Chapter 53

Sun-kissed: Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And you are…?”

The ajeossi aimed a censured look towards the younger man, scrutinizing him for being there.  Feeling like an animal about to be dissected, Youngbae shifted uneasily in his seat while his body remained taut and on edge.  Hours ago, he told himself that he was ready for this meeting.  Mentally prepared himself to be there for Amina.  But the events from this morning had rubbed his emotions raw.  The earlier, open, friendliness that his wife displayed was no longer there.  Instead, she had shut down again – closing him off. 

He felt unwanted. 

The suite they were sitting in didn’t help matters either.  It was the very same room that Amina had refused him entry to when she had her breakdown months ago.  The very same room he had last spoken to her father, last year, before she left to New York.  The opulence inside the office brought back both of those retched memories.  He knew he wasn’t at his finest during those times… and he certainly wasn’t at his best now.  A jolt of nervousness coursed through his veins – a type of adrenaline rush that was different from when he went on stage or performed in front of sold out crowds.  It felt more like an impending dread that warned him to turn around and run away as fast as he could.    

He felt so out of place. 

The memories were bad, but the people inside the room made it worse.  He felt unwelcomed and uncomfortable the second they had walked in.  Amina’s mother had cast her usual disdainful look while the older gentleman behind the desk eyed him directly – inspecting him from head to toe.  Amina, who had gone silent, quietly greeted the lawyer before selecting the middle seat.  She didn’t even bother to introduce him, so he hurriedly bowed and took the last seat – sitting to her left.  It was clear, based on everyone’s behavior that they were unreceptive to his presence. 

If only that was the worst of it all. 

The vast difference between his life and Amina’s world hit him hard.  So far removed from her life, he had forgotten that this was her norm.  That this was what she grew up knowing.  There were no amount of clothes – not his crisp white Armani dress shirt and pressed trousers, nor the classic skinny black tie, that could make him fit in.  No amount of money that would ever close the invisible gap that separated their stations in life.  There was a haughty and privileged air that surrounded the other occupants in the room that he wasn’t privy to.  An engrained sense of entitlement that he would never attain – at least not in his lifetime. 

Youngbae hesitated briefly, waiting to see if his wife would speak up.  He looked over at Amina’s frozen profile and wondered if she was truly okay.  She had given him the most meager of nods when he had inquired earlier, but the glazed over look in her eyes never quite cleared.  Now, sitting in the office, he wondered if she was in shock for he had yet to hear her speak.  The seconds continued to tick on in silence. 

“I am her husband,” Youngbae replied cautiously, now more worried than ever.

“Hmph,” came a snooty huff from the other side of the room.

“You deny this man’s claim?”

Mrs. Eun stared straight ahead, her posture rim rod straight.  “I would deny his existence if I could.”

Gray eyebrows furrowed in confusion.  “Amina-yah?”

Blinking out of her thoughts, Amina piped up.  “Yeh, samchon.  He is my husband.”

Youngbae relaxed his death grip on the armchair.

The light in Park Jungho’s eyes warmed at the sound of Amina’s voice.  Like his own daughter, he had missed her and wondered where she had been over the last few months.  As the Eun’s counsel and legal advisor for over 30-years, he played an important role in overseeing all aspects of the family and business affairs.  He and Eun Hyun-Ki were childhood friends, despite differences in their upbringing.  They grew up together, learned the facts of life from one another, and were usually the voice of reason for the other whenever one decided to rouse trouble.  When his friend’s business went nearly bankrupt twenty or so years ago, he had stayed on – working for free for nearly half a decade.  But it wasn’t for naught – his loyalty and patience were rewarded handsomely.  It was the only reason why Hyun-Ki had retained his services for so long. 

They always took care of each other.

And that was exactly what he had planned on doing today.  Except, he feared it was a mistake to hold the meeting at KT headquarters.  Tension vibrated from the widow’s side and her hands were clasped tightly in her lap.  Her lips were compressed in distaste while a contemptuous look filled her eyes.

Jungho mentally scoffed. 

He never cared too much for her either but Hyun-Ki always chased after a looker.  It was one of his friend’s deepest flaws.  A flaw that got them both into trouble – one too many times.  Eun Solada had the body and face, but he often contemplated whether or not she had a heart to go with.  A perfectionist, never a hair out of place, Solada would royally snub anyone she thought was inferior.  The most damning thing of all was that it had nothing to do with money!  He’d seen with his own eyes the way she blatantly ignored those with heavier pockets.  No, it was based on other standards rooted deep in filial duties, image, and repayment to society.  If there was one nice thing Jungho could say about her, it would be that Solada was an impartial snob. 

She was friendly in the beginning.  A delight pleasure to be around.  But over the years, Solada had grown cold and impersonal.  He had an inkling suspicion his close relationship with Hyun-Ki may have been the reason.  She started to change in the immediate years following the birth of the couple’s first child.  It seemed one child was not enough.  Despite enduring a near-death birthing experience, Solada was desperate for more.  So desperate, in fact, that she near-emptied the coffers to get what she wanted.  All the fertility treatments and those endless rounds of hormone injections!  The numerous hospital bills started to stack up, quietly adding to his friend’s marriage woes.  The more she pushed, the more Hyun-Ki called upon him to go out.  And go out they did!  All the gambling… the women.  Then the risky investments and expansions – ones made out of spite against his brother for whatever mounting reason!  Eventually, the money ran dry and the marriage between the pair dissolved.  They became polite strangers and kept up appearances, maintaining a façade for their only daughter. 

Deep down, Jungho knew could’ve helped prevent the demise of his friend’s marriage.  If only he had refused Hyun-Ki and told him to stay home, then perhaps Solada wouldn’t have grown so bitter in the end.  It was no secret she wanted a large family.  Solada was always happy around children.  And children, for some reason, flocked to her!  Oh, she was still stern and stiff around the little ones, but he could see an inner glow in her eyes that lit up upon the sound of a small child’s request.  If only Hyun-Ki had spent more time procreating with his wife rather than sowing his seeds elsewhere, then perhaps the marriage would have thrived. 

Perhaps.

Jungho’s eyes keenly swept the other side of the room.  They were inside his client’s office and he had yet to explain the preliminary provisions of their upcoming discussions.  The sight of the young man had taken him aback for a moment, for he was only expecting an audience of two – not three.  But it wasn’t just that…  There was something oddly familiar about his face.

“I know you,” Jungho wagged his finger in Youngbae’s general direction.  “You were at the funeral.”

Youngbae nodded his head.

“I did not realize you had married Amina-yah at the time,” he murmured.

“Uh-”

“We weren’t married at the time,” Amina explained in a solemn tone.  “We are recently wed.”

The corners of Jungho’s mouth turned down.  Disapproval gleamed in the depths of his eyes.  “So soon?”

Amina lowered her eyes.

“Don’t expect too much from her,” Mrs. Eun chimed.  “She has done nothing but disappoint us since birth.”

Two red flags slapped across Amina’s cheeks.  She continued to stare at the Persian rug in silence.

“Of course she would marry before the year is even out.  Without mine or her father’s consent,” her mother continued.  “She has no respect for her family or her elders.  No loyalty or trace of honor in her bones.  She just does what she wants without thinking.”

Youngbae stared helplessly at Amina, watching as she bit down hard on her bottom lip.

“I don’t even know why she’s here,” Solada sneered.  “She’s been cut off from the family in every sense of the word.”  She looked over Amina’s bent head.  “Or why he’s even here for that matter!”  Her eyes hardened.  “That bastard has no right to be here!”

“Stop it, umma!” Amina choked out, earning a death glare from her mother.  “Just stop it…”  The whites of Amina’s knuckles were prominent as she fisted them tightly in her lap.  “He has every right to be here.”  Her voice shook on each word and her eyes burned with unshed tears.

“This is for immediate family members only,” Mrs. Eun enunciated, haughtily raising her brow.

“Yeh,” Amina nodded brokenly, a hot tear rolling down her cheek.  “And he is my family.”

Her mother’s nostrils flared.

“He’s more family to me… than you have been.”  Amina faced the elderly man, missing the look of deep hurt in her mother’s eyes.  “Can you please just start, samchon?” Amina asked, forcing her voice to be light.  She angrily swiped at her tear-stained cheek.  “I’d like for you to begin, please.”

An abrupt movement tittered from the corner of her eye.  Amina glanced over and found her mother shooting straight from her chair, a look of bitter rage on her face.  Amina pressed back against her seat as the older woman took a half step, closing the distance between them.  Her mother’s eyes shot fire as she swung her arm back, intent on release.

Amina closed her eyes. 

Another swift motion.

A faint rustling of air near her ankles. 

The heat of his leg pressed against her knees.

“Get your filthy hands off of me!”

Opening her eyes, Amina found Youngbae standing nearly on top of her.  The veins in his neck stood out, while his hand gripped her mother’s wrist tightly.  His face was contorted with fury.  His eyes, dangerously dark, bored straight into her mother’s face. 

The scene brought another fresh sting of tears to Amina’s eyes. 

“Don’t ever touch my wife,” Youngbae seethed.  He tossed away the grip, causing Mrs. Eun’s arm to flail back.

An angry gasp escaped Solada’s mouth as she stepped back a few measured steps.  She pointed her finger straight at Youngbae’s face while her eyes looked wildly over to Jungho.  “Did you see that?  Did you see that bastard grab me?”

Youngbae turned around, ignoring Mrs. Eun’s shrieking tirade.  He placed his hands on either side of Amina’s chair and hunched over, protectively shielding and blocking her view of those behind him.  His eyes worriedly scan her face.  “Jagi…”  He whispered low, cupping her cheek.  “Are you okay?”  He thumbed traces of tear tracks away.

Amina shook her head miserably and blinked. 

“We can leave, if you want to.”

She reached up and covered his hand with hers, drowning in his steady gaze.  “I-I’m fine,” Amina sniffed delicately.  She could see the lines of worry around his eyes and corners of his mouth.  It appeared he wanted to say a lot more but it wasn’t the right time or place. 

They continued looking deeply in each other’s eyes.

“Call security.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter