a recent round of layoffs did she start to become nervous. When the recruiter noticed she had worked for Dr. Park, it was her key in for the interview.  But Amina explained to the lady that she didn't want Dr. Park knowing she had applied because she wanted to secure the job based on her own skills, not recommendation.

That in itself impressed the recruiter so much that Amina was hired the next day.

It wasn't a glamorous job.  But it would do... for now.

"Yah!  Uisa!" yelled Ms. Kim.

Amina grimaced.  Ever since she told her sajangnim she planned on continuing her medical education, she was nicknamed 'uisa' (doctor).  The other girls didn't know the entire story, but they began calling her 'uisa' as well.  It grated on Amina's nerves.

"Neh..." Amina called dully back.

"We got some fresh meat.  You're up!"

There was red... everywhere.

The carpet was red.  The tablecloth was red.  The booth was red.

The only thing good about the place was the fact that the lighting was dim.  Dim enough where you could still eat your food, but to the point where you couldn't read a book comfortably if you wanted to.  ty lighting, in other words.  Yeah, they wouldn't have to worry about anyone spotting them in here.

Youngbae allowed Teddy to slide into the booth first and then followed him in afterwards. He kept his head down and remained subdued the entire time as he listened to the hyungs discuss the latest sound equipment on lockdown.  He tried to keep up with the conversation, but eventually it went over his head.  His eyes began to roam the room.

There were a few other men there as well tonight.  Most of them in business suits and some had juicy girls sitting in their laps.  The juicy girls were wearing the same type of uniform dress, same type of over-done make-up, same type of fake smile.  Their faces all started to blend together to him.  He looked back down at the wooden table, suddenly feeling tired.

Han paused mid-sentence and jerked his head towards Teddy.  "What's up with him?"

Teddy inwardly cursed.  He should have known better than to drag Youngbae with him tonight.  "Don't mind him.  He just hasn't been laid in awhile."

At that quip, Youngbae felt his ears burn.  He winced inside, knowing he had just been reprimanded by his hyung to straighten up.

“There’s a hot new waitress here,” said Han, nodding towards Youngbae. “Tight, y, little body. Might just be your type.”

Youngbae glanced up absentmindedly, fiddling with his paper napkin.  He cocked an eyebrow across the table.  Out of politeness he responded, “Yeah?”

“Yeah… fun-size.”

Teddy peered up at his friend and asked, “Where?”

“Heading this way.”

The two men swung their heads towards a familiar petite frame heading towards their direction, her ombre long brown waves falling in stacks down her back.  She was busy grabbing her tray that she didn’t notice the table of men she was about to serve, but at least one gentlemen already recognized her profile.

Teddy smirked and nudged a preoccupied Youngbae with his elbow.  “Hey… that’s definitely your type.”

Youngbae heard the sarcasm in his hyung’s voice and looked up from the table, turning right as their waitress introduced herself. His heart stopped.

“A-Annyeonghasaeyo… Amina imnida.  I’ll be your wait…” Amina broke off as Youngbae stood up and grabbed her arm, pulling her away. 

“Yah!  Let me go!” she hissed through clenched teeth.  She peered around her, hoping her sajangnim wasn’t seeing this.

He let her go when they were behind a divider and away from prying ears.  Youngbae eyed the tight black mini-dress that hugged all her curves and rode high above her thighs.  He asked with a look of disbelief on his face, "What are you doing here?"

Amina narrowed her eyes, "What do you mean, 'What am I doing here?'  I work here."

He leaned into her space.  "Shouldn't you be working at a hospital or something?"

She straightened her back.  "I work there too."

Youngbae pulled back in surprise. 

"Neh," she challenged.  "What else?"

"You didn't call me."

Amina clamped shut.

His eyes accused her.  "Did you forget about me again?"

Again.  She knew he was trying to make her feel guilty about the first time.  But it didn't faze her.  Didn't override the hurt she was currently feeling inside. "Mianhae..." she sarcastically replied with a tilt of her head.  "I didn't call, because I was afraid your girlfriend would pick up."

He flinched.

"But you know, its okay," Amina smiled brightly and tried to play it off.  "It's not like... I expected you to wait for me or anything." Her lips started wavering and her eyes lost its sparkle.  She was going to lose it in front of him.  She quickly turned away.

He grabbed her before she could move.

"Jagi..." Youngbae said through clenched teeth.  He could feel her body tremble against his and he gripped her tighter.  He leaned down and whispered into her ear.  "There's no one else.  I waited for you."  He took a deep breath.

"I'm still waiting for you."

Amina couldn't still the small quakes she felt inside as his words penetrated her heart.  She hated this effect he had on her.  He could make her feel so safe and secure and then within moments... reduce her to a state of vulnerability and insecurity.  She couldn't live this way.  After all the turmoil she had been through the past year, she just needed something solid to rely on.  He was the one person in her life she counted on to be there for her.  But suddenly, the solid knightly armor she pictured him in started chipping away.

Slowly she turned around and faced him, her brown eyes full blown with pain.  "I don't believe you."

Youngbae couldn't believe what he just heard.  His fingers went limp around her body and his arms fell away.  He straightened away from her, his face clearly wounded by her admission.  "You don't believe me?"  His lips started turning red, his emotions taking over.  "What have I done to lose your trust?" 

He heaved his chest, finding it difficult to breathe.  "Why would I ask you to move in with me if I had a girlfriend?"  His eyes shimmered with pain as he gazed into her eyes.  They begged her to see the truth.

Amina could see the effort that he was making.  But the timing of the incident and their reunion were so close together... it made it seem like a betrayal.  "Tell me the truth."  Her lips started trembling.  "Who is she?  Who is she to you?"  Her eyes started filling up with unshed tears.

Youngbae's face was solemn as he shook his head slowly.   His eyes burned into hers.  "No one.  She's just a friend."

Part of her wanted to believe him.  But there was still part of her that held back.  "And if..." She closed her eyes briefly before looking at him again.  "If my father hadn't passed away... if I didn't come back..."  

Amina took a deep breath.  "Then she would be....?" Her eyebrow arched marginally as she waited for his reply.

She deserved to know the truth.  Youngbae pressed his lips together and looked at her helplessly.  "I don't know..."

Amina nodded pitifully, her tears spilling forth as the realization hit her.  He didn't know.  That small answer was enough.  He didn't have to tell her outright that he contemplated being with that girl while they were apart.   She bit her lips to quiet herself.  "So much for waiting, huh?" she shrugged her shoulder at him mockingly.

That little movement of hers set off something inside.  His anger got the best of him.  He shook his head and bit his bottom lip, his teeth bared for her to see.  "You broke it off with me, remember?"  He got in her face.  "You left me!" he hissed.

She sobbed into his face, her heart breaking into a million pieces. 

"Uisa!"

They broke apart. 

"Neh!" Amina yelled back.  She gave him one last look and walked away, her hands wiping the tear tracks on her face as she went.

Youngbae watched as she headed towards the back room, disappearing from his sight.  He quelled the urge to follow her and drag her out of this hell hole.  He didn't know what just happened to them.  But it felt like they just broke up... all over again.  He pinched the bridge of his nose together, massaging the tension away. 

He walked back to the table finding Teddy there by himself.  He must have looked a sight because he got a "What the hell happened to you" look.  Youngbae shook his head.  "I don't want to talk about it."  He faced straight ahead and remained stony.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better," Teddy began, "Han tried to buy your girl for the night."

 Youngbae saw red. "He WHAT?" he sneered and half rose from his seat.

"Yah!"  Teddy pulled him back down into the booth. "Cool it..."  He tugged on his own sweater and smoothed out invisible wrinkles. "She's not for sale.  The old lady wouldn't even budge when he tried to triple the price."  He saw the relief swamp Youngbae's features briefly.  "She'll be fine here... but to be honest, I don't think you will be."

Youngbae looked down at the table, his eyes still murderous.

"Let's get the out of here," Teddy said, taking one last draw of his beer.

A few weekends later...

She felt like she was dying inside.  All over again.

Ever since her confrontation with Youngbae, Amina felt physically sick. 

Maybe it was due to the stress of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter