Chapter 4

Sun-kissed: Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was late.

It was inexcusable.  This was her father's funeral.  She should have arrived in Incheon yesterday, but the last flight out from JFK was delayed due to severe weather.  And she would have been there the day before if she didn't have to take care of paperwork at school first.  It was a mess. All that hard work. Her late night tutoring sessions. Her side jobs.  Her break from Youngbae. 

All for nothing.

They almost didn't find her.  It was spring break and she just so happen to check into the library when the security guard stopped her.  At first she was alarmed, thinking he was mistaken.  But no, he said the Dean of the University was looking for her and to follow him immediately. 

And so she went.

They pulled her into the massive looming office and had an interpreter there, in case she needed one.  But she hadn't stumbled through the first six months of the program without a fight without picking up all she needed to get by.  The Dean was an older white gentleman, with graying blonde hair, and stocky build.  A well respected man at the University, he had already played an important part in Amina's life by allowing her to extend her stay there at the campus beyond her original scheduled program.  He started off slowly, his tone one of regret.  When he finished, he looked towards the interpreter to see if any translations were needed because she just sat there.... motionless.

Amina shook her head, her mind still in shock over the news.  Her body had gone numb but the news still hadn't fully penetrated her yet.  Her eyes looked lost, but her mind was still working.  "Do you know details of the funeral?" she asked in English, already planning for the next step.  There were no tears, no hysteria of emotions.  Just a need to get home.

They slid a copy of the obituary to her; the Hangul letters a first welcoming sight to her eyes of the home she so long missed.  She felt the back of her eyes prick like needles and suddenly blinked the pain away, concentrating on the words instead.

"There's another matter we will need to discuss," the Dean said.  "Your education here at the school."

Amina glanced up upon hearing the dire tone in the Dean's voice.  They had worked with her in allowing her to stay on an extra semester to get her things together, but now... after this.  She wasn't so sure.  And she could already tell by the look on his face, that the news wasn't going to be good.

"As we discussed last summer, we were going to reevaluate your standing in the group after this semester to see whether or not you could be readmitted into the program.  But seeing as how your circumstances are changing once again, I need to ask you.  Will you be returning to us after the funeral?"

A million things ran through her mind.  She had fought so hard for this - her dream. To finish medical school.  But there had been so many obstacles in the way.  First her parents... cutting her off, leaving her no option but to find another way to supplement her education through scholarships.  Then her relationship with Youngbae... a strength that later turned into a weakness.  And now this.  Her father's death.

She looked at him solemnly in the eye.  "I want to thank you for everything that you've helped me with.  I know the burden and steps you had to go through to get my stay extended. But I will not impede upon your generosity any longer.  I think it's time that I go home."

And now she was back.

Almost penniless.  The last minute flight practically emptied out her savings account.  Thankfully, she had put in extra hours at the restaurant to cushion for the emergency expense.  Not that it would help her for very long.  With less than $800 USD, and nearly a 1/5 of that budget already blown for her hotel stay, she needed to find a job - fast.

She could have picked a cheaper place but she didn't plan it out.  She just picked the closest hotel place that she knew of near the hospital where the funeral would take place and checked in.  She told herself it was for one night anyway and to suffer through it.

It was 10:00am.  Today was the last day of the 3-day funeral. The burial was to take place in an hour, with the precession starting about thirty minutes early.  Amina quickly ped her luggage and pulled out her black pant suit and blouse set.  Her hair was still long as before, but was now dyed in ombre shades of brown with the ends hinting faintly of blonde hues.  She quickly tucked her hair into a low bun and hid the changes, lest her mother disapprove.

She put on her blazer and quickly grabbed her wristlet, tucking her room card, debit card, and id inside.  Running down the stairs, she headed to the nearest bus station that would take her to Seoul National University Hospital.

"Were you able to reach her?" Youngbae asked.  The lines around his eyes showed his stress.  It felt like he had asked that same question over ten times within the past three days.  But the answer was always the same.  No one knew anything.

Hanna shook her head. 

Rows and rows of chrysanthemum stands with long flowing ribbons dotted the hallways.  It all led up to the greeting foyer where the signing table and donation box was located.  Since it was the last day of the funeral, the guests had thinned out and only close relatives remained.  Youngbae started pacing again.  "Are you sure she didn't come and go already?  Did you check?"

Hanna stood up from her spot behind the signing desk.  She flipped through the pages.  "I swear... I checked.  And I know for a fact that the other gentlemen that watched the table would have made sure everyone signed in before going inside."  She looked up at him, her eyes sad.  "I don't think she's coming."

"She has to come," he said.  "She's coming."  He said more determinedly.  He knew it deep inside.  There was no way she wasn't coming.  He started pacing again but paused when he heard the faint steps of someone running down the hallway.  It was Dr. Park... and the one he had been waiting for.

They were putting a black hanbok on Amina as she walked, with Dr. Park trying to help clasp the tie in front and Amina carrying the ends of the material off the floor so she wouldn't trip.  He felt his heart start and stop as she continued to come forward.

"Mianhae.... it's a little long," murmured Dr. Park.

Amina looked up from Dr. Park's hands and met his gaze.  Their eyes locked.

"Mimi?"  Hanna stood up and rounded the desk.  She started crying and wrapped Amina in her arms.  "When did you get here... how come you didn't call us when you were coming..." she blubbered on. She was starting to become over upset.

With the aide of Dr. Park, Amina pulled Hanna off her and thanked her. In a calm voice, Amina said to a wild eyed Hanna, "I'll explain later."  She watched as Dr. Park eventually walked Hanna out of the hallway into the main lobby for some fresh air.

Hanna's stress started to rub off on Amina.  She pressed her lips together and turned around.  Youngbae was standing there, waiting patiently for her.  He was wearing a black suit and tie, with his hair combed over but still fashionably styled in his own way.  He looked just like she remembered from all her dreams and more.  But she could tell he was tired.  She noticed the white burlap band around his arm - the one that was only reserved for close male relatives.

She stepped up to him and touched his arm, feeling the coarse material.  She gazed up questioningly into his eyes.  "How long have you been here?"

Youngbae looked into her eyes.  They were tired but steady.  He could tell she had lost some weight while living in the States, but other than that she still looked the same to him.  Same wide brown eyes, full lush lips, and soft curving high cheek bones.  The same one that haunted his dreams night after night.  He ached to touch her.  Instead he replied, "Every day."

Amina's eyes marginally widened.  "Every day? Since the funeral started?"

He nodded.

Her eyes softened. Knowing that he came by each day to visit her father when she couldn't touched her deeply.  She let out a sigh and rested her head against his chest, wrapping her arms around his body.  "Gomawo."

Youngbae pulled her closer to him and rested his cheek against her temple.  He wanted to relish the feel of her in his arms more, but felt her pull back.  He let her go.

"I better go inside," she explained, her eyes regretful. She peered towards the direction of the funeral room.

He understood.  There would be time for them later.  "Do you want me t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter